Jump to topic:

Be stupid for a day?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 4:01:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be, for lack of a more politically correct phrase, stupid for a day?

I was having coffee with another friend of mine who made the passing comment that he "would love to just know what it was like to see the world through a duller person's eyes." I know it sound's patronizing, and to a degree it is, but have you ever thought about it? Would you want to do it, if you could return to your present level of intelligence 24 hrs later?
Tsar of DDO
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 4:05:00 PM
I would like one day to just act the way I want, tell people how I really feel, do what I want....and have no impacts on me for it. THAT would be awesome.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 4:14:18 PM
So basically live the ignorance is bliss lifestyle for a day? My brother does that with automobile maintenance, doesn't end well.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 4:20:58 PM
At 2/26/2013 4:01:16 PM, YYW wrote:
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be, for lack of a more politically correct phrase, stupid for a day?

For a day? I already am EVERY day! :D
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 4:26:22 PM
At 2/26/2013 4:05:00 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I would like one day to just act the way I want, tell people how I really feel, do what I want....and have no impacts on me for it. THAT would be awesome.

Every time I've worked in sales I have, at some point, due to encountering a certain type of customer, dreamt of doing something akin to this:

An example: while working in my high school years I once had a man ask me whether he could line his pond with shingles. The same man, on a later occasion, asked me whether I had to put water in the bag with his newly purchased Koi. I pity that fish for whatever horrors it was subjected to. To answer the OP, I would never want to exist in the same state as that unfortunate man. The very prospect is horrifying to me.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 4:32:39 PM
Shingle lined pond eh...
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 4:32:57 PM
At 2/26/2013 4:05:00 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I already do that for the most part. Depending on the person and the emotion, I do that. Assuming no religious, moral, or legal repercussions, there'd be several people dead. There'd also be a LOT of really fast travel to visit a large number of places and see a large number of things. Spirit bears, wild wolves, Alaska, deep inside Yellowstone, the list goes on.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 4:38:31 PM

I was having coffee with another friend of mine who made the passing comment that he "would love to just know what it was like to see the world through a duller person's eyes." I know it sound's patronizing, and to a degree it is, but have you ever thought about it? Would you want to do it, if you could return to your present level of intelligence 24 hrs later?

I do that all the time. Just don't think before you act. Ignore the little voice that says "you probably shouldn't do that. you may regret it." It's easier when you're exhausted.

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:25:43 PM
Sometimes I wonder, what if I'm actually really stupid and I say stupid things all the time and everyone knows but nobody says because they don't want to be mean to the stupid person and I'm too stupid to realise. :(
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:26:40 PM
At 2/26/2013 4:38:31 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

I do that all the time. Just don't think before you act. Ignore the little voice that says "you probably shouldn't do that. you may regret it." It's easier when you're exhausted.

3/4 of a bottle of vodka about does it for me.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:42:01 PM
At 2/26/2013 5:26:40 PM, Kinesis wrote:

I don't drink. Alcohol smells worse than my dog's sh!t in the middle of summer.

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:53:11 PM
At 2/26/2013 5:42:01 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

Drink girly drinks, they taste way better. Cocktails and WKD and stuff.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:56:05 PM
At 2/26/2013 5:53:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 2/26/2013 5:42:01 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

Drink girly drinks, they taste way better. Cocktails and WKD and stuff.

Nah. I'll wait until I'm 21 and can drink enough to acquire a taste for things like whiskey. D@mned if I'm going to drink girl drinks. Man drinks or no drinks.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:02:51 PM
I would personally love it.

Just act like a dumb person for a full day? Hell that sounds like fun. Except I can't, different social commitments would prevent me from starting tomorrow or anytime in the near future.

We once had a spirit day at my school, and you basically had to act/dress wacky. I for one wore my bath robe to school, slicked back my hair (looks pretty good actually), and wore the sunglasses that the Terminator war in T2. The day was so fun.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" ~ Wily Wonka (thanks Freedo for the quote)
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:05:32 PM
The thing about being stupid is that you aren't cognizant of the fact that you are stupid -- the ignorance derived from the source.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:10:12 PM
I imagine being exceptionally stupid is something akin to being drunk, just without the wobble-y-ness.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:23:46 PM
At 2/26/2013 6:02:51 PM, Contra wrote:

Just act like a dumb person for a full day? Hell that sounds like fun. Except I can't, different social commitments would prevent me from starting tomorrow or anytime in the near future.

We once had a spirit day at my school, and you basically had to act/dress wacky. I for one wore my bath robe to school, slicked back my hair (looks pretty good actually), and wore the sunglasses that the Terminator war in T2. The day was so fun.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" ~ Wily Wonka (thanks Freedo for the quote)

Did you mean spirit week? I had that in high school as well.

