Friends

My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 1:47:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
How do I make friends?
"Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics." ~ phantom
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 2:27:23 PM
At 3/31/2013 1:47:28 PM, My-Self wrote:
How do I make friends?

According to Dale Carnegie, author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, you should act like a dog.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 4:27:07 PM
Be funny. Be nice. Be interesting.

But don't be someone you're not or you won't make the friends that are meant for you.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 4:29:49 PM
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 7:53:30 PM
At 3/31/2013 4:27:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:

But don't be someone you're not or you won't make the friends that are meant for you.

I have no problem being myself, but I do have a problem with seeming normal enough for people to like me. I'm nice, funny, and interesting, but it's hard to show people that I care for long periods of time, because that's not really how I am. People like to know that you care about them, but that's hard for me. What do you recommend for that?
"Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics." ~ phantom
NILA11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 7:42:22 AM
one who helps you in need no doubt he is Friends indeed. i am make this sentence to our friends who help me all whose time when i need it.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 7:50:37 AM
The question itself poses a problem. Friendship isn't something composed of parts, and it can't be assembled. So, you can't "make" friends. << This is the daunting part. It seems like a really difficult task when you picture friend "making" like something you need to buckle down and put together chunk by chunk, one large piece at a time. And where to get all the parts?

Don't worry about that. Friendships are grown, not made -- And lucky for you the seeds are plentiful. Every person is a potential friend, so all you have to do is stay open to friendship and a few seeds are bound to take root in you soon enough.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:00:40 PM
At 3/31/2013 7:53:30 PM, My-Self wrote:

I have no problem being myself, but I do have a problem with seeming normal enough for people to like me. I'm nice, funny, and interesting, but it's hard to show people that I care for long periods of time, because that's not really how I am. People like to know that you care about them, but that's hard for me. What do you recommend for that?

Well, I think "who we are" is relative. We are is who we want to be. Do you want to be more caring? If not, then don't worry about it. Wait for people who respect you for that.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
LibertarianWithAVoice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:05:39 PM

Your last sentence tells me to be myself. but that contradicts your earlier three comments.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:10:23 PM
At 4/2/2013 9:05:39 PM, LibertarianWithAVoice wrote:

Your last sentence tells me to be myself. but that contradicts your earlier three comments.

It doesn't. The last sentence is simple advice separated from a strategy for gaining friends. Indeed, some people have unfriendly personalities. So they would need to change to gain friends.

It's also an important point what I said in the last post. We are who we want to be.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
LibertarianWithAVoice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 9:21:27 PM
At 4/2/2013 9:10:23 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/2/2013 9:05:39 PM, LibertarianWithAVoice wrote:

It doesn't. The last sentence is simple advice separated from a strategy for gaining friends. Indeed, some people have unfriendly personalities. So they would need to change to gain friends.

It's also an important point what I said in the last post. We are who we want to be.

Sorry for my poor attempt at a joke. :(
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 11:33:34 PM
How do I make friends?

Lending an ear, giving advice if asked for it, friendly, outgoing, spark up a random conversation, lending a hand, keep a smile on, offer to help if needed help.
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 11:40:50 PM
At 4/6/2013 11:33:34 PM, Sola.Gratia wrote:
How do I make friends?

Lending an ear, giving advice if asked for it, friendly, outgoing, spark up a random conversation, lending a hand, keep a smile on, offer to help if needed help.

All great advice, while we're at it, add a healthy does of humor, finding common interests, remaining open to differing views, non-judgemental, etc.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2013 11:43:34 PM
At 4/6/2013 11:40:50 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 4/6/2013 11:33:34 PM, Sola.Gratia wrote:
How do I make friends?

All great advice, while we're at it, add a healthy does of humor, finding common interests, remaining open to differing views, non-judgemental, etc.

Good points too.. :)
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper