Jump to topic:

Am I over-reacting? (a workplace issue)

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:21:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is in no way a satire, parody, or anything similar to Detectable Ninja's thread by a similar name.

Anyway, I hate my job, and more importantly my boss, so the lens I look through is very bias. I get upset about trivial things, so I am wondering if I have a right to be as upset as I am about the following issue.

I work at a pizza place, and naturally, we have apps for online ordering. Customers may then rate their driver's job performance. (I think this is stupid, but so be it.)

So, on the make-line screen, when there is no food to make, there is a list of everyone who has been rated for all to see. As far as I can tell, it is the average of all feedback over the last month, based on 1-5 stars. It is displayed with the 5 stars at the top and their names, then down the list it goes. However, anyone who has gotten feedback over the last month's name is up there alone with their score. (This does not bother me).

However, during the last system update or whatever, the names have been replaced. The scores/ranks are still there, displayed the same. The names have been replaced with the last four digits of our Social Security numbers. This is what I am upset with.

Am I over-reacting, when I demand the owner contact whoever to get it changed? I know he views it as me complaining yet again, but I think I am justified in my anger. Are the last four digits nothing to get upset about?

I am upset for two reasons:
1. Privacy/sensitive information concerns.
2. What is the point in having a number so no one else will know how the driver is doing? If that is the point of the change, to eliminate the shaming factor, then why not use our employee ID number?
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:24:45 PM
At 4/2/2013 10:21:38 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
This is in no way a satire, parody, or anything similar to Detectable Ninja's thread by a similar name.

Anyway, I hate my job, and more importantly my boss, so the lens I look through is very bias. I get upset about trivial things, so I am wondering if I have a right to be as upset as I am about the following issue.

I work at a pizza place, and naturally, we have apps for online ordering. Customers may then rate their driver's job performance. (I think this is stupid, but so be it.)

So, on the make-line screen, when there is no food to make, there is a list of everyone who has been rated for all to see. As far as I can tell, it is the average of all feedback over the last month, based on 1-5 stars. It is displayed with the 5 stars at the top and their names, then down the list it goes. However, anyone who has gotten feedback over the last month's name is up there alone with their score. (This does not bother me).

However, during the last system update or whatever, the names have been replaced. The scores/ranks are still there, displayed the same. The names have been replaced with the last four digits of our Social Security numbers. This is what I am upset with.

Yeah... that sounds like a violation of your privacy. I might suggest that you consider speaking to an attorney.

Am I over-reacting, when I demand the owner contact whoever to get it changed? I know he views it as me complaining yet again, but I think I am justified in my anger. Are the last four digits nothing to get upset about?

2. What is the point in having a number so no one else will know how the driver is doing? If that is the point of the change, to eliminate the shaming factor, then why not use our employee ID number?
Tsar of DDO
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:26:03 PM
Um- no. You are so justified. I would immediately demand that my private information be taken down. That is unacceptable.

It would be so easy to give everyone a private code number of their choosing, or a nickname of some kind. There is no need whatsoever to put any part of somebody's SSN on display for all to see.

In fact, if they didn't get it fixed, I would go so far as to say that that would be a deal-breaker for me working there. That kind of flippancy about the personal information of employees is totally uncalled for.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
LibertarianWithAVoice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:44:09 PM

Heck no. You are under reacting. If anyone posted my SSN I would immediately get an attorney, tell the manager, owner, corporate boss ( whatever the case may be ) and go down to the social security office to apply for a new card. This is a very serious matter.
LibertarianWithAVoice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:44:54 PM
At 4/2/2013 10:44:09 PM, LibertarianWithAVoice wrote:

Heck no. You are under reacting. If anyone posted my SSN I would immediately get an attorney, tell the manager, owner, corporate boss ( whatever the case may be ) and go down to the social security office to apply for a new card. This is a very serious matter.

sorry "card" was supposed to be number.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:46:54 PM
You are severely under reacting, as others have said.

If they don't comply with changing this, get an attorney, or quit.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:49:53 PM
There's nothing wrong with wanting privacy, and you definitely should bring up the issue, but in my opinion, quitting because of it or bringing the case to court would be overreacting.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:51:59 PM
At 4/2/2013 10:49:53 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
There's nothing wrong with wanting privacy, and you definitely should bring up the issue, but in my opinion, quitting because of it or bringing the case to court would be overreacting.

SSN is not a thing to mess around with, at all. Even if its the last two numbers of a 20 number SSN, it still should NOT be something that is put up for all too see.

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:54:03 PM
This is an unbelievably stupid move on their part, and it shouldn't take more than a strongly worded anonymous letter, with an attorney's business card attached, to remedy it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:55:46 PM
At 4/2/2013 10:51:59 PM, OberHerr wrote:

SSN is not a thing to mess around with, at all. Even if its the last two numbers of a 20 number SSN, it still should NOT be something that is put up for all too see.

That's why the issue should be brought to the manager. It's obvious, and if they have half a brain they'll understand. I meant he shouldn't quit or take the case to court without first consulting the manager.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:56:45 PM
At 4/2/2013 10:55:46 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

That's why the issue should be brought to the manager. It's obvious, and if they have half a brain they'll understand. I meant he shouldn't quit or take the case to court without first consulting the manager.

Oh wait, I didn't read that he already brought the issue to the manager. Yeah, skep's suggestion should work.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:57:31 PM

Well, duh. I was saying that if they refuse he should bring them to court, or quit.

