Jump to topic:

Depression

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 8:46:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A lot of people on here have mentioned that they are or have been depressed.

I always hated seeing therapists. I hate people who try to get you out of your depressive mood with happy-fluffy-bunny optimism. I think overzealous optimism is as illogical and useless and hyperbolic pessimism. So anyway, I used this "antidepressant skills workbook" that I found online which really appeals to your sense of reason and logic in combating repetitive, hyperbolic, woe-is-me depressive thoughts. So since it appeals to that aspect of people, I thought it might help many DDO members who suffer from depression (quite the rational bunch, all things considered). Of course, if you have a real chemical imbalance, being proactive can only do so much. You should see a doctor. But if you have issues with minor depression or want a new way to approach an old problem, this workbook is free and helped me a lot. So here ya go:
http://www.comh.ca...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 8:47:18 PM
At 12/8/2012 8:46:02 PM, Oryus wrote:
A lot of people on here have mentioned that they are or have been depressed.

I always hated seeing therapists. I hate people who try to get you out of your depressive mood with happy-fluffy-bunny optimism. I think overzealous optimism is as illogical and useless and hyperbolic pessimism. So anyway, I used this "antidepressant skills workbook" that I found online which really appeals to your sense of reason and logic in combating repetitive, hyperbolic, woe-is-me depressive thoughts. So since it appeals to that aspect of people, I thought it might help many DDO members who suffer from depression (quite the rational bunch, all things considered). Of course, if you have a real chemical imbalance, being proactive can only do so much. You should see a doctor. But if you have issues with minor depression or want a new way to approach an old problem, this workbook is free and helped me a lot. So here ya go:
http://www.comh.ca...

This is pretty awesome of you to provide.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 8:52:17 PM
At 12/8/2012 8:47:18 PM, drafterman wrote:
This is pretty awesome of you to provide.

Hey, it was pretty awesome of those doctors to write it and provide it online for free!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 8:54:42 PM
Psychologists aren't there to raise your hopes. They often use good methods that can help you cope with your behavior or thoughts. The mere fact that one submits himself to such an authority can help oneself follow advice and repel some negative thoughts. This is specific to people with compulsive behaviors, such as those with OCD.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 8:58:08 PM
At 12/8/2012 8:54:42 PM, Mirza wrote:
Psychologists aren't there to raise your hopes. They often use good methods that can help you cope with your behavior or thoughts. The mere fact that one submits himself to such an authority can help oneself follow advice and repel some negative thoughts. This is specific to people with compulsive behaviors, such as those with OCD.

Oh, I wasn't equating psychologists with "people who raise your hopes." I meant to say, I hate seeing therapists (just my personal thing) AND I also hate people who, to use your words, raise your hopes unrealistically. In my experience, the latter group contains well-meaning though misguided friends and family members.
:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:00:55 PM
I remember having this discussion previously. What your referring to is Cognitive-Behavior therapy which has been shown to be the most effective psychology method for fighting depression. A lot of therapist will use CBT and give you guidebooks using them.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:03:19 PM
At 12/8/2012 8:58:08 PM, Oryus wrote:
In my experience, the latter group contains well-meaning though misguided friends and family members.
Yes. That's correct. In fact, I'd recommend abstaining from asking for their advice, unless they have a good trend of listening and actually trying to help. I read a quote by Lou Holtz, on a member's signature here, "Never tell your problems to anyone -- 20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them."
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:06:02 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:00:55 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I remember having this discussion previously. What your referring to is Cognitive-Behavior therapy which has been shown to be the most effective psychology method for fighting depression. A lot of therapist will use CBT and give you guidebooks using them.

Yeah, the last time I went to see a therapist some years ago, they tried to tell me to enroll me in some CBT program. I didn't have the time or money to invest in such a thing and didn't really feel I needed such an intensive thing like that at all. So I went home, did some research, and found the above link. It worked great. Perfectly, really. It was exactly what I needed and I have very easily curbed depressive thoughts since I came across it- no therapist necessary. But that's just me, of course.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:13:11 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:03:19 PM, Mirza wrote:
In my experience, the latter group contains well-meaning though misguided friends and family members.
Yes. That's correct. In fact, I'd recommend abstaining from asking for their advice, unless they have a good trend of listening and actually trying to help. I read a quote by Lou Holtz, on a member's signature here, "Never tell your problems to anyone -- 20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them."

lol Now that is a sad set of stats.
:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:15:30 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:13:11 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/8/2012 9:03:19 PM, Mirza wrote:

lol Now that is a sad set of stats.

