Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

real life debating

Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 1:32:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I'm in year 10 this year and the debating tournaments require 6-8 minutes of constant speaking without referring to any notes or reading a speech. My first debate is just tomorrow night and I'm starting to panic, my team is against Salesian College O_O

I firstly need some really good advice at this moment, I will be participating in around 5 debates, and the topic is 'we should abolish special youth wages.' I am 2nd speaker of the negative team. I think I have a few valid points to use, but if anyone knows some good points of the top of their head due to experience or what-not, I wouldn't mind hearing them :)

Also any tips on debating in such an environment for 6-8 minutes?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 8:33:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 1:32:59 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Also any tips on debating in such an environment for 6-8 minutes?

The best advice i can give you is to drink a little alcohol. It'll loosen you up, rid you of your inhibitions and anxieties, and you'll think more clearly. You'd be amazed at how erudite a person can be while under the influence.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 7:50:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Debate tournaments are bullsh!t. The judges are the parents of the debaters, and their votes are almost always based on what they feel is better, without referring to the actual evidence at hand. I've been in and judged many debates and there have been virtually null judges in my experience that clearly followed the logical trains of the arguments. Ultimately, it then dissolves in speaking style, which has nothing to do with debate.

For example, I was in a debate, where my opponents did not address (as in didn't even mention ONCE) two of our arguments, and yet they still won. Then again, I suspect it was cause our opposing team was black and asian, like two of the judges.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 7:51:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do it for public speaking experience. Nothing more.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:13:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/6/2013 8:33:23 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 3/5/2013 1:32:59 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Also any tips on debating in such an environment for 6-8 minutes?

The best advice i can give you is to drink a little alcohol. It'll loosen you up, rid you of your inhibitions and anxieties, and you'll think more clearly. You'd be amazed at how erudite a person can be while under the influence.

Can't tell if serious.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:34:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/8/2013 7:13:46 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 3/6/2013 8:33:23 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 3/5/2013 1:32:59 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Also any tips on debating in such an environment for 6-8 minutes?

The best advice i can give you is to drink a little alcohol. It'll loosen you up, rid you of your inhibitions and anxieties, and you'll think more clearly. You'd be amazed at how erudite a person can be while under the influence.

Can't tell if serious.

Slightly less than two drinks.
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 10:18:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
at least you still know topic at hand, in my case the motion will never released until 20 minutes before the debate which is a real pain.

I guess, if your debate is tomorrow, there is really nothing you can do anymore, just take a break and relax. As a con side, you don't really have to focus on argument at hand that mush (because you don't know what case the pro will set up and it could be silly). You can go over internet see a little bit of this and that to make sure you know what the pro case is about when they showed it (you might know some of its weakness too if you are lucky).

And if you have time, try to organize your point in an orderly manner, sign post etc. I often forgot it when I am debating myself, but as a judge, organization can be a matter of life and death. Sure it might give you that many score but an organized case is easier to comprehend which make the judge agree with you easier, and a disorganize case sometime is unable to perceive at all (and will almost automatically kill you off unless your opposing team also present a case in such fashion).
WithoutMercy
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 1:54:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have done this type of debating tournament as well, and it is hard. The main thing is, even if you aren't really sure what to say, try and get as close as you can to the time limit, it gets you easy points. Speak clearly, don't sway use hand gestures - all that will help.

As to the actual speech, just read up as much as you can about whatever topics you might have. If you are having a conversation with someone, and they ask you a question about a topic, you don't have palmcards, so treat it like a conversation - ie, know lots of stuff about the topic, and you should be al-right

I don't know if you have to rebut what the speaker before you said, but if you can really get into their case, explain why they are wrong and your team is right.

Good luck!
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 1:57:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/6/2013 8:33:23 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 3/5/2013 1:32:59 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Also any tips on debating in such an environment for 6-8 minutes?

The best advice i can give you is to drink a little alcohol. It'll loosen you up, rid you of your inhibitions and anxieties, and you'll think more clearly. You'd be amazed at how erudite a person can be while under the influence.

I completely second this.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 9:28:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've no experience with IRL debating so I can't offer advice, but good luck!
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 9:31:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/7/2013 7:50:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Debate tournaments are bullsh!t. The judges are the parents of the debaters, and their votes are almost always based on what they feel is better, without referring to the actual evidence at hand. I've been in and judged many debates and there have been virtually null judges in my experience that clearly followed the logical trains of the arguments. Ultimately, it then dissolves in speaking style, which has nothing to do with debate.

For example, I was in a debate, where my opponents did not address (as in didn't even mention ONCE) two of our arguments, and yet they still won. Then again, I suspect it was cause our opposing team was black and asian, like two of the judges.

This is pretty much why I haven't bothered trying it out. It seems like a lot of nonsense could easily make such debates a waste of time.

I also don't like the idea of "team debating", but then I've always preferred solo sports too.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 9:35:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/14/2013 9:31:36 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 3/7/2013 7:50:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Debate tournaments are bullsh!t. The judges are the parents of the debaters, and their votes are almost always based on what they feel is better, without referring to the actual evidence at hand. I've been in and judged many debates and there have been virtually null judges in my experience that clearly followed the logical trains of the arguments. Ultimately, it then dissolves in speaking style, which has nothing to do with debate.

