Jump to topic:

Summer Abroad - Mixed Feelings

Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 8:33:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This month of May, my school will be having a study tour to Europe. It is being led by my school Art/Architecture program, so we will be studying the various buildings and its history and drawing them as well. The main cities the tour covers is Pienza, Roma, Paris, and London.

My friend is the person who told me about the tour and wants me to go with her because she knows no one else going and wants a friend along. I am actually a part of the Art program at the school so the tour sounded really interesting to me, however I am now having mixed feelings about going and have a week to decide.

Here are the reasons preventing me from going:

-The trip will cost about $6000 tuition
-Its for the whole month of May and I fear becoming home-sick
-If I go, I won't have any real vacation/time of from school because I usually start my summer job in June.

I know the reasons for not going is pretty self-centered but I mainly want to know if it is worth it. My main issue is not being home for the month of May. Typically, I finish school at the end of April, enjoy myself in May (kind of my party month), and then start my summer job in June and I don't want to stress to much. I also don't have that eagerness to attend from when I first heard about it.
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 8:38:00 PM
Aren't you the same guy that complained about a sheltered home life?

Well, I would figure that would be reason enough.

But, if it's not, then I'd fancy that would probably be the best time of your life, and not because of the girl (although, I'm sure she'd help).
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 8:53:41 PM
At 1/30/2013 8:38:00 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

But, if it's not, then I'd fancy that would probably be the best time of your life, and not because of the girl (although, I'm sure she'd help).

Well the difference here is being away from my actual home and friends to a place I never been for a whole month. Also, its a study tour, so as much as I want to go partying in Europe, so to speak, I am there to do school work.
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 9:01:49 PM
At 1/30/2013 8:53:41 PM, Jordan56 wrote:

Well the difference here is being away from my actual home and friends to a place I never been for a whole month.

That's kind of the point.

Also, its a study tour, so as much as I want to go partying in Europe, so to speak, I am there to do school work.

Well, if you actually like what you're studying (art), then Europe is definitely the place to be for that. Besides, unless you're 21 and going specifically to Barcelona, you probably wouldn't have much fun even if you were there to party. You would probably have a higher likelihood of having a nightmare of a time, in fact.
LatentDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 9:15:59 PM
Just shut up and get on with it.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

People who think they know everything are extremely irritating to those of us who do.

"If you believe in a god, just tell me why you don't believe in all the other gods. The reasons you give will be why I don't believe in yours." - Ricky THEGENIUS Gervais
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 9:18:37 PM
At 1/30/2013 9:15:59 PM, LatentDebater wrote:
Just shut up and get on with it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2013 9:18:39 PM
At 1/30/2013 9:01:49 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/30/2013 8:53:41 PM, Jordan56 wrote:

Well the difference here is being away from my actual home and friends to a place I never been for a whole month.

That's kind of the point.

Also, its a study tour, so as much as I want to go partying in Europe, so to speak, I am there to do school work.

Well, if you actually like what you're studying (art), then Europe is definitely the place to be for that. Besides, unless you're 21 and going specifically to Barcelona, you probably wouldn't have much fun even if you were there to party. You would probably have a higher likelihood of having a nightmare of a time, in fact.

Yeah, I'm prepared for all of that if I go. My main worry, though, is not having any time to relieve from school. I said this in the OP, but basically I go from school, to study tour, to summer job, back to school. I cherish my free month of May. Now if I was to go on this study tour, is it likely that I can enjoy myself there and not feel stressed all the time. I am not sure the intensity of work we will be doing.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 12:03:22 AM
At 1/30/2013 8:33:55 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
This month of May, my school will be having a study tour to Europe. It is being led by my school Art/Architecture program, so we will be studying the various buildings and its history and drawing them as well. The main cities the tour covers is Pienza, Roma, Paris, and London.

My friend is the person who told me about the tour and wants me to go with her because she knows no one else going and wants a friend along. I am actually a part of the Art program at the school so the tour sounded really interesting to me, however I am now having mixed feelings about going and have a week to decide.

-If I go, I won't have any real vacation/time of from school because I usually start my summer job in June.

I know the reasons for not going is pretty self-centered but I mainly want to know if it is worth it. My main issue is not being home for the month of May. Typically, I finish school at the end of April, enjoy myself in May (kind of my party month), and then start my summer job in June and I don't want to stress to much. I also don't have that eagerness to attend from when I first heard about it.

That sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. The first time I went to Europe (from the US, of course) I was very nervous. Granted, I've only flown through London and I've never been to Paris, but Italy is a remarkably beautiful country. I'm also kind of an architecture nut too, so really that sounds like something I would do for a vacation.

I can tell you that it will go by a lot quicker than you think it will now, and while you might miss home, the experience will be worth it -especially if you have never been to Europe before. The people are friendly and hospitable. The food is almost always fantastic. The culture left me in awe.

And 6,000 USD isn't actually that bad of a price for what you're describing btw, -especially if airfare is included.
Tsar of DDO
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 1:11:56 AM
This angst is understandable; I felt nervous about travelling overseas (although my cost was covered by others) a few weeks back for my first overseas trip. The trip, the experience and the associated insights... it's incredible.

If you've gone overseas before the drawcard obviously isn't as big. On another note, feeling 'home-sick' ought not to be too big a problem given that there are enough cultural similarities where you're going, more than I had, although my trip was admittedly shorter.

On vacation time, you will enjoy the trip. A 1/3 of my 6 week summer holiday (we have multiple terms) was somewhat wiped out by it. That said, does your summer job prevent relaxation completely? You'll need to evaluate such matters yourself.

Oh, and architecture is a great thing to admire, so that's a boon.

Obviously you know how to weigh the factors better than I do. However, it's easy to rationalise one's way out of opportunities. You may regret your decision later though.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 1:14:22 AM
What would you do with those 6000 dollars if you didn't spend them on this?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 12:33:14 AM
At 1/30/2013 8:33:55 PM, Jordan56 wrote:

Life experience is perhaps the most valuable thing you can obtain, do not forsake it. Do not let comfort and complacency rob you of valuable life experiences.
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 9:41:04 PM
So after speaking with the person in charge of trip, she was able to influence my whole thoughts on it. The main thing that got me going was the fact that we have no curfew. Now I don't want to be rebel but its kind of funny that it was that reason that got me going.

Here is our day to day schedule on the weekdays:

8:00AM-8:30AM Breakfast
9:00AM-12:00PM Work/Study/Museums
12:00PM-1:00PM Lunch of our choosing
1:00PM-6:00PM Work/Study/Museums
6:00PM-8:00AM(The Next Day) Free Time

Saturday is a free day and Sunday is our independent study day. Just given the schedule, influenced my whole opinion of the trip and I know its the fact that we have no curfew. I am wrong for this. Now I am wondering if any of the cities we are going to has a nightlife? Should I get involved with it? Is there anything else I can do when I'm free?
Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 8:03:03 PM
At 2/3/2013 9:41:04 PM, Jordan56 wrote:
So after speaking with the person in charge of trip, she was able to influence my whole thoughts on it. The main thing that got me going was the fact that we have no curfew. Now I don't want to be rebel but its kind of funny that it was that reason that got me going.

Here is our day to day schedule on the weekdays:

8:00AM-8:30AM Breakfast
9:00AM-12:00PM Work/Study/Museums
12:00PM-1:00PM Lunch of our choosing
1:00PM-6:00PM Work/Study/Museums
6:00PM-8:00AM(The Next Day) Free Time

Saturday is a free day and Sunday is our independent study day. Just given the schedule, influenced my whole opinion of the trip and I know its the fact that we have no curfew. I am wrong for this. Now I am wondering if any of the cities we are going to has a nightlife? Should I get involved with it? Is there anything else I can do when I'm free?