Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

College Applications And Anxiety

SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 9:00:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Currently I am reviewing my applications for the last time and am incurring massive amounts of anxiety do to this. I have a fairly long list but I am not certain as to whether or not I shall get into any of them. I have nothing outstanding to post and my SAT was a mere 1790 which isn't impressive at all [and this is only by me super-scoring] and my math score is merely a 520 [it remained the same in both attempts] and I'm trying to major in mechanical engineering, I'm not bad at the math but I require more time to do my math because I actually solve out the problems. Right now I just don't know what's going to happen. How did you all cope with these troubling times?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 9:02:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
1790 isn't great but its still pretty good score and can get you into a decent college, and definitely a college w/ engineering.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 9:10:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/28/2012 9:02:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
1790 isn't great but its still pretty good score and can get you into a decent college, and definitely a college w/ engineering.

However a mere 520 on the math section isn't helping my case. I'm broke and need scholarships so I'm taking the SAT's again after meeting with a tutor for a week and then the ACT's in April.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 9:36:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
*sigh* Applying for jobs are easier than this *sigh/mope*
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
YYW
Posts: 36,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 9:52:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/28/2012 9:00:37 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Currently I am reviewing my applications for the last time and am incurring massive amounts of anxiety do to this. I have a fairly long list but I am not certain as to whether or not I shall get into any of them. I have nothing outstanding to post and my SAT was a mere 1790 which isn't impressive at all [and this is only by me super-scoring] and my math score is merely a 520 [it remained the same in both attempts] and I'm trying to major in mechanical engineering, I'm not bad at the math but I require more time to do my math because I actually solve out the problems. Right now I just don't know what's going to happen. How did you all cope with these troubling times?

Worst case scenario you go to community college for two years before transferring to a state school. And guess what? That's not so bad after all! Why? Community college is many thousands of dollars less expensive then are state universities. Your degree will be the same. Realize that at this point its out of your control and there is nothing more you can do. What comes next, comes next. Whatever hand you are dealt, make the best of it.
Tsar of DDO
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 9:55:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/28/2012 9:52:57 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/28/2012 9:00:37 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Currently I am reviewing my applications for the last time and am incurring massive amounts of anxiety do to this. I have a fairly long list but I am not certain as to whether or not I shall get into any of them. I have nothing outstanding to post and my SAT was a mere 1790 which isn't impressive at all [and this is only by me super-scoring] and my math score is merely a 520 [it remained the same in both attempts] and I'm trying to major in mechanical engineering, I'm not bad at the math but I require more time to do my math because I actually solve out the problems. Right now I just don't know what's going to happen. How did you all cope with these troubling times?

Worst case scenario you go to community college for two years before transferring to a state school. And guess what? That's not so bad after all! Why? Community college is many thousands of dollars less expensive then are state universities. Your degree will be the same. Realize that at this point its out of your control and there is nothing more you can do. What comes next, comes next. Whatever hand you are dealt, make the best of it.

^good advice. Although with an engineering degree it might take you an extra year to graduate if you go to a community college your first 2 years.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 10:52:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I wonder if the FFL is still accepting applications . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 10:53:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/28/2012 9:55:13 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/28/2012 9:52:57 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/28/2012 9:00:37 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Currently I am reviewing my applications for the last time and am incurring massive amounts of anxiety do to this. I have a fairly long list but I am not certain as to whether or not I shall get into any of them. I have nothing outstanding to post and my SAT was a mere 1790 which isn't impressive at all [and this is only by me super-scoring] and my math score is merely a 520 [it remained the same in both attempts] and I'm trying to major in mechanical engineering, I'm not bad at the math but I require more time to do my math because I actually solve out the problems. Right now I just don't know what's going to happen. How did you all cope with these troubling times?

Worst case scenario you go to community college for two years before transferring to a state school. And guess what? That's not so bad after all! Why? Community college is many thousands of dollars less expensive then are state universities. Your degree will be the same. Realize that at this point its out of your control and there is nothing more you can do. What comes next, comes next. Whatever hand you are dealt, make the best of it.

^good advice. Although with an engineering degree it might take you an extra year to graduate if you go to a community college your first 2 years.