For example, I was in a debate, where my opponents did not address (as in didn't even mention ONCE) two of our arguments, and yet they still won. Then again, I suspect it was cause our opposing team was black and asian, like two of the judges.

This is pretty much why I haven't bothered trying it out. It seems like a lot of nonsense could easily make such debates a waste of time.

I also don't like the idea of "team debating", but then I've always preferred solo sports too.

It is mush harder I can tell you, aside from convincing the judge you will also have to convince your team mate, all within 15 minute, including construction of argument.

I am so glad to see that we are debating individually in DDO
lannan13
Posts: 23,024
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 12:52:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/7/2013 7:51:21 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Do it for public speaking experience. Nothing more.

And an attempt to go to nationals in Indy. That's a good expirance. I'm already quailified to go in Foreign Extemp and LD.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
thett3
Posts: 14,336
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 1:16:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/7/2013 7:50:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Debate tournaments are bullsh!t. The judges are the parents of the debaters, and their votes are almost always based on what they feel is better, without referring to the actual evidence at hand. I've been in and judged many debates and there have been virtually null judges in my experience that clearly followed the logical trains of the arguments. Ultimately, it then dissolves in speaking style, which has nothing to do with debate.

For example, I was in a debate, where my opponents did not address (as in didn't even mention ONCE) two of our arguments, and yet they still won. Then again, I suspect it was cause our opposing team was black and asian, like two of the judges.

This. Especially in public forum debate. Being judged by people who can barely speak English was one of the worst things ever. So many rounds I "lost" because of idiot judges. I still did well since I'm a good speaker but I can honestly only think of a handful of rounds this year I genuinely lost on logical argumentation. Many judges are racist or basically told to vote for certain schools as well...three times I've been voted down and have my opponents come up to me and concede that they deserved to lose after the decision
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,336
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 1:22:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Make sure to contrast your arguments with your opponents. Explain not only why they are factually and logically incorrect, but also why even if the judge buys all the arguments in the round yours are still better. Sign post (like "now onto our second contention about ___") and always respect your opponents. If you're stuck as to what attacks to make, think about their arguments from their perspective and think of what arguments you would fear hearing. Above all speak clearly, confidently, and don't be discouraged if you do poorly because debate tournaments are bullshiit like LK said.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Emma589
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 3:58:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I used to get so incredibly scared when debating. This was because I used to debate with people who were a fair bit older than me, and who intimidated me a lot.
However, when I went to my first competition I realised that I couldn't look weak. The teams against you take advantage of that.
For me, I preferred being the third or fourth speaker and making POIs before I spoke to gain some confidence and to show to the opposition that I knew what I was talking about- if you are able to choose which position you are in, I would strongly recommend going third or fourth. Also, you can make more rebuttals :)
When you've done it once, you'll be able to do it again and again.
Good luck :)
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 5:20:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/7/2013 7:50:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Debate tournaments are bullsh!t. The judges are the parents of the debaters, and their votes are almost always based on what they feel is better, without referring to the actual evidence at hand. I've been in and judged many debates and there have been virtually null judges in my experience that clearly followed the logical trains of the arguments. Ultimately, it then dissolves in speaking style, which has nothing to do with debate.

For example, I was in a debate, where my opponents did not address (as in didn't even mention ONCE) two of our arguments, and yet they still won. Then again, I suspect it was cause our opposing team was black and asian, like two of the judges.

The adjudicators are all professionals hired by the association to run the debates.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 5:21:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/14/2013 1:57:52 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/6/2013 8:33:23 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 3/5/2013 1:32:59 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Also any tips on debating in such an environment for 6-8 minutes?

The best advice i can give you is to drink a little alcohol. It'll loosen you up, rid you of your inhibitions and anxieties, and you'll think more clearly. You'd be amazed at how erudite a person can be while under the influence.

I completely second this.

Of course you would -_-
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 5:23:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/14/2013 1:16:23 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 3/7/2013 7:50:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Debate tournaments are bullsh!t. The judges are the parents of the debaters, and their votes are almost always based on what they feel is better, without referring to the actual evidence at hand. I've been in and judged many debates and there have been virtually null judges in my experience that clearly followed the logical trains of the arguments. Ultimately, it then dissolves in speaking style, which has nothing to do with debate.

For example, I was in a debate, where my opponents did not address (as in didn't even mention ONCE) two of our arguments, and yet they still won. Then again, I suspect it was cause our opposing team was black and asian, like two of the judges.


This. Especially in public forum debate. Being judged by people who can barely speak English was one of the worst things ever. So many rounds I "lost" because of idiot judges. I still did well since I'm a good speaker but I can honestly only think of a handful of rounds this year I genuinely lost on logical argumentation. Many judges are racist or basically told to vote for certain schools as well...three times I've been voted down and have my opponents come up to me and concede that they deserved to lose after the decision

Im from Victoria Australia, there is a society that runs for the sake of professional debates, run by actual professionals. My school pays for my teams entry.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...