Jump to topic:

Superhumanity

Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 10:52:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, I've been thinking about superheroes lately, and something occurred to me.

Almost invariably (I can't say for sure, I'm not extremely well read in comics and all that jazz), superheroes just suddenly become "super" out of nowhere. They wake up one day and BAM! Pecks, six pack, and thighs from hell.

But, if there were to every be any actual superheroes, I just don't see it happening that way. It seems far more realistic for people to instead have superhero potential that must be pushed out.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of comics out there (particularly from Marvel) that cause these things to come about as a result of trauma, or as a fight or flight mechanism, but that's not quite what I'm talking about, because those people are usually otherwise normal.

What I mean is, if anyone is to have any sort of superhuman potential, don't they need to first exceed the potential of every other human being first?

So, take superhuman strength, for example. Rather than just waking up all strong and whatnot, or simply "realizing" that you're "especially strong," wouldn't a person need to first exercise and train and push and sweat for weeks or months before they realize that they're not reaching a plateau? There comes a point when every human that pushes him or herself realizes that he or she isn't getting any better. This is it. This is as good as they are, period. From there, it's all maintaining.

However, what if there were no "this is it"? What if they just kept training, and kept getting stronger?

This could be said about all super powers, really. Take mind reading as another example. Someone doesn't just suddenly read minds out of nowhere, I wouldn't think, especially if it's able to be controlled in any way. Instead, they must actually do something. But, what is that something? How could it be accessed without exercising one's mind in a way that would grant them access to such a talent? What I mean is, no matter how intelligent a person is, that person will first need to access information and learn... and learn, and learn... and realize that they're remembering and understanding more than their peers... then, more than their professors... until they finally realize that they're geniuses. Such genius doesn't just manifest just like that -- one day, they can do complex physics equations in their head. No -- even for them, it takes years. It may evidence itself, but it won't be functional without exercise, work, trials, and improvement. Likewise, a person that reads minds would need to at least attempt to read someone's mind, or in some way exercise whatever part of their brain causes them to read minds, and then increase their ability until it's fully developed.

So, to bring this all together, there are a lot of people out there that do push themselves, and do end up doing some rather incredible things.

But, what if pushing one's self were the norm? What if everyone always tried their very hardest, pushing themselves as hard as possible in every arena, in an attempt to manifest whatever latent potential they may actually have?

I mean, there are several cases of people doing some ridiculously insane things. Parkour still fascinates me. Then, there's that man in India who can conduct electricity without pain or any other physical consequence. There are people who can pull entire trucks with their penises.

Well, perhaps humans are generally so distracted with the human paradigm that most don't even try. Most haven't even tapped into what they can really do. They, instead, live listless lives of conformity and servitude to a "higher purpose" that they're not even really that aware of.

What if most, if not all humans, actually had the full potential to be what would be considered "superhuman," and those that are truly exceptional are much more numerous, as people that one would assume exists only in comics? What if, with a redirected purpose in life, humans can actually become true gods of this world, and that is the actual locus of our manifestation into what we should really be? Would this finally give us access to the rest of the Universe? Will it finally impart the sort of knowledge that would grant us real understanding an enlightenment?

Thoughts?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 10:54:31 PM
At 1/31/2013 10:52:44 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
So, I've been thinking about superheroes lately, and something occurred to me.

Almost invariably (I can't say for sure, I'm not extremely well read in comics and all that jazz), superheroes just suddenly become "super" out of nowhere. They wake up one day and BAM! Pecks, six pack, and thighs from hell.

But, if there were to every be any actual superheroes, I just don't see it happening that way. It seems far more realistic for people to instead have superhero potential that must be pushed out.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of comics out there (particularly from Marvel) that cause these things to come about as a result of trauma, or as a fight or flight mechanism, but that's not quite what I'm talking about, because those people are usually otherwise normal.

What I mean is, if anyone is to have any sort of superhuman potential, don't they need to first exceed the potential of every other human being first?

So, take superhuman strength, for example. Rather than just waking up all strong and whatnot, or simply "realizing" that you're "especially strong," wouldn't a person need to first exercise and train and push and sweat for weeks or months before they realize that they're not reaching a plateau? There comes a point when every human that pushes him or herself realizes that he or she isn't getting any better. This is it. This is as good as they are, period. From there, it's all maintaining.

However, what if there were no "this is it"? What if they just kept training, and kept getting stronger?

This could be said about all super powers, really. Take mind reading as another example. Someone doesn't just suddenly read minds out of nowhere, I wouldn't think, especially if it's able to be controlled in any way. Instead, they must actually do something. But, what is that something? How could it be accessed without exercising one's mind in a way that would grant them access to such a talent? What I mean is, no matter how intelligent a person is, that person will first need to access information and learn... and learn, and learn... and realize that they're remembering and understanding more than their peers... then, more than their professors... until they finally realize that they're geniuses. Such genius doesn't just manifest just like that -- one day, they can do complex physics equations in their head. No -- even for them, it takes years. It may evidence itself, but it won't be functional without exercise, work, trials, and improvement. Likewise, a person that reads minds would need to at least attempt to read someone's mind, or in some way exercise whatever part of their brain causes them to read minds, and then increase their ability until it's fully developed.

So, to bring this all together, there are a lot of people out there that do push themselves, and do end up doing some rather incredible things.

But, what if pushing one's self were the norm? What if everyone always tried their very hardest, pushing themselves as hard as possible in every arena, in an attempt to manifest whatever latent potential they may actually have?

I mean, there are several cases of people doing some ridiculously insane things. Parkour still fascinates me. Then, there's that man in India who can conduct electricity without pain or any other physical consequence. There are people who can pull entire trucks with their penises.

Well, perhaps humans are generally so distracted with the human paradigm that most don't even try. Most haven't even tapped into what they can really do. They, instead, live listless lives of conformity and servitude to a "higher purpose" that they're not even really that aware of.

What if most, if not all humans, actually had the full potential to be what would be considered "superhuman," and those that are truly exceptional are much more numerous, as people that one would assume exists only in comics? What if, with a redirected purpose in life, humans can actually become true gods of this world, and that is the actual locus of our manifestation into what we should really be? Would this finally give us access to the rest of the Universe? Will it finally impart the sort of knowledge that would grant us real understanding an enlightenment?

Thoughts?

Have you ever read Das Sprach Zarathustra?
Tsar of DDO
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:01:18 PM
At 1/31/2013 10:54:31 PM, YYW wrote:

No, but I'm reading about it now and I certainly see the relevance. I think I'm going to have to find this somewhere and read it, in fact. I've heard a lot about it, and encountered a lot of literary references to it before, but didn't realize where it was from.

Anything specific about it? ^_^ Tell me more.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:08:09 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:01:18 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

No, but I'm reading about it now and I certainly see the relevance. I think I'm going to have to find this somewhere and read it, in fact. I've heard a lot about it, and encountered a lot of literary references to it before, but didn't realize where it was from.

Here's the German version:
http://www.wissensnavigator.com...

Here's an adequate English version:
http://www2.hn.psu.edu...

It's interesting, and a worthwhile read. It's one of Nietzsche's most colorful works that deals with the concept of "bermenschen (the men over [mere] men). I'd recommend it for you... a short, but entertaining read.
Tsar of DDO
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:09:45 PM
I am the night!

*vaults out of thread... SNEAKILY*
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:10:32 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:08:09 PM, YYW wrote:

It's interesting, and a worthwhile read. It's one of Nietzsche's most colorful works that deals with the concept of "bermenschen (the men over [mere] men). I'd recommend it for you... a short, but entertaining read.

Thanks! :D
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:10:44 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:09:45 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
I am the night!

Hahahaha, ninja powers ftw.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:11:05 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:10:32 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/31/2013 11:08:09 PM, YYW wrote:

Thanks! :D

No worries. Enjoy!
Tsar of DDO
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:32:46 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:10:44 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
I am the night!

Hahahaha, ninja powers ftw

*appears behind Franz*

HELL YEAH BRO

*smokebombs*
*smoke thins, i'm gone*
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:35:08 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:32:46 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
I am the night!

*appears behind Franz*

HELL YEAH BRO

*smokebombs*
*smoke thins, i'm gone*

*Follows shining outline into a walking group, gets a hidden, incognito, focus, poison*
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:35:55 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:35:08 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/31/2013 11:32:46 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
I am the night!

*appears behind Franz*

HELL YEAH BRO

*smokebombs*
*smoke thins, i'm gone*

*Follows shining outline into a walking group, gets a hidden, incognito, focus, poison*

*rips shirt off and dances*
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:37:40 PM
*Uses ridiculous amounts of Photogenicness to burn Franz to a crisp with pure hotness*
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:39:07 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:37:40 PM, Nidhogg wrote:
*Uses ridiculous amounts of Photogenicness to burn Franz to a crisp with pure hotness*

*Checks profile*

Relationship:Single
Interested:in Men and Women

Uh oh!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:40:02 PM

Photogenicism, awesome superpower
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:40:39 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:40:02 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Photogenicism, awesome superpower

You would know.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:40:41 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:39:07 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

*Checks profile*

Uh oh!

LOLOL
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:42:58 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:40:41 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

*Checks profile*

Uh oh!

LOLOL

No Comment

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:46:24 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:42:58 PM, Nidhogg wrote:

*Checks profile*

Uh oh!

LOLOL

No Comment

Does the no comment mean anything?
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:48:59 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:46:24 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 1/31/2013 11:42:58 PM, Nidhogg wrote:

*Checks profile*

Uh oh!

LOLOL

No Comment

Does the no comment mean anything?

No comment

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:52:48 PM
Does that no comment mean anything?
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:54:05 PM
This thread begins with super humanity, and ends with awkward dude flirting. Nietzsche would literally lol.
Tsar of DDO
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 11:57:51 PM
At 1/31/2013 11:54:05 PM, YYW wrote:
This thread begins with super humanity, and ends with awkward dude flirting. Nietzsche would literally lol.

I'm just trying to figure out of he took insult to my laughter... I dont like to act rudely and if he took it as rudeness i would certainly apologize for that percieved rudeness
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 12:02:21 AM
At 1/31/2013 11:57:51 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

I'm just trying to figure out of he took insult to my laughter... I dont like to act rudely and if he took it as rudeness i would certainly apologize for that percieved rudeness

I kinda took offense to it

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 12:05:00 AM
At 2/1/2013 12:02:21 AM, Nidhogg wrote:

I found the "love connection pic" to be humurous. I meant no laughter at your bisexuality. I fully respect that, and totally think thats cool bro. To each their own i always say. Please accept my sincerest apologies
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 12:08:18 AM
At 2/1/2013 12:05:00 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

I found the "love connection pic" to be humurous. I meant no laughter at your bisexuality. I fully respect that, and totally think thats cool bro. To each their own i always say. Please accept my sincerest apologies

Thanks

Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 12:11:16 AM
At 2/1/2013 12:08:18 AM, Nidhogg wrote:

Thanks

Don't be silly, it's a running joke between us.

I hope you didn't take offense to me, either...

...I mean, the dude in your avie sure isn't ugly or anything... ;)
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 12:13:42 AM
At 2/1/2013 12:11:16 AM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

Thanks

I'm confortable enough in my sexuality to say he is totally good lookin. Up there with me even :O and thats sayin something with how big of an ego i have
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 12:14:49 AM
At 2/1/2013 12:13:42 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

Thanks

I'm confortable enough in my sexuality to say he is totally good lookin. Up there with me even :O and thats sayin something with how big of an ego i have

That's what I'm sayin'.

I may be straight, but that dude is hot.
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 12:15:58 AM
At 2/1/2013 12:14:49 AM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 2/1/2013 12:13:42 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

Thanks

That's what I'm sayin'.

I may be straight, but that dude is hot.

Ok, I get it.