Jump to topic:

Should people be overprotective of themselves

Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 5:30:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I find myself always warring with my feelings and emotions because I do not want to get attached to anybody. I don't believe that is biblical of me to do, but i just think being protective of my inner self is necessary to prevent any drama or heartache. This is something I've been dealing with for a while now.
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 5:48:59 PM
At 4/16/2013 5:30:21 PM, Sola.Gratia wrote:
I find myself always warring with my feelings and emotions because I do not want to get attached to anybody. I don't believe that is biblical of me to do, but i just think being protective of my inner self is necessary to prevent any drama or heartache. This is something I've been dealing with for a while now.

You may think by shutting out people and preventing them from getting too close you are preventing yourself drama and heartache. You're really not. You're just switching types of drama and heartache for another.

Rather than have the drama of people, you instead are choosing the drama, and turmoil of having noone, beyond probably familt, and though it may seem to you the same, its not. To be able to talk about whats troubling you, laugh, cry, with somebody who isnt family, thats something to cherish and seek out. There's little in life more special than having people in your life, that even though they have no obligation or relation to you, still want to do all those things with you. Its a great boost to confidence and self-worth.

Rather than habe the heartache of being hurt and dissapointed by others, your trading it for the heartache of being alone. To not have someone to share lifes experienced with. Most everything is better with other people around. The best memories, are made by other people, not what you happen to be doing, in my humble opinion.

You really arent escaping drama and heartache at all. Merely fooling yourself into thinking the latter is more preferable than the former.

"Life is all about risks and it requires you to jump. Dont be the person who has to look back and wonder what they would have, or could have had/done. Nothing and nobody waits forever."

- Unknown
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 5:59:23 PM
At 4/16/2013 5:48:59 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 4/16/2013 5:30:21 PM, Sola.Gratia wrote:

You may think by shutting out people and preventing them from getting too close you are preventing yourself drama and heartache. You're really not. You're just switching types of drama and heartache for another.

Rather than have the drama of people, you instead are choosing the drama, and turmoil of having noone, beyond probably familt, and though it may seem to you the same, its not. To be able to talk about whats troubling you, laugh, cry, with somebody who isnt family, thats something to cherish and seek out. There's little in life more special than having people in your life, that even though they have no obligation or relation to you, still want to do all those things with you. Its a great boost to confidence and self-worth.

Rather than habe the heartache of being hurt and dissapointed by others, your trading it for the heartache of being alone. To not have someone to share lifes experienced with. Most everything is better with other people around. The best memories, are made by other people, not what you happen to be doing, in my humble opinion.

You really arent escaping drama and heartache at all. Merely fooling yourself into thinking the latter is more preferable than the former.

"Life is all about risks and it requires you to jump. Dont be the person who has to look back and wonder what they would have, or could have had/done. Nothing and nobody waits forever."

- Unknown

I see your point.. and at most times I do feel alone..
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 6:16:09 PM
I've found that the best solution is to restrict association instead of eliminating it. Have a few very close friends instead of dozens of acquaintances.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 6:29:17 PM
At 4/16/2013 6:16:09 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I've found that the best solution is to restrict association instead of eliminating it. Have a few very close friends instead of dozens of acquaintances.

Believe it or not.. I've actually been doing that.. Its helpful when I'm willing to open u my mouth and talk.. Thanks :)