Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Least-Favorite Words

Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 12:59:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The question is in the title: what are some words people use that you just can't stand? They can be grating, pretentious, disgusting, or whatever you [don't] like.

Coming immediately to mind is the word "utterly". Beyond just sounding not-quite-right, it seems like a word that one has to deliberately and consciously use in place of "totally", "completely", "entirely", etc. It conveys to me a sense of (undeserved, I think) finality and authority concerning the subject of discussion (e.g., "this is utterly false", "that claim is utterly ridiculous"). I might be projecting, because the word is so repugnant to me that I would rarely (if ever) use it, but, every time I read it, I can't help but think "Seriously? Did you seriously just use 'utterly'? What an asshole. Someone's trying to sound smart."

Also, inb4 someone uses "utterly" to troll.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 1:07:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Poop"

It's one up from "doo-doo" but adults use it all the time. I know I sound ridiculous when I alert my wife to the fact that our baby has *deficated* in his diaper, but I don't care.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 1:59:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What an a$shole. Someone's trying to sound smart."

lol, I don't get that same sense from utterly. I don't see it as pretentious maybe because I've just heard the word so often and use it occasionally. For me it's the overuse of i.e. and e.g. and writing latin phrases, but it's only minor. It's content that's going to get me frustrated with a person, not specific words.
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 2:39:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Epic"

It is such a misused word(Or was, it seems to be dropping off in popularity where I am)
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 3:29:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Alliteration"

Every. Single. Time. two consecutive words happen to start with the same consonant, kids in my AP English Language classes would shout out "ALLITERATION!!! IT'S F*CKING ALLITERATION!!!! THIS IS THE ONLY ENGLISH LIT WORD I CARED TO MEMORIZE, SO NOW I WITH MY LEGION OF ALLITERATIONERS SHALL VANQUISH THE PROFOUND IGNORANCE CONCERNING THE TECHNIQUE JUST USED BY THIS BRILLIANT AUTHOR WHO SO INTENTIONALLY WROTE THESE TWO WORDS SIDE-BY-SIDE TO DELIGHT OUR VISUAL CORTEXES! IT'S ALLITERATION, F*CKERS. BOOM--KNOWLEDGE BOMB!"
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 3:32:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Moist.

The way it sounds, the feeling of the word on my lips, what it means and the images that come to mind... disgusting.
yang.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 3:36:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 3:32:44 PM, tulle wrote:
Moist.

The way it sounds, the feeling of the word on my lips, what it means and the images that come to mind... disgusting.

http://i.imgur.com...
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 3:38:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 3:36:17 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 3/5/2013 3:32:44 PM, tulle wrote:
Moist.

The way it sounds, the feeling of the word on my lips, what it means and the images that come to mind... disgusting.

http://i.imgur.com...

What is that and WHY?
yang.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 3:56:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 3:38:56 PM, tulle wrote:
At 3/5/2013 3:36:17 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 3/5/2013 3:32:44 PM, tulle wrote:
Moist.

The way it sounds, the feeling of the word on my lips, what it means and the images that come to mind... disgusting.

http://i.imgur.com...

What is that and WHY?

It appears to be a combination of Nicolas Cage and Hillary Clinton with the caption 'I too am moist'. As to why, well, the internet.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 4:45:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Some of the words I've seen on DDO.

1) "False"
This is usually irritating when someone quotes something that another member has written and writes "false" next to it. I can't explain the exact reason for irritation but it seems like pseudoformal speech.

2) "This^"
Usually happens after quoting another member in an argument that the offender likes often without respect to whether the argument was responded to. "I agree with what X has said and I disagree with the response because..." seems so much more respectful and considerate.

3) "Fvcking this^"
A variation of 2 with a swearword added for additional emphasis. For some odd reason, this is less annoying than #2. I haven't figured out why. It is annoying nonetheless.

4)
quote
Just a quote with nothing additional added to the quote. In short, it seems like mob-mentality taking over. Especially annoying when the quote in question has been responded to.

