Jump to topic:

Social Work

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 1:13:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do you ever volunteer your time for needy causes? Do you donate to charity? Feel free to brag about it here. It's something to pride yourself on. I haven't done nearly as much as I would like to.

What are the best ways you think people can try to make the world a better place with their direct action? So leaving out anything too political.

I think we really need to work on inspiring each other to actually getting up and doing something like this.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 2:00:38 PM
One must be careful when bragging about charitable acts... As an environmentalist, my work is pretty much confined to that area. I use it for resume-filler, which sort of detracts from the charity of it all because my ends are ultimately selfish and worldly, as opposed to simply doing the deed for the sake of helping people. I'm currently helping Trout Unlimited, and I've volunteered at the planning commission in my town as well as the museum. It's actually quite a sparse list for someone my age, and it's shameful that I can't list a dozen or more things since I've had the time and energy in my life to donate... I simply haven't chosen to use it helping other people.

If I were Tyler Durden, and you were all my Fight Club followers, I would give you all a homework assignment: take some money out of your wallet, give it to someone who needs it, and walk away without taking credit (if it's someone you know, it won't work because it will necessarily reciprocate back to you). Don't brag and try to make yourself look noble; don't tell all your friends, don't create a DDO post about it, don't tell your girlfriend who you're trying to sleep with - just do it and forget it happened. If you can't understand why, then that's all the more reason you ought to try.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 4:09:45 PM
Everything a person does is selfish. We do good to feel good about ourselves. And that's a good thing. Otherwise, no one would do it. So teaching humility in this area is actually a disincentive to do good.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 4:14:05 PM
At 4/15/2013 4:11:27 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I feel good about not disclosing my acts of charity.

The proper response.

It's still a disincentive though.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 9:34:49 PM
I used to go help with bingo in the nursing home every Wednesday. I'd go help out all the other volunteers and we'd take everyone willing down to the cafeteria (they were nearly all on wheelchairs), set up the game, and play with them. I miss some of them, tbh. There was one lady who was my favorite, she was only 60-ish and had this weird wheelchair that was incredibly difficult to steer and she needed quite a bit of help to play Bingo even with the really large board and markers, but she was so nice. And there were these other ladies that acted just like they were younger people going out for coffee or drinks or something, nevermind the wheelchairs and grey hair. They were hilarious. It was a great experience for both me and the people in the nursing home, and I'd definitely suggest it to anyone with the free time.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 10:18:55 PM
At 4/15/2013 4:09:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Everything a person does is selfish. We do good to feel good about ourselves. And that's a good thing. Otherwise, no one would do it. So teaching humility in this area is actually a disincentive to do good.

Very true, reminds me of that line from Gordon Gecko. 'Greed is good, Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.'

Disregard the fact that he's a villain and such you've got a point, if people didn't feel charity work was in some way a benefit to themselves they wouldn't do it.
It really can't be put into words but you're connected to the people you're helping and you're in turn helping yourself.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 11:06:23 PM
At 4/15/2013 10:18:55 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/15/2013 4:09:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Very true, reminds me of that line from Gordon Gecko. 'Greed is good, Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.'

Disregard the fact that he's a villain and such you've got a point, if people didn't feel charity work was in some way a benefit to themselves they wouldn't do it.
It really can't be put into words but you're connected to the people you're helping and you're in turn helping yourself.

I always thought Gordon Gekko was the hero of the movie, and the labor unions were the villian. It was about a hard-working true american in which his american dream was stolen by the evil, selfish unions.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 5:43:40 AM
There's nothing wrong with taking credit for volunteer work or letting people know about it. I volunteer a lot so when people ask me "what do you do?" what I do is not simply what I'm paid to do. If you're a stay-at-home parent, telling people about it doesn't make it selfish, does it? People talk about what they do all the time, I don't see why charity should be exempt from this.
yang.