Jump to topic:

Do you know your IQ?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 5:20:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was having a discussion today with a friend of mine over lunch and the subject of IQs came up. We both know ours (because we both went to the same school which required childhood testing) and because of our interest in the subject, we later were both tested by psychologists as adults -though not at the same time, we were given the same test in the same manor.

So my question to DDO is this: Do you know your IQ and if so how were you tested (specifically, what scale/test were you given)?

One other friend of mine who joined us said that her psychology as an undergraduate tested as a research measure, and she found out her's that way.

I don't want you to post the scores (because even if we are honest, who is to say that others will believe -and even if they did, IQ scores don't matter in the context of DDO), but I am curious if you know and how you came to know.

We postulated over Panini sandwiches and salads that most people probably have never even thought to take an IQ test. We also agreed that IQ tests raise poignant ethical questions. I'd be interested in all of your thoughts on this subject.

Again, please don't post your scores -even if you do know them. I'm just interested in if you have ever pursued the question yourself.
Tsar of DDO
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 5:42:16 PM
I had mine tested when I was in highschool. Doctor said the test came back negative. Dodged a real bullet.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 5:45:04 PM
At 2/19/2013 5:42:16 PM, Heineken wrote:
I had mine tested when I was in highschool. Doctor said the test came back negative. Dodged a real bullet.

lol fair enough.

Did you remember taking the ASVAB?
Tsar of DDO
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 5:56:30 PM

Haha, win.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 5:57:28 PM
At 2/19/2013 5:45:04 PM, YYW wrote:

lol fair enough.

Yea...easy test. Took it twice. Once for Air Force, once for Navy.
Vidi, vici, veni.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 5:59:00 PM
I've only taken online tests. The lowest was 130 and the highest was 160.

inb4 this thread is about how IQ tests don't accurately represent intelligence in anyway. Which they don't.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 7:14:40 PM
I know it because my mom had me tested when I was in kindergarten. I don't know which measure was used, and until I was 17 (I think it was 17 anyway) she wouldn't even tell me the score. Like you mentioned, there are a lot of ethical dilemmas involved with tests like this. I haven't had another test done since, because of them. I'm curious, sure, but not that curious and I'd almost rather not have that kind of information.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 7:19:47 PM
At 2/19/2013 5:59:00 PM, FREEDO wrote:

inb4 this thread is about how IQ tests don't accurately represent intelligence in anyway. Which they don't.

Man oh man ain't that the truth.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 7:22:41 PM

Well, those are some really screwy IQ tests then. There shouldn't be such a discrepancy where there's a 2 standard deviation difference.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 11:58:52 PM
At 2/19/2013 7:22:41 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Well, those are some really screwy IQ tests then. There shouldn't be such a discrepancy where there's a 2 standard deviation difference.

indeed.
Tsar of DDO
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 12:02:03 AM

Or "On a good day I'm 160."

As for me, don't know and don't care. I don't care to have my intelligence assigned a number.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:17:08 AM
At 2/19/2013 7:14:40 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I know it because my mom had me tested when I was in kindergarten. I don't know which measure was used, and until I was 17 (I think it was 17 anyway) she wouldn't even tell me the score. Like you mentioned, there are a lot of ethical dilemmas involved with tests like this. I haven't had another test done since, because of them. I'm curious, sure, but not that curious and I'd almost rather not have that kind of information.

Your IQ test measures you against your peers so a test taken when you were a child is useless now.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:18:11 AM
At 2/20/2013 12:02:03 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Or "On a good day I'm 160."

As for me, don't know and don't care. I don't care to have my intelligence assigned a number.

I don't put much trust in the credibility of online tests either... I did at one point take them in front of friends to show off, but I was, then, a less mature version of myself.

We (various friends of mine in high school) also used to make "gentlemanly wagers" (to the extent that an adolescent can be a gentlemen) on who could score the highest on nay given test.

Yes, I realize how weird that is.

Fun times.
Tsar of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:20:14 AM

So you scored above Einstein's IQ - actually even with Hawking. This is why Internet IQ tests are a complete waste of time.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:42:54 AM
At 2/20/2013 1:20:14 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

So you scored above Einstein's IQ - actually even with Hawking. This is why Internet IQ tests are a complete waste of time.

Or FREEDO is the preeminent genius of our time. I remain open to this possibility.
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 2:54:23 AM
I don't, actually. If I'm going to take a self-assessment test these days, I'm more interested in taking one related to my personality. That feels more tangible and useful to me.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:14:35 AM
At 2/20/2013 2:54:23 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I don't, actually. If I'm going to take a self-assessment test these days, I'm more interested in taking one related to my personality. That feels more tangible and useful to me.

There was an organization I wanted to be a member of, which was why I took it.
Tsar of DDO
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 8:04:09 AM
Anyone ever taken an EQ test? I took one for my psych class last semester.
Vidi, vici, veni.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 8:28:25 AM
At 2/20/2013 8:04:09 AM, Heineken wrote:
Anyone ever taken an EQ test? I took one for my psych class last semester.

I have taken something that tests emotional recognition, but it was a body language-based.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 12:27:09 PM
I don't want to know. Like Kinesis said, if it's lower than my expectations I'll be sad. But if it's higher I'll be a more pompus douche than ever so....
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:04:05 PM
I did when I was younger. I used to brag about it so much. I think it's dropped significantly by now, though.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:59:46 PM
Being the egomaniac that I am, I've taken lots of IQ tests on line. But I've never taken an official one. I question the reliability of the on line tests for a number of reasons.

First, because I've had a wide range of results. I've gotten anywhere from 90 to 150. The score that comes up most often is always around 120, though.

Second, because I can see how your ability to answer the question can be the direct result of your present education. For example, if you study logic and critical thinking, a lot of the questions are much easier to answer. I remember during my second semester of calculus in college, my IQ score went up because we were doings series and sequence calculus, and I learned how to create formulas from a sequence, which made it easier to answer those questions where they give you a series of numbers, and you have to find the missing number. Now that I've forgotten how to do that, or I'm out of practice, my IQ score has come back down.

I read a book last year called Emotional Intelligence that argued that EQ is a better predictor of life success than IQ. I'm fairly convinced that's true, not just because of the arguments in the book, but because of personal experience. I'm sure I have a very low EQ, but my IQ is probably above average. Life has been a bigger struggle for me than most of the people I know because of my low EQ. You need good social skills to find jobs, have good relationships, etc. I'm a social moron. I have social anxiety, I'm weird, I don't pick up on social cues that other people seem to take for granted, etc.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 2:16:13 PM
My sister is studying to get her Psy D in clinical psychology (she gets it this May! woot!) and she gave me an official IQ test a couple years ago. It took me about 3 - 4 hours to complete. I got 128.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 2:18:20 PM
At 2/20/2013 2:16:13 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
My sister is studying to get her Psy D in clinical psychology (she gets it this May! woot!) and she gave me an official IQ test a couple years ago. It took me about 3 - 4 hours to complete. I got 128.

Oh wait...you said not to post the scores. My bad. Didn't read.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:14:33 PM
I took an IQ test when I was in middle school. What puzzles me is that even though people claim not to care about IQ scores, they are interested in them and act surprised when people with high IQs do stupid things (I was guilty of this myself). You're not really being honest about it until you genuinely stop caring about what your IQ is, as I have.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:29:37 PM
And I'm going to break the rules here, because I don't respect IQ- mine was 126. The stupidity of the IQ test is such that the score is determined by how much "public school" material you have learned- during different periods of my life my IQ score would have undoubtedly jumped up and down depending on how many math courses I was taking at the time (I always forgot them). It's just a test to see how well a student adapts to the school's curriculum, so yeah, there is a correlation between it and success. Sadly, certain people continue to cite those studies in a bizarre effort to prove that IQ tests tap into some intrinsic brain superpower that makes people do better than others (this one proves my point: http://www.google.com...).

There are also inevitably people who happen to have the perfect mental capacity to excel at IQ tests and often score in the 200s or 300s. This leaves the incompetent scientists scratching their heads as to why they aren't all geniuses or billionaires.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:35:33 PM
iqtest.com said mine was 130, but I don't know how valid it is. I've always had problems with reading, so I don't know.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 4:41:17 PM
At 2/19/2013 5:45:04 PM, YYW wrote:

lol fair enough.

I SCORED THE HIGHEST ON THE ASVAB OUT OF MY SOPHOMORE CLASS!

Hey, I'm not joining the military, so what else is my score useful for besides bragging? I once told a college I was considering attending and they were like yea whatever we don't care :|
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...