I'd also add that 90% will gossip to others about your problems.
Open borders debate:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:17:50 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:15:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:
In that case, only if you tell your problems to women.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:18:39 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:17:50 PM, Mirza wrote:

males are gossipers as well.
Open borders debate:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:20:01 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:18:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
males are gossipers as well.
Relax sir. Yes, though women do hold the record by a slight margin.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:26:04 PM
Men and women gossip about the same amount. Men are, however, less likely to admit to it and are less likely to gossip with other men in front of women.

Anyway, please take your simplistic sexist stereotypes to another thread. This thread was created to help curb depression, not augment it. Thanks.
:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:27:31 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:26:04 PM, Oryus wrote:
Men and women gossip about the same amount. Men are, however, less likely to admit to it and are less likely to gossip with other men in front of women.

Anyway, please take your simplistic sexist stereotypes to another thread. This thread was created to help curb depression, not augment it. Thanks.

Owned :P
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:32:40 PM
Oyrus, The data I've seen generally shows a lead on women's side. Not by a great margin, but a difference nonetheless. If you don't want a discussion on this, don't label someone's random, non-serious statement as sexist. Some people don't appreciate that. Myself, in particular.

At 12/8/2012 9:27:31 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Nope. Never.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:39:06 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:32:40 PM, Mirza wrote:
Oyrus, The data I've seen generally shows a lead on women's side. Not by a great margin, but a difference nonetheless. If you don't want a discussion on this, don't label someone's random, non-serious statement as sexist. Some people don't appreciate that. Myself, in particular.

At 12/8/2012 9:27:31 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Nope. Never.

At 12/8/2012 9:17:50 PM, Mirza wrote:

Oh really? Well, a "slight margin" or a "lead" doesn't denote a full "difference" to me which would justify the statement "only if you tell your problems to women." This "difference" is not a matter of type as in, "only" women gossip. Your initial statement was an exaggerated stereotype of a slight difference. If you are exaggerating a statistic having to do with gender and presenting it as a gender stereotype, you are being sexist. That doesn't mean you're a bad person or that you hate women. It just means you said something sexist. Just acknowledge it and please don't do it again. I'm sure you get quite sick of people stereotyping Muslims as women-haters. I get quite sick of people stereotyping women as "gossipers." Thank you for not doing it again.
:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:43:56 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:39:06 PM, Oryus wrote:
Oh really?
Indeed.

Well, a "slight margin" or a "lead" doesn't denote a full "difference" to me which would justify the statement
Non-serious statement, to be precise. Moving on --

"only if you tell your problems to women."
Followed by "Yes relax" to imply that it was not serious.

This "difference" is not a matter of type as in, "only" women gossip. Your initial statement was an exaggerated stereotype of a slight difference.
No. And that you take it to this level of seriousness is very entertaining.

If you are exaggerating a statistic having to do with gender and presenting it as a gender stereotype, you are being sexist.
Which I was not doing, thank you very much.

That doesn't mean you're a bad person or that you hate women. It just means you said something sexist.
I guess stand-up comedians encourage murder and rape and all that when they say uh, non-serious stuff.

Just acknowledge it and please don't do it again.
I can't promise that.

I'm sure you get quite sick of people stereotyping Muslims as women-haters.
The difference is that whey they joke with us having 100 wives and 300 kids, I realize it's a joke.

I get quite sick of people stereotyping women as "gossipers." Thank you for not doing it again.
Thank you for wasting your own time Ma'am.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:07:46 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:43:56 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/8/2012 9:39:06 PM, Oryus wrote:
Oh really?
Indeed.

Well, a "slight margin" or a "lead" doesn't denote a full "difference" to me which would justify the statement
Non-serious statement, to be precise. Moving on --

"only if you tell your problems to women."
Followed by "Yes relax" to imply that it was not serious.

This "difference" is not a matter of type as in, "only" women gossip. Your initial statement was an exaggerated stereotype of a slight difference.
No. And that you take it to this level of seriousness is very entertaining.

Oh, I was under the impression that you prioritized rational discussion on DDO. Apparently I was mistaken... Oh well. I guess the drugs from my abortion today haven't worn off and I'm a little loopy. I'll bounce back though. The fetus on the other hand......
If you are exaggerating a statistic having to do with gender and presenting it as a gender stereotype, you are being sexist.
Which I was not doing, thank you very much.

lol Uh, yeah, you clearly were. I characterized it as a sexist "statement." Apparently, I should have said sexist "joke." It was a sexist exaggeration whether it was "serious" or "non-serious" and DK saw that it was incorrect as well. But, hey, if you want to be a dishonest douche, go right ahead.
That doesn't mean you're a bad person or that you hate women. It just means you said something sexist.
I guess stand-up comedians encourage murder and rape and all that when they say uh, non-serious stuff.

This doesn't even make any sense at all.
Just acknowledge it and please don't do it again.
I can't promise that.

I'm sure you get quite sick of people stereotyping Muslims as women-haters.
The difference is that whey they joke with us having 100 wives and 300 kids, I realize it's a joke.

I get quite sick of people stereotyping women as "gossipers." Thank you for not doing it again.
Thank you for wasting your own time Ma'am.

Yes, attempting to engage in rational discussion with you is often a waste of time. You are correct.
:
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:09:13 PM
Thanks for providing this Oryus. I read a little bit of it and it certainly is useful information.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:38:53 PM
At 12/8/2012 10:33:52 PM, tulle wrote:
CBT is free in Canada. You have to be referred into a program though.

Yeah, I'm not surprised. It was the most expensive option here (aside from inpatient care, I suppose?). I'm sure it varies from place to place though.
:
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:39:54 PM
At 12/8/2012 10:29:10 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Geez. Why are you people so down? What causes your depression?

Macho Man Randy Savage died some time ago. Since then, I have been emotionally dead.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:42:15 PM
Oryus, You're trying too hard at having a case against me. Considering your ability to comprehend English isn't very strong, I was wrong in assuming you'd get the wit after an explanation.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:42:25 PM
At 12/8/2012 10:39:54 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 12/8/2012 10:29:10 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Geez. Why are you people so down? What causes your depression?

Macho Man Randy Savage died some time ago. Since then, I have been emotionally dead.

Totally understandable. Actually, I think there is a chapter about Macho Man Randy Savage in the booklet.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:46:00 PM
At 12/8/2012 10:42:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
Oryus, You're trying too hard at having a case against me. Considering your ability to comprehend English isn't very strong, I was wrong in assuming you'd get the wit after an explanation.

LOL

Mirza, you made a sexist joke. I called it sexist because it was sexist. Get over it. I think you are overestimating how offended I am just as much as you are overestimating your own reading comprehension skills.

FYI: That was not an "explanation" that you just gave. That was you arrogantly ego-stroking because you "Never" get pwned. Sorry to have threatened your manhood, Ma'am.
:
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:46:41 PM
both men and women are horrible gossipers, but in fairness to mirza, women stay much more in contact with each other and just everyone and thus get much more gossiping done. facebook activity is probably like 70% female for example, if not more. surely.
signature
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:52:32 PM
At 12/8/2012 10:46:00 PM, Oryus wrote:
LOL

Mirza, you made a sexist joke. I called it sexist because it was sexist. Get over it. I think you are overestimating how offended I am just as much as you are overestimating your own reading comprehension skills.
Let's get this straight. "Sexism" is used to describe serious belief or attitude. If a joke is "sexist," then it's serious, hence not a joke in the first place. If you go by the idiotic, lax definition of "sexist" for making fun of a general remark, and not a statement of truth, then... I'm a sexist. Sure. Try to experience chit-chats with other people for a while, and you'll probably label at least half of them sexist -- if using your lax and idiotic definition.

Start tolerating jokes.

FYI: That was not an "explanation" that you just gave. That was you arrogantly ego-stroking because you "Never" get pwned. Sorry to have threatened your manhood, Ma'am.
No Ma'am, my manhood is steady as a rock!