Jump to topic:

Big life decision

cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 8:34:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, right now in life it is time to choose what I want to do in life. But i have a huge problem. I want to either go into film or law.

I really want to get into acting and directing. My friends and family say I have a natural knack for it and some say I could definately get a future off of it. It's what I really want to do. But it is a very risky path that if i do go down it, it is very hard to be successful and famous.

With law, people also say I am good. I have won several city and state tournaments, so I am also good at that. Also, it is a less risky job and has great pay.

At first I thought that I would have more time to think about it, but now I don't. Here is the problem:

My AP chemisty teacher says if I pass this semester and next semester with at least a 'B', then she will talk to some people she knows and try to get me a film internship. I pretty much know i will, so if I stay at this school, i will probably get a film internship.

But I have the grades to go to a different school that has a great debate team and law courses. So now that option is open.

Right now it's like i'm playing the board game life. Do i take risky road or safe path?

What do I do? Law or film?
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 8:52:59 PM
Have you experienced anything in the legal field? Debate isn't exactly the same as law. You need to have strong writing skills and enjoy writing because more likely than not, you will be sitting at a desk writing reports most of the time. Plus, you need to be sure that you will get into an Ivy League Law School because the job market for lawyers from any other school is pretty bad (seriously, Google this if you do not believe me). The other thing to note is that Alaska is not exactly a powerhouse debate state (I am not trying to be offensive; I am just stating a fact).

I would suggest interning with a local lawyer or local judge to see what the job is like. You still might love it. I interned with a local judge for a couple of days and loved civil trials.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 8:53:18 PM
At 12/11/2012 8:34:30 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
So, right now in life it is time to choose what I want to do in life. But i have a huge problem. I want to either go into film or law.

I really want to get into acting and directing. My friends and family say I have a natural knack for it and some say I could definately get a future off of it. It's what I really want to do. But it is a very risky path that if i do go down it, it is very hard to be successful and famous.

With law, people also say I am good. I have won several city and state tournaments, so I am also good at that. Also, it is a less risky job and has great pay.

At first I thought that I would have more time to think about it, but now I don't. Here is the problem:

My AP chemisty teacher says if I pass this semester and next semester with at least a 'B', then she will talk to some people she knows and try to get me a film internship. I pretty much know i will, so if I stay at this school, i will probably get a film internship.

But I have the grades to go to a different school that has a great debate team and law courses. So now that option is open.

Right now it's like i'm playing the board game life. Do i take risky road or safe path?

There is no "safe path" through life. Flip a coin and choose one. At this stage of your life what you think is important today will be utterly meaningless and pointless to you in 5 years time. What one wants and what one gets in life almost never is the same. There are so many variables that will move your path through life that it is nearly impossible to predict what you will be doing in five years. Law and film might be neither. So just pick one, makes no difference, you are so young. Something as simple as meeting a girl can throw your whole game plan out the window over night.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 8:53:53 PM
You're not even in college yet. Take the film internship. Legal internships and classes will come with time. You don't have to make the decision right away, and you can even major in Film in college and still go to law school.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 9:39:23 PM
Be a rapper.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 9:43:16 PM
At 12/11/2012 8:53:53 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
You're not even in college yet. Take the film internship. Legal internships and classes will come with time. You don't have to make the decision right away, and you can even major in Film in college and still go to law school.

This.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 9:56:01 PM
1. You're only in highschool. You don't have to make a life decision yet.
2. You can major in film in college and still go to law school. Just get all As. (My dad majored in Computer Science in school, he's a lawyer now--went to NYU for law.)
3. The job market sucks either way, so don't base it on that.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 10:41:14 PM
At 12/11/2012 9:39:23 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Be a rapper.

This
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 11:29:21 PM
At 12/11/2012 9:56:01 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
2. You can major in film in college and still go to law school. Just get all As. (My dad majored in Computer Science in school, he's a lawyer now--went to NYU for law.)

Ehh I wouldn't risk majoring in film and plan on getting into a good law school. Computer science or engineering on the other hand and you can take your pick of law schools.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 11:36:24 PM
At 12/11/2012 11:24:58 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Here I was expecting someone to be pregnant.

LOLd
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 11:57:51 PM
At 12/11/2012 9:43:16 PM, 16kadams wrote:

This.

agreed. If you're worried about getting into a top notch film or law school, then getting good grades and extracurricular activities would count more then what school you go to.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 1:15:17 AM
A lot of the responses there are is that I'm too young to be making this decision and icebound take my time.

1. The semester is practically over. I have 1 week to decide what school I go to.

2. I DO have to make the choice. If I take one option, the other ones chance is very minuscule. So I do have to make the choice.

3. This IS a life decision. taking the film internship will put me at a higher level of film and greatly shape my career. Same with going to the other school. It had a great debate team and great classes and courses on law. Whichever decision I make will make hard for me to turn back.

4. I'm a junior in high school. This Is it. If I take the internship, I have one year left until I start college. If I take law, the focus of my studies at the other school is going to be primarily law.

What do I do?
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 1:16:14 AM
At 12/11/2012 11:57:51 PM, darkkermit wrote:

This.

agreed. If you're worried about getting into a top notch film or law school, then getting good grades and extracurricular activities would count more then what school you go to.

What degree you get matters. Get straight A's in organizational management and do every club sport you still aren't getting into a school over an average student with a degree in mechanical engineering.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 3:01:03 AM
Take up the film internship. That's not always an opportunity. You can go into law any time.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 7:19:40 AM
Just know that if you want to have a fun time in college, and then struggle through life, take the film thingy.

If you wanna have a horrible time in college, and have a much better chance at life take law. Though, I have yet to meet a happy lawyer. You'll think for the rest of your life, "if only," or "what if."

But trust me, dont take out any loans to go to school for any type of entertainment.
kfc
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 12:34:35 PM
At 12/12/2012 1:16:14 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 12/11/2012 11:57:51 PM, darkkermit wrote:

This.

What degree you get matters. Get straight A's in organizational management and do every club sport you still aren't getting into a school over an average student with a degree in mechanical engineering.

he's still in high school.
Open borders debate:
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 3:26:35 PM
Go to law school and attend casting calls in your spare time. If you're good, you'll get rolls. If you're really good, you'll get better roles and more recognition. But in the meantime, you have bills and priorities. Being a film major seriously limits your chances and is completely unnecessary. 75% of your favorite actors have no formal theater experience. You either have the skill or you don't.

Go to law school.... attend casting calls in your spare time.

Dilemma solved.

You're welcome
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 3:40:22 PM
Are you hopelessly evil with no soul at all?

If not, then you lack the basic qualifications to be a lawyer anyway, and you'll have to find something else.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 4:37:44 PM
At 12/11/2012 11:24:58 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Here I was expecting someone to be pregnant.

This will definitely change your plans and yes, it happens overnight! LOL
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 4:40:35 PM
At 12/12/2012 1:15:17 AM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
A lot of the responses there are is that I'm too young to be making this decision and icebound take my time.

1. The semester is practically over. I have 1 week to decide what school I go to.

2. I DO have to make the choice. If I take one option, the other ones chance is very minuscule. So I do have to make the choice.

3. This IS a life decision. taking the film internship will put me at a higher level of film and greatly shape my career. Same with going to the other school. It had a great debate team and great classes and courses on law. Whichever decision I make will make hard for me to turn back.

4. I'm a junior in high school. This Is it. If I take the internship, I have one year left until I start college. If I take law, the focus of my studies at the other school is going to be primarily law.

What do I do?

Flip a coin , all things as you describe them are equal. The fact that you can't decide on your own is very telling about your future.

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2012 8:27:13 PM
At 12/12/2012 4:40:35 PM, sadolite wrote:
Flip a coin , all things as you describe them are equal. The fact that you can't decide on your own is very telling about your future.

lol, no it's not. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my life when I was a junior in HS. Actually I did, but that plan changed - many, many times. It changes for almost everyone I know. What he's going through and worrying about is perfectly natural. He will figure it out in time, and probably change his mind many times along the way depending on future interests and potential opportunities. It's HILARIOUS to me when I see young'ns on this website obsessed/worried about their future. You have absolutely no idea what's in store. Just make sure that whatever you do, do the best you can. I know people who get degrees in economics and then go into nursing. I know people who took up art in college and now work as recruiters (head hunters). Right now, you probably have no bills to pay and aren't desperate to have a career right away. Do what you love, but network and make connections with people. In the future, when you need references or referrals, you'll have experience under your belt (internships of any kind are good) as well as spent time learning, doing what you love, and expanding your opportunities while not completely disregarding your future in general. There's no reason why you can't/shouldn't take the film internship now, given that it won't remotely negate your opportunity to pursue law in the future. I doubt this will set you back at all.
President of DDO
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 12:32:02 PM
At 12/11/2012 8:34:30 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:

Why not direct a remake of To Kill A Mockingbird?

Harry.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 5:21:16 PM
At 12/12/2012 8:27:13 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 12/12/2012 4:40:35 PM, sadolite wrote:

lol, no it's not. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my life when I was a junior in HS. Actually I did, but that plan changed - many, many times. It changes for almost everyone I know. What he's going through and worrying about is perfectly natural. He will figure it out in time, and probably change his mind many times along the way depending on future interests and potential opportunities. It's HILARIOUS to me when I see young'ns on this website obsessed/worried about their future. You have absolutely no idea what's in store. Just make sure that whatever you do, do the best you can. I know people who get degrees in economics and then go into nursing. I know people who took up art in college and now work as recruiters (head hunters). Right now, you probably have no bills to pay and aren't desperate to have a career right away. Do what you love, but network and make connections with people. In the future, when you need references or referrals, you'll have experience under your belt (internships of any kind are good) as well as spent time learning, doing what you love, and expanding your opportunities while not completely disregarding your future in general. There's no reason why you can't/shouldn't take the film internship now, given that it won't remotely negate your opportunity to pursue law in the future. I doubt this will set you back at all.

You have just said what I have already said. And yes, being indecisive is the biggest factor in where your future takes you.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:12:48 PM
Never EVER go into something just because the money is good. Do whatever you are the most passionate about. I mean, the worst case scenario is that you have to waitress or something.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:15:17 PM
At 12/13/2012 6:12:48 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Never EVER go into something just because the money is good. Do whatever you are the most passionate about. I mean, the worst case scenario is that you have to waitress or something.

said the guy who would prostitute himself for $5 million :p.
Open borders debate:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:20:34 PM
At 12/13/2012 6:15:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:

First off, it's 3K. Secondly, it's only for ten minutes. It's not a carrear
path:P
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 6:34:49 PM
At 12/13/2012 6:20:34 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 12/13/2012 6:15:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:

First off, it's 3K. Secondly, it's only for ten minutes. It's not a carrear
path:P

butt you're still doing something because the money is good.
Open borders debate:
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2012 8:34:02 PM
At 12/11/2012 11:29:21 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 12/11/2012 9:56:01 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Ehh I wouldn't risk majoring in film and plan on getting into a good law school. Computer science or engineering on the other hand and you can take your pick of law schools.

...You do realize that if you get straight As in your undergrad and do extremely well on your LSATs it does not matter what your major is really. Look film can actually help an application to law school. It is something new that not everyone can do.

You just have to prove that you have what it takes to get in. Get recommendations from the research heavy courses and highlight those research heavy courses on your transcript. If you can show that you can do the work, you will get in.