Jump to topic:

Lost in NYC On Christmas Eve: A True Story

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 1:19:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The following is something unstructured and random which I wrote in my journal about a crazy experience which I had on a Christmas Eve which was far crazier than I expected it to be. Read it if you like short stories, or you like me, or you like short stories about/written by me, or you have nothing better to do... Or some unique combination of those options.

On Christmas Eve, while in the city that never sleeps, I finally saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. It was, to say the least, crazy, and crazily enjoyable. It was probably the best time I've ever had in a movie theater. And that includes times I've spent in movie theaters doing crazy things aside from seeing movies. But the real crazy and unexpected journey begins after the movie comes to an inevitable and satisfying close. I walk out, my legs feeling like jelly, as they should after sitting through a nearly 3 hour long movie and the excitedly anticipatory few minutes of previews that preceded it. Still, nothing, not even this epic motion feature from which I honestly feel like I might have learned a life lesson or two... No, nothing at all could have prepared me for the utter insanity that would follow it shortly thereafter.

I head over from the movie theater to Rockefeller Center. There, I basked briefly in the ambiance of a famously huge and well-lighted Christmas tree while walking and chatting with my friend. Somehow, in some clumsy moment of spazziness and silence, I got lost from the company with which I was chilling (literally chilling - 'tis the season to be freezing your @$$ off). I could have sworn I saw them rounding the corner the moment I looked around, realizing with dread what might have just occurred - but it was a fleeting vision. I might have not seen them at all; it could have been my over-active imagination and in fact looking back, I suspect it was. They could have been gone for hours. Were they even ever with me? Where the fvck am I, anyway, and what's with the cold and the snow and the voices and movements of the crowd that has just enveloped me like a black hole of simultaneous everythingness and nothingness? In the immediate panic, as chaos sets in from all around me, feasting on every area of hope and joy within my once tender soul, my mind is simply not a reliable indicator of reality. I have gone insane. Have I? Asking myself this question convinces me that I am in fact not insane, since questioning my insanity is an oh so very sane thing to do. Snapping myself back to reality, in the midst of a bustling crowd of insanity, I start to gather my bearings.

Whether it was my fault or theirs I still don't know, and I don't care anymore, though I most certainly did in the moment I realized what had occurred. And so it goes that with NO means of communication - for boring and annoying technological reasons not worth going into here - I was, it seemed, lost and alone in New York City on a Christmas Eve that, from one moment to the next, transformed itself from a regular and planned experience to a unique, spontaneous, and potentially dangerous one, a void into which I was thrust into beyond my control. And this wasn't just any New York City. It was a New York City cold and snowy, busier and more bustling than usual - which is saying something, of course.

I searched for the missing company for about an hour, wading like a fool, albeit a dedicated fool, through more crowds than I can count (though I was never very good at math). Here would be a good place to note that I had consumed the most powerful marijuana cookies imaginable right before the movie. Bare in mind that throughout this whole chaos I am stoned off my @$$. I probably should have informed you of this toward the beginning. But for now let me cut to the chase:

One eternity later, after some interesting conversations with random passerby and a decent amount of fun observing all the people going about their merry holiday business (skating, shopping, walking, talking, kissing, laughing - but above all, belonging, the one thing that I at this moment so nakedly lacked), I stumbled my way back to Port Authority, the bus terminal which was to be my way home, in spite of my legendarily shitty sense of direction and being high as fvck. How did I make it? I don't know. It took me hours to find it is the truth. I thought for sure I'd be stuck in the city for the night - possibly forever. I thought my parents would kill me. But when I saw Port Authority, a feeling arose within my chest like no other I had ever felt. It was like living through the climax of the Shawshank Redemption. A feeling of having a sense of belonging, some place to go that will save me from the cold and the snow and the crowds - from the life of a vagabond - where previously for what felt like my entire life I had indeed been such a vagabond, just searching for this God given place, a place I can call shelter. All my life was leading up to this redemption. I walked in and the honest truth of it is that the next thing I know I was on a bus home to New Jersey, where I live. I do not remember at all how I got on, how I knew which bus terminal to go to, how I purchased tickets, how I found absolutely anything within Port Authority. Maybe by the time I located the building I was so lifted by the sense of euphoria that I could accomplish whatever I had to accomplish - again, this despite unfamiliarity with the location, an awful sense of direction, the highest high I ever tripped on, and a raging case of the munchies. Maybe it was a holiday miracle from whichever deity finds himself in charge of giving directions nowadays. However I made it home, whoever may have assisted me in this process, it was, all in all, an insane Christmas Eve adventure of epic proportions. And I'm glad it happened. An Unexpected Journey indeed.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 1:23:31 PM
Whoa.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 1:36:01 PM
Aside from Penn Station, Port Authority is probably the busiest transportation hub out of Manhattan so almost any subway you take will stop there (for future reference). If you have a smart phone, download the HopStop app. It's a life saver for people not familiar with traveling around NYC.

That said, your experience is very interesting and definitely familiar. Those moments happen to me ALL the time. I've noticed that they particularly happen in NYC: the concrete jungle. I don't think people can truly understand how trippy NYC is unless they've been there/ live here. The energy is incredible from so many people and things cramped together in a bustling city with people from every walk of life. It is the most interesting place in the world, and I don't doubt for a second that it's challenged people's perspective on reality, society and the self as it does mine almost every day.

I smoke in Central Park pretty often, and I have this one spot that really trips me out. It's at the end of the park, so behind me you hear loud car horns honking profusely, sirens and other every day city sounds. In front of me is the most serene and peaceful backdrop, beautiful and quiet. Getting stoned on this hill and observing the two completely different atmospheres simultaneously really has a way of instigating some intriguing highdeas, let me tell you.

