Jump to topic:

Fighting the power!

quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2013 12:03:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was at a NFL tournament this weekend and my Parli partner and I broke to double-octos.

We had the resolution "The Senate Should not appoint John Kerry as Secretary of State" and we were the affirmation.

We didn't know anything about John Kerry, his qualifications, or anyone else who might be better suited for the job. So we had to think of something else.

We went ahead and argued that since the Senate is an agent of the United States Federal Government, and since the United States Federal Government is illegitimate and has no right to exist, the Senate shouldn't appoint ANYONE as Secretary of State.

It was our last formal tournament that we planned to attend, and we went in knowing we were going to lose our last debate, so we went down with a bang, bringing up slews of Anarchist, Secessionist, and Libertarian arguments and points, effectively shocking the audience who were primarily residents of the very Liberal Bay Area of California

In the end, the only thing our opponents had on us was "topicality" and "abuse", so not surprisingly all the judges voted for our opponents, but it was the most fun and interesting debate I've ever had, and in the end, our arguments stood, so it was worth it.

Just thought I'd share.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Rice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2013 12:14:49 AM
That's awesome! A lot of the seniors on our debate team do something along those lines at their last tournament, though with much less mature arguments. For example the PF topic one team debated was Resolved: The costs of a college education outweigh the benefits, and their case was structured around the fact that women who go to college will breastfeed their kids more than women who do not go to college and that milk weighs more than formula milk, therefore going to college literally weighs more than not, or something along those lines. It was ridiculous, but so hilarious, and they were able to say it all with a straight face.

But anyway, your 'bang' was much more mature, and congrats on breaking! Really you shouldn't have been voted down on topicality in regard to government legitimacy, that's ridiculous as governmental legitimacy is an entirely valid argument.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2013 1:14:39 AM
At 1/21/2013 12:14:49 AM, Rice wrote:
That's awesome! A lot of the seniors on our debate team do something along those lines at their last tournament, though with much less mature arguments. For example the PF topic one team debated was Resolved: The costs of a college education outweigh the benefits, and their case was structured around the fact that women who go to college will breastfeed their kids more than women who do not go to college and that milk weighs more than formula milk, therefore going to college literally weighs more than not, or something along those lines. It was ridiculous, but so hilarious, and they were able to say it all with a straight face.

But anyway, your 'bang' was much more mature, and congrats on breaking! Really you shouldn't have been voted down on topicality in regard to government legitimacy, that's ridiculous as governmental legitimacy is an entirely valid argument.

Oh god. That's hilarious. I'm literally laughing as I'm typing this.

Thanks, it was a real blast, even if we didn't garner a single judge to vote for us. It felt like the ending of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, even if it was a lot less cool.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.