Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Need to vent.

FrackJack
Posts: 1,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 9:11:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I had to debate in my English class today. I was debating Nuclear Proliferation, and my opponent dodged my view points and just repeated his arguments('nukes are bad') over and over, and he won the debate. Lost faith in mankind.
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
inferno
Posts: 11,284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 9:12:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2013 9:11:31 AM, FrackJack wrote:
I had to debate in my English class today. I was debating Nuclear Proliferation, and my opponent dodged my view points and just repeated his arguments('nukes are bad') over and over, and he won the debate. Lost faith in mankind.

Need to vent. This sounds like something a female would say. =)
YYW
Posts: 42,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 9:23:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2013 9:11:31 AM, FrackJack wrote:
I had to debate in my English class today. I was debating Nuclear Proliferation, and my opponent dodged my view points and just repeated his arguments('nukes are bad') over and over, and he won the debate. Lost faith in mankind.

What was your argument?
Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 9:53:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sounds legit. He was concentrating on the pathos, and did a more effective job at stirring up the emotions that surround having weapons that can destroy a city than you did using the logos. You probably would be just as frustrated if a nuclear physicist (ethos), dodged all your points and just said you were wrong...
AKA
Rob1billion
Rob1_Billion
Caramel
Lasagna
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,281
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 10:34:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well he couldn't have kept saying "nukes are bad" there was probably more to it than that.

And in a class (highschool I'm assuming?) it is probably hard to get your peers to understand how MORE nukes would be a good thing.

Some people just don't see it that way.
The wise have eyes in their heads, while the fool walks in the darkness; but I came to realizethat the same fate overtakes them both.
Then I said to myself,
"The fate of the fool will overtake me also.
What then do I gain by being wise?"
I said to myself, "This too is meaningless."
For the wise, like the fool, will not be long remembered;
the days have already come when both have been forgotten.
Like the fool, the wise too must die!
- Ecclesiastes 2:14-16
FrackJack
Posts: 1,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 10:54:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2013 10:34:18 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Well he couldn't have kept saying "nukes are bad" there was probably more to it than that.

And in a class (highschool I'm assuming?) it is probably hard to get your peers to understand how MORE nukes would be a good thing.

Some people just don't see it that way.

Yeah. I said that more nukes would even the playing field and make for more peace.
I also said that Nukes and nuclear reactors are a fine source of energy and that it's next to impossible to regulate nukes. He just keep repeating his regulation bit.
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,281
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 10:56:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2013 10:54:10 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 4/18/2013 10:34:18 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Well he couldn't have kept saying "nukes are bad" there was probably more to it than that.

And in a class (highschool I'm assuming?) it is probably hard to get your peers to understand how MORE nukes would be a good thing.

Some people just don't see it that way.

Yeah. I said that more nukes would even the playing field and make for more peace.
I also said that Nukes and nuclear reactors are a fine source of energy and that it's next to impossible to regulate nukes. He just keep repeating his regulation bit.

You needed to sell the even playing field better. You probably should have given an allegorical example and described like the Cold War or something. I don't know but high schoolers are stupid to be sure. (No offence, you seem perfectly intelligent)
The wise have eyes in their heads, while the fool walks in the darkness; but I came to realizethat the same fate overtakes them both.
Then I said to myself,
"The fate of the fool will overtake me also.
What then do I gain by being wise?"
I said to myself, "This too is meaningless."
For the wise, like the fool, will not be long remembered;
the days have already come when both have been forgotten.
Like the fool, the wise too must die!
- Ecclesiastes 2:14-16
FrackJack
Posts: 1,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 10:56:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2013 10:56:01 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/18/2013 10:54:10 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 4/18/2013 10:34:18 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Well he couldn't have kept saying "nukes are bad" there was probably more to it than that.

And in a class (highschool I'm assuming?) it is probably hard to get your peers to understand how MORE nukes would be a good thing.

Some people just don't see it that way.

Yeah. I said that more nukes would even the playing field and make for more peace.
I also said that Nukes and nuclear reactors are a fine source of energy and that it's next to impossible to regulate nukes. He just keep repeating his regulation bit.

You needed to sell the even playing field better. You probably should have given an allegorical example and described like the Cold War or something. I don't know but high schoolers are stupid to be sure. (No offence, you seem perfectly intelligent)

I did.
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,069
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 10:58:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Proponents of complete nuclear disarmament of all countries are ignorant.
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
FrackJack
Posts: 1,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:01:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2013 10:58:50 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Proponents of complete nuclear disarmament of all countries are ignorant.

This I agree.
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
TUF
Posts: 22,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:10:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Maybe you focused too.much on the debate part while your opponent focused on the speech part. While your points may have been more valid than his and contained logic, maybe his appealed to the audience more in a way they could understand. Try making your same arguments, but appealing them more towards the audience Such they understand how his points are invalid, and explain to them in detail how the argument not being refuted is important to your side of the debate.
We all go a little mad sometimes.

Dresden Files Claimslist: https://docs.google.com...
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,069
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:14:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Your probably lost because your opponent's position sounds the most reasonable to someone who hasn't put much thought into the issue.
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,069
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:16:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:14:58 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Your probably lost because your opponent's position sounds the most reasonable to someone who hasn't put much thought into the issue.

You*
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
FrackJack
Posts: 1,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:28:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:14:58 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Your probably lost because your opponent's position sounds the most reasonable to someone who hasn't put much thought into the issue.

Dammit. How do I argue against someone who doesn't use their brain?
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
dylancatlow
Posts: 13,069
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:30:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:28:33 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:14:58 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Your probably lost because your opponent's position sounds the most reasonable to someone who hasn't put much thought into the issue.

Dammit. How do I argue against someone who doesn't use their brain?

Unfortunately, you can't use logic and reasoning to persuade someone to use logic and reasoning.
"In case anyone hasn't noticed it, the West is in extremis. The undertaker is checking his watch at the foot of its bed, and there's a sinister kettle of croaking, money-feathered vultures on the roof."
FrackJack
Posts: 1,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 11:31:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2013 11:30:25 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:28:33 AM, FrackJack wrote:
At 4/18/2013 11:14:58 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Your probably lost because your opponent's position sounds the most reasonable to someone who hasn't put much thought into the issue.

Dammit. How do I argue against someone who doesn't use their brain?

Unfortunately, you can't use logic and reasoning to persuade someone to use logic and reasoning.

lol.
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...