Jump to topic:

Vegatarian

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 8:16:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'v been thinking of going vegatarian for the past month or so. I know there are some vegatarians on here, like cermank and FREEDO, so I come looking for advice from those more experienced.

I'm still living at home, so it would be fairly difficult. If you have any advice towards that situation specifically, it would be much appreciated.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 10:36:26 AM
Change is always nice :-)

A major part of your journey towards becoming a vegetarian would depend on your reason for the shift. Is it moral, religious, or health?

If it is due to health reasons, you CAN include fish, for example, in your meals. You might not need to go complete vegetarian, which, I presume might be a difficult shift. When I tried to go vegan, I started with the small stuff, gradually easing my way out of milk and dairy products. Chocolates, ice creams, and finally milk.

Give yourself a time frame, a month tops, to phase yourself out. Start with something you love, then move on to include almost everything. And eventually everything.

I think what might be helpful is a diet plan, if you dont want to go low on nutrition. Proteins is usually the problem, so stock your fridge with different types of dal. You can get protein powder too, but that's an expensive substitute. Amla is a must. ( Its kind of an acquired taste, but its nice after a while). Milk, sprouts, tossed salad, you can have a lot of fun with it. I ususally have corn flakes/ oats as breakfast, so that's an option. There's actually a lot of variety in a vegetarian diet, as opposed to the popular stereotype.

Lastly, you can always have the soya substitutes if the craving gets too much. Its healthy, and completely veg. And supposedly tastes exactly like meat, although I haven't tasted it, so I don't know.

If the reason for your shift is moral, you might want to be completely sure before attempting.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 11:13:34 AM
At 4/8/2013 10:36:26 AM, Cermank wrote:
Change is always nice :-)

A major part of your journey towards becoming a vegetarian would depend on your reason for the shift. Is it moral, religious, or health?

If it is due to health reasons, you CAN include fish, for example, in your meals. You might not need to go complete vegetarian, which, I presume might be a difficult shift. When I tried to go vegan, I started with the small stuff, gradually easing my way out of milk and dairy products. Chocolates, ice creams, and finally milk.

Give yourself a time frame, a month tops, to phase yourself out. Start with something you love, then move on to include almost everything. And eventually everything.

I think what might be helpful is a diet plan, if you dont want to go low on nutrition. Proteins is usually the problem, so stock your fridge with different types of dal. You can get protein powder too, but that's an expensive substitute. Amla is a must. ( Its kind of an acquired taste, but its nice after a while). Milk, sprouts, tossed salad, you can have a lot of fun with it. I ususally have corn flakes/ oats as breakfast, so that's an option. There's actually a lot of variety in a vegetarian diet, as opposed to the popular stereotype.

Lastly, you can always have the soya substitutes if the craving gets too much. Its healthy, and completely veg. And supposedly tastes exactly like meat, although I haven't tasted it, so I don't know.

If the reason for your shift is moral, you might want to be completely sure before attempting.

It's a bit of the three. Its mostly moral, I feel sick when I think about the suffering involved in raising animals. Its partly health, because I know that a large portion of meat is treated chemically, to allow it to keep its color. And in a small way it is religious, because I have always been interested in the eastern religions, like Buddhism.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 11:14:17 AM
At 4/8/2013 10:42:51 AM, Cermank wrote:
Try some Indian dishes too. They have a lot of vegetarian delicacies. My personal favourite is Dal makhani.

I'll look into that, thanks.

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 11:25:19 AM
There's some pretty good fake meats out there these days, that aren't ridiculously expensive. I can eat almost none of them, since I can't do gluten, but if you can, it's nowhere near as hard as it used to be.

You say you're living at home, though...are you buying your own food?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 11:39:24 AM
What's a vegatarian? Is that like when a vegan and a vegetarian combine to form a super-metrosexual being that doesn't eat anything?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 11:56:05 AM
At 4/8/2013 8:16:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:
I'v been thinking of going vegatarian for the past month or so. I know there are some vegatarians on here, like cermank and FREEDO, so I come looking for advice from those more experienced.

I'm still living at home, so it would be fairly difficult. If you have any advice towards that situation specifically, it would be much appreciated.