When you found your way home, I'd say that was one part of you just going through the motions-- something mandatory for survival. The "you" that was being introspective, philosophical and confused was a different part of your conscious experience that craved experience or exploration. I believe that we clearly don't know how to utilize our brains and consciousness to the highest extent, and sometimes we need to tap into certain areas (without fear... and safely lol if it involves an alteration of conscious via drugs) in order to expand our knowledge and what we think we know about ourselves and the universe.

Ps. You ate the cookies before the movie and were still that high 3+ hours later? Cray.
President of DDO
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 5:23:33 PM
At 12/26/2012 3:07:50 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Jat's Story + Danielle's Commentary = Awesome

+1

I got a bit lost yesterday in a car but nothing like your story.. I was driving to a family members house whom I hadn't seen in years (only about 20 minutes away), missed my turn, saw the Washington monument and thought, "yeeah..... that can't be right..." Maps are the best.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 11:35:25 PM
I got lost in Brooklyn as a little kid.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 10:21:34 AM
Reading this reminded me of "Hunger" for some reason...
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 10:36:14 AM
At 12/26/2012 5:23:33 PM, Oryus wrote:

+1

I got a bit lost yesterday in a car but nothing like your story.. I was driving to a family members house whom I hadn't seen in years (only about 20 minutes away), missed my turn, saw the Washington monument and thought, "yeeah..... that can't be right..." Maps are the best.

You're in D.C.? Yell at Obama for me.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 10:37:29 AM
"I searched for the missing company for about an hour, wading like a fool, albeit a dedicated fool, through more crowds than I can count (though I was never very good at math). Here would be a good place to note that I had consumed the most powerful marijuana cookies imaginable right before the movie. Bare in mind that throughout this whole chaos I am stoned off my @$$. I probably should have informed you of this toward the beginning. But for now let me cut to the chase:"

I was wondering if you were high...

So you got lost. That doesn't seem THAT crazy :P
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 11:09:25 AM
Ah, New York City... now, that place will really test your mettle.

I remember my days in New York City being so filled with activity, I could hardly distinguish a busy weekday from a week. There would literally be days when, at the end of it all, you look back and say, "wow, all that happend today?"

You see, I say that only because humans are very rhythmic; they're so habitual. In other states in the United States, humans are so, I don't know... they lack dimension, almost. Their lives aren't so filled with activity, that's for sure. In Oklahoma, humans live almost entirely within their homes. I mean, sure, they leave for their daily rituals, the school, the work, whatever...

In, say, California, on the other hand, people are busier, more productive, but it's all a means to an end, really. It's nothing like what you see in New York City -- people from all over this planet coalescing into a bustling, throbbing center of activity. California has it's own appeal, and it has nothing to do with that.

But, a New York morning... wake up, have a jog or whatever, go to a coffee shop and have a conversation, eat and drink something delicious and unique, tip, then go to job one.

Finish job one, take a break and express your vice (take a shot, blow a dube, do both if people have been rude), hit up a street vendor, catch a good performance from a decent ensemble on the train, then catch up with some cats at the park for some sport, conversation, or freestyle poetry.

Make your way to job two, grind it out, you make it after an energy drink and three coffees, and now you're free. Have dinner at a place up the street and get invited to a party "later." Go to job number three. Take a lot of breaks, half of which you're sneaking a smoke; taking a swig. Blow a line if you're feeling frisky. You're immaculate. This frequent breaks keep you in the mirror, so you look the best you've been all day, despite the darkness creeping. And now finally, you're off work.

It's dark now, but it's early -- 10, 11 pm? Everything's just starting. Grab a drink at the local and shoot a couple of rounds of pool. Remember the party. Get lost along the way. Stumble into a bar in lower Manhattan with a basement. Go downstairs out of curiosity to see tiles on the walls. Follow the musky smell of primal misbehavior and see genitals and drugs. Don't forget the party! Here, try this molly. The band starts, and there's a saxaphone? A tambourine? It's decent.

Then, they get off the stage and the energy dies down and I immediately leave, somehow feeling fresh and light on my feet, bright eyed, and quite bushy-tailed.

The party has a smoke room and I'm delighted and there are more naked people and I think about it (joining? Oh, I've done worse) as I walk among the sea of flesh into the smoke room.

I'm Everything is colorful, and it shouldn't be, so it's black and white, and it shouldn't be that either, but it just stays black and white. But, with a rather high contrast, and everyone looks like a cartoon. But, well... through a photoshop filter. And, I can feel my heart in my throat and I wonder when I'm going to smoke when I realize one of the cartoons is passing it to me.

And it was lovely, fragrant, it was delicious -- my god, it was incredible...

And, I was melting into the floor, and when she walked up and she was in her underwear, whoever she was, I could smell her assh*le as she put her a*s in my face, for whatever reason. But, it was alright, the way I felt, let me tell you.

I somehow maintained consciousness throughout the whole thing and made it home at 5:30. When I lay down to sleep, I realized that I couldn't, so I popped three tylenol pms and passed out in ten minutes.

Wake up, repeat.

Ah, New York. That's why I keep going back. I mean... it was even great in the 20's.

It was a little scary in the 70's, though.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 7:28:58 PM
Damn, and you had me thinking you met Santa and, through a ridiculous series of events, ended up saving Christmas.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 2:22:10 PM
At 12/28/2012 10:36:14 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 12/26/2012 5:23:33 PM, Oryus wrote:

+1

You're in D.C.? Yell at Obama for me.

I'm sure he will listen.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 11:39:57 PM
At 12/26/2012 1:19:13 PM, jat93 wrote:
my mind is simply not a reliable indicator of reality.

I thought you was atheist. (As opposed to agnostic).
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...