I liked the wacky dress up, but found all the other things about it incredibly lame. There's the stupid pep rally for our high school team that absolutely sucked and lost almost all their games. Not to mention I didn't really like most people on the football team anyhow. Then there were these stupid competitons that freshman, sophomores, junions, and seniors had to compete in to get some "spirit stick" which was a joke anywyas, since seniors always won. There was some lame performance each class would perform that would incorporate some sort of "spirit values" or something along those lines. The performances had to have some lame criteria.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:26:53 PM
At 2/26/2013 5:56:05 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Nah. I'll wait until I'm 21 and can drink enough to acquire a taste for things like whiskey. D@mned if I'm going to drink girl drinks. Man drinks or no drinks.

lol Americans and their 21 drinking age limit. You guys actually can't drink at your own wedding reception.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:28:48 PM

I tried a drink called 'The San Francisco' once without realising. I got flirtatious looks from quite a few guys .
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:30:21 PM
At 2/26/2013 6:28:48 PM, Kinesis wrote:

I tried a drink called 'The San Francisco' once without realising. I got flirtatious looks from quite a few guys .

http://thebentangle.files.wordpress.com...
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:35:14 PM
At 2/26/2013 6:30:21 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 2/26/2013 6:28:48 PM, Kinesis wrote:

http://thebentangle.files.wordpress.com...

(Ex)Pope benny is soo dreamy.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 7:42:08 PM
At 2/26/2013 6:23:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I liked the wacky dress up, but found all the other things about it incredibly lame. There's the stupid pep rally for our high school team that absolutely sucked and lost almost all their games. Not to mention I didn't really like most people on the football team anyhow. Then there were these stupid competitons that freshman, sophomores, junions, and seniors had to compete in to get some "spirit stick" which was a joke anywyas, since seniors always won. There was some lame performance each class would perform that would incorporate some sort of "spirit values" or something along those lines. The performances had to have some lame criteria.

Everything you said is true. It's like I said it, the pep rally, the bad spirit days, etc.

Our school's student council has 18 girls, and only one other guy and myself. Some of the spirit days that they thought of included crazy weather day, animal stripes/skin day. They actually passed a glitter day, but we had a snow day. Which was what I was hoping for.

Also our football team is not good.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 7:55:41 PM
At 2/26/2013 7:42:08 PM, Contra wrote:

Everything you said is true. It's like I said it, the pep rally, the bad spirit days, etc.

Our school's student council has 18 girls, and only one other guy and myself. Some of the spirit days that they thought of included crazy weather day, animal stripes/skin day. They actually passed a glitter day, but we had a snow day. Which was what I was hoping for.

You're in student council? Is that an elected official. Kind of surprised that you're in it, don't seem like the type, no offense.
Open borders debate:
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 4:22:13 AM
I have an irrational fear of ignorance. That's what drives me to read, study, analyse. I'd never want to be stupid for any amount of time. No one takes a stupid person seriously, anyway.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 10:54:00 AM
At 2/26/2013 7:55:41 PM, darkkermit wrote:

You're in student council? Is that an elected official. Kind of surprised that you're in it, don't seem like the type, no offense.

Yeah, I was elected to student council as a representative, second year.

Question though, when you say that you're surprised that I am in student council, why are you surprised? What stereotype did I break?

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 11:12:34 AM
At 2/27/2013 10:54:00 AM, Contra wrote:

Question though, when you say that you're surprised that I am in student council, why are you surprised? What stereotype did I break?

I'd expect as an active DDO that you are the introverted type and not popular in high school (note: popular means above average), while student council favors extroverts and its mainly a popularity contest on who wins.
Open borders debate:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 12:14:56 PM
At 2/27/2013 11:12:34 AM, darkkermit wrote:

I'd expect as an active DDO that you are the introverted type and not popular in high school (note: popular means above average), while student council favors extroverts and its mainly a popularity contest on who wins.

That's what I thought you would say.

In person, I am somewhat introverted (depending more on who I'm around), but I'm likable. My passion for political policy is obvious if we go into that area, and I manage to get people to vote for me.

And, the races are not usually overtly competitive. I try to get people to run with me, but most people are too apprehensive about it all.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 12:25:40 PM
At 2/27/2013 12:14:56 PM, Contra wrote:

In person, I am somewhat introverted (depending more on who I'm around), but I'm likable. My passion for political policy is obvious if we go into that area, and I manage to get people to vote for me.

And, the races are not usually overtly competitive. I try to get people to run with me, but most people are too apprehensive about it all.

fair enough. Although I don't necessarily agree that passion for political policy correlates to running for office or along those lines. I also don't necessarily agree that student council is the same as politics, its just running for an organization, in which case there are a lot of organizations with leaders that are elected.

I did model legislation in high school, however it was such a small organization that there wasn't really an election to become "representative" (even if there were too many people, it would likely be based on seniority rather then popularity).
Open borders debate:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 12:42:19 PM
At 2/27/2013 12:25:40 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/27/2013 12:14:56 PM, Contra wrote:

fair enough. Although I don't necessarily agree that passion for political policy correlates to running for office or along those lines. I also don't necessarily agree that student council is the same as politics, its just running for an organization, in which case there are a lot of organizations with leaders that are elected.

You are right. The reason I run is to represent my class. Politics are not involved, but being able to represent the interests of my class is fun (for example, I ask my fellow classmates what they think of a certain spirit day).

I did model legislation in high school, however it was such a small organization that there wasn't really an election to become "representative" (even if there were too many people, it would likely be based on seniority rather then popularity).

That's interesting. We have a model state gov't-like program in Michigan through the YMCA.

Extra curricular activities are fun to be a part of.