Addiction

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:36:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Are you addicted to anything?
Have you ever been addicted to something? What?
If you haven't been "addicted" to something, what have you been obsessed about or extremely involved in?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:39:29 PM
I'd say music probs.

Can't think of anything else.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 11:47:28 PM
I am addicted to the internet.

Hence my presence here.

I've gotten better...... but I feel like it will be with me for life. I think I will always be a recovering internet addict... never quite over it. Now I'm just better able to stop at a few drinks instead of getting completely black-out wasted.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 12:13:50 AM
At 12/26/2012 9:36:05 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
If you haven't been "addicted" to something, what have you been obsessed about or extremely involved in?

I used to be addicted to shopping. It literally had all the signs---I would feel depressed, buy something and have that "high" feeling, then feel like sh!t after. I bought so many things in that period that I didn't need or want, or that I couldn't remember having bought. I'd come across a shirt or a pair of shoes a year later with the tags still on them and be like "oh yeah, I forgot about this".

It sounds stupid but I was extremely depressed at that time...
yang.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 12:26:52 AM
I'm definitely addicted to weed and I'm pretty upset about it. Right now my gf is looking for a new job, and because a lot of places drug test, she's trying to quit for a little while and has been pretty miserable. I also promised I would cut back significantly, but I just found a new connect and the bud is SO GOOD that I've completely failed in that endeavor.

While weed does not make you physically dependent, I definitely have some sort of mental dependency that physically affects me. I'm convinced that a lot of it has to do with ritual. For instance, every weekend the first thing I do when I wake up is smoke a bowl and have a cup of coffee. I find it very relaxing. It's gotten to the point where I usually don't even want coffee unless I have a breakfast bowl to go with it or I won't enjoy it.

When I'm at work, I usually smoke on my lunch break in Central Park. One time I had a craving and actually snuck out of work for a half hour to smoke (that was pretty ridiculous). I cut back after that and haven't smoked at work since... but that's probably because it's gotten too cold.

If I'm home throughout the day, I usually smoke to accompany just about anything that I'm doing. Do you really think I could sit online on DDO and not be stoned? Lol, no. I don't have the patience. I always smoke before coming here, just as I always smoke before watching TV and playing games.

Now that I've found this good strain, I appreciate that it's one of those crazy good kinds where I find everything completely hilarious when I'm high. But even when I'm just buzzed, I enjoy the feeling. I qualify my cravings as addiction because I get VERY moody and agitated when I don't have access to bud. I go through excessive measures to make sure I don't run out, because the feeling of not having it when I want it can be pretty mentally excruciating. I mostly just obsess over not having it and the fact that it's so prevalent in my mind indicates I have some sort of dependency, unfortunately. Being a habitual pot smoker is a pretty bad, expensive habit. But I love it. I'll address it when it becomes more of a problem, but given how much I spent on Christmas I think the time might be now -_-
President of DDO
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 12:33:22 AM
@Danielle---Oh man. If you or your girlfriend figure out how to stop, let me know. (I don't smoke but I know someone who does)
yang.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 12:40:38 AM
At 12/27/2012 12:33:22 AM, tulle wrote:
@Danielle---Oh man. If you or your girlfriend figure out how to stop, let me know. (I don't smoke but I know someone who does)

Meth :/
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 4:02:53 AM
At 12/27/2012 1:02:39 AM, darkkermit wrote:
I'm way too cheap to have an addiction that costs money the more you use it :p. So internet for me.

Dat fixed cost
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 4:10:32 AM
At 12/27/2012 12:26:52 AM, Danielle wrote:
I'm definitely addicted to weed and I'm pretty upset about it. Right now my gf is looking for a new job, and because a lot of places drug test, she's trying to quit for a little while and has been pretty miserable. I also promised I would cut back significantly, but I just found a new connect and the bud is SO GOOD that I've completely failed in that endeavor.

While weed does not make you physically dependent, I definitely have some sort of mental dependency that physically affects me. I'm convinced that a lot of it has to do with ritual. For instance, every weekend the first thing I do when I wake up is smoke a bowl and have a cup of coffee. I find it very relaxing. It's gotten to the point where I usually don't even want coffee unless I have a breakfast bowl to go with it or I won't enjoy it.

When I'm at work, I usually smoke on my lunch break in Central Park. One time I had a craving and actually snuck out of work for a half hour to smoke (that was pretty ridiculous). I cut back after that and haven't smoked at work since... but that's probably because it's gotten too cold.

If I'm home throughout the day, I usually smoke to accompany just about anything that I'm doing. Do you really think I could sit online on DDO and not be stoned? Lol, no. I don't have the patience. I always smoke before coming here, just as I always smoke before watching TV and playing games.

Now that I've found this good strain, I appreciate that it's one of those crazy good kinds where I find everything completely hilarious when I'm high. But even when I'm just buzzed, I enjoy the feeling. I qualify my cravings as addiction because I get VERY moody and agitated when I don't have access to bud. I go through excessive measures to make sure I don't run out, because the feeling of not having it when I want it can be pretty mentally excruciating. I mostly just obsess over not having it and the fact that it's so prevalent in my mind indicates I have some sort of dependency, unfortunately. Being a habitual pot smoker is a pretty bad, expensive habit. But I love it. I'll address it when it becomes more of a problem, but given how much I spent on Christmas I think the time might be now -_-

You can quit anything given the right mindset, support network, rules, and planning. Maybe you and your girlfriend could devise a plan by New Year's Day and make quitting pot your New Year's resolutions! I like George Carlin's marijuana philosophy. Go to 4:15.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 4:17:10 AM
At 12/27/2012 1:02:39 AM, darkkermit wrote:
I'm way too cheap to have an addiction that costs money the more you use it :p. So internet for me.

Same. I've never paid for drugs in my life. Sure, that means much less drugs, but then again that's not exactly a bad thing.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 4:18:57 AM
At 12/27/2012 12:26:52 AM, Danielle wrote:

Have you tried surrendering to a higher power?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 6:34:42 AM
After my wife died I gave alcoholism a try as a form of self medicated grief counseling, but after a couple years it just wasn't really working out for me, I didn't see much future in it so I gave it up.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 8:34:59 AM
Yes. A sleep aid, that's probably the least damaging and least physically addictive, but I am unable to sleep without it.

Yes, I have had a long history of very destructive addiction, and have found a way out. It isn't important what my drug of choice was, but it almost killed me and destroyed much of my life. I haven't been an active addict (except for the sleep aid, which is nothing like my past addictions) for a long long time, but have to work daily at staying sober and happy. My personal road in this area is probably the most important thing that has shaped me as a person mentally and spiritually. I have spent many years working with other people who suffer from addiction, and have worked directly with gay people who struggle with addiction. Addiction to drugs and alcohol seem to impact gays and lesbians to a far greater degree than straight people, although addiction knows no prejudice. If anyone here ever wants to talk to me about being in a bad place with addiction, I'd be happy to talk about it, and they can send me a PM.

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 11:02:03 AM
Used to be addicted to anime. I spent an entire summer holiday (6 weeks) watching about 800 episodes of various series non-stop. I wonder now what I could've done to improve my life in some way instead of doing that, but sunken cost fallacy I guess.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 11:04:24 AM
At 12/27/2012 10:45:40 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
I know most people will think I'm just being facetious but quite probably alcohol.

I went out drinking last night. One of my friends demonstrated his ability to quickly down 5 zambuka shots in a row, barely flinching at the end. I was impressed, but not envious.
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 12:33:03 PM
I'm addicted to being addicted to an addiction for conforming to addict communities.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 2:16:00 PM

I have a very addictive personality I think.

I quit smoking for the second time back in may... now I have gained 20 lb since then. I guess I'm addicted to food now. GRRRRRRR....
Me
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 2:57:22 PM
At 12/27/2012 1:33:35 PM, Koopin wrote:
Water.

Kfc.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 3:04:17 PM
Internet... Probably. I so much want to get an actual social life but I feel like I'll never get down to doing it.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 10:51:48 PM
At 12/26/2012 9:37:26 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
I think I'm addicted to DDO.

Yeah, though addicted is stretching it for me.

I was once addicted to this PC game when I was in 4th grade, and I was pretty addicted to it until I went camping for a week so my addiction was broke.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 11:54:09 AM
At 12/27/2012 10:51:48 PM, Contra wrote:

to this PC game when I was in 4th grade, and I was pretty addicted to it until I went camping for a week so my addiction was broke.

I was addicted to skyrim, not like a crazy person or anything, but I'd play for like three hours a day for three weeks. Then I said "What is this, I don't even" and stopped. I still play it, just not as much.

By George, I'm gonna go play now.
kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 3:25:05 PM
At 12/28/2012 11:54:09 AM, Koopin wrote:

to this PC game when I was in 4th grade, and I was pretty addicted to it until I went camping for a week so my addiction was broke.

I was addicted to skyrim, not like a crazy person or anything, but I'd play for like three hours a day for three weeks. Then I said "What is this, I don't even" and stopped. I still play it, just not as much.

I was addicted to MW3 and Skyrim for a few months. Then I moved to League of Legends.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 5:51:15 PM
At 12/28/2012 3:25:05 PM, Chicken wrote:
At 12/28/2012 11:54:09 AM, Koopin wrote:

I was addicted to MW3 and Skyrim for a few months. Then I moved to League of Legends.

Same. Skyrim was my drug for quite some time. LoL is now, but I'm not addicted to it. I can play 2 games and then I'm "Eh, meh, why'd I waste another 45 minutes on this game?". And I stop.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 9:35:48 PM

KFC :)
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...