Jump to topic:

I need some help.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:19:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Lately (the past couple of weeks) I haven't been able to do anything requiring mental effort. I used to pick and argue easy debates (creationist, tariffs) but now I'm realizing just what being an intellectual requires. Perhaps I'm demanding too much of myself. I used to look up to people like WriterDave and Contradiction as geniuses, but know I just see them as equals. I know that I can debate on their level, but I simply can't even start on such an effort. It isn't just laziness, something's physically stopping me. Every time I try to apply myself my mind goes blank and I end up doing nothing.

I recently went to Israel for a week, and the jet lag harmed me a great deal. It's a twelve hour flight. My father and me usually get on Business class (he has benefits from working at Delta) but on the way back I flew coach, and it is a horrific experience. I couldn't sleep the entire time and I hurt myself from sitting in one position too long. The effects lasted for a few days after I returned, so I basically slept all day, not to mention I was debating Danielle at the same time (meaning I had to post extremely long, detailed, rounds while I was in Israel and after I came home). The mental effort has harmed me as well. I can't even focus on basic debates, much less argue on the level of the top debaters here. I'm beginning to realize that the quality of debates on this site are determined by motivation and discipline rather than education.

Nevertheless, the problem extends into all areas of my life. I don't do Khan Academy anymore because my mind invariably wanders every time I watch a video. Even the thought of doing anything that requires commitment or could be mentally taxing makes me feel ill. I stay in bed most of the day (I no longer have interest in social interactions either), although I'm not sick or physically weak at all. YYW gave me a PDF of The Republic, but I couldn't even concentrate past the introduction (I do want to read it, though). I intended to ask this a few days ago, but even the thought of typing up this much intimidated me. This can't just be a result of jet lag and mental exhaustion; I genuinely think there's something wrong with me. I'm thinking about going to a psychologist, but I would like advice from people on this site.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:26:56 AM
how do your parents even allow you to make these terrible life choices? Do you at least work or are looking for employment?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:28:50 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:26:56 AM, darkkermit wrote:
how do your parents even allow you to make these terrible life choices? Do you at least work or are looking for employment?

Did you read the OP?

I'm not looking for work yet. No one will take me before I have a GED.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:30:07 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:28:50 AM, MouthWash wrote:

Did you read the OP?

Yes, you didn't mention anything about it. When are you scheduled to take your GED?
Open borders debate:
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:33:10 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:30:07 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Did you read the OP?

Yes, you didn't mention anything about it. When are you scheduled to take your GED?

I don't have a schedule. I'll take it when I can finally pick up my book and memorize the facts necessary to pass (should take me a few days). Right now I can't so much as debate subjects I'm interested in, much less study things that I can't stand even when I had motivation.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:37:12 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:33:22 AM, darkkermit wrote:
http://www.quickmeme.com...

That isn't my main problem at all. Thanks for ignoring my entire OP and focusing on the things you found entertaining.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:39:48 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:33:10 AM, MouthWash wrote:

Did you read the OP?

I don't have a schedule. I'll take it when I can finally pick up my book and memorize the facts necessary to pass (should take me a few days). Right now I can't so much as debate subjects I'm interested in, much less study things that I can't stand even when I had motivation.

dude, the GED exam is fvcking easy. Just schedule your god damn exam. You said you only need a few days anyways.

Your parents are way too lenient on you for subsidizing your freeloading lifestyle without asking you to learn a trade or at least pushing you to do your GED.
Open borders debate:
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:42:31 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:39:48 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/25/2012 11:33:10 AM, MouthWash wrote:

Did you read the OP?

dude, the GED exam is fvcking easy. Just schedule your god damn exam. You said you only need a few days anyways.

Your parents are way too lenient on you for subsidizing your freeloading lifestyle without asking you to learn a trade or at least pushing you to do your GED.

I can't. I need to learn a few facts about chemistry and practice graphing before I'm ready. Right now those things are beyond me.

Inb4 "you are lazy boo hoo hoo."
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:45:47 AM
Why are you taking the GED? Go to an actual school. Experiencing life and becoming a dynamic individual is more than whatever your own perceptions of intelligence and debating that you think you're great at are.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:47:12 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:45:47 AM, LeafRod wrote:
Why are you taking the GED? Go to an actual school. Experiencing life and becoming a dynamic individual is more than whatever your own perceptions of intelligence and debating that you think you're great at are.

You missed that topic a long time ago:

Basically everyone advised him not to do it, and he did it anyways.
Open borders debate:
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:47:17 AM

No. School harmed me far more than anything I've done in my life. I will not go to school, and your brainwashed repetition will not encourage me to do so.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:47:40 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:47:12 AM, darkkermit wrote:

You missed that topic a long time ago:

Basically everyone advised him not to do it, and he did it anyways.

