Jump to topic:

Have you ever just wanted to be a Hobo?

XDToasty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 9:56:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hey I'm 17 and I live in Florida , I have a job and a okay car living with my mom. so far I'm bored as hell and I hate Florida. I'm going on a trip to New York City next month with some friends from Canada. Iv'e been thinking about it for quite some time and iv'e been thinking of just not coming back to Florida. even though I'll only have a few things with me like a little clothes and a little money , I really think I want to just stay in New York city. even though I won't have my own place and I'll probably live in the streets , I could care less as long as I don't have to go back to Florida. do you guys think I'd be able to make it as a hobo for a while and get a job and get my own apartment there? or what?
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 10:05:52 PM
I've lived in Florida and I've lived in NYC.

If you intend to be a hobo, you should stay in Florida. In NYC, esp. coming from Florida, you would die.

Or, better yet, move to San Fran.

Either way, been there, done that.

Real life ain't fun, and it ain't pretty.
XDToasty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 10:11:20 PM
Iv'e been in survival situations before. I was helping my friend run away from his grandmas in Miami to my house in Fort Lauderdale at 3 a.m by foot when I was 15. it was about a 16 - 17 mile walk in the most scariest time of night in a really scary area. almost fought guy for asking me for bus money at 3 a.m
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 10:14:20 PM
Lol, NYC is whole different animal, trust me.

For one, the seasons are far more exaggerated. 100+ in the summer plus humidity, 10 - in the winter, plus snow.

Add to this the fact that people are just assholles. I mean, really. They're just jerks, and they won't help in NYC. They'll just try to run you over. In addition, food costs more, clothes are scarce, and everything generally sucks.

If you don't have money, stay in Florida.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 11:32:34 PM
At 2/4/2013 9:56:07 PM, XDToasty wrote:
Hey I'm 17 and I live in Florida , I have a job and a okay car living with my mom. so far I'm bored as hell and I hate Florida. I'm going on a trip to New York City next month with some friends from Canada. Iv'e been thinking about it for quite some time and iv'e been thinking of just not coming back to Florida. even though I'll only have a few things with me like a little clothes and a little money , I really think I want to just stay in New York city. even though I won't have my own place and I'll probably live in the streets , I could care less as long as I don't have to go back to Florida. do you guys think I'd be able to make it as a hobo for a while and get a job and get my own apartment there? or what?

Unless you have sufficient means to survive in NYC, I would urge cautions. Besides, what would happen to your mom if you decide to stay in NYC?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 12:17:18 AM
At 2/5/2013 12:15:27 AM, tulle wrote:
Imagine being a hobo in the wintertime though :/

south isn't bad in the winter in the US. Going to LA during my winterbreak, I just wore shorts and t-shirt there. Canada's all the way up north, so i can understand the suckiness of being homeless in Canada.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 12:22:59 AM
At 2/5/2013 12:17:18 AM, darkkermit wrote:

south isn't bad in the winter in the US. Going to LA during my winterbreak, I just wore shorts and t-shirt there. Canada's all the way up north, so i can understand the suckiness of being homeless in Canada.

I meant in NYC! I would rather be a hobo in a warmer climate, like Florida. But I think it's better to be homeless in Canada. http://sandyscollectedthoughts.com...
yang.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 12:27:59 AM
At 2/5/2013 12:22:59 AM, tulle wrote:
At 2/5/2013 12:17:18 AM, darkkermit wrote:

I meant in NYC! I would rather be a hobo in a warmer climate, like Florida. But I think it's better to be homeless in Canada. http://sandyscollectedthoughts.com...

Hmmm...interesting. It originally says that the problem in the US is due to lack of medical coverage. however, it then goes on to state that there's a higher murder rate in the US, which could explain the mortality differences between Canada in the US. Should be noted that emergency care is sort of free in the US. They'll charge you, but you can't be refused care for not paying or inability to pay.
Open borders debate:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 1:02:23 AM
Yeah, I have just wanted to be a hobo before.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 1:25:13 AM
At 2/5/2013 1:02:23 AM, Oryus wrote:
Yeah, I have just wanted to be a hobo before.

