Total Posts:58|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Tips for Being Vegetarian?

royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 9:42:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am pretty upset about how animals are treated in factory farms, so I have been making an effort to be vegetarian since October. It's kind of difficult though. I haven't eaten meat since the end of November, but I'm starting to crave it again. Are there any vegetarians on the site? What tips do you have for remaining meat free?
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:00:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So you're vegetarian not because you think they have the right to life but because of how they're treated in factory farms? In that case, why not still eat meat but only buy from smaller more ethical farms that actually care about animals?

I'm just wandering. Personally, I think I'll become at least a partial vegetarian once I move out but not necessarily just because of how animals are treated. I just think they have rights. Most of them at least.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:16:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was a raw foodist, then a vegan, then a vegetarian, then a pescatarian, and now I eat everything and I make an effort to try all foods, but I try to eat healthy.

Basically, just get really into cooking vegetarian food. If you learn to prepare and cook lots of healthy, yummy vegetarian snacks, it will be much easier for you to stick with the diet. If you're craving meat, buy MorningStar Farms veggie meat. The Grillers Prime veggie burgers and chicken nuggets are the bomb. Amy's also has really great vegetarian food. There should be an entire frozen food section dedicated to vegetarian food. Learn to love fruits and vegetables if you want to keep your weight down; vegetarians have a tendency to overeat grains and dairy. The first part of phantom's post came to mind as well.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:19:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I struggle with this too :/. My goal is to be fully vegetarian by the time I move out, but I'm constantly having chicken cravings so I will crack down and eat that. Right now it's also hard since I live with heavy meat eaters.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:23:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 10:00:07 PM, phantom wrote:
So you're vegetarian not because you think they have the right to life but because of how they're treated in factory farms? In that case, why not still eat meat but only buy from smaller more ethical farms that actually care about animals?

Ta da!! That's what I would do... if I cared enough about the taste of meat to pay the ridiculous costs of local farm meat. Ain't worth it.
I'm just wandering. Personally, I think I'll become at least a partial vegetarian once I move out but not necessarily just because of how animals are treated. I just think they have rights. Most of them at least.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:25:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 10:23:35 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:00:07 PM, phantom wrote:
So you're vegetarian not because you think they have the right to life but because of how they're treated in factory farms? In that case, why not still eat meat but only buy from smaller more ethical farms that actually care about animals?

Ta da!! That's what I would do... if I cared enough about the taste of meat to pay the ridiculous costs of local farm meat. Ain't worth it.

Watch the documentary, "Food". It might just change your mind.

I'm just wandering. Personally, I think I'll become at least a partial vegetarian once I move out but not necessarily just because of how animals are treated. I just think they have rights. Most of them at least.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:30:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 10:25:59 PM, phantom wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:23:35 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:00:07 PM, phantom wrote:
So you're vegetarian not because you think they have the right to life but because of how they're treated in factory farms? In that case, why not still eat meat but only buy from smaller more ethical farms that actually care about animals?

Ta da!! That's what I would do... if I cared enough about the taste of meat to pay the ridiculous costs of local farm meat. Ain't worth it.

Watch the documentary, "Food". It might just change your mind.

I'm just wandering. Personally, I think I'll become at least a partial vegetarian once I move out but not necessarily just because of how animals are treated. I just think they have rights. Most of them at least.

I mean "Food Inc.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:36:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 10:30:52 PM, phantom wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:25:59 PM, phantom wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:23:35 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:00:07 PM, phantom wrote:
So you're vegetarian not because you think they have the right to life but because of how they're treated in factory farms? In that case, why not still eat meat but only buy from smaller more ethical farms that actually care about animals?

Ta da!! That's what I would do... if I cared enough about the taste of meat to pay the ridiculous costs of local farm meat. Ain't worth it.

Watch the documentary, "Food". It might just change your mind.

I'm just wandering. Personally, I think I'll become at least a partial vegetarian once I move out but not necessarily just because of how animals are treated. I just think they have rights. Most of them at least.

I mean "Food Inc.

I think that she's a vegetarian...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:41:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 10:36:32 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:30:52 PM, phantom wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:25:59 PM, phantom wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:23:35 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:00:07 PM, phantom wrote:
So you're vegetarian not because you think they have the right to life but because of how they're treated in factory farms? In that case, why not still eat meat but only buy from smaller more ethical farms that actually care about animals?

Ta da!! That's what I would do... if I cared enough about the taste of meat to pay the ridiculous costs of local farm meat. Ain't worth it.

Watch the documentary, "Food". It might just change your mind.

I'm just wandering. Personally, I think I'll become at least a partial vegetarian once I move out but not necessarily just because of how animals are treated. I just think they have rights. Most of them at least.

I mean "Food Inc.

I think that she's a vegetarian...

Oh, I think I misinterpreted the meaning of her statement.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:52:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 10:41:04 PM, phantom wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:36:32 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:30:52 PM, phantom wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:25:59 PM, phantom wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:23:35 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/2/2013 10:00:07 PM, phantom wrote:
So you're vegetarian not because you think they have the right to life but because of how they're treated in factory farms? In that case, why not still eat meat but only buy from smaller more ethical farms that actually care about animals?