Assuming thats a viable option.

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 10:58:06 PM
At 4/2/2013 10:54:03 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
This is an unbelievably stupid move on their part, and it shouldn't take more than a strongly worded anonymous letter, with an attorney's business card attached, to remedy it.

Not a bad idea.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:00:29 PM
At 4/2/2013 10:57:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Well, duh. I was saying that if they refuse he should bring them to court, or quit.

Assuming thats a viable option.

Yeah, I missed the bit about him voicing the issue already.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:04:44 PM
Basically, to sum up our thoughts, make sure you have an attorney, make sure you voice your objections to whoever is in charge of that sort of thing, and maybe bring up the attorney. Subtly.

And if they refuse, bring 'em to court, or quit.

Hopefully they will just swap it back.

LibertarianWithAVoice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:12:17 PM
To clarify: when I said get an attorney I didn't mean take it to court. I meant it's better to have one ready just in case things turn bad.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 12:29:25 AM
At 4/2/2013 11:04:44 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Basically, to sum up our thoughts, make sure you have an attorney, make sure you voice your objections to whoever is in charge of that sort of thing, and maybe bring up the attorney. Subtly.

And if they refuse, bring 'em to court, or quit.

Hopefully they will just swap it back.

Thanks to all.
I don't know if the following changes anyone's mind, but at least I know I am justified in being upset and thinking it is a big deal (unlike my coworkers).

1. It is not my info, it is all drivers. I am not being singled out.
2. I work for a franchise of a major corporation. The corp mandated we all get the software we use. The issue, I don't think, is with the owner, and if I were to sue, I don't know who I would go after, as the owner is likely not the one who has control.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 12:35:39 AM
You probably won't get your identity stolen from this, but then again that's not a risk they have the right to force you to take.

Lawyer up, bub.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 12:44:16 AM
Youd be surprised how frequently people use the last four numbers of your social security number for trivial matters. And as long as the other 5 digits are protected then there is nothing to worry about too much. Id let it go but thats just me
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 12:50:01 AM
The last 4 SSN numbers are used as an identity pin in hundreds of private dealings from bank accounts to internet service providers. No one should be publicly posting a security pin for any reason.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 12:51:00 AM
Dewd, you guys realize that, in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't all that big of a deal? It's highly improbable that anyone will steal your identity with short of half of your SSN. I mean, if they were posting your credit card number up there with everything that they needed to charge the fvck out of it, you might have a bit of room to get it fixed, but it really isn't that big of a deal. It's like receipts showing the last four digits of whatever debit/credit card was used for that purchase; that's hardly enough for someone to steal your identity with.

I mean, get your panties in a twist if you really want, but don't expect it to get really far.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 12:51:48 AM
At 4/3/2013 12:50:01 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
The last 4 SSN numbers are used as an identity pin in hundreds of private dealings from bank accounts to internet service providers. No one should be publicly posting a security pin for any reason.

Okay, anyone who's stupid enough to use part of their SSN as a pin number deserves to have their identity stolen.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 12:51:59 AM

Exactly. People can get a lot of info on you with just your birthday, full name, and the last four digits of your ssn. They can call up companies you deal with, "I don't have my account number on me, I'm at work."

"Ok, what's your name, birthday, last 4 digits of ssn."

I get that all the time.
:
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 1:11:12 AM
At 4/3/2013 12:44:16 AM, imabench wrote:
Youd be surprised how frequently people use the last four numbers of your social security number for trivial matters. And as long as the other 5 digits are protected then there is nothing to worry about too much. Id let it go but thats just me

If one were so inclined, they could probably narrow it down to just a few choices.
http://stevemorse.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 1:18:11 AM
At 4/3/2013 12:51:00 AM, Zaradi wrote:
Dewd, you guys realize that, in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't all that big of a deal? It's highly improbable that anyone will steal your identity with short of half of your SSN. I mean, if they were posting your credit card number up there with everything that they needed to charge the fvck out of it, you might have a bit of room to get it fixed, but it really isn't that big of a deal. It's like receipts showing the last four digits of whatever debit/credit card was used for that purchase; that's hardly enough for someone to steal your identity with.

I mean, get your panties in a twist if you really want, but don't expect it to get really far.

Actually, having worked in the restaurant industry, I have noticed many patterns with credit cards. They are not as random as people think. For example, the very first digit is 4 for Visa, 5 for MC, 6 for Discover, and 3 for AMEX.

Common number threads in my area are
4761-6400
4323-710 (1-3)

I am inclined to believe that only the last eight of a credit card are truly individual in nature. So, in a way, exposing the last four is giving half of my number away.

As far as SS goes, yeah, the last four are the important numbers. The rest deal with area and timing.
http://stevemorse.org...
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 1:28:35 AM
Credit card numbers are in no way random. I was stunned the first time I had to manually type in someone's card number at work and it was nearly identical to mine. This has happened so many times since that I looked it up and there is a common theme to them. http://www.cardbenefit.com... SSNs work the same way; they look random, except they are not. It's probably not a good thing that part of your SSN is put up on a screen like that, I'd suggest explaining to your manager why that's such a problem. If they don't change it, follow the suggestions about lawyers.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 11:04:08 AM
At 4/3/2013 12:51:48 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Okay, anyone who's stupid enough to use part of their SSN as a pin number deserves to have their identity stolen.

Umm...businesses do this, not the client.....