Jump to topic:

Bucket List Top Ten's

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 2:53:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What are the ten things you want to do before you die?

Mine are as follows:

(1) Travel to more than 35 countries.
(2) Start an international aid foundation.
(3) Reform the penal and welfare systems in the United States.
(4) Meet Hillary Clinton.
(5) Be invited to, and speak before a crowd of more than 250,000 people.
(6) Publish a book.
(7) Start a shipping business.
(8) Compete in a triathlon.
(9) Go on a safari.
(10) Live in more than five countries for a period of more than two years each.
Tsar of DDO
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 11:30:13 AM
I made one of these a few weeks ago, I'll just copy paste.

1. Paragliding: Duh. It's so exciting, and spontaneous. I wish I was too. Sadly, I enjoy the comfort of monoteinity in life. But it would provide an interesting contrast in my life.

2. World tour: That has been my wish since I was a little girl. I want to soak myself in different cultures, to be a mindless wanderer, on a quest to discover myself. *Sigh*

3. Get rid of my stage fright: I aspire to express my thought, my convictions to a group of strangers without shitting my pants.

4. Go up on a down elevator: Pretty lame. But I think I might be close to completing this one. I'll videotape this and upload.

5. Make a YouTube video of your world tour: What's the use of doing a world tour if you can't brag about it? Is it even considered a world tour?

6. Be an IAS officer: And make a difference.

7. Get highlights: Rainbow highlights, I've been too careful my entire teenage life.

8. Get an outrageous hair colour: Purple? Need to think about it.

9. Play guitar on the road and collect some foreign change or something: Ha.

10. Participate in a bull race in spain: Although I'm going to look like a complete douche for saying this, but YOLO.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 12:04:59 PM
1. See the following plants in bloom in the wild: Dendrophylax lindenii (the American ghost orchid, and my avatar), Calypso bulbosa (the Venus's slipper orchid), and Nematoceras dienemum (the windswept helmet-orchid).

2. Travel to the Bodhi Tree.

3. See Michelangelo's David.

4. See as many collections of works by the following painters as possible:
J. M. W. Turner
Thomas Cole
Edgar Degas
Caspar David Friedrich
Frederic Edwin Church
Claude Monet
Martin Johnson Heade

5. Visit Ise Grand Shrine in Japan

6. See a production at the Met, the Paris Opera, and Covent Garden.

7. Travel to Switzerland.

8. Learn to read Latin.

9. Learn ballroom dancing (waltz, mazurka, and tango especially)

10. Visit the rainforests of Borneo
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 10:30:49 PM
1. Visit my best friends, who right now I only know through the internet. (inb4 "on no, stranger danger!")
2. Get my PhD in something.
3. Have some sort of athletic accomplishment (black belt in Tae Kwon Do, probably)
4. Live in New York City
5. Learn an instrument (and get really good at it, unlike when i played piano in school)
6. Visit Hawaii again
7. Once I've been saving up money for a while and can afford it, go back to college and study something way outside of what I know and am comfortable with. Art, maybe.
8. Discover something new.
9. Make at least enough progress with the teleportation plan I'm working on that people can revisit in in the future once technology is more advanced and make it work.
10. Stand around somewhere with a "free hugs" sign
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 10:32:54 PM
At 3/9/2013 11:30:13 AM, Cermank wrote:
7. Get highlights: Rainbow highlights, I've been too careful my entire teenage life.

Haha this was on my list of "top ten things i must do" for a while. Do it naow. It's awesome and even though I dyed my hair back to natural colors after about a year, no regrets. And yes, go for purple. The other color i tried was light pink and that didn't show up well, even with bleach first.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 11:57:23 PM
In no particular order:

1. Fly an ultralight airplane.
2. Kiss a beautiful girl.
3. Run a half marathon (I've signed up for two of them in the last couple of years, and both times, the knees said, 'no.')
4. Visit England.
5. Visit Hawaii.
6. Visit Crater Lake.
7. See the northern lights.
8. Pee on a fire hydrant.
9. See a tornado.
10. Be in an earthquake.
11. See a total eclipse.
12. Fly first class.
13. Visit Hobbiton in New Zealand.
14. Shoot a bison with a bow from horseback.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 12:00:02 AM
At 3/8/2013 2:53:41 PM, YYW wrote:

I met Bill Clinton!

(6) Publish a book.

I need to add that to my list.

I've done two!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 12:02:04 AM
10. Participate in a bull race in spain: Although I'm going to look like a complete douche for saying this, but YOLO.

There's always the alternative of Running With the Nudes in Pamploma.

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 12:05:08 AM
At 3/9/2013 10:30:49 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to do that, but I'm afraid I never will. Maybe I should add it to my bucketlist because if I never accomplish it, maybe I'll never die! :-)

5. Learn an instrument (and get really good at it, unlike when i played piano in school)

I've played the guitar for more than 20 years, and I still suck at it.

I ran into a guy at the Eeyore's Birthday festival in Austin Texas who was wearing a "free hugs" sign, and I hugged him. It worked for him, so I'm sure it'll work for you.

Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 12:18:00 AM
At 3/10/2013 12:05:08 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 3/9/2013 10:30:49 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to do that, but I'm afraid I never will. Maybe I should add it to my bucketlist because if I never accomplish it, maybe I'll never die! :-)

Haha, if only bucket lists really worked like that :)

I've played the guitar for more than 20 years, and I still suck at it.

That's about what happened to me, I did piano from when I was little more than a toddler to when I was about 16. So much effort... So I'm just going to try a different instrument and hopefully that works out a bit better for me.

I ran into a guy at the Eeyore's Birthday festival in Austin Texas who was wearing a "free hugs" sign, and I hugged him. It worked for him, so I'm sure it'll work for you.

I hope so :) The general principle I try to live my life by is that there aren't enough good, kind people in the world, so I should try my best to increase the number of them by being one and maybe even leading by example. Seems only logical that I'd have a "free hugs" sign at some point or another.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 12:20:07 AM
At 3/10/2013 12:18:00 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
The general principle I try to live my life by is that there aren't enough good, kind people in the world, so I should try my best to increase the number of them by being one and maybe even leading by example.

I totally dig that philosophy.

Seems only logical that I'd have a "free hugs" sign at some point or another.

That does make good sense. I hope I'm around when you do.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 12:35:47 AM
1) Become Chairman of anything so that I could have a thing on my desk that says "Chairman Bench'
2) Learn German curse words so that I can yell them at people during sports to freak them out
3) Fill an empty jar of Mayo with Vanilla pudding and eat it in public
4) Fire a Gatling gun
5) Do 120 mph on a highway
6) Fly a kite during a hurricane with a key on it, while dressed as Ben Franklin
7) Dress up as a zombie, run a 5k, and chase fat people to motivate them to run faster
8) Get a cool sexy scar that can be easily seen
9) Get a leather jacket that says "Legend of Korra fan for life"
10) Punch anyone from the Westboro Church in the face
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 12:45:46 AM
At 3/10/2013 12:35:47 AM, imabench wrote:
7) Dress up as a zombie, run a 5k, and chase fat people to motivate them to run faster

You could always volunteer for the Zombie Run For Your Life 5k. It's the next best thing. http://www.runforyourlives.com...

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 1:13:34 AM
Nobody really cares but...