Ta da!! That's what I would do... if I cared enough about the taste of meat to pay the ridiculous costs of local farm meat. Ain't worth it.

Watch the documentary, "Food". It might just change your mind.

I'm just wandering. Personally, I think I'll become at least a partial vegetarian once I move out but not necessarily just because of how animals are treated. I just think they have rights. Most of them at least.

I mean "Food Inc.

I think that she's a vegetarian...

Oh, I think I misinterpreted the meaning of her statement.

haha yeah.. you did. I am technically pescatarian, not vegetarian, so I should get used to not calling myself vegetarian...AND I've seen Food Inc..... in theaters no less. bam.

But anyway, I actually ate turkey at thanksgiving because it was gotten from a farm which treats it's animals like.. you know.. animals (i.e. beings that can feel pain and are conscious) and not plants. But like I said, it's way too expensive and way not tasty enough for me to get it all the time. I'm over it. I'll take an eggplant sammie over a chicken sandwich any day.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 11:55:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 9:51:52 PM, Koopin wrote:
kfc

Apparently Some places like Burger king are moving to free range chickens and pigs. Also it's expected that a lot of fast food joints will follow suit

http://www.brandchannel.com...
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
YYW
Posts: 36,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 11:57:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 9:42:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am pretty upset about how animals are treated in factory farms, so I have been making an effort to be vegetarian since October. It's kind of difficult though. I haven't eaten meat since the end of November, but I'm starting to crave it again. Are there any vegetarians on the site? What tips do you have for remaining meat free?

It's actually considerably healthier, as well. I am not a vegetarian, but I hear properly cooked tofu is satisfying. Pasta also.
Tsar of DDO
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 12:02:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
If you're just upset about how animals are treated why don't you just buy free range products? Or better yet go out hunting and get yourself some fresh venison, Deer live a good life.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 2:18:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/3/2013 12:02:56 AM, lewis20 wrote:
If you're just upset about how animals are treated why don't you just buy free range products? Or better yet go out hunting and get yourself some fresh venison, Deer live a good life.

Most game meat isn't very good imo. At least not deer meat. Bison meat is good, however.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 4:11:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/3/2013 2:18:38 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/3/2013 12:02:56 AM, lewis20 wrote:
If you're just upset about how animals are treated why don't you just buy free range products? Or better yet go out hunting and get yourself some fresh venison, Deer live a good life.

Most game meat isn't very good imo. At least not deer meat. Bison meat is good, however.

Bison burgers are SOOO good if done correctly. Rather expensive though.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 4:56:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 9:42:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am pretty upset about how animals are treated in factory farms, so I have been making an effort to be vegetarian since October. It's kind of difficult though. I haven't eaten meat since the end of November, but I'm starting to crave it again. Are there any vegetarians on the site? What tips do you have for remaining meat free?

Kosher meat cannot be made from an animal that suffered, so try eating t- oh, wait, Jews. So go ahead and be a vegetarian.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 6:22:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 9:42:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am pretty upset about how animals are treated in factory farms, so I have been making an effort to be vegetarian since October. It's kind of difficult though. I haven't eaten meat since the end of November, but I'm starting to crave it again. Are there any vegetarians on the site? What tips do you have for remaining meat free?

I've never eaten meat, so I don't really have any advice. I suppose if you don't do it for long enough, meat may repulse you. Possibly. I'm not guaranteeing anything.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 8:37:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 10:16:04 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I was a raw foodist, then a vegan, then a vegetarian, then a pescatarian, and now I eat everything and I make an effort to try all foods, but I try to eat healthy.

Basically, just get really into cooking vegetarian food. If you learn to prepare and cook lots of healthy, yummy vegetarian snacks, it will be much easier for you to stick with the diet. If you're craving meat, buy MorningStar Farms veggie meat. The Grillers Prime veggie burgers and chicken nuggets are the bomb. Amy's also has really great vegetarian food. There should be an entire frozen food section dedicated to vegetarian food. Learn to love fruits and vegetables if you want to keep your weight down; vegetarians have a tendency to overeat grains and dairy. The first part of phantom's post came to mind as well.

This sounds like good advice. Thanks :)
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 8:44:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/3/2013 4:56:26 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 1/2/2013 9:42:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am pretty upset about how animals are treated in factory farms, so I have been making an effort to be vegetarian since October. It's kind of difficult though. I haven't eaten meat since the end of November, but I'm starting to crave it again. Are there any vegetarians on the site? What tips do you have for remaining meat free?

Kosher meat cannot be made from an animal that suffered, so try eating t- oh, wait, Jews. So go ahead and be a vegetarian.

I refuse to eat meat that was ritualistically killed; this includes halal and kosher.

In addition, you appear to be sadly mistaken about the origins of your kosher meat. PETA conducted an undercover operation and found documented video evidence of the fact that the animals sent to kosher factories were factory farmed and tortured. For example, the took a video that "documented fully conscious cattle having their tracheas and esophagi ripped from their throats, their sensitive faces shocked with electric prods, and languishing for up to three minutes after their throats had been slit."

You can read more about this in the following Jewish vegetarian blog: http://jewishveg.com...
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 9:41:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/3/2013 2:18:38 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/3/2013 12:02:56 AM, lewis20 wrote:
If you're just upset about how animals are treated why don't you just buy free range products? Or better yet go out hunting and get yourself some fresh venison, Deer live a good life.

Most game meat isn't very good imo. At least not deer meat. Bison meat is good, however.

WTF!

Deer is pretty good if you have someone who knows what they are doing.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 10:21:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Soy has now become your new best friend.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 11:48:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/3/2013 8:44:40 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/3/2013 4:56:26 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 1/2/2013 9:42:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am pretty upset about how animals are treated in factory farms, so I have been making an effort to be vegetarian since October. It's kind of difficult though. I haven't eaten meat since the end of November, but I'm starting to crave it again. Are there any vegetarians on the site? What tips do you have for remaining meat free?

Kosher meat cannot be made from an animal that suffered, so try eating t- oh, wait, Jews. So go ahead and be a vegetarian.

I refuse to eat meat that was ritualistically killed; this includes halal and kosher.

In addition, you appear to be sadly mistaken about the origins of your kosher meat. PETA conducted an undercover operation and found documented video evidence of the fact that the animals sent to kosher factories were factory farmed and tortured. For example, the took a video that "documented fully conscious cattle having their tracheas and esophagi ripped from their throats, their sensitive faces shocked with electric prods, and languishing for up to three minutes after their throats had been slit."

You can read more about this in the following Jewish vegetarian blog: http://jewishveg.com...

Never under any circumstances listen to a thing that PETA says! EVER! However all that I can say is good luck too you, I tried to go vegetarian a few times however it just caused me to get sick so I just eat meat and in all honestly most animals farmed are not poorly treated, the places that PETA and those other hippies film tend to just be slaughterhouses.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 11:49:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 9:42:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am pretty upset about how animals are treated in factory farms, so I have been making an effort to be vegetarian since October. It's kind of difficult though. I haven't eaten meat since the end of November, but I'm starting to crave it again. Are there any vegetarians on the site? What tips do you have for remaining meat free?

I understand your argument dear. But since the beginning of time, man has hunted animals in order to survive and feed their family. Now how can you legislate what animals should be killed and which ones should not when you yourself are
pro choice. It sounds a bit hypocritical to me, with much respect Royale..........
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 1:33:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/3/2013 9:41:14 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 1/3/2013 2:18:38 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/3/2013 12:02:56 AM, lewis20 wrote:
If you're just upset about how animals are treated why don't you just buy free range products? Or better yet go out hunting and get yourself some fresh venison, Deer live a good life.

Most game meat isn't very good imo. At least not deer meat. Bison meat is good, however.

WTF!

Deer is pretty good if you have someone who knows what they are doing.

Ya stuff is delicious.
It's like everything else, in general, an inverse relationship between the healthiness of the food and how good it tastes.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 4:42:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
You could stop being a righteous vegetarian and eat real food.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 4:58:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/2/2013 9:42:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am pretty upset about how animals are treated in factory farms, so I have been making an effort to be vegetarian since October. It's kind of difficult though. I haven't eaten meat since the end of November, but I'm starting to crave it again. Are there any vegetarians on the site? What tips do you have for remaining meat free?

I would find a health food store; they tend to have a good selections of faux meat products (like soy-based 'chicken' fingers and such) as well as other vegetarian/vegan fare. Also, if you like to cook, there are tons of veg*an books you can get a B&N - the Veganomicon seems to be one of the best, especialy if you are more interested in flavor than health.

I think the best way to stave off those cravings is just to continue educating yourself about animal agriculture. A while ago, when I was a (lacto-ovo) vegetarian, I would sometimes eat meat if it was right in front of me. Since then, I've read quite a bit about animal ag I can't imagine doing anything like that again. It would feel like eating dog meat or something - nauseating.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 6:41:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/3/2013 9:41:14 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 1/3/2013 2:18:38 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/3/2013 12:02:56 AM, lewis20 wrote:
If you're just upset about how animals are treated why don't you just buy free range products? Or better yet go out hunting and get yourself some fresh venison, Deer live a good life.

Most game meat isn't very good imo. At least not deer meat. Bison meat is good, however.

WTF!

Deer is pretty good if you have someone who knows what they are doing.

I have had it prepared by people who "know what they're doing". A large part of my childhood was spent eating deer meat in fact. I don't like it, never have.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 6:42:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/3/2013 11:48:18 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Never under any circumstances listen to a thing that PETA says! EVER! However all that I can say is good luck too you, I tried to go vegetarian a few times however it just caused me to get sick so I just eat meat and in all honestly most animals farmed are not poorly treated, the places that PETA and those other hippies film tend to just be slaughterhouses.

This.

Like any other radical organization they only report the facts that fit their agenda.