Did you read WSA's post?
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:50:37 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:49:10 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Oh lol at our predictions coming true.

Help me or kindly don't post. I would not be any more motivated to do anything even if I were in school. During my final days there, I flatly refused to do several assignments and gave sarcastic answers on tests.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:56:58 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:50:37 AM, MouthWash wrote:

Help me or kindly don't post. I would not be any more motivated to do anything even if I were in school. During my final days there, I flatly refused to do several assignments and gave sarcastic answers on tests.

i am helping. you should feel like a useless piece of sh1t. Then can you work on improving yourself :). Although i put some blame on your parents for allowing your parasitic living to continue without consequences.

http://cdn2.planetminecraft.com...
Open borders debate:
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:58:32 AM
At 12/25/2012 11:56:58 AM, darkkermit wrote:

i am helping. you should feel like a useless piece of sh1t. Then can you work on improving yourself :). Although i put some blame on your parents for allowing your parasitic living to continue without consequences.

Nothing more to say, I see.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 12:15:13 PM

We can't help an idiot (no offense (ok offense))
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 1:54:28 PM
This is what I can't stand about libertarians.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 2:24:10 PM
You can't do mental work, but how about physical? If you were laying down, but then your parents told you to do a couple chores, could you get up and do it with minimal difficulty?
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 3:07:04 PM
At 12/25/2012 1:54:28 PM, MouthWash wrote:
This is what I can't stand about libertarians.

Hey, hey watch it.

I've had similar feelings before, a lack of motivation. Regarding DDO, just finish the debate, then take a break from debates and you'll feel better about it. Only do debates you are interested in.

About your problem finishing articles, I fully share this experience. I'd say just try and do other things, new activities and fill your time with something else. Exercise helps in this regard, especially running or weight lifting. Listen to some calming music when you study, as this keeps you interested, also study in an area where you are pressured to stay there for longer, more intense periods of time. I use a bean bag chair behind a coffee table, works really nice, and away from a TV, PC, other distractions.

Try fixing your sleep schedule too or you'll feel like crap.

Try to make yourself feel useful and productive as this gives you motivation. Try to set goals for yourself, etc.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 3:14:56 PM
Dude, it's simple.
Step 1: do what you're trying to do

There.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 3:41:22 PM
At 12/25/2012 2:24:10 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
You can't do mental work, but how about physical? If you were laying down, but then your parents told you to do a couple chores, could you get up and do it with minimal difficulty?

I could do it, but it wouldn't be easy for me.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 3:43:52 PM
At 12/25/2012 3:14:56 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Dude, it's simple.
Step 1: do what you're trying to do

There.

Now your opinion on Amanda Todd's suicide makes sense.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 7:32:33 PM
At 12/25/2012 11:47:17 AM, MouthWash wrote:

No. School harmed me far more than anything I've done in my life. I will not go to school, and your brainwashed repetition will not encourage me to do so.

Shut up. I just looked through that entire damn thread, and what I said was different from everything in it, except for perhaps an allusion or two in a couple of the longer posts.

Although I do think your evaluation of education is restrictive, I'm not talking about that at all. I'm saying that high school, and college, and more, are multidimensional experiences that provide far more value and simple enjoyment to a dynamic and fulfilling life beyond academic material.

I cannot imagine how high school "harmed" you. One possibility, likely given that you're on this site, is that you have an unbelievably inflated and narrow sense of self-worth and intelligence that leads you to believe everything you learn in school is useless, and that you're too good to be "used" by the "system" or whatever (are you a libertarian? same concepts). That's dumb. Open your mind and learn to see the value in all of the diverse experiences school puts you through.

Another possibility is that you are actually having social issues at school, and that this is some kind of overblown defense mechanisms. I doubt that's the case, but if it actually is, I would love to talk to you about it.

It seems like you haven't had a single conversation on this subject that extends beyond a narrow and vague disconnected chain consisting of intelligence, education levels, and jobs. There's a lot more to life than this. My education has affected me in a far more profound way than what I've learned in lectures and textbooks. It's the experiences and the people and the conversations and the reflection and more. Passing a test might show that you have learned the academic subjects you would learn in high school, but that's a very small piece of what schools can do for you.
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 8:14:51 PM
You just have ADHD. You should see a psychologist for diagnosis, you probably didn't realise you had it before.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 8:15:24 PM
At 12/25/2012 8:14:51 PM, RationalMadman wrote:
You just have ADHD. You should see a psychologist for diagnosis, you probably didn't realise you had it before.

It's probably ADD since you mention laziness.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.