5) "I already explained..."
Usually a justified statement since the person in question's explanation was buried under a load of posts. The statement still comes across as annoying. Merely repeating yourself would likely be less annoying.
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 4:47:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 12:59:49 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
The question is in the title: what are some words people use that you just can't stand? They can be grating, pretentious, disgusting, or whatever you [don't] like.

Coming immediately to mind is the word "utterly". Beyond just sounding not-quite-right, it seems like a word that one has to deliberately and consciously use in place of "totally", "completely", "entirely", etc. It conveys to me a sense of (undeserved, I think) finality and authority concerning the subject of discussion (e.g., "this is utterly false", "that claim is utterly ridiculous"). I might be projecting, because the word is so repugnant to me that I would rarely (if ever) use it, but, every time I read it, I can't help but think "Seriously? Did you seriously just use 'utterly'? What an asshole. Someone's trying to sound smart."

Also, inb4 someone uses "utterly" to troll.

"Like" when used arbitrarily rather than to introduce a simile when rhetorically necessary.

"totally" because valley girls (and Californians in general) irritate me.

"bro" because it's a word of choice among "str8" guys who fvck men.

"feel" when used where "think" should have been (or "feeling" where "thinking" should have occurred).

I'm sure I'll think of more...
Tsar of DDO
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 5:43:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Reading these threads always makes me feel awkward.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 5:54:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 4:45:21 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Some of the words I've seen on DDO.

1) "False"
This is usually irritating when someone quotes something that another member has written and writes "false" next to it. I can't explain the exact reason for irritation but it seems like pseudoformal speech.

2) "This^"
Usually happens after quoting another member in an argument that the offender likes often without respect to whether the argument was responded to. "I agree with what X has said and I disagree with the response because..." seems so much more respectful and considerate.

3) "Fvcking this^"
A variation of 2 with a swearword added for additional emphasis. For some odd reason, this is less annoying than #2. I haven't figured out why. It is annoying nonetheless.

4)
quote
Just a quote with nothing additional added to the quote. In short, it seems like mob-mentality taking over. Especially annoying when the quote in question has been responded to.

5) "I already explained..."
Usually a justified statement since the person in question's explanation was buried under a load of posts. The statement still comes across as annoying. Merely repeating yourself would likely be less annoying.

This^
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 5:54:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 5:43:18 PM, phantom wrote:
Reading these threads always makes me feel awkward.

The moist lip one is the only awkward one, because of the picture.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 6:00:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 1:07:06 PM, vbaculum wrote:
"Poop"

It's one up from "doo-doo" but adults use it all the time. I know I sound ridiculous when I alert my wife to the fact that our baby has *deficated* in his diaper, but I don't care.

I agree with the previous speaker. I ask the person to say their sentence again, but replace that word with crap or sh*t. I think crap is a better word.

"standing in other people's shoes"

^ Is horribly annoying and has been way overused. Shut the hell up if you are going to say this. I instead say "seeing it from their perspective/ their point of view".

Other words include swag, retard, respect, and fo dat. Swag is stupid, and I ask the person to replace that word with class, like, I prefer that people tell me I have class rather than swag. Retard is offensive to those who are mentally disabled. And fo dat is an overused meme that is so annoying.

Respect is an interesting word, because it means "give me more authority". If an administrator asks for more respect, it means give them more authority and power. It is a quite interesting way to use a word really.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 7:10:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
False. As I already explained:

At 3/5/2013 4:45:21 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Some of the words I've seen on DDO.

1) "False"
This is usually irritating when someone quotes something that another member has written and writes "false" next to it. I can't explain the exact reason for irritation but it seems like pseudoformal speech.

2) "This^"
Usually happens after quoting another member in an argument that the offender likes often without respect to whether the argument was responded to. "I agree with what X has said and I disagree with the response because..." seems so much more respectful and considerate.