I stopped eating meat when I lived at with my mom (around 15). It wasn't difficult for me; I just stopped eating meat and ate more of the plant-based foods she cooked.

My mom didn't mind that much but a lot a parents don't understand that vegetarianism is healthier that meat-based diets. If you think your parents will challange you on your decision, my advice is to learn as much as you can about the health arguments for vegetarianism. The book Becoming Vegan is probably the most comprehensive book on the health aspects of veganism out there. Actually, I think those authors also wrote Becoming Vegetarian, which might be more appropriate for you (though I haven't read that one). Then, if they express concern, you can reassure them that you're making a healthy choice.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 11:57:09 AM
At 4/8/2013 11:25:19 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
There's some pretty good fake meats out there these days, that aren't ridiculously expensive. I can eat almost none of them, since I can't do gluten, but if you can, it's nowhere near as hard as it used to be.

You say you're living at home, though...are you buying your own food?

If I could it wouldn't be an issue. In short, no. Hopefully I'll be getting a job this summer, so that will change.

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 11:57:59 AM
Here is a good beginners website by the way: http://vegankit.com...
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 11:58:20 AM
At 4/8/2013 11:56:05 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 4/8/2013 8:16:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:

I stopped eating meat when I lived at with my mom (around 15). It wasn't difficult for me; I just stopped eating meat and ate more of the plant-based foods she cooked.

My mom didn't mind that much but a lot a parents don't understand that vegetarianism is healthier that meat-based diets. If you think your parents will challange you on your decision, my advice is to learn as much as you can about the health arguments for vegetarianism. The book Becoming Vegan is probably the most comprehensive book on the health aspects of veganism out there. Actually, I think those authors also wrote Becoming Vegetarian, which might be more appropriate for you (though I haven't read that one). Then, if they express concern, you can reassure them that you're making a healthy choice.

My parents would have no issue with it, my sister is a full vegan and has been for years. The only issue is that my mother mostly cooks dishes consisting of meat.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 11:59:13 AM
At 4/8/2013 11:39:24 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
What's a vegatarian? Is that like when a vegan and a vegetarian combine to form a super-metrosexual being that doesn't eat anything?

No, its a guy that misspells vegetarian......

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 12:05:48 PM
At 4/8/2013 11:59:13 AM, muzebreak wrote:

It's okay, I used to be a vegatarian too :)

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 12:09:13 PM
At 4/8/2013 12:05:48 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 4/8/2013 11:59:13 AM, muzebreak wrote:

It's okay, I used to be a vegatarian too :)

lol :)

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 2:06:14 PM
At 4/8/2013 11:13:34 AM, muzebreak wrote:

It's a bit of the three. Its mostly moral, I feel sick when I think about the suffering involved in raising animals. Its partly health, because I know that a large portion of meat is treated chemically, to allow it to keep its color. And in a small way it is religious, because I have always been interested in the eastern religions, like Buddhism.

If you don't want to kill anything (any life), then you could eat free range fruit, eggs, milk, nuts etc. Although there may be suffering, it may not be too healthy, and I don't know if there are any religious consequences.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 2:12:58 PM
At 4/8/2013 2:06:14 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

If you don't want to kill anything (any life), then you could eat free range fruit, eggs, milk, nuts etc. Although there may be suffering, it may not be too healthy, and I don't know if there are any religious consequences.

i try not to eat eggs for ethical reasons...while it's certainly possible for eggs to be ethical (they just poop those things out!!), the egg industry is supplied with chickens by the chick industry. And since chickens are more profitable and wanted than roosters, they throw the vast majority of rooster chicks away. And by "throw away" I mean "put them, alive, into a meat grinder to mix in with livestock feed". Also the chickens are pretty badly abused, too, but man, alive into a meat grinder? Don't even have the decency to whack 'em with a hammer or anything...
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 2:18:34 PM
At 4/8/2013 2:12:58 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 4/8/2013 2:06:14 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

i try not to eat eggs for ethical reasons...while it's certainly possible for eggs to be ethical (they just poop those things out!!), the egg industry is supplied with chickens by the chick industry. And since chickens are more profitable and wanted than roosters, they throw the vast majority of rooster chicks away. And by "throw away" I mean "put them, alive, into a meat grinder to mix in with livestock feed". Also the chickens are pretty badly abused, too, but man, alive into a meat grinder? Don't even have the decency to whack 'em with a hammer or anything...

. :(

Oh and honey... lol
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:11:39 PM
If anyone lives in a rural area, seriously consider raising your own laying hens. It really is absurdly easy, they're entertaining, and six of them provide us with enough eggs to hand out to at least four other families. The taste is incomparable as well; those yellow store-bought eggs taste like bland sponges by comparison.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:16:55 PM
The first time I ate a vegetarian was four years ago. They were the greatest thing I'd ever tasted.
I welcome more prey entering my food chain.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:19:01 PM
At 4/8/2013 5:11:39 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
If anyone lives in a rural area, seriously consider raising your own laying hens. It really is absurdly easy, they're entertaining, and six of them provide us with enough eggs to hand out to at least four other families. The taste is incomparable as well; those yellow store-bought eggs taste like bland sponges by comparison.

If I had enough yard, I would be doing this. Stupid "laws". 50 ft away from dwelling..pah!
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:19:57 PM
At 4/8/2013 5:16:55 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
The first time I ate a vegetarian was four years ago. They were the greatest thing I'd ever tasted.
I welcome more prey entering my food chain.

Maybe I should try farming them. Battery farming probably as I don't have a great deal of space.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:24:36 PM
I think this thread deserve an award for 'most derailed'. It went from being about vegetarianism, to being about egg farming and cannibalism.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:25:52 PM
It's hard.

The average vegetarian lasts no more than 2 years. I'm going on 3 now.

You may want to start as a pescetarian first. Allowing fish.

I suggest looking for Amy's meals. I don't know if they're everywhere but I have them here in most grocery stores. They are organic vegetarian and all delicious.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 5:38:00 PM
I understand vegetarianism but here's a snippet I found

"Meat -- a cut of lean beef, let's say -- is not just a complete protein (unlike soy products, for example, which need to be combined with supplemental proteins to be considered "complete"). It's loaded with other healthful goodies, including high levels of: iron; B vitamins like niacin and riboflavin that provide healthy skin and nerves as well as help digestion and maintain good vision; selenium, which works as an antioxidant with vitamin E to protect from heart disease and other health problems; phosphorus, which helps regulate metabolism, among other things; and its the most abundant food source of zinc, an essential mineral that helps build muscle and heal wounds."

http://www.opposingviews.com...
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:15:59 PM
At 4/8/2013 5:38:00 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
I understand vegetarianism but here's a snippet I found

"Meat -- a cut of lean beef, let's say -- is not just a complete protein (unlike soy products, for example, which need to be combined with supplemental proteins to be considered "complete").

Soy, along with several other plant-based foods, is a complete protein. The quality of soy protein is comparable to egg, which is considered the gold standard of protein quality.

http://www.livestrong.com...

It's loaded with other healthful goodies, including high levels of: iron; B vitamins like niacin and riboflavin that provide healthy skin and nerves as well as help digestion and maintain good vision; selenium, which works as an antioxidant with vitamin E to protect from heart disease and other health problems; phosphorus, which helps regulate metabolism, among other things; and its the most abundant food source of zinc, an essential mineral that helps build muscle and heal wounds."

All these vitamins and minerals are abundant in plant-based foods.

What can't be found in plant-based foods is cholesterol. Saturated fat and carnitine are extremely rare in plants. These compounds are major risk factors in heart disease and cancer - diseases that kill the most people in affluent countries.

Vegetarians live longer than meat eaters:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

There is absolutely no need to eat meat. There is a need to refrain from meat if one wants to ensure the greatest longevity and freedom from disease for oneself .

http://www.opposingviews.com...

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:25:38 PM
ehh I don't really see the difference
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:26:16 PM
At 4/8/2013 6:25:38 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
ehh I don't really see the difference

I mean I don't see the big deal about it
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2013 6:37:08 PM
At 4/8/2013 5:19:01 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 4/8/2013 5:11:39 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

If I had enough yard, I would be doing this. Stupid "laws". 50 ft away from dwelling..pah!

It's a bit obscene to be prohibited from raising a few chickens in the supposed 'land of the free'.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -