Jump to topic:

My First Car

Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 7:57:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I just got my first car and I know nothing about car mechanics and what to do to care for it. What should I be checking for or listening for and what can I do in various situations. I'm pretty sure the car is a good one, because my uncle, a very worth and trusted mechanic, is the one who chose the car for me.

Anyways, once I get it registered and onto the road, I am planning on getting a detailed car wash and waxing. And maybe buy some nice seat covers.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 10:43:09 AM
Make sure the air pressure is correct for each tire. I think it's 30 pounds if it's a smaller car but you should check to make sure. Having the tires not properly inflated causes them to wear down. You can see on the edges where the groves are becoming smooth if it's like that. It helps to make your tires last longer as well as saving gas.

I'm not very car savvy though, so that's the only advice I can think of.

Also, is it an automatic or manual? Because manuals are a lot simpler and easier to fix. My first car will be a manual I think because of that. Plus they're just more fun to drive.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 4:10:12 PM
At 12/20/2012 7:57:09 AM, Jordan56 wrote:
So I just got my first car and I know nothing about car mechanics and what to do to care for it. What should I be checking for or listening for and what can I do in various situations. I'm pretty sure the car is a good one, because my uncle, a very worth and trusted mechanic, is the one who chose the car for me.

Anyways, once I get it registered and onto the road, I am planning on getting a detailed car wash and waxing. And maybe buy some nice seat covers.

Buy a repair manual for your make and model. It will more than likely cover several different models as most cars are the same under the hood within a model series.. It will tell you more than you ever want to know. It will even tell you about noises and vibrations and what causes them. Go to any local parts store and they will have it. $20.00 to $25.00
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 5:11:51 PM
Get a super expensive sound system and give everyone who gets stuck behind you in traffic a headache.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 5:14:24 PM
Go to this web site and download the standard vehicle service schedule, if you want to register (I think it's free) you can input your make and model and it will provide a customized service schedule for you.

http://www.carcare.org...
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 11:47:48 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Get regular maintenance on your car. I mean it. Oil changes at the recommended interval, every time. Think about it, your engine is basically just metal and exploding gasoline. The oil is extremely important. You can even change it yourself, if you have the time and patience, it's not difficult.

You should also make sure you have good tires with a decent amount of tread, and check the tire pressure often. You can get a tire pressure gauge for just a few dollars, and it's worth every penny. Oh, and you should learn to change a tire. At some point, a tire will crap out on you, and it's wicked cool to be able to DIY it instead of having to call for help. If you're not the least bit mechanically inclined, AAA is well worth it.

Get used to the way your car sounds (meaning, "turn your darn radio off"), and look up any weird noises in the service manual. These will alert you to most problems. While we're on the subject, make sure you have said manual. It's worth it.

Oh, and keep jumper cables in your car. A surprising amount of people do not have them, but many people will need them. Be one of the people that has them.