LOL!

/thread
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 1:32:38 AM
I used to have it all planned out, actually.

We have at least one hobo member. If he's still alive.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 1:53:30 AM

Not to mention the rain. Whenever I'm caught in the rain, even for 5 minutes, I wish I were dead and everyone around me were also dead. I can't imagine having to suffer through that for an extended period of time, perhaps having to even sleep in damp, cold places. I'm weak. Natural selection missed me.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 1:57:35 AM
At 2/5/2013 1:32:38 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I used to have it all planned out, actually.

Yup. I've got all the supplies I need to rough it in a city. Now I just need the will to give up everything I've ever worked for :D
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 1:59:01 AM
At 2/5/2013 1:53:30 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Not to mention the rain. Whenever I'm caught in the rain, even for 5 minutes, I wish I were dead and everyone around me were also dead. I can't imagine having to suffer through that for an extended period of time, perhaps having to even sleep in damp, cold places. I'm weak. Natural selection missed me.

XD can't. breathe.
:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 5:10:45 AM
Why would I *want* to be homeless?

If you do want help, there is homeless member on this site. He is homeless by choice, but he has not logged on in quite a few months, so we are unsure if he is still alive.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 5:17:17 AM
I think you should go back with your mother to Florida. The climate is much harsher, so there's less chance that you'll survive based on the weather. In addition to this, New Yorkers are generally rude and sullen. They will be less inclined to help you for this reason as well as the fact that everyone is always asking people for help in NYC.

By the way, you are going to have a great deal of trouble finding work if you are homeless. The government oppresses the homeless by requiring that everybody have two identity cards in order to obtain legal work. In addition to this, most employers want some sort of address so that you can be held accountable if something goes wrong. So many people are jobless right now. Why should they hire a homeless person if they can hire someone with a home instead? On top of this, there are a ton of stereotypes associated with homelessness. People will assume you are unhygenic, lazy, and a drug user. It may not be fair, but that's what people will think, and they won't hire you for that reason as well.

Where are your references for your job applications going to come from? Will you have a cell phone so that employers can contact you? How are you going to support yourself for the first month, assuming that you get a job right away (you won't, trust me)? These are all things to think about before you decide to become homeless.
XDToasty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 4:08:08 PM
At 2/5/2013 5:17:17 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I think you should go back with your mother to Florida. The climate is much harsher, so there's less chance that you'll survive based on the weather. In addition to this, New Yorkers are generally rude and sullen. They will be less inclined to help you for this reason as well as the fact that everyone is always asking people for help in NYC.

By the way, you are going to have a great deal of trouble finding work if you are homeless. The government oppresses the homeless by requiring that everybody have two identity cards in order to obtain legal work. In addition to this, most employers want some sort of address so that you can be held accountable if something goes wrong. So many people are jobless right now. Why should they hire a homeless person if they can hire someone with a home instead? On top of this, there are a ton of stereotypes associated with homelessness. People will assume you are unhygenic, lazy, and a drug user. It may not be fair, but that's what people will think, and they won't hire you for that reason as well.

Where are your references for your job applications going to come from? Will you have a cell phone so that employers can contact you? How are you going to support yourself for the first month, assuming that you get a job right away (you won't, trust me)? These are all things to think about before you decide to become homeless.

Well I did put some thought into all that. I work now and I pay my own phone bills and car insurance and what not because I do have my own job at the time. My plan was sell my car , save the money I make off selling my car plus the money from work , continue paying my phone bill , quit my job, go on that trip , stay in New York in the streets or in a homeless shelter , find a job (hopefully before all my money runs out) , and get my own apartment there. I guess it's not about wanting to be homeless but more about staying in New York City even if I have to be homeless.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 5:59:33 PM
I still don't get why everyone just assumes cosmic is dead. I know tons of people who are homeless by choice at various times during the year in various places around the country and they're doing just fine. It seems like everyone is just scared because homelessness seems so foreign. Not that it isn't dangerous and bad for your health in general but sheesh... Cosmic DID leave DDO on purpose and even made a thread saying so.... It's not like he faded into obscurity without a word...

Paradigm is in law enforcement and hasn't logged in for a month.

Maybe he's dead! O.O
:
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 6:03:29 PM
Short answer: No

Long Answer: Heckkk nooooo sonnn
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 6:20:01 PM
Have I ever wanted to leave my heated house, family, food, shelter, and everything I dear (such as TECHNOLOGY) to live on the streets, be cold, get dirty looks, constantly be hungry, just because I don't really like Florida?

Does that answer your question?
XDToasty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 6:24:19 PM
At 2/5/2013 6:20:01 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:
Have I ever wanted to leave my heated house, family, food, shelter, and everything I dear (such as TECHNOLOGY) to live on the streets, be cold, get dirty looks, constantly be hungry, just because I don't really like Florida?

LOL yeah I guess not. but honestly I wouldn't mind leaving all of that. the only thing I would mind as being a hobo is being dirty all the time part. I want to be a nice , classy , well dressed hobo who is friendly.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 6:29:06 PM
At 2/5/2013 5:59:33 PM, Oryus wrote:
I still don't get why everyone just assumes cosmic is dead. I know tons of people who are homeless by choice at various times during the year in various places around the country and they're doing just fine. It seems like everyone is just scared because homelessness seems so foreign. Not that it isn't dangerous and bad for your health in general but sheesh... Cosmic DID leave DDO on purpose and even made a thread saying so.... It's not like he faded into obscurity without a word...

Maybe he's dead! O.O

Paradigm is alive because his facebook account is active. The fact that Cosmic hasn't responded to his email and none of his other internet accounts are active kind of demonstrates that either he's living off the internet or dead.
Open borders debate:
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 6:29:51 PM
At 2/5/2013 1:53:30 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Never come to England. You know why the English are such cynical bastards? It's the weather.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 6:39:19 PM
At 2/5/2013 6:29:06 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Maybe he's dead! O.O

Paradigm is alive because his facebook account is active. The fact that Cosmic hasn't responded to his email and none of his other internet accounts are active kind of demonstrates that either he's living off the internet or dead.

Living off the internet is pretty likely for a homeless person. Honestly, I'm surprised he was able to keep up online accounts at all.

On another note, has anyone from DDO ever died before and people knew it for sure?
:
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 7:14:41 PM
At 2/5/2013 6:24:19 PM, XDToasty wrote:
At 2/5/2013 6:20:01 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:

LOL yeah I guess not. but honestly I wouldn't mind leaving all of that. the only thing I would mind as being a hobo is being dirty all the time part. I want to be a nice , classy , well dressed hobo who is friendly.

Classy, well dressed hobo? Yeah sure, get reported to the cops for mugging some respectable business man and stealing his clothes.

You sick, sick boy.

But your clothes will get dirty, wet, and you'll look like a hobo.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 7:19:19 PM
At 2/5/2013 6:39:19 PM, Oryus wrote:

Maybe he's dead! O.O

Living off the internet is pretty likely for a homeless person. Honestly, I'm surprised he was able to keep up online accounts at all.

On another note, has anyone from DDO ever died before and people knew it for sure?

brittwaller. Didn't know him, but a few of the older members (kleptin, danielle, TUF jharry and Freedo) did.
Open borders debate:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 7:20:53 PM
At 2/5/2013 7:19:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/5/2013 6:39:19 PM, Oryus wrote:

Maybe he's dead! O.O

brittwaller. Didn't know him, but a few of the older members (kleptin, danielle, TUF jharry and Freedo) did.

I've heard that username before. How weird that would be if one of you who I knew died....
:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2013 8:21:18 PM
If you do decide to become a vagrant panhandling bum (hobo) and go to Florida, don't go to Sarasota. The police will run you out of town and good riddance to. Go piss and sleep on someone else's lawn or door step in another state. Who the hell in their right mind would fantasize about being a vegrant bum.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%