Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

My Time on DDO

RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 10:52:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, with my last debate finished and voted on (thanks to you, Maikuru), there's nothing left for me to do except make this thread. I'm leaving DDO. Why am I leaving? Well, that gets into why I'm here in the first place. I originally heard of DDO about half a year ago when a bunch of you guys raided CreateDebate. As some of you already know, I came here from CD. In fact I'm one of the oldest CD members (my CD account is over 1,700 days old. I'm pretty sure that makes me the second most veteran active member there).

Anyway, I wanted to see what all the hubbub was about, so I figured I'd make an account and do one debate on this site. That debate was supposed to be between me and 16kadams, since he was the one who originally challenged me. He was taking so long to get back to me (he never did get back to me), so I decided I'd just do some random debate. I was only planning on doing one debate here, but then I fell in love with this site.

I love the debating system DDO has and I love the community you guys have set up. So, I figured I'd stay until to got into the 99th percentile... which I did about 3 debates ago. The thing is, I've had 33 debates in the last 5 months, so I've basically been debating constantly since I joined. Add in time in the forums, voting, and lurking and I've sunk in more hours into DDO than any other activity these last 5 months -- and it's really begun to cut in to time I need to be spending on other things. I barely study anymore and I haven't competed in a powerlifting competition since I joined. I've put it off for long enough. It's time I close my account and leave DDO.

A few of you have already PM'd me saying I should just come on less often. The thing is, that's just not going to work. I can't half-do DDO. Even if I only do debates, I'll spend hours and hours writing out a round (I always write my rounds in one sitting) and there have been a few times where I would stay up so late writing my rounds that I'll have to miss class the next day so I can sleep. What can I say? I'm just a "all out" kind of guy =p. As much as I love DDO, it's become a source of undo stress for me, so I think it's best if I cut it out of my life entirely.

I've already been on this site waaaaay longer than I was planning on being on it, so I don't have anyone to blame but myself for letting DDO get in the way of all the other things I do (heck, I haven't even performed in a dance show since joining =/). I don't want this to be a permanent thing. I would like to come back, because there are still so many topics I want to debate, and so many people I owe debates to right now =p, but I'm going to be gone for at least the next several months, and even if I take up online debating again it'll probably be on CD since there's less of a commitment needed to debate there. I guess I'll just have to see where I am a few months down the road.

I plan on sending personalized PM's to everyone who's had an impact on me during my time here. If you don't get one, you should probably re-evaluate your life (nah jk =p). Also, anyone who wants my facebook, just PM me.

Well, that's pretty much it. Bye!
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 10:58:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Noooooo

You'll come back. They always come back.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 11:05:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/24/2013 10:58:34 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Noooooo

You'll come back. They always come back.

Well, I hope so. =/
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2013 11:41:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Wow this is taking longer than I thought! I'll send the rest of the PM's tomorrow =p
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 12:11:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
"One does not simple leave DDO."
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,449
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 1:42:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:40:56 AM, Mirza wrote:
What's the difference between DDO and North Korea?

You can leave North Korea.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 1:46:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:40:56 AM, Mirza wrote:
What's the difference between DDO and North Korea?

North Korea won't ban you.

Viva Catknox.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 2:25:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:46:49 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:40:56 AM, Mirza wrote:
What's the difference between DDO and North Korea?

North Korea won't ban you.

Viva Catknox.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 2:45:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is for the best, considering I was planning on getting you banned soon because you keep winning.

Seriously, though, who the hell do you think you are? You get back here and you debate and contribute to the quality of this website, dammit.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 2:46:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Lol I don't know guys. I'm the kind of guy who finds it easier to stay away from something the longer I stay away from it. I mean, I didn't log on to CD for months after joining this site after all...
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 2:49:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 2:45:36 PM, Maikuru wrote:
This is for the best, considering I was planning on getting you banned soon because you keep winning.

Seriously, though, who the hell do you think you are? You get back here and you debate and contribute to the quality of this website, dammit.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net...

As great as that sounds, I still gotta go. If I keep spending time on DDO instead of studying, I will crash and buuuuuurn come finals.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 2:51:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Oh, I almost forgot to say this. One things that has really surprised me on DDO is that not one of you ever asked me what's up with my signature [I Shiggy Diggy @"... @_"... @" ... @_"]. I guess everyone must already know what it is =p
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 3:23:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/24/2013 10:52:51 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
The thing is, I've had 33 debates in the last 5 months, so I've basically been debating constantly since I joined.

Puuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssy. The first month I joined I did upwards of 30 or 40. They were incredibly low quality but still.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 3:53:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 3:23:41 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 1/24/2013 10:52:51 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
The thing is, I've had 33 debates in the last 5 months, so I've basically been debating constantly since I joined.

Puuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssy. The first month I joined I did upwards of 30 or 40. They were incredibly low quality but still.

well if you combined all ur accounts, you've probably done the most debates on DDO. Could have been #1 in terms of pure wins.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 4:09:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 3:53:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/25/2013 3:23:41 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 1/24/2013 10:52:51 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
The thing is, I've had 33 debates in the last 5 months, so I've basically been debating constantly since I joined.

Puuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssy. The first month I joined I did upwards of 30 or 40. They were incredibly low quality but still.

well if you combined all ur accounts, you've probably done the most debates on DDO. Could have been #1 in terms of pure wins.

Would have been 299 *debates* in all. Danielle has more wins than even that.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 5:14:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I can't blame you. I tend to get addicted to things like this, too, and the only thing you can do to get your life back is to quit cold turkey. I've thought about quitting facebook many times for the same reason. I waste too much time on it.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Nidhogg
Posts: 503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 9:51:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
*salutes
You leave with honour my friend, safe travels into the horizon.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
Nidhogg
Posts: 503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 9:52:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 2:25:57 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:46:49 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:40:56 AM, Mirza wrote:
What's the difference between DDO and North Korea?

North Korea won't ban you.

Viva Catknox.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 10:08:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've dealt with this problem by simply attending the forums instead of debating. No commitment, no problem.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 10:11:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 10:08:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I've dealt with this problem by simply attending the forums instead of debating. No commitment, no problem.

I love truth. It makes me feel more valid.

Anyway, agreed.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 10:27:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Oh, sorry about the CD thing :P
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 10:32:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 10:08:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I've dealt with this problem by simply attending the forums instead of debating. No commitment, no problem.

Yeah, but I have nasty habit of challenging everyone who disagrees with me to a debate.

I don't like eating ice-cream cones without the ice-cream. =p
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 10:34:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 10:27:22 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Oh, sorry about the CD thing :P

Nothing to be sorry about. If you guys hadn't come, I'd of never heard of DDO and therefore never would of had the chance to show you guys that us backwoods CD hicks can hold our own in a debate too =p
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 12:26:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 10:32:13 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 1/25/2013 10:08:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I've dealt with this problem by simply attending the forums instead of debating. No commitment, no problem.

Yeah, but I have nasty habit of challenging everyone who disagrees with me to a debate.

I don't like eating ice-cream cones without the ice-cream. =p

I understand, but as you are learning the hard way, it is time-prohibitive. As many others before you have done, you are burning out.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
lannan13
Posts: 23,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 5:32:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 9:51:52 PM, Nidhogg wrote:
*salutes
You leave with honour my friend, safe travels into the horizon.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 5:33:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 10:34:20 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 1/25/2013 10:27:22 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Oh, sorry about the CD thing :P

Nothing to be sorry about. If you guys hadn't come, I'd of never heard of DDO and therefore never would of had the chance to show you guys that us backwoods CD hicks can hold our own in a debate too =p

That debate I started over there certainly didn't help.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 6:52:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Rofl....this wouldn't have anything to do with your 1st loss to tulle over a toilet-seat debate, would it?

I mean...I know it's hard when that "undefeated" cherry gets popped (because it happened to me on my old account after 22 debates)....but you move on.....

Just spend a few hours staring intensely into the bathroom mirror. You'll find yourself....yooooouuu'll find yourself.

That reminds me...off topic....but...whatever.

So, my buddys and I are tripping f*cking balls on 4 hits of gel tabs...running through the woods like hooligans.
All of a sudden...like 10 miles into the woods (far away from a trail)...we stumble upon a shoe-string tied to an ash tree.
If you've ever tripped on acid, you know why this is immensely significant. Minor coincidences tend to become epic omen of good fortune....or they can ruin a trip, but that's a different story.

Anyways, we all stare at this string wondering hown it got there. After about fourty failed ideas, including one about a deer who's pissed that he can't tie his new cross-trainers, we decide to leave the string in case another wandering soul needs encouragement and good fortune.

That's when my buddy reaches out and snatches the string. He ties it to his belt loop and begins to smile with such satisfaction.

"Why did you do that?" I asked.
"If I get lost", he said," I can follow the string back to myself."

Awestruck at his wisdom, we all begged him for the string.

he curled his eyebrows and pointed sternly at us.
"That was your downfall......when the string became mine".

Anyways.....the whole bathroom mirror thing about "finding yourself" made me want to tell this story.

Have a wonderful "trip" Ryuu....don't forget to blink. If you stare at yourself in the mirror without blinking, "they" will come for you.

My coffee tastes weird today.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 11:39:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 6:52:47 AM, Heineken wrote:
Rofl....this wouldn't have anything to do with your 1st loss to tulle over a toilet-seat debate, would it?

I mean...I know it's hard when that "undefeated" cherry gets popped (because it happened to me on my old account after 22 debates)....but you move on.....

Just spend a few hours staring intensely into the bathroom mirror. You'll find yourself....yooooouuu'll find yourself.

That reminds me...off topic....but...whatever.

So, my buddys and I are tripping f*cking balls on 4 hits of gel tabs...running through the woods like hooligans.
All of a sudden...like 10 miles into the woods (far away from a trail)...we stumble upon a shoe-string tied to an ash tree.
If you've ever tripped on acid, you know why this is immensely significant. Minor coincidences tend to become epic omen of good fortune....or they can ruin a trip, but that's a different story.

Anyways, we all stare at this string wondering hown it got there. After about fourty failed ideas, including one about a deer who's pissed that he can't tie his new cross-trainers, we decide to leave the string in case another wandering soul needs encouragement and good fortune.

That's when my buddy reaches out and snatches the string. He ties it to his belt loop and begins to smile with such satisfaction.

"Why did you do that?" I asked.
"If I get lost", he said," I can follow the string back to myself."

Awestruck at his wisdom, we all begged him for the string.

he curled his eyebrows and pointed sternly at us.
"That was your downfall......when the string became mine".



Anyways.....the whole bathroom mirror thing about "finding yourself" made me want to tell this story.

Have a wonderful "trip" Ryuu....don't forget to blink. If you stare at yourself in the mirror without blinking, "they" will come for you.


My coffee tastes weird today.

No. Somebody jumped in last minute and voted to break the pre-agreed tie. Airmax already said he would remove it, so this loss is only cosmetic until he logs on and changes it.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 1:07:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Good luck, RyuuKyuzo. I had a similar problem when I first joined DDO. I used to be logged on all the time and take 5-6 debates at a time. It is a huge time suck. I enjoyed reading your exploits on DDO, challenging the notion that you couldn't join the Premier DDO League, winning, and debating your debating your way in, as well as your debate on the Toilet Seat. I hope you come back at some point soon.