3) "Fvcking this^"
A variation of 2 with a swearword added for additional emphasis. For some odd reason, this is less annoying than #2. I haven't figured out why. It is annoying nonetheless.

4)
quote
Just a quote with nothing additional added to the quote. In short, it seems like mob-mentality taking over. Especially annoying when the quote in question has been responded to.

5) "I already explained..."
Usually a justified statement since the person in question's explanation was buried under a load of posts. The statement still comes across as annoying. Merely repeating yourself would likely be less annoying.

Fvcking this^, yes this^
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 11:15:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There is someone I know who uses "sugarmuffin" instead of swearing. These sort of "I don't want to swear" phrases in general bother me, because it doesn't change anything. The swear words are considered offensive because swearing is considered offensive - it's not so much the particular letters involved, but the way the word is used. So using a replacement word, like "fudge" or "heck", is useless. Just leave out the swearing if you don't want to swear... Not to mention, I have absolutely no idea what a sugar muffin is, anyway.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 11:18:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 11:15:50 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
There is someone I know who uses "sugarmuffin" instead of swearing. These sort of "I don't want to swear" phrases in general bother me, because it doesn't change anything. The swear words are considered offensive because swearing is considered offensive - it's not so much the particular letters involved, but the way the word is used. So using a replacement word, like "fudge" or "heck", is useless. Just leave out the swearing if you don't want to swear... Not to mention, I have absolutely no idea what a sugar muffin is, anyway.

A sugar muffin is a muffin sprinkled with sugar... what's so unusual about it? I see blueberry muffins sprinkled with sugar all the time.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 11:20:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 11:15:50 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
There is someone I know who uses "sugarmuffin" instead of swearing. These sort of "I don't want to swear" phrases in general bother me, because it doesn't change anything. The swear words are considered offensive because swearing is considered offensive - it's not so much the particular letters involved, but the way the word is used. So using a replacement word, like "fudge" or "heck", is useless. Just leave out the swearing if you don't want to swear... Not to mention, I have absolutely no idea what a sugar muffin is, anyway.

So, are you saying your friend says phrases like "what the sugarmuffin is that?"

That's someone I'd love to meet. It should be hilarious.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 11:21:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 11:18:44 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 3/5/2013 11:15:50 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
There is someone I know who uses "sugarmuffin" instead of swearing. These sort of "I don't want to swear" phrases in general bother me, because it doesn't change anything. The swear words are considered offensive because swearing is considered offensive - it's not so much the particular letters involved, but the way the word is used. So using a replacement word, like "fudge" or "heck", is useless. Just leave out the swearing if you don't want to swear... Not to mention, I have absolutely no idea what a sugar muffin is, anyway.

A sugar muffin is a muffin sprinkled with sugar... what's so unusual about it? I see blueberry muffins sprinkled with sugar all the time.

But that's a blueberry muffin, it just happens to have sugar on it. So I guess a sugar muffin would be like that, but without the blueberries. That's no fun, though.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 11:24:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 1:59:13 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
What an a$shole. Someone's trying to sound smart."

lol, I don't get that same sense from utterly. I don't see it as pretentious maybe because I've just heard the word so often and use it occasionally. For me it's the overuse of i.e. and e.g. and writing latin phrases, but it's only minor. It's content that's going to get me frustrated with a person, not specific words.

I think I get more frustrated with the misuse/confusion of i.e./e.g. than their overuse (though I'm biased because I prefer "e.g." to "for example" and its permutations). I feel you on Latin phrases, though. I think they can often be really helpful for getting across something difficult to represent in English (which is why I support it for all foreign languages); on the other hand, I think the problem's most annoying form is when people cite the full Latin names for logical fallacies, like cum hoc ergo propter hoc or argumentum ad populum.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 11:24:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 11:20:21 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 3/5/2013 11:15:50 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
There is someone I know who uses "sugarmuffin" instead of swearing. These sort of "I don't want to swear" phrases in general bother me, because it doesn't change anything. The swear words are considered offensive because swearing is considered offensive - it's not so much the particular letters involved, but the way the word is used. So using a replacement word, like "fudge" or "heck", is useless. Just leave out the swearing if you don't want to swear... Not to mention, I have absolutely no idea what a sugar muffin is, anyway.

So, are you saying your friend says phrases like "what the sugarmuffin is that?"

Lol, yeah. Or she'll be building something, hit her thumb with a hammer, and say "sugarmuffin". I don't see any way in which it is unacceptable to swear in that scenario, but maybe she does. It can be funny, but it's still a pet peeve of mine.

That's someone I'd love to meet. It should be hilarious.

She is :) I have awesome friends. Not so many of them, but it's quality over quantity.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 11:43:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 11:24:16 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 3/5/2013 1:59:13 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
What an a$shole. Someone's trying to sound smart."

lol, I don't get that same sense from utterly. I don't see it as pretentious maybe because I've just heard the word so often and use it occasionally. For me it's the overuse of i.e. and e.g. and writing latin phrases, but it's only minor. It's content that's going to get me frustrated with a person, not specific words.

I think I get more frustrated with the misuse/confusion of i.e./e.g. than their overuse (though I'm biased because I prefer "e.g." to "for example" and its permutations). I feel you on Latin phrases, though. I think they can often be really helpful for getting across something difficult to represent in English (which is why I support it for all foreign languages); on the other hand, I think the problem's most annoying form is when people cite the full Latin names for logical fallacies, like cum hoc ergo propter hoc or argumentum ad populum.

I say, I do enjoy vegetables, i.e. carrots, per se.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 11:48:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 11:43:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 3/5/2013 11:24:16 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 3/5/2013 1:59:13 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
What an a$shole. Someone's trying to sound smart."

lol, I don't get that same sense from utterly. I don't see it as pretentious maybe because I've just heard the word so often and use it occasionally. For me it's the overuse of i.e. and e.g. and writing latin phrases, but it's only minor. It's content that's going to get me frustrated with a person, not specific words.

I think I get more frustrated with the misuse/confusion of i.e./e.g. than their overuse (though I'm biased because I prefer "e.g." to "for example" and its permutations). I feel you on Latin phrases, though. I think they can often be really helpful for getting across something difficult to represent in English (which is why I support it for all foreign languages); on the other hand, I think the problem's most annoying form is when people cite the full Latin names for logical fallacies, like cum hoc ergo propter hoc or argumentum ad populum.

I say, I do enjoy vegetables, i.e. carrots, per se.

I think you mean to say that vegetables per se, i.e., carrots, are utterly enjoyable.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 12:34:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/5/2013 4:45:21 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Some of the words I've seen on DDO.

1) "False"
This is usually irritating when someone quotes something that another member has written and writes "false" next to it. I can't explain the exact reason for irritation but it seems like pseudoformal speech.

2) "This^"
Usually happens after quoting another member in an argument that the offender likes often without respect to whether the argument was responded to. "I agree with what X has said and I disagree with the response because..." seems so much more respectful and considerate.

3) "Fvcking this^"
A variation of 2 with a swearword added for additional emphasis. For some odd reason, this is less annoying than #2. I haven't figured out why. It is annoying nonetheless.

4)
quote
Just a quote with nothing additional added to the quote. In short, it seems like mob-mentality taking over. Especially annoying when the quote in question has been responded to.

5) "I already explained..."
Usually a justified statement since the person in question's explanation was buried under a load of posts. The statement still comes across as annoying. Merely repeating yourself would likely be less annoying.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,285
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 12:02:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ain't
'Murican
Bro'
Dude
The overuse of sports-related idioms ('drop the ball' is probably my least favorite of all)
Any sort of term restricted to hip-hop (swag, homie)
Using the word 'gay' to refer to everything under the sun
Overuse of the word 'fvck'
The flagrant and long-standing abuse of the word 'martini'
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -