Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Age Is Just a Number

ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

Why is age such a big deal?
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:20:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Consent.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:22:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:20:45 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Consent.

This.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:24:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Age has a very weak correlation with consent, and certainly no causation. Granny is just as likely to say no to your proposition as your local six-year old, probably more so and with a negligible difference in likelihood with your local 40 year old (assuming all are same gender and same legal situation), and as rational animals they are both able to let their yeas be their yeas and their nays be their nays.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:27:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:24:11 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Age has a very weak correlation with consent, and certainly no causation. Granny is just as likely to say no to your proposition as your local six-year old, probably more so and with a negligible difference in likelihood with your local 40 year old (assuming all are same gender and same legal situation), and as rational animals they are both able to let their yeas be their yeas and their nays be their nays.

Agree somewhat to this. People at the age of 12 and under have a greater tendency to listen to adults though since they really are quite unintelligent and weak below that age. There's significant changes in brain chemistry based on your age, although how much that matters in consent is another aspect.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:53:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:27:36 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:24:11 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Age has a very weak correlation with consent, and certainly no causation. Granny is just as likely to say no to your proposition as your local six-year old, probably more so and with a negligible difference in likelihood with your local 40 year old (assuming all are same gender and same legal situation), and as rational animals they are both able to let their yeas be their yeas and their nays be their nays.

Agree somewhat to this. People at the age of 12 and under have a greater tendency to listen to adults though
The thing they are "listening to" is a question. "Do you want to (do sex act)?"

I'd heartily prefer heightened scrutiny of the questions a six year old was asked and what they answered to the law arbitrarily rendering them subhumans without their consent.

Anyway, local six year old is probably more likely to say no to your out-of-the-blue question than local 40 year old (assuming you aren't threatening force, and especially if the sex act is penetrative/)

since they really are quite unintelligent and weak below that age.
If "intelligent" means anything like "brain processing power" as opposed to "knowledge" then this is very very false.
Weak hardly matters, either you're under the threat of force or you're not. If you are, it's not consent even if you did stand a chance in a fight.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:57:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

Why is age such a big deal?

Generally, it's because western society tends to be over-inclusive when it comes to roping off what section of the populus is reproductively "out of bonds" and without some sort of objective "maturity test" the best measure is some arbitrary age cut off. Usually "coming of age" ceremonies take place on a single birthday (e.g. Bar Mitzvah, 16 year old mexican birthday thing, reaching the age of being able to go to war/vote/drive a car).

You might as well ask why a 16 year old who is more informed than a 20 year old shouldn't be able to vote.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 2:58:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

Why is age such a big deal?

There are scientific studies that objectively confirm what society has figured out over time. The brain mechanism that allows people to make decisions based upon the likely outcome of their actions is not developed in young people. Young people tend to ignore the long term consequences of their actions, and there are endless examples of that happening, in everything from unprotected sex to driving under the influence.

The brain mechanisms do not fully develop until the early 20s. The problem is then how much of an age barrier should be presented for what purposes. That's arguable, but there is no valid argument that age is irrelevant.

Age is not the only relevant criteria. Society has people with all sorts of deficiencies. We lock up convicted felons, old people are sometimes forced to take extra driving tests, people can be judged mentally incompetent, and we require government licensing for various activities (driving, flying a plane, being a physician,etc.). The argument that there are incompetent people given privileges that they shouldn't have is not an argument for given more people undo privileges; it's an argument for taking away undeserved privileges.

Not all young people are alike, so it's legitimate to be concerned with cases where behavior is responsible despite age. Possibilities for that include, in general, parental consent or some kind of licensing test. I think it's possible to get a pilot's license at age 14. I'm not sure tests would work for relationships, but anything is possible.
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 3:05:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

Why is age such a big deal?

....because jail is a big deal. Then again...if age is just a number, so is the jail sentence.

Personally, I don't mind though. I think walking door to door, announcing my presence as a registered sex offender, is a great way to meet new people.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 3:05:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The issue with consent, as far as I see it, is that a child cannot understand what it is they are consenting to. And it can have seriously harmful psychological effects on them when they are older. My 21 year old brother dated a 16 year old. That was weird. But if she were 10, then she wouldn't understand the actions she was consenting to.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 3:06:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:58:01 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

Why is age such a big deal?

There are scientific studies that objectively confirm what society has figured out over time. The brain mechanism that allows people to make decisions based upon the likely outcome of their actions is not developed in young people. Young people tend to ignore the long term consequences of their actions, and there are endless examples of that happening, in everything from unprotected sex to driving under the influence.

The brain mechanisms do not fully develop until the early 20s. The problem is then how much of an age barrier should be presented for what purposes. That's arguable, but there is no valid argument that age is irrelevant.

Age is not the only relevant criteria. Society has people with all sorts of deficiencies. We lock up convicted felons, old people are sometimes forced to take extra driving tests, people can be judged mentally incompetent, and we require government licensing for various activities (driving, flying a plane, being a physician,etc.). The argument that there are incompetent people given privileges that they shouldn't have is not an argument for given more people undo privileges; it's an argument for taking away undeserved privileges.

Not all young people are alike, so it's legitimate to be concerned with cases where behavior is responsible despite age. Possibilities for that include, in general, parental consent or some kind of licensing test. I think it's possible to get a pilot's license at age 14. I'm not sure tests would work for relationships, but anything is possible.

Abridged version:

Impulse control > 20
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 3:14:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 3:06:57 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:58:01 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

Why is age such a big deal?

There are scientific studies that objectively confirm what society has figured out over time. The brain mechanism that allows people to make decisions based upon the likely outcome of their actions is not developed in young people. Young people tend to ignore the long term consequences of their actions, and there are endless examples of that happening, in everything from unprotected sex to driving under the influence.

The brain mechanisms do not fully develop until the early 20s. The problem is then how much of an age barrier should be presented for what purposes. That's arguable, but there is no valid argument that age is irrelevant.

Age is not the only relevant criteria. Society has people with all sorts of deficiencies. We lock up convicted felons, old people are sometimes forced to take extra driving tests, people can be judged mentally incompetent, and we require government licensing for various activities (driving, flying a plane, being a physician,etc.). The argument that there are incompetent people given privileges that they shouldn't have is not an argument for given more people undo privileges; it's an argument for taking away undeserved privileges.

Not all young people are alike, so it's legitimate to be concerned with cases where behavior is responsible despite age. Possibilities for that include, in general, parental consent or some kind of licensing test. I think it's possible to get a pilot's license at age 14. I'm not sure tests would work for relationships, but anything is possible.

Abridged version:

Impulse control > 20


We allow kids under 20 to hold millions of dollars worth of weaponary while killing other humans beings.

But THANK G-D THEY AREN'T F*CKING!
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 3:51:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 3:06:57 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:58:01 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

Why is age such a big deal?

There are scientific studies that objectively confirm what society has figured out over time. The brain mechanism that allows people to make decisions based upon the likely outcome of their actions is not developed in young people. Young people tend to ignore the long term consequences of their actions, and there are endless examples of that happening, in everything from unprotected sex to driving under the influence.

The brain mechanisms do not fully develop until the early 20s. The problem is then how much of an age barrier should be presented for what purposes. That's arguable, but there is no valid argument that age is irrelevant.

Age is not the only relevant criteria. Society has people with all sorts of deficiencies. We lock up convicted felons, old people are sometimes forced to take extra driving tests, people can be judged mentally incompetent, and we require government licensing for various activities (driving, flying a plane, being a physician,etc.). The argument that there are incompetent people given privileges that they shouldn't have is not an argument for given more people undo privileges; it's an argument for taking away undeserved privileges.

Not all young people are alike, so it's legitimate to be concerned with cases where behavior is responsible despite age. Possibilities for that include, in general, parental consent or some kind of licensing test. I think it's possible to get a pilot's license at age 14. I'm not sure tests would work for relationships, but anything is possible.

Abridged version:

Impulse control > 20


Dating doesn't equal sex... sheesh.
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 3:55:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why is age such a big deal?

Ethical boundaries and moral values.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 3:59:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 3:55:18 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why is age such a big deal?

Ethical boundaries and moral values.

Good lord this thread has so many non-answers.

My point: two, logically and cognitively developed people are compatible, they are both consenting and fully aware of their actions. They are both able to make full decisions for themselves. They are dating. Talk about decision making and cognitive development aside - we are going to assume they are at their maximum - what's the big deal with age?

Everyone is focusing on the under age part. What about a 45 year old marrying a 20 year old? They're both of age and everything.

That's the point I was trying to get at before it got muddled.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 4:04:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 3:59:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/13/2013 3:55:18 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why is age such a big deal?

Ethical boundaries and moral values.

Good lord this thread has so many non-answers.

My point: two, logically and cognitively developed people are compatible, they are both consenting and fully aware of their actions. They are both able to make full decisions for themselves. They are dating. Talk about decision making and cognitive development aside - we are going to assume they are at their maximum - what's the big deal with age?

Everyone is focusing on the under age part. What about a 45 year old marrying a 20 year old? They're both of age and everything.

That's the point I was trying to get at before it got muddled.
You did a bad job expressing it. 10 is an age just like 45 is an age.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 4:09:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 4:04:11 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 2/13/2013 3:59:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/13/2013 3:55:18 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why is age such a big deal?

Ethical boundaries and moral values.

Good lord this thread has so many non-answers.

My point: two, logically and cognitively developed people are compatible, they are both consenting and fully aware of their actions. They are both able to make full decisions for themselves. They are dating. Talk about decision making and cognitive development aside - we are going to assume they are at their maximum - what's the big deal with age?

Everyone is focusing on the under age part. What about a 45 year old marrying a 20 year old? They're both of age and everything.

That's the point I was trying to get at before it got muddled.
You did a bad job expressing it. 10 is an age just like 45 is an age.

Well obviously I understand children can't handle relationships.

Apparently you all think I didn't know that.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 4:19:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 4:09:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/13/2013 4:04:11 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 2/13/2013 3:59:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/13/2013 3:55:18 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Why is age such a big deal?

Ethical boundaries and moral values.

Good lord this thread has so many non-answers.

My point: two, logically and cognitively developed people are compatible, they are both consenting and fully aware of their actions. They are both able to make full decisions for themselves. They are dating. Talk about decision making and cognitive development aside - we are going to assume they are at their maximum - what's the big deal with age?

Everyone is focusing on the under age part. What about a 45 year old marrying a 20 year old? They're both of age and everything.

That's the point I was trying to get at before it got muddled.
You did a bad job expressing it. 10 is an age just like 45 is an age.

Well obviously I understand children can't handle relationships.

Apparently you all think I didn't know that.

"But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing."
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 4:24:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:27:36 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:24:11 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Age has a very weak correlation with consent, and certainly no causation. Granny is just as likely to say no to your proposition as your local six-year old, probably more so and with a negligible difference in likelihood with your local 40 year old (assuming all are same gender and same legal situation), and as rational animals they are both able to let their yeas be their yeas and their nays be their nays.

Agree somewhat to this. People at the age of 12 and under have a greater tendency to listen to adults though since they really are quite unintelligent and weak below that age. There's significant changes in brain chemistry based on your age, although how much that matters in consent is another aspect.

5 and 6 year olds will believe pretty much anything you tell them. I would need to see evidence for the claim that consent has no correlation with age. Regardless, I can't be imagine it would be difficult to woo a 6 year old given my experience. Give her a box of candy and you'd earn her undying affection.
Bull_Diesel
Posts: 1,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 4:36:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

It has an enormous amount to do with the maturity of the girl her age and you at your age.

The 3 year difference doesn't make almost any difference at all in a couple of years, if you're 23 dating a 26 year old, it's not really weird, if you're 33 dating a 36 year old it's not even remotely weird. For you to be dating a 16 year old while you're in college is just strange and honestly even when I was in highschool I had to wonder what the hell is wrong with you that you can't date the hot chicks your own age and you'd rather be with some little girl. That's just weird as hell man.

The age is just a number thing works on a sliding curve. If you're 16 dating a 13 year old somebody needs to beat the hell out of you until your math works a little differently

Why is age such a big deal?
Bull_Diesel
Posts: 1,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 4:37:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

Why is age such a big deal?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 5:43:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

Why is age such a big deal?

Because age is our best indicator of physical and psychological maturity, period.
Now, I've argued this before in similar themed threads; a simple comparison of ages should not be the be all and end all of whether a relationship is legitimately consensual, but it is a fair indicator.
Let me elaborate...
You have to factor into the equation puberty. I, and most of the world, are of the opinion that pre-pubescent children should not be involved in sexual relationships period. I base this opinion on the observation that said children simply cannot be psychologically mature enough to understand the consequences. Furthermore, they are objectively not physically mature enough.
Once you get to pubescent teenagers, things complicate. A twelve year old girl could be as physically mature as a seventeen year old girl, depending on her diet, genetics and those sort of factors. Likewise, a thirteen year old boy could be as psychologically mature as a twenty year old.
Because of this, it's really something that has to be looked at on a case by case basis. You dating a girl three years younger than you is border-line. If the two people dating are within three years of each other up to the age of either being seventeen, it's something that I'd have to consider the people involved with. You could very well be taking advantage of a psychologically immature teenager and I'm sure you can recognise that, although no doubt it's not the case. The larger the gap gets when either person in the relationship is under seventeen, the more closely I'd have to look at it. It's not completely unreasonable to have a twenty year old date a fifteen year old and have them on equal or near equal grounds in terms of maturity. It's when you have thirty year olds dating high school girls that you start to have a problem in my opinion.

The TL;DR of this is that age is NOT just a number. It's an important preliminary indicator of the maturity of individual parties.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 5:53:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 4:37:25 PM, Bull_Diesel wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

Why is age such a big deal?


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com...

LOL

Bro.... bro..... you live in florida, right?

http://i1137.photobucket.com...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
YYW
Posts: 36,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:01:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 5:43:53 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

Why is age such a big deal?

Because age is our best indicator of physical and psychological maturity, period.
Now, I've argued this before in similar themed threads; a simple comparison of ages should not be the be all and end all of whether a relationship is legitimately consensual, but it is a fair indicator.

This.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 8:54:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My college roommate (total douche, different story) was also dating a high schooler and also super touchy about the subject. Coincidentally, he also wasn't having any sex, so I understand your frustration. Not to be a spoiler, but that relationship eventually ended horribly, hilariously, and predictably, as they do.

I digress; at the end of the day, as long as you aren't doing anything illegal, you shouldn't feel obligated to explain your relationship to anyone. Yes, everything everyone said about maturity differences is true and sure, there is a huge social stigma around what you're doing, but why stand in the way of true love?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 9:33:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 6:01:06 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 5:43:53 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

Why is age such a big deal?

Because age is our best indicator of physical and psychological maturity, period.
Now, I've argued this before in similar themed threads; a simple comparison of ages should not be the be all and end all of whether a relationship is legitimately consensual, but it is a fair indicator.

This.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 11:41:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

Why is age such a big deal?

The issue here is the age of consent. In America, the age of consent is 18, generally. This means that one cannot enter into a contract without the consent of their guardian. Children cannot work on movies, a teen cannot own property, and a minor cannot enter into a verbal contract to engage in sexual activity (sex without consent is rape, and consent cannot be given).

Might I add: stop being so ignorant.
My work here is, finally, done.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 12:13:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 4:37:25 PM, Bull_Diesel wrote:
At 2/13/2013 2:19:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've been thinking about this and our society has strict age taboos on dating between certain people.

But age is an arbitrary number applied to a sense of time which really means nothing. I bring this up because I'm a college freshman (19) who is now dating a high school junior (16). But I don't think about age at all, it means nothing and has no bearing on our feelings for each other or our compatibility.

Why is age such a big deal?


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com...

Yeah, but he's only 19.

The age of consent in Florida is 18, but close in age exemptions exist. By law, the exception permits a person 23 years of age or younger to engage in legal sexual activity with a minor aged 16 or 17.

794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.-- (1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose Florida code, Title XLVI, Chapter 794

Just saying. Not that he should go do anything.