(1) I've planned this trip to a really specific set of places in a certain order, and that's the number one thing I'm going to do before I die.
(2) Visit all of Napoleon's battlefields.
(3) Attend a Mass in Latin and Aramaic, if I can find one.
(4) Write a book of some kind.
(5) Skydiving, which you can of course find on many lists like these.
(6) Scuba diving, which I've done a few times but never in a place worth exploring.
(7) Collect every book on Napoleon I can find.
(8) Collect every painting (replicas, of course) of Napoleon I can find.
(9) Have enough money to complete everything on this list.
(10) Telekinesis. I put this one last because it'll never happen.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 1:43:27 AM
At 3/10/2013 1:13:34 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Not my list, because I've already done it. :-b

I had a dream one time that I could move things with my mind. Then I woke up (or thought I had woken up), and while laying in bed, though I'd try it again. After a little effort, my door moved, and it freaked me out so much, it woke me up. Or I thought it woke me up. Apparently I was still dreaming. I was laying there on my bed a little afraid to try it again. But then I tried it, and it didn't work. After putting a little more effort into it, it finally worked, and that freaked me out, too. This time, I actually did wake up. Or at least I think I did. I may still be dreaming.

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 3:12:22 AM
At 3/10/2013 1:43:27 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 3/10/2013 1:13:34 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Not my list, because I've already done it. :-b

That's amazing. I'm doing it this summer. Or, I think I am. My mother will probably prevent me, and while I'm supposed to be independent with decisions and such, I would be doing it with their money, so...

I had a dream one time that I could move things with my mind. Then I woke up (or thought I had woken up), and while laying in bed, though I'd try it again. After a little effort, my door moved, and it freaked me out so much, it woke me up. Or I thought it woke me up. Apparently I was still dreaming. I was laying there on my bed a little afraid to try it again. But then I tried it, and it didn't work. After putting a little more effort into it, it finally worked, and that freaked me out, too. This time, I actually did wake up. Or at least I think I did. I may still be dreaming.

I've just wanted to do it for so long. If a genie asked me for three wishes right now, telekinesis would easily be one of the three (provided I can't wish for plenipotence and stuff). You've inspired me to attempt to dream lucidly again tonight, just so I can move things with my mind and go on a telekinetic rampage around Ruston.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 4:54:49 AM
What are the ten things you want to do before you die?

Mine are as follows:

(1) Travel to more than 35 countries.
(2) Start an international aid foundation.
(3) Reform the penal and welfare systems in the United States.
(5) Be invited to, and speak before a crowd of more than 250,000 people.
(6) Publish a book.
(7) Start a shipping business.
(9) Go on a safari.
(10) Live in more than five countries for a period of more than two years each.

I want to die before I die and therefore cause a contradiction that will kill everyone else.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 8:17:08 AM
At 3/9/2013 10:32:54 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Haha this was on my list of "top ten things i must do" for a while. Do it naow. It's awesome and even though I dyed my hair back to natural colors after about a year, no regrets. And yes, go for purple. The other color i tried was light pink and that didn't show up well, even with bleach first.

That's so cool. I just keep chickening out. I'll probably go for purple though, violet to be specific. When did you do it?

I plan on going for civil services, so I have to be, like, really prim and proper right now. I'll probably do it once I get in. :P
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 8:19:23 AM
At 3/10/2013 12:02:04 AM, philochristos wrote:

There's always the alternative of Running With the Nudes in Pamploma.

Watching the race would be way more fun.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 11:49:56 AM
At 3/10/2013 4:54:49 AM, Smithereens wrote:
I want to die before I die and therefore cause a contradiction that will kill everyone else.

You never know what might happen on the other end of a paradox. You could end up becoming immortal.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:42:34 PM
At 3/9/2013 12:04:59 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
1. See the following plants in bloom in the wild: Dendrophylax lindenii (the American ghost orchid, and my avatar), Calypso bulbosa (the Venus's slipper orchid), and Nematoceras dienemum (the windswept helmet-orchid).

2. Travel to the Bodhi Tree.

3. See Michelangelo's David.

4. See as many collections of works by the following painters as possible:
J. M. W. Turner
Thomas Cole
Edgar Degas
Caspar David Friedrich
Frederic Edwin Church
Claude Monet
Martin Johnson Heade

5. Visit Ise Grand Shrine in Japan

6. See a production at the Met, the Paris Opera, and Covent Garden.

Geneva and Zurich are awesome. The skiing isn't bad either...

8. Learn to read Latin.

9. Learn ballroom dancing (waltz, mazurka, and tango especially)

10. Visit the rainforests of Borneo
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:45:25 PM
At 3/9/2013 11:57:23 PM, philochristos wrote:
In no particular order:

1. Fly an ultralight airplane.
2. Kiss a beautiful girl.

Is it that you've never been kissed or that you've just never kissed a girl who is beautiful -or both?

3. Run a half marathon (I've signed up for two of them in the last couple of years, and both times, the knees said, 'no.')
4. Visit England.

I've only really flown through London. I've never spent any time there though.

5. Visit Hawaii.
6. Visit Crater Lake.
7. See the northern lights.
8. Pee on a fire hydrant.

lol

9. See a tornado.
10. Be in an earthquake.
11. See a total eclipse.
12. Fly first class.

I'd recommend Air France, KLM or Lufthansa. They are my three favorites.

13. Visit Hobbiton in New Zealand.
14. Shoot a bison with a bow from horseback.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:46:40 PM
At 3/10/2013 12:35:47 AM, imabench wrote:
1) Become Chairman of anything so that I could have a thing on my desk that says "Chairman Bench'
2) Learn German curse words so that I can yell them at people during sports to freak them out

http://www.barnesandnoble.com...

3) Fill an empty jar of Mayo with Vanilla pudding and eat it in public
4) Fire a Gatling gun
5) Do 120 mph on a highway
6) Fly a kite during a hurricane with a key on it, while dressed as Ben Franklin
8) Get a cool sexy scar that can be easily seen
9) Get a leather jacket that says "Legend of Korra fan for life"
10) Punch anyone from the Westboro Church in the face
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:48:18 PM
At 3/10/2013 12:00:02 AM, philochristos wrote:

I met Bill Clinton!

I am eternally jealous... in case you were wondering. I'd love to meet Bill too!

(6) Publish a book.

I need to add that to my list.

I've done two!

That's incredibly impressive. How do you prepare for them?
Tsar of DDO
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 10:54:40 PM
At 3/10/2013 8:17:08 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 3/9/2013 10:32:54 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

That's so cool. I just keep chickening out. I'll probably go for purple though, violet to be specific. When did you do it?

I think I was about 16, it was just the one almost-invisible light pink highlight at first but within a few months I had a mess of purple, dark brown, and light blonde hair. I will warn you that the upkeep for unnatural hair colors is horrendous, especially if you swim. I had to dye it about every week or two (which is why I stopped doing that). But, this is good news if you're worried about having such a wacky color. It goes away, and quickly!

I plan on going for civil services, so I have to be, like, really prim and proper right now. I'll probably do it once I get in. :P

That sucks, just worry about getting in for now and then dye your hair crazy colors. :)
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 11:37:44 PM
At 3/10/2013 7:42:34 PM, YYW wrote:

They and Bern are on my list. I also want to go to an area that speaks Romansh, just because it's such a beautiful language.

If I went skiing I'd have to stick to the bunny slopes, as I'm pretty horrible. I wouldn't even call what I do skiing; it's more like 'rolling haphazardly in a downhill direction with planks strapped to my feet'.

Are you Swiss?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 12:19:51 AM
At 3/10/2013 11:37:44 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/10/2013 7:42:34 PM, YYW wrote:

They and Bern are on my list. I also want to go to an area that speaks Romansh, just because it's such a beautiful language.

I agree.

If I went skiing I'd have to stick to the bunny slopes, as I'm pretty horrible. I wouldn't even call what I do skiing; it's more like 'rolling haphazardly in a downhill direction with planks strapped to my feet'.

Are you Swiss?

American by birth.
Tsar of DDO
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 12:25:43 AM
I wish to become more than a man. I wish to become an idea. An idea who's essence permeates into every facet of society and mutates it's genomes to my own twisted desires.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 12:45:04 AM
I'd like to have a (n+2)-some.

1. I'd like to have a (1+2)-some = threesome.
10. I'd like to have a (10+2)-some = twelvesome.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.