It's still depressing.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
YYW
Posts: 36,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 11:28:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/28/2012 10:53:50 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 12/28/2012 9:55:13 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/28/2012 9:52:57 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/28/2012 9:00:37 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Currently I am reviewing my applications for the last time and am incurring massive amounts of anxiety do to this. I have a fairly long list but I am not certain as to whether or not I shall get into any of them. I have nothing outstanding to post and my SAT was a mere 1790 which isn't impressive at all [and this is only by me super-scoring] and my math score is merely a 520 [it remained the same in both attempts] and I'm trying to major in mechanical engineering, I'm not bad at the math but I require more time to do my math because I actually solve out the problems. Right now I just don't know what's going to happen. How did you all cope with these troubling times?

Worst case scenario you go to community college for two years before transferring to a state school. And guess what? That's not so bad after all! Why? Community college is many thousands of dollars less expensive then are state universities. Your degree will be the same. Realize that at this point its out of your control and there is nothing more you can do. What comes next, comes next. Whatever hand you are dealt, make the best of it.

^good advice. Although with an engineering degree it might take you an extra year to graduate if you go to a community college your first 2 years.

It's still depressing.

This is the first of the two major turning points of adolescence. The second is graduating from college. I know that right now there isn't much to say that will make you feel better, but I can say that it will work out if you play your cards right. College admissions councils do take into account SAT scores, but they take other things into account too. Letters of recommendation, your GPA and the actual answers on your application as well as extra curricular involvement and work experience. The point is that your SAT scores aren't an admission's death sentence.

It will be ok.
Tsar of DDO
RationalMadman
Posts: 354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 11:43:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Listen to some reggae man... chills the stressed souls out breddah...
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
RationalMadman
Posts: 354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 11:44:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 4:10:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It doesn't matter. Pick a school and do well. Join some clubs related to the field you want to go into. Your college advisers will help find you a job and/or point you in the right direction. You'll network and you'll see that you're worrying for no reason. The most important thing to remember is to get an internship - I'd say at least 2 while you're in college. Also, have fun.

/stress over
President of DDO
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 4:47:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/29/2012 3:50:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
Community college and then transfer FTW!

And it's super cheap.

Exactly. Worst case scenario, you have to go to community college for a while and save a ton of money on your general ed. classes. Then they don't even look at your SAT scores. Just do really well in community college (EASY) and then transfer after you get the right amount of credits in your area (talk to a CC advisor).

Honestly, I think this is the better route anyway. Gen. Ed. classes at a university are extremely crowded and boring and expensive. Gen Ed classes at a community college are more personal and, should you need help or should you need to ask a question in class, you can do so easily. Also, depending on the college, you are probably getting a REAL professor at a C.C. who is an expert in the subject and not just a grad student who is doing it to save money on their tuition or get brownie points with a professor- and who may not even want to teach the class at all anyway.

All in all, I'd say your worst case scenario is pretty damn good (it was my first choice). No need to stress. ;)
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 4:48:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/28/2012 9:52:57 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/28/2012 9:00:37 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Currently I am reviewing my applications for the last time and am incurring massive amounts of anxiety do to this. I have a fairly long list but I am not certain as to whether or not I shall get into any of them. I have nothing outstanding to post and my SAT was a mere 1790 which isn't impressive at all [and this is only by me super-scoring] and my math score is merely a 520 [it remained the same in both attempts] and I'm trying to major in mechanical engineering, I'm not bad at the math but I require more time to do my math because I actually solve out the problems. Right now I just don't know what's going to happen. How did you all cope with these troubling times?

Worst case scenario you go to community college for two years before transferring to a state school. And guess what? That's not so bad after all! Why? Community college is many thousands of dollars less expensive then are state universities. Your degree will be the same. Realize that at this point its out of your control and there is nothing more you can do. What comes next, comes next. Whatever hand you are dealt, make the best of it.

haha Didn't even see this comment. YYW knows whats up.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
YYW
Posts: 36,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 4:56:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/29/2012 4:47:35 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/29/2012 3:50:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
Community college and then transfer FTW!

And it's super cheap.

Exactly. Worst case scenario, you have to go to community college for a while and save a ton of money on your general ed. classes. Then they don't even look at your SAT scores. Just do really well in community college (EASY) and then transfer after you get the right amount of credits in your area (talk to a CC advisor).

Honestly, I think this is the better route anyway. Gen. Ed. classes at a university are extremely crowded and boring and expensive.

And unfortunately often taught by grad students who are... how do I put this nicely... not nearly as awesome as they think they are.

Gen Ed classes at a community college are more personal and, should you need help or should you need to ask a question in class, you can do so easily. Also, depending on the college, you are probably getting a REAL professor at a C.C. who is an expert in the subject and not just a grad student who is doing it to save money on their tuition or get brownie points with a professor- and who may not even want to teach the class at all anyway.

Omg, Oryus READ MY MIND.

All in all, I'd say your worst case scenario is pretty damn good (it was my first choice). No need to stress. ;)

Truth.

Damn good advice in all of these posts, RobotWars. No need to worry! If you have any more questions though, by all means make a thread. Many of us on here have been through this and we'll be happy to help. Moreover, if you've got a question, then someone else probably has the same one too!
Tsar of DDO
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 5:07:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/29/2012 4:56:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/29/2012 4:47:35 PM, Oryus wrote:
Honestly, I think this is the better route anyway. Gen. Ed. classes at a university are extremely crowded and boring and expensive.

And unfortunately often taught by grad students who are... how do I put this nicely... not nearly as awesome as they think they are.

I lol'd...

I'll be trying to keep this in mind to humble myself in later years....
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
YYW
Posts: 36,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 6:37:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/29/2012 5:07:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 12/29/2012 4:56:23 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/29/2012 4:47:35 PM, Oryus wrote:
Honestly, I think this is the better route anyway. Gen. Ed. classes at a university are extremely crowded and boring and expensive.

And unfortunately often taught by grad students who are... how do I put this nicely... not nearly as awesome as they think they are.

I lol'd...

I'll be trying to keep this in mind to humble myself in later years....

I think you'll be ok, Oryus.
Tsar of DDO
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 7:36:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/29/2012 3:50:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
Community college and then transfer FTW!

And it's super cheap.

That rite hurr.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 9:57:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/28/2012 9:00:37 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Currently I am reviewing my applications for the last time and am incurring massive amounts of anxiety do to this. I have a fairly long list but I am not certain as to whether or not I shall get into any of them. I have nothing outstanding to post and my SAT was a mere 1790 which isn't impressive at all [and this is only by me super-scoring] and my math score is merely a 520 [it remained the same in both attempts] and I'm trying to major in mechanical engineering, I'm not bad at the math but I require more time to do my math because I actually solve out the problems. Right now I just don't know what's going to happen. How did you all cope with these troubling times?

I don't know what a 520 correlates to prior scores, but when the SAT was out of 1600, a 520 was low, at least for engineering.

I'd recommend 2 years at a junior college, take a sh!tload of math, get faster at it, and then transfer to the best public university you can gain entrance to. If you're doing engineering of any type, you MUST be proficient at math.

If you're in a state with a good public university system, like California, Virginia, or Texas, this is a great route. You said you're broke, so a junior college is great for you, and if you ace the courses there, you'd be a shoe-in for a transfer. I've met a lot of people who went this route, it's indistinguishable from entering into the college of your choice as a freshman.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 9:57:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/30/2012 7:36:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 12/29/2012 3:50:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
Community college and then transfer FTW!

And it's super cheap.

That rite hurr.

^
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 2:38:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I thank you all for your advice.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 2:40:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 12:25:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I got a 1570 (out of 1600) and I was still really anxious sending in applications. Just try to calm down and take it as it happens because the worrying will not get you anywhere. Some will reject you and some will accept you, its part of life, and its going to happen so send in the applications and keep your grades up in case the colleges check up on you (which they do).
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 3:30:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Long time no see and yes I am resurrecting this thread with no guilt! I know its kind of late but I shall post this follow up anyway. I shall be attending Morehouse for three years on a full ride scholarship [however I plan on fulfilling most of my credits in two] and then transfer to Georgia Tech in which I shall stay for two [though I shall try and push for three] years. I was also accepted into about ten or twelve other colleges such as Florida Institute of Technology, University of Connecticut, Rensselaer Polytechnic, Rochester Institute of Technology, Manhattan College, and Alfred University. I just wanted to say thanks for all of the support!
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.