Jump to topic:

taking SAT tomorrow - any advice?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:13:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Are blue-book scores really a good litmus test for how well you do on test day? How do you not make really dumb mistakes on the math section? What makes the difference between a 5 and a 6 on the essay?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:15:49 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:13:01 PM, 000ike wrote:
Are blue-book scores really a good litmus test for how well you do on test day?

They were for me, results may vary though

How do you not make really dumb mistakes on the math section?

Just go nice and slow, you dont get extra points for finishing first so take your time. If youre completely stuck on a question just come back to it later though.

What makes the difference between a 5 and a 6 on the essay?

Avoid using the same words over and over and dont try to use too fancy language, clarity goes much farther towards a 6 then fanciness does.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:25:55 PM
The rule that says you're not supposed to guess is bullsh1t. All the SAT does with the minus 1/4 point for wrong question is make it statistically neutral to one's score to randomly guess to avoid students filling in the rest of their sheet if they run out of time.
On the math section, make things more concrete with real numbers, and plug in numbers to get real equations. On the reading section, remember the answer is IN the passage. On the writing section, know your basic rules very well, and remember who vs whom is NOT tested. Good luck !
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:28:36 PM
Oh, by the way, the SAT is literally one of the least important things about the SAT. Yes, it does count for 1/3 of the total score of the writing section, but it's unlikely you'll be getting a 1 or even a 2. It's really just between four, five, and six if you can write. Don't worry about the essay... believe me.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:28:43 PM
Write a lot on the essay. I didnt know when I took it, but apparently length and score are super correlated. http://abcnews.go.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:28:48 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:28:36 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Oh, by the way, the SAT is literally one of the least important things about the SAT. Yes, it does count for 1/3 of the total score of the writing section, but it's unlikely you'll be getting a 1 or even a 2. It's really just between four, five, and six if you can write. Don't worry about the essay... believe me.

SAT essay*
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:29:28 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:28:43 PM, thett3 wrote:
Write a lot on the essay. I didnt know when I took it, but apparently length and score are super correlated. http://abcnews.go.com...

but the essay doesnt really count for shitt in the writing section, which doesnt really count for shitt anyway
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:30:15 PM
Don't screw up, it will ruin your life. Your entire future is riding on this single test.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:30:23 PM

I'm not sure if simply writing more will help. It might help a little bit, but most of that correlation is probably not causation.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:31:14 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:30:15 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Don't screw up, it will ruin your life. Your entire future is riding on this single test.

Ah yes, never forget this! In fact, reiterate it in your head while taking the test so you don't forget how important it is!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:31:43 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:30:23 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I'm not sure if simply writing more will help. It might help a little bit, but most of that correlation is probably not causation.

read the article
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:35:56 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:31:43 PM, thett3 wrote:

read the article

I read it, apparently you don't know what correlation vs causation is. Essentially what you're saying is that people who go out in the sun a lot buy more sunscreen, so if you buy more sunscreen, you'll go out in the sun more.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:36:38 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:35:56 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

read the article

I read it, apparently you don't know what correlation vs causation is. Essentially what you're saying is that people who go out in the sun a lot buy more sunscreen, so if you buy more sunscreen, you'll go out in the sun more.

Bad example because tanning, I know. But you get my drift...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:39:38 PM

read the article

Do you have an actual argument or are you going to resort to accusing me of fallacies? Nowhere was it argued that length is the *only* factor but when the people grading it are literally only grading it by an incredibly brief first impression (they spend less than 2 minutes on each essay), yes length is important.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:41:24 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:39:38 PM, thett3 wrote:

read the article

Do you have an actual argument or are you going to resort to accusing me of fallacies? Nowhere was it argued that length is the *only* factor but when the people grading it are literally only grading it by an incredibly brief first impression (they spend less than 2 minutes on each essay), yes length is important.

You're accusing me of what you accuse me of accusing you of.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:42:08 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:39:38 PM, thett3 wrote:

read the article

correlation causation fallacy= length and score are + correlated, therefore length causses higher score

My argument (and the articles argument): Since the graders grade the essays so subjectively and quickly, the effects of a first impression (including length) are important. The data indicates an incredibly positive correlation between the two supporting the argument
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:44:19 PM
"The data indicates an incredibly positive correlation between the two supporting the argument"

And? This literally proves nothing about the extent to which intrinsic length has to do with scores.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:45:58 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:44:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Correlation might not equal causation. But it does show that the two variables are causally linked.

If, as the sales of guitars go up in Idaho, the murder rate in Russia goes down, are the two correlated?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:46:16 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:44:19 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
"The data indicates an incredibly positive correlation between the two supporting the argument"

And? This literally proves nothing about the extent to which intrinsic length has to do with scores.

Dude seriously? The argument is a logical one (IE graders have limited time/grade subjectively hence the importance of first impression) and the data is included to support the argument.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:46:19 PM
Correlation might not equal causation. But it does show that the two variables are causally linked.

Yes, but that doesn't mean one's score will be higher if they write more for that arbitrary reason.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:47:49 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:46:16 PM, thett3 wrote:

Dude seriously? The argument is a logical one (IE graders have limited time/grade subjectively hence the importance of first impression) and the data is included to support the argument.

I don't know how you get from "limited time" to VERY HIGH correlation ( you don't seem to understand my points, because you keep pointing to the data, of which I have already addressed).
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:48:22 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:46:19 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Yes, but that doesn't mean one's score will be higher if they write more for that arbitrary reason.

Not if you write like "#yolo#yolo#yolo" over and over, but if flesh out your points more, even if you have to repeat yourself, it looks better. Dont believe for a moment that they read these essays thoroughly
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:50:27 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:45:58 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

If, as the sales of guitars go up in Idaho, the murder rate in Russia goes down, are the two correlated?

It would depend how strong the trend is and how long it lasts. Its possible that two variables can be correlated just by chance alone, which would seem to be the case here. But you can use probability to figure out what the probability of such an occurence happening randomly.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 7:50:46 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:47:49 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/8/2013 7:46:16 PM, thett3 wrote:

I don't know how you get from "limited time" to VERY HIGH correlation ( you don't seem to understand my points, because you keep pointing to the data, of which I have already addressed).

BECAUSE IT PREVENTS THEM FROM READING AND EVALUATING THE ESSAY THOROUGHLY, THEREFORE INCREASING THE IMPORTANCE OF THE MORE "FLASHY" FACTORS LIKE HANDWRITING AND LENGTH. The data is included as a supplement to show that the argument is empirically correct

and no ,I'm not arguing length is the sole factor. Ike asked what the difference between a 5 and a 6 was. Length is one of those factors.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 8:01:28 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:56:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
chaleslb got a perfect score on his Writing SAT essay. You know its true.

LOL.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 8:09:51 PM
At 3/8/2013 7:56:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
chaleslb got a perfect score on his Writing SAT essay. You know its true.

I got 720 and I'm horrible at writing. Believe me, the SAT does NOT test writing skills.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 8:11:39 PM
"The data is included as a supplement to show that the argument is empirically correct"

Enough with the appeal to the data -- I recognize it! You need more analysis of the data if you expect me to take your claim seriously.