Jump to topic:

What has happened?

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:30:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, my life seems to be less enjoyable without DDO. This is true. I have been working a lot, and haven't had my head anywhere but with the daily worries of work and life, and nothing of DDO.

There was a time when I was glued to DDO, and felt that I had a vested interest in everything that went on, but now I'm a marginal guy that a few remember and I'm sort of like the guy on the outside looking in and wishing that I was more involved.

This can, and probably will happen to you. Yes, you. Time is a precious resource at times in your life, and DDO can become expendable in this. Perhaps not now, perhaps when you have a relationship with someone who doesn't share much of the value of DDO with you. Perhaps you will find when you scroll through the forums NOTHING of any interest, or you see an argument that you could really delve into, but you just don't feel like it. Yes this can happen to you.

Enjoy it while you have it. DDO is good for you, despite what anyone may say. It helps you think critically and you can make some good (on line) friends.

I also miss some of the people that used to be here like Cerebral, Panda, JKenyon even Cosmic. I'm sure that there are some fine people here that I haven't met yet, but.....I haven't met them yet.

Just rambling away after a really long day, during a really long week.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:33:33 PM
Debate more or something.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:35:32 PM
At 1/31/2013 3:33:33 PM, MouthWash wrote:

I really don't have the time to put into a debate. Although I am working out something with Charlesb in doing a conversational debate where there are no sources needed, but only rhetoric.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:37:41 PM
I often think of how it would be to take a complete stop from the site, and return in 10 years. How will it be, who will remain, what kind of new members will there be, etc. Very interesting.

At 1/31/2013 3:35:32 PM, innomen wrote:
At 1/31/2013 3:33:33 PM, MouthWash wrote:

I really don't have the time to put into a debate.
Shame indeed, you're excellent in debates!
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:39:24 PM
Coooooommmmmmmeeeee bbbbaasaacccccccckkkkkkkkk...........
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:41:53 PM
At 1/31/2013 3:37:26 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I can't really say, but we've missed you old bean.

+1
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:42:55 PM
At 1/31/2013 3:41:52 PM, innomen wrote:
How many of you, when you turn on your computer, the first thing you do is...click on your DDO icon? Hmmmmm?

*raises hand*
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:43:23 PM
How many of you, when you turn on your computer, the first thing you do is...click on your DDO icon? Hmmmmm?

I don't have a DDO icon but I have it set to open whenever I open a browser window.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:43:36 PM
At 1/31/2013 3:42:55 PM, imabench wrote:

*raises hand*
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:44:02 PM
At 1/31/2013 3:30:52 PM, innomen wrote:
So, my life seems to be less enjoyable without DDO. This is true. I have been working a lot, and haven't had my head anywhere but with the daily worries of work and life, and nothing of DDO.

There was a time when I was glued to DDO, and felt that I had a vested interest in everything that went on, but now I'm a marginal guy that a few remember and I'm sort of like the guy on the outside looking in and wishing that I was more involved.

This can, and probably will happen to you. Yes, you. Time is a precious resource at times in your life, and DDO can become expendable in this. Perhaps not now, perhaps when you have a relationship with someone who doesn't share much of the value of DDO with you. Perhaps you will find when you scroll through the forums NOTHING of any interest, or you see an argument that you could really delve into, but you just don't feel like it. Yes this can happen to you.

Enjoy it while you have it. DDO is good for you, despite what anyone may say. It helps you think critically and you can make some good (on line) friends.

I also miss some of the people that used to be here like Cerebral, Panda, JKenyon even Cosmic. I'm sure that there are some fine people here that I haven't met yet, but.....I haven't met them yet.

I sort of had a similar experience in the latter months of last year. I had a lot of stuff going on in life that required I cut the time I spent on DDO, so I left and closed my account. Now I'm back, but only sort of. I enjoy being on here though. Lots of interesting people from all sorts of backgrounds. I like that. I also like that you're back. You were/are a good president and member.
Tsar of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:44:40 PM
At 1/31/2013 3:43:23 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

I don't have a DDO icon but I have it set to open whenever I open a browser window.

Yeah, I used to be like that. Those were the good old days. Now I go straight to my WebMail and get right to work.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:47:05 PM

*raises hand*
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:47:25 PM
Thank you for all the kind words, it wasn't really my intention, although it's certainly appreciated. I will say that I miss the interaction of you people, and even though I'm really old (48), there is a certain barrier that is lost in that when you are here.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:48:56 PM

Enjoy life. Nevermind this place Innomen. We remember you very much so.
Thank you for participating for sure. Good day.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:49:58 PM
At 1/31/2013 3:43:36 PM, Nidhogg wrote:

*raises hand*
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:50:01 PM

*raises hand*

I'm gonna have to confess, too...
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:51:04 PM

I'm at that phase right now.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:53:37 PM
At 1/31/2013 3:48:56 PM, inferno wrote:

Enjoy life. Nevermind this place Innomen. We remember you very much so.
Thank you for participating for sure. Good day.

As odd as this sounds, you are now one of the old timers here.
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 3:57:16 PM
I had to temporarily leave DDO for midterms, but I came back.
You're welcome
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 4:03:06 PM
At 1/31/2013 3:47:25 PM, innomen wrote:
Thank you for all the kind words, it wasn't really my intention, although it's certainly appreciated. I will say that I miss the interaction of you people, and even though I'm really old (48), there is a certain barrier that is lost in that when you are here.

I've always thought you were gangster, although I have know I idea what you see in Cerebral. :\

To approach the OP:

In my experience, time here waxes and wanes, as does the active population. When I first got here, I was addicted. Then, I lost my taste. Left for a while, came back, and it was even better. Then it waned, but I still couldn't pull myself away, and now, I guess I'm in a state of general satisfaction, and this website remains my favorite source of recreation.

But, my time here has been ostensibly atypically complex.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 4:12:22 PM

I feel you on these points. And I've only been here a little over a year! There are already people I miss. I had to stop coming for about 4 months or so though due to disinterest and being busy. Though I still talked to some DDO folks.

I wonder when that time will come again...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 7:49:35 PM

I couldn't agree more. Especially the bolded.
yang.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 8:06:47 PM

Email, ebay, facebook, DDO in that order
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 8:20:15 PM
At 1/31/2013 8:06:47 PM, sadolite wrote:

Email, ebay, facebook, DDO in that order

Ebay?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush