Jump to topic:

DDO a distraction

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 6:08:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think a lot of people post their personal concerns here so I'll post one of mine. Lately, DDO has become a huge distraction for me. I am normally very private but I'll give a little bit of background on myself. I am in college right now and taking quite a few challenging classes. I need a ton of time to do my HW (which is usually posted online). Yet, I am getting too distracted with DDO especially the mafia forum. I plan to study between classes but whenever I get to the computer lab, I can't help opening up a forum and checking out the latest posts on the DDO forums, debates and most of all mafia games. I get sucked into it and realize that I still have a ton of work to do. As deadline approaches, I start cramming because I am behind.

If you are wondering about my grades, I generally do well in academics. I just don't think it is healthy to play first and put off work for later. But the problem with DDO is that it is interesting. There are a lot of wonderful people here, and it is also intellectually stimulating. Anyone have any tips on how to not keep DDO tabs open while you work and study (this is something I do). I am sure you might have noticed that my profile always says "logged on" even when I am not present.

Anyways, I don't want to leave DDO, I just want to use it in moderation somewhat like junk food and social drinking.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 7:23:10 AM
Do you have google chrome? I'm sure there are versions for other browsers anyway. There's an extension called StayFocusd that only lets you browse listed websites for a certain amount of time: https://chrome.google.com... before it disables them and replaces them with the message "Shouldn't you be working?".
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 7:49:36 AM
google chrom is the best espisaly when I have to do Exempt work and I also have DDO tab open so I have a total of 10 tabs at any given moment.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
LatentDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 8:55:57 AM
DDO isn't a distraction from school. School is a distraction from DDO. :O...

In all seriousness stop being a wimp and just focus yourself.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

People who think they know everything are extremely irritating to those of us who do.

"If you believe in a god, just tell me why you don't believe in all the other gods. The reasons you give will be why I don't believe in yours." - Ricky THEGENIUS Gervais
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:42:16 AM
If you can't help getting involved in the mafia games you're in, the obvious solution is to not sign up for them. At the very least, only play in one at a time. I don't know how you do it with playing 3 games at once and then adding college onto that. I learned pretty quickly that being in 3 games at once isn't entertaining in the least, lol.

But I can sympathize with constantly wanting to check the forums. A big part of mafia is being able to be online when important events happen (such as a guilty verdict, someone FOSing you, or the start of a DP). But because those events can happen at any given time, you basically want to be online constantly to maximize the chances that you're there for it. This makes it difficult to play in moderation, since if you don't log in as much then you're constantly have to worry about how much stuff you're going to miss. Plus, if you're not online as often, you'll have to spend more time catching up on hundreds of posts when you do get on, which is a pain.

Thats why the ideal option is to just not sign up for a lot of games, as opposed to signing up but only giving 50-60% effort. Its so much easier to do that. After I stopped playing, stuff just got a whole lot more relaxing. I could watch a movie or TV show without having to worry about something crazy happening in the game that I might miss. Same goes for homework. Its just a lot easier to focus on it without mafia being in the back of your head. And if you go for the option of only playing in one game, you can at least be able to chill when its the NP.

Or if you have some way to predict what your workload will be each week, you can sign up for a couple games in lighter weeks and fewer games in heavier weeks.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 4:45:09 PM
I shouldn't be one to speak considering my time on DDO is not perfectly spent, but I will.

Your contribution to Mafia is legendary for it's depth and analysis. So, how do you do it in multiple games? By spending lots of time, and yet you somehow do it in all your games. I feel the same honour like commitment to participate if I say I will. I've never been in 4 games at once though, I've been in 3 games at once maybe twice, and it's way too much for me. 2 games is manageable if I'm relatively free, but it's troubling particularly in busier times.

I think that 1 game will likely be my limit for the coming year. I have perhaps 2 and a half -3 hours of unallocated time (depends on factors like how long it takes to prepare dinner) a day if I'm lucky. Immediately, I want a good half an hour of textbook reading, then there's homework to do, then there's random things that pop up (at least another half an hour) , then there's occasional after school activities like mock trial and chess. Of course, I ought to be doing half an hour of tough exercise a day as well, but I don't... As a rough rule of thumb, a Mafia game will take up at least half and hour - an hour a day. On your weekends expect that to be higher as you fall into it.

There's a perpetual struggle to discipline oneself. One tool easily used is heavy-handed - Kinesis' idea of time restrictions. There are either ideas like creating goal lists (although I don't follow mine very well...) . The first step is probably to cap your Mafia games at 2. I cap myself at one unless I like the moderators of games that are ongoing; heck, I tend to only sign up for games of moderators I enjoy or a great group of players. Selfish yes, but effective.

Oh dear me, I've spent a bit too much time on DDO this morning. Luckily, it's the weekend.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 5:51:39 PM
Our lives are parallel, f-16. Aside from mafia, I could almost have said what you've just said word for word.

If I had any advice to give, I would. Let me know if you find a good strategy haha
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:10:41 PM
Thanks BV and Logic.

@ Kinesis, I just downloaded stay focussed and added DDO to it. I put in DDO and youtube as my blocked sites and put a 3 hour limit. Let's see how that works for me. I can only visit DDO 3 hours a day from now on. My original intention was to put in 5 hours but stay focussed started throwing out mocking popups to try to get me to reduce it to 3 hours. Since DDO is pretty much the only one on my blocked list that I regularly visit, I think this should cut down my time on DDO to 3 hours a day. I'd be interested in seeing results a week from now and I'll comment back at that point. Thanks for your help! And everyone else too.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:15:04 PM
At 2/1/2013 9:10:41 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Thanks BV and Logic.

@ Kinesis, I just downloaded stay focussed and added DDO to it. I put in DDO and youtube as my blocked sites and put a 3 hour limit. Let's see how that works for me. I can only visit DDO 3 hours a day from now on. My original intention was to put in 5 hours but stay focussed started throwing out mocking popups to try to get me to reduce it to 3 hours. Since DDO is pretty much the only one on my blocked list that I regularly visit, I think this should cut down my time on DDO to 3 hours a day. I'd be interested in seeing results a week from now and I'll comment back at that point. Thanks for your help! And everyone else too.

These sound like goods steps.

I once had the same problem. So I got a coffee table (only about 2 feet off the ground), and a bean bad chair, so I do homework there, with a lamp, my work, papers, and my iPod dock.

When you do homework with a small coffee table it is uncomfortably and somewhat difficult to move the table, so you are much more concentrated. Breaks are important too, but need to be kept in moderation.

I also have troubles with productivity, I can only do so much homework every night.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 11:48:43 PM
At 2/1/2013 7:23:10 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Do you have Google chrome? I'm sure there are versions for other browsers anyway. There's an extension called StayFocusd that only lets you browse listed websites for a certain amount of time: https://chrome.google.com... before it disables them and replaces them with the message "Shouldn't you be working?".

Awesome.

Thanx.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...