Jump to topic:

How long can you hold your breath?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 3:48:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just a general question. I made 3 minutes just now. Used to be able to do 4 but I haven't practiced in ages, so I could probably get to 5 if I kept trying. I'm going to keep going and see how far I can get. I went from around 2 minutes to 4 a while ago so I think I could make my goal.

This can be in our out of water.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 3:56:07 PM
At 4/3/2013 3:48:36 PM, phantom wrote:
Just a general question. I made 3 minutes just now. Used to be able to do 4 but I haven't practiced in ages, so I could probably get to 5 if I kept trying. I'm going to keep going and see how far I can get. I went from around 2 minutes to 4 a while ago so I think I could make my goal.

I don't think in water is as easy as out of water. (at least for me)
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 4:00:55 PM
3:12 seconds.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 4:12:51 PM
At 4/3/2013 3:56:07 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

I've heard the opposite. Because water relieves the stress on the body or something. But it probably varies from person to person.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 4:39:01 PM
At 4/3/2013 4:12:51 PM, phantom wrote:

I've heard the opposite. Because water relieves the stress on the body or something. But it probably varies from person to person.

Impossible. I can do a minute out of water max, but in water I can barely keep my breath for 10 seconds... It probably depends on what depth you are.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 4:41:41 PM

Let's find out...

10sec: ok.
20sec: uncomfortable.
30sec: *face turning red*
40sec: *face really red*
50sec: *great discomfort*
60sec: *exceptional discomfort*
70sec: *dies* -jk

About 70 seconds or so.
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 4:43:15 PM
I believe in water is more difficult because of the added pressure on the chest. Colder temperatures also lessen your time.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 5:22:29 PM
At 4/3/2013 4:43:15 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I believe in water is more difficult because of the added pressure on the chest. Colder temperatures also lessen your time.

Those were my initial thoughts, but what would the added pressure change? It might be a bit harder to hold the breath itself, but would that decrease the time so dramatically?
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 5:26:48 PM
At 4/3/2013 4:39:01 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Impossible. I can do a minute out of water max, but in water I can barely keep my breath for 10 seconds... It probably depends on what depth you are.

What 0_o How are you doing it? Maybe you're putting your body in an awkward position or something. I used to do it in the pool all the time and I'm sure I saw no significant difference.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 5:28:10 PM
At 4/3/2013 4:40:49 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I can do a minute out of water, less than a minute in water. How the heck do you do it for 4 minutes?

Did you hyperventilate?
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 5:38:58 PM
At 4/3/2013 5:26:48 PM, phantom wrote:

What 0_o How are you doing it? Maybe you're putting your body in an awkward position or something. I used to do it in the pool all the time and I'm sure I saw no significant difference.

Well, I don't reelly remember. Sometimes I just let myself float on the surface with my face underwater (kinda looks as if I am dead, lol...) And I still cannot keep my breath for more than like, 20 seconds.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 5:39:16 PM
I find it to be easier underwater as well. My max was ~three minutes; I couldn't imagine doing four. My favorite test is to see how many times I can swim from one side of my pool to the other without coming up for a breath.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 5:55:44 PM
67 seconds for me.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 7:16:22 PM
80 seconds.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 7:51:29 PM

When I used to swim competitively many of my team members and I could hold our breath for 3+ minutes. Right now, I could probably make it to 2.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 7:52:15 PM
At 4/3/2013 4:43:15 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I would assume cold temperatures raise your time because the air pressure is higher and so you can fit more oxygen in your lungs.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 8:08:29 PM
At 4/3/2013 5:38:58 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 4/3/2013 5:26:48 PM, phantom wrote:

Well, I don't reelly remember. Sometimes I just let myself float on the surface with my face underwater (kinda looks as if I am dead, lol...) And I still cannot keep my breath for more than like, 20 seconds.

That's way I do it. Doesn't make much of a difference for me in our out.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 2:31:34 PM
Another factor is the position. Lying down is easier than sitting up.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 3:39:48 PM
At 5/20/2013 1:55:22 AM, leojm wrote:
5 minutes. I'm on the swim team,

Damn.

I can hold my breath longer than anyone I know in person: 3 minutes. That was a couple years ago though. I'm not sure now.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 7:48:48 AM
At 5/21/2013 3:39:48 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 5/20/2013 1:55:22 AM, leojm wrote:
5 minutes. I'm on the swim team,

Damn.

I can hold my breath longer than anyone I know in person: 3 minutes. That was a couple years ago though. I'm not sure now.

really? that's awesome. Try it and then you can tell. Yeah 5 minutes is really long, but on the swim team you have to swim under water from one end to the pool to the other, and if you go up to get air you don't win.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 12:40:26 PM
Lol I was going hold my breath then a commercial for oxygen tanks came on on TV and said something like "Do you feel like you are running out of oxygen?" and I burst out laughing.

Ok, going to start again.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 12:44:12 PM
It's easier if I'm competing against someone in person (like I did when I got 3 minutes) because I have extra motivation not to get beat.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 1:03:11 PM
At 5/22/2013 12:40:26 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Lol I was going hold my breath then a commercial for oxygen tanks came on on TV and said something like "Do you feel like you are running out of oxygen?" and I burst out laughing.

Ok, going to start again.

haha, That's funny. It does makes sense, :)
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 1:03:47 PM
At 5/22/2013 12:44:12 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
It's easier if I'm competing against someone in person (like I did when I got 3 minutes) because I have extra motivation not to get beat.

That is easier, it's also a lot of fun. :)