Jump to topic:

How do you write so well?

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 6:59:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
OK, I'm talking about three members of this site: Cody, YYW, and charleslb. Each one is extremely literate and seems to know precisely the right words in order to make their points understood while using sesquipedalian rhetoric just as well (charleslb, in my estimation, is the best, and also the best at disguising the fact that he rarely has much of a point). Some of their posts are better in this regard than some peer-reviewed articles written by professors I've looked at. How do they do it? I consider myself to be very well spoken online, but even if you gave me the entire day to type up a post I couldn't make it sound quite like they do. So, as a writer, I'm just curious as to how they got that way, and if this is a learned trait or something they've always had (in which case I'm in luck, because I was always a speed-reader growing up).
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:31:04 PM
Cocaine's a hell of a drug.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:35:43 PM
At 2/24/2013 7:34:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I assume they read a lot of books. They're also really smart.

I read a lot of books (was reading college level books in fifth grade). "Smart" is an empty term.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:37:12 PM
At 2/24/2013 7:35:43 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I read a lot of books (was reading college level books in fifth grade). "Smart" is an empty term.

How many books do you read in a year? A lot of the smart people I met or that are on DDO read about a book a week.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:39:34 PM
At 2/24/2013 6:59:50 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
OK, I'm talking about three members of this site: Cody, YYW, and charleslb. Each one is extremely literate and seems to know precisely the right words in order to make their points understood while using sesquipedalian rhetoric just as well (charleslb, in my estimation, is the best, and also the best at disguising the fact that he rarely has much of a point). Some of their posts are better in this regard than some peer-reviewed articles written by professors I've looked at. How do they do it? I consider myself to be very well spoken online, but even if you gave me the entire day to type up a post I couldn't make it sound quite like they do. So, as a writer, I'm just curious as to how they got that way, and if this is a learned trait or something they've always had (in which case I'm in luck, because I was always a speed-reader growing up).

You definitely don't want to write like charleslb. Trust me, when professors or educated people see that they writing the first thing they think is that you're full of yourself. You need to stress substance of over style. Professors much prefer a concise, intellectually vigorous style that avoids jargon whenever possible.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:40:05 PM
At 2/24/2013 7:37:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:

How many books do you read in a year? A lot of the smart people I met or that are on DDO read about a book a week.

I've been reading a few books a week since I was 8. Being well read doesn't mean you can write. In my opinion, it's a talent. And not everybody has that potential.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:46:05 PM
At 2/24/2013 7:39:34 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

You definitely don't want to write like charleslb. Trust me, when professors or educated people see that they writing the first thing they think is that you're full of yourself. You need to stress substance of over style. Professors much prefer a concise, intellectually vigorous style that avoids jargon whenever possible.

Agreed. Verbosity won't get you far. I think being concise and substantive is more valued in academia which I assume is where you want to be heading fairly soon.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:47:11 PM
At 2/24/2013 7:40:05 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 2/24/2013 7:37:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I've been reading a few books a week since I was 8. Being well read doesn't mean you can write. In my opinion, it's a talent. And not everybody has that potential.

That's true as well. I use smart as one of the two criteria though. So reading a lot of books doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good writer, but not reading any books means you won't be a good writer.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:51:39 PM
There's also a really subjective aspect of what constitutes good writing, especially If you consider who your audience would be. I don't think cody_franklin's writing would make it into the newspaper, even though I'd prefer his writings over the newspaper or news articles.

I really hate the writing style of newspapers, even though the masses seem to enjoy it. There's too much story telling and not enough factually, substantiated information. They create these ridiculous narratives that have very little basis on reality.
Open borders debate:
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:53:18 PM
At 2/24/2013 7:51:39 PM, darkkermit wrote:
There's also a really subjective aspect of what constitutes good writing, especially If you consider who your audience would be. I don't think cody_franklin's writing would make it into the newspaper, even though I'd prefer his writings over the newspaper or news articles.

I really hate the writing style of newspapers, even though the masses seem to enjoy it. There's too much story telling and not enough factually, substantiated information. They create these ridiculous narratives that have very little basis on reality.

^ this. It always bothers me when news stories dont cite sources. I get that sometimes they cant (like "this building just blew up and we're the first on the scene") but they definitely should more often
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:56:51 PM

I could be wrong, but I think man-is-good's writing is objectively good. Though I think this is more an exception then a rule. I get what you're saying.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:01:22 PM
At 2/24/2013 7:46:05 PM, Oryus wrote:

Agreed. Verbosity won't get you far. I think being concise and substantive is more valued in academia which I assume is where you want to be heading fairly soon.

This.

I know that I can be on the verbose side, and in all fairness I don't hardly ever edit anything I write on here. But the best and only way to improve one's writing is to write consistently, and to read a lot. Reading good prose helps too. I think this is probably the best place to start.

http://www.amazon.com...

Ward Farnsworth is a professor of law at Boston College, and the man is absolutely brilliant. He and some of his students put this together, and its perhaps the best place for anyone who wants to improve their writing to begin.

Three things I would suggest though, beyond CER:

(1) Practice writing thesis-driven essays. Short, precise works with premises narrowly tailored to prove conclusions.
(2) Read good prose, classical literature and newspapers.
(3) Be direct, and don't talk around yourself. Write all and only what you need to prove your point.

And the basics too... active rather than passive voice, subject-verb agreement, etc. These are imperative.
Tsar of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:02:48 PM
At 2/24/2013 7:56:51 PM, muzebreak wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think man-is-good's writing is objectively good. Though I think this is more an exception then a rule. I get what you're saying.

Stating that you like his writing does not mean his writing is objectively good. That's why I said its important who your audience is, since different people prefer different writing styles. Whether a writing style is good or not is subjective.
Open borders debate:
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:07:25 PM
At 2/24/2013 8:01:22 PM, YYW wrote:

This.

I know that I can be on the verbose side, and in all fairness I don't hardly ever edit anything I write on here. But the best and only way to improve one's writing is to write consistently, and to read a lot. Reading good prose helps too. I think this is probably the best place to start.

Ward Farnsworth is a professor of law at Boston College, and the man is absolutely brilliant. He and some of his students put this together, and its perhaps the best place for anyone who wants to improve their writing to begin.

(1) Practice writing thesis-driven essays. Short, precise works with premises narrowly tailored to prove conclusions.
(3) Be direct, and don't talk around yourself. Write all and only what you need to prove your point.

And the basics too... active rather than passive voice, subject-verb agreement, etc. These are imperative.

And btw... I have no idea how many books I have read (probably no less than 400-500). I just read what interests me... that could mean Dickens or Sherlock Holmes novels, Nietzsche's ramblings or Richard Posner's latest treatise on legal pragmatism. I did notice that my writing style changed after I read a all of Foucault's major works for a class I was in (which I have tried to restrain), but the prose you read affects the way you write. In general, also, philosophers (or philosophical writings) are terrible models to follow. You want to write things that make sense, that are accessible, that people can follow. The object of good writing cannot be to confuse your reader.
Tsar of DDO
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:13:36 PM
At 2/24/2013 8:07:25 PM, YYW wrote:

This.

And btw... I have no idea how many books I have read (probably no less than 400-500). I just read what interests me... that could mean Dickens or Sherlock Holmes novels, Nietzsche's ramblings or Richard Posner's latest treatise on legal pragmatism. I did notice that my writing style changed after I read a all of Foucault's major works for a class I was in (which I have tried to restrain), but the prose you read affects the way you write. In general, also, philosophers (or philosophical writings) are terrible models to follow. You want to write things that make sense, that are accessible, that people can follow. The object of good writing cannot be to confuse your reader.

Werd. My name is wrichcirw, and I approve this message. :)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:15:28 PM
At 2/24/2013 7:47:11 PM, darkkermit wrote:

That's true as well. I use smart as one of the two criteria though. So reading a lot of books doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good writer, but not reading any books means you won't be a good writer.

I read what could be considered a lot and still I'm not a good writer so I understand this. Every essay I write for college just feels like I'm winging it even if I've read extra material or know the subject inside and out. It seems like it's half way between a learned skill and instinctual talent.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:35:39 PM
At 2/24/2013 8:15:28 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/24/2013 7:47:11 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I read what could be considered a lot and still I'm not a good writer so I understand this. Every essay I write for college just feels like I'm winging it even if I've read extra material or know the subject inside and out. It seems like it's half way between a learned skill and instinctual talent.

No freshman in college (I think you're a freshman, right?) is a good writer, largely because most freshmen come to college with all the experience they built in their high school english classes (lol), their AP history classes (could be good, depends on the teacher), and that's about it. High school teachers are terrible at teaching how to write, and this is why universities in America almost universally require an English 101 and 102 (or equivalent) to break that problem. For what it's worth though, you're a bright kid and that feeling of uncertainty will go away the more you write and the further you progress in college. It just takes time.
Tsar of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:36:53 PM

I won't, but I think it's fun. I really think that Cody has the most talent at delivering material, though. He gets his point across with just the right phrasing and thinks of wording I could never have while making it look entirely effortless. He's also a master of obfuscation and can write like charlie; just look at their conversation here: [http://www.debate.org...]
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:43:32 PM

This.

You mean... like on this website? ;)

I read a lot of Stephen King, and I can do extremely well on a story if I really obsess over it (my best work took about an hour per paragraph, unfortunately it got deleted later). I like to imagine I sound like him, although an outside reader I suspect would see that that isn't as true as I fancy.

Although I really lost patience with my story-writing debate with Lannan. Couldn't get into it whatsoever, and at the end I just typed up the thing as fast as I could.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:50:32 PM
At 2/24/2013 8:43:32 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

This.

Or you could start a blog... perhaps generate some ad revenue.

I read a lot of Stephen King, and I can do extremely well on a story if I really obsess over it (my best work took about an hour per paragraph, unfortunately it got deleted later). I like to imagine I sound like him, although an outside reader I suspect would see that that isn't as true as I fancy.

I'm a huge fan of The Green Mile, personally. My favorite Stephen King book ever written.

Although I really lost patience with my story-writing debate with Lannan. Couldn't get into it whatsoever, and at the end I just typed up the thing as fast as I could.

Not bad, and story writing bores me. I actually did write a manuscript that exceeded 400 pages in Word, but I decided it was quite awful. One friend of mine got half way through it, and I could tell it was too much. Fiction, needless to say, isn't my strong suit.
Tsar of DDO
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:52:21 PM
At 2/24/2013 8:02:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/24/2013 7:56:51 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Stating that you like his writing does not mean his writing is objectively good.

That was a joke.

That's why I said its important who your audience is, since different people prefer different writing styles. Whether a writing style is good or not is subjective.

I agree.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:01:59 PM
At 2/24/2013 8:50:32 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2013 8:43:32 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

This.

Or you could start a blog... perhaps generate some ad revenue.

I'm a huge fan of The Green Mile, personally. My favorite Stephen King book ever written.

Never read it, although my favorite is The Gunslinger (absolutely only the unrevised version). Have you read The Running Man, Shawshank Redemption, The Long Walk, Under the Dome, 11/22/63, The Shining, or Cell?

Not bad, and story writing bores me. I actually did write a manuscript that exceeded 400 pages in Word, but I decided it was quite awful. One friend of mine got half way through it, and I could tell it was too much. Fiction, needless to say, isn't my strong suit.

Read more fiction. That's the only way.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:06:02 PM
At 2/24/2013 9:01:59 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Never read it, although my favorite is The Gunslinger (absolutely only the unrevised version). Have you read The Running Man, Shawshank Redemption, The Long Walk, Under the Dome, 11/22/63, The Shining, or Cell?

I've never read Running Man, though Shawshank and Long Walk are both very good. Haven't read Under the Dome. The Shining is good, and I've never heard of Cell.

Read more fiction. That's the only way.

Indeed.
Tsar of DDO
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:09:10 PM
At 2/24/2013 8:52:21 PM, muzebreak wrote:
Stating that you like his writing does not mean his writing is objectively good.

That was a joke.
Dammit.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:33:34 PM
At 2/24/2013 9:09:10 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

That was a joke.
Dammit.

I like your writing<3

sorry for never messaging you back on fb btw I've barely been on recently
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:50:21 PM
At 2/24/2013 9:33:34 PM, thett3 wrote:

That was a joke.
Dammit.

I like your writing<3

O.o

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:54:13 PM
At 2/24/2013 9:50:21 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 2/24/2013 9:33:34 PM, thett3 wrote:

That was a joke.
Dammit.

I like your writing<3

O.o

It's fine, it's fine. O.o

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:02:46 PM
At 2/24/2013 9:06:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/24/2013 9:01:59 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I've never read Running Man, though Shawshank and Long Walk are both very good. Haven't read Under the Dome. The Shining is good, and I've never heard of Cell.

There's really nothing to compare with Cell in terms of pure horror. The Gunslinger deserves to be considered a true epic, though. In my opinion, it's better than any of the Harry Potter books. He writes very differently than how he usually does, but the final product has something in it nothing else (including his other works) can duplicate. It truly feels like an alien world. But beware of the "revised" version if you ever decide to read it (trust me on this).
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:04:10 PM

This this this.