Jump to topic:

Meaning of life

ProNoob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 3:25:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
As cliche as it is I was wondering what you people have as your meaning of life (obviously nihilists haven't got one and I pretty much don't either but saying 'don't have one' isn't useful).

My main one is to think as deep as I can for as long as my functioning brain will allow me to.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 7:29:08 PM
At 2/10/2013 3:25:29 PM, ProNoob wrote:
As cliche as it is I was wondering what you people have as your meaning of life (obviously nihilists haven't got one and I pretty much don't either but saying 'don't have one' isn't useful).

My main one is to think as deep as I can for as long as my functioning brain will allow me to.

"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 7:33:39 PM
To get as close to truth as possible.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 7:40:19 PM
It's whatever you want it to be. We each assign independent and subjective value to our life
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 8:19:25 PM

Do what you believe to be right.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 11:35:22 PM
The meaning of life is just about impossible to answer under a designative view of meaning. Under what might be called an expression based vie of meaning, ie. an expression brings about meaning, one can formulate answers. What you're probably looking for is a question like 'what is the purpose of life? ' The word 'meaning' gets you stuck in tricky semantic issues...

And that's where a few minutes in the Coursera Introduction to Philosophy course gets you!
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 11:37:13 PM
At 2/10/2013 7:29:08 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

This.

But if you don't think "What is the meaning of life?" is the Ultimate Question, then i'd go with learning how to care about people and help them. I decided my life was worth living because i saw the impact it could have on others so i stuck around because of that. I'm not going to completely devote myself to everyone else, since then i've found quite a few things i enjoy and that make life worth living besides being helpful, but that was once all i had and to this day it's still very important to me.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 11:55:20 PM
At 2/10/2013 7:29:08 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Im not sure if you get the joke, but it is an interesting one. Deep Thought, being a computer, uses Ascii. 42 translates from decimal into an asterix using Ascii. An asterix, when using search functions in computers, is a way of signifying any option. So if I search w*.exe It would return all executable files starting with w. So to a computer, an asterix, which can be translated into 42, is technically the answer to everything because it refers to everything. And that is the long explanation of why that joke is hilarious.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 11:56:31 PM
My meaning of life, is to live.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 4:40:04 PM
To make everyone else's life slightly better in some way.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
alfo149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 11:06:01 PM
I think the meaning of life is just that in of itself. To live. However you live is how you do. No restrictions but that of the mind itself. Nothing to hold you back but that of the physical realm. It's truly wonderful.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 11:15:53 PM

'Nihilists haven't got one'.
That's not true. I'm a moral and existential nihilist but my life has plenty of meaning.
The meaning of my life is to ensure that my fiance, my two children and myself are all happy, healthy and cared for. I just don't think these things are inherently or objectively the right thing to do. They're just my personal preference.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:16:23 AM
At 2/10/2013 7:40:19 PM, thett3 wrote:
It's whatever you want it to be. We each assign independent and subjective value to our life

^

Beat me to it.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 12:53:50 PM

The purpose of the human life form is the re-awakening of the souls original relationship with God.
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 1:31:16 PM
At 2/13/2013 12:53:50 PM, johnlubba wrote:

The purpose of the human life form is the re-awakening of the souls original relationship with God.

You guys are all f*cking stupid. The meaning of life is found here:
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 1:32:35 PM
At 2/13/2013 1:31:16 PM, Heineken wrote:

meaning =/= definition.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 1:35:04 PM
At 2/13/2013 1:32:35 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:

meaning =/= definition.

the action or process of stating the meaning of a word or word group
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:54:45 AM
At 2/13/2013 1:35:04 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 1:32:35 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:

meaning =/= definition.

the action or process of stating the meaning of a word or word group

We all know what the poster meant, except you.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 6:44:12 AM
At 2/11/2013 4:40:04 PM, Nidhogg wrote:
To make everyone else's life significantly worse in some way.

fix'd
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 12:44:19 PM
Life is what you make of it, regardless of how badly or good you have been treated in the past by other people. No one cares if you succeed or fail except you, not even your dear momma. As you will eventually wear her out too with your endless excuses for failure if in fact that is the road you take. You are in the end on your own. All decisions that you make all have consequences and what you decide to make of your life will directly correlate to the number of people that will help you achieve goals or the number of people who couldn't give a rats behind about you or your lot in life. (Source) experience and wisdom that comes with age.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 4:43:18 PM

I believe you must make a purpose for your life.
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 7:48:37 PM
I would contend that there is none if atheism is true and if atheism is not true, then I would contend that the meaning of life, given our being endowed with rational faculties, is to know God.
Abraham28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 10:57:40 AM

Is there really any purpose to life? I am not sure and I say this with a heavy heart because it would be great to believe that there is, many things would be a easier and our troubles would be for some good reason.

I think that there is no specific purpose to life. Depending on how you were raised you seek in pursuing this mystery differently based upon your needs and ocumulated desires from your childhood. Our purpose in life lies neither in school, college, job, art, sociol presentations, nor any of the such similar illusions that we are selves have recently invented.

This is a scary thought and I am not sure that I have yet become ocustumed to it either. But we must make a purpose for ourselves, somehow in death we must find life. Somehow we must creat a meaning and see to it that we pursue it as if it was god sent, even when the gods fail us, we must be inspiring and unbound gods.. for no reason, from no obligation, for no one, and under no pressure.. willingly we must pursue the meaning that is within us, without defining it or blaspheming against are selves with words.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 11:01:18 AM
At 2/16/2013 7:48:37 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
I would contend that there is none if atheism is true and if atheism is not true, then I would contend that the meaning of life, given our being endowed with rational faculties, is to know God.

That is pure idiocy.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 11:02:25 AM

Ha Ha, your meaning of life could be non-existent!