Jump to topic:

insomnia

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:24:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is there anyone else here who gets up early (Before 8:00 am) and almost never goes to sleep until 2:00 am or later? I don't consider it insomnia as this has been my sleeping pattern for well over 35 years. I will however every so often "Once every other month) sleep in on a saturday or sunday till maby 11:00 am.

Any medical people out there think this is bad for ones health.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 10:30:45 PM
At 4/20/2013 10:24:40 PM, sadolite wrote:
Is there anyone else here who gets up early (Before 8:00 am) and almost never goes to sleep until 2:00 am or later? I don't consider it insomnia as this has been my sleeping pattern for well over 35 years. I will however every so often "Once every other month) sleep in on a saturday or sunday till maby 11:00 am.

This has pretty much been my schedule for awhile now. I'm up by 7, and I tend to get to bed around 2-3am during the week. On the weekends I tend to sleep late if I don't have plans or work to do.

This isn't insomnia though, if I went to lay down at midnight, or 9pm or 10pm, I would fall asleep then. There is an important distinction to make here. If you simply are busy and doing stuff this late into the night and you feel like you are getting enough sleep (5 hours at least is important for anyone over around 25...Closer to 7-8 hours for anyone under) then it isn't really a problem. If you however cannot fall asleep, even if you try before 2am, then I would suggest seeing a doctor.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 9:25:40 PM
At 4/20/2013 10:24:40 PM, sadolite wrote:

I have always had sleeping difficulties, but I don't usually have to be awake before 9:00 AM or so. I usually go to bed around 2:00 or 3:00 AM.
Tsar of DDO
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 9:28:15 PM
That's very mild insomnia. Just mold these tips to your life and you'll be fine: http://www.wikihow.com...

I have real insomnia. I stay up for about 30 hours straight, then I sleep for 12 hours.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 9:31:28 PM
At 4/21/2013 9:28:15 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
That's very mild insomnia. Just mold these tips to your life and you'll be fine: http://www.wikihow.com...

I have real insomnia. I stay up for about 30 hours straight, then I sleep for 12 hours.

I did that with regularity before I got an Ambien prescription.
Tsar of DDO
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 9:37:16 PM
At 4/21/2013 9:31:28 PM, YYW wrote:

Are there any downsides you experience with Ambien?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 9:51:14 PM
My uninformed opinion would be that everyone should spend a full third of their day unconscious and letting their minds and bodies recuperate. It is my opinion that less than a third of our day in bed creates stress on the mind and body and ages us fast, and if someone is my age and has had a life where they have continually missed sleep I can see it in their face. They have a strung-out look to them because they haven't taken care of themselves. I used to think that it was because of drugs and alcohol that people looked like this, but it suddenly hit me recently that this correlation was not correct; the reason why druggies look strung-out later in life isn't because the drugs destroyed their bodies, it's because druggies and alcoholics pull all-nighters whenever they use. People seem to think that sleeping is a fad or something that can be adhered to or not based on personal preference. Good luck with that ;)
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 9:51:20 PM
At 4/21/2013 9:37:16 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

No, as long as you use it as directed. I know of people who mixed it with alcohol and went sleep walking because of it, but I have never mixed it with anything. (Mixing rx drugs and alcohol is idiotic anyway.) I take 10mg/night and it works pretty well. It doesn't work if I take it on a full stomach, but usually once I take it I go to sleep in about 20 minutes or so. Before I took it, I couldn't stop thinking at night; at the risk of sounding like Charlie Sheen, I just couldn't turn my brain off. Now, I have no problem. It's really something that has helped me considerably. I do only sleep about 6hrs with it though at a time, and then wake up -but I usually take two hours in the morning to read the paper and drink my coffee. I am not a morning person by any measure, but I do sleep pretty well now.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 9:56:51 PM
At 4/21/2013 9:51:14 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
My uninformed opinion would be that everyone should spend a full third of their day unconscious and letting their minds and bodies recuperate. It is my opinion that less than a third of our day in bed creates stress on the mind and body and ages us fast, and if someone is my age and has had a life where they have continually missed sleep I can see it in their face. They have a strung-out look to them because they haven't taken care of themselves. I used to think that it was because of drugs and alcohol that people looked like this, but it suddenly hit me recently that this correlation was not correct; the reason why druggies look strung-out later in life isn't because the drugs destroyed their bodies, it's because druggies and alcoholics pull all-nighters whenever they use. People seem to think that sleeping is a fad or something that can be adhered to or not based on personal preference. Good luck with that ;)

Do you regularly fraternize with alcoholics and drug addicts?
Tsar of DDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:09:22 PM
At 4/21/2013 9:56:51 PM, YYW wrote:

Definitely. One random example would be my former roommate, who became a crack-head about a year after we moved in together. I left for work one night and they were up smoking crack, I came home, went to bed, got up and they were still smoking crack. I went to work, came home, went to bed, got up, and still there. Went to work, came home, went to bed, got up, and after about 3 days of it I was like "OK guys you really got to go, it's been 3 days and you've been in my apartment smoking crack the whole time without stopping." They were surprised to hear my estimate of the time it took, and apologized because they thought it was only a day or so and then finally left. I don't know how long they would have been there if I hadn't complained, but the point is that I doubt the crack did as much damage as their prolonged sleepless state. I broke the lease shortly after, FYI.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:12:15 PM
At 4/21/2013 10:09:22 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 4/21/2013 9:56:51 PM, YYW wrote:

Definitely. One random example would be my former roommate, who became a crack-head about a year after we moved in together. I left for work one night and they were up smoking crack, I came home, went to bed, got up and they were still smoking crack.

That sounds like a rap song. lol

I went to work, came home, went to bed, got up, and still there. Went to work, came home, went to bed, got up, and after about 3 days of it I was like "OK guys you really got to go, it's been 3 days and you've been in my apartment smoking crack the whole time without stopping."

I have never actually seen anyone smoke crack, but that's interesting.

They were surprised to hear my estimate of the time it took, and apologized because they thought it was only a day or so and then finally left. I don't know how long they would have been there if I hadn't complained, but the point is that I doubt the crack did as much damage as their prolonged sleepless state. I broke the lease shortly after, FYI.

Wow. I can't say that I blame you.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:16:51 PM

I haven't personally taken Ambien (or it's generic Zolpidem) but I'm pretty familiar with the medication.

Many common side effects include drowsiness, dizziness and feeling light-headed. Headaches, nausea, and digestive issues are also not uncommon.

For most people the drug is well tolerated in proper doses.

However in your case, I strongly suggest you seek out the root cause of your insomnia. While sleep-aid medications are a valuable tool for those who wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise, as a young, and I assume healthy individual otherwise, you should seriously consider a solution not involving drugs.

Any medication of this sort may become addictive.

Either way if you are interested in seeking a medication solution to the issue, speak with your doctor before taking Ambian or any other prescription medication.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:25:27 PM
At 4/21/2013 10:16:51 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I haven't personally taken Ambien (or it's generic Zolpidem) but I'm pretty familiar with the medication.

Many common side effects include drowsiness, dizziness and feeling light-headed. Headaches, nausea, and digestive issues are also not uncommon.

However in your case, I strongly suggest you seek out the root cause of your insomnia. While sleep-aid medications are a valuable tool for those who wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise, as a young, and I assume healthy individual otherwise, you should seriously consider a solution not involving drugs.

Either way if you are interested in seeking a medication solution to the issue, speak with your doctor before taking Ambian or any other prescription medication.

All of that is correct, but I just want to say that Ambien gets a lot of bad talk in the press and the reason why is because people don't take it properly. As long as it is properly taken (as administered by a general practitioner) side effects are pretty uncommon.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:36:29 PM
At 4/21/2013 10:25:27 PM, YYW wrote:
At 4/21/2013 10:16:51 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

All of that is correct, but I just want to say that Ambien gets a lot of bad talk in the press and the reason why is because people don't take it properly. As long as it is properly taken (as administered by a general practitioner) side effects are pretty uncommon.

I don't read much about prescription medication opinions outside of medical journals and pharmacy publications, so I'm not sure about a lot of what the press has said about it. But like most things of this sort, I imagine they have over-hyped a couple examples of people using it improperly, as you said.

Ambien is a safe drug and the people who use it properly appreciate what it does for them. It helps them get more and better sleep, dramatically increasing their quality of life. I've talked to many people who have taken it and the side effects are indeed rare. Many of these individuals are addicted to the medication though, and without it do feel as though they wont be able to function.

As you said, the most important thing is to always have a doctor evaluate if an individual should be taking it. Only then can it be taken properly.
Debate.org Moderator
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 2:18:14 PM
I've battled insomnia all my life, and in my 20's it became dangerous, and I started using alcohol to put me out, and that proved to be a disaster, along with other drugs that I've tried over the years. My pattern is that I will lose less and less sleep until I'm just awake of a sort, for days, and I start going a little crazy, and get desperate. I've been taking Seroquel for a while now, and it seems to have solved the sleep issue incredibly well, but I it has a terrible side effect of weight gain. Honestly it was worth the trade to get a good nights sleep. I also have crazy hours where I go to bed incredibly early, then wake up around 3:30 AM and start working, then go to the gym etc. It seems to have worked.

Stay away from Ambien - horribly addictive, and the side effects is anxiety that's just awful.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 4:12:27 PM
At 4/24/2013 2:18:14 PM, innomen wrote:
I've battled insomnia all my life, and in my 20's it became dangerous, and I started using alcohol to put me out, and that proved to be a disaster, along with other drugs that I've tried over the years. My pattern is that I will lose less and less sleep until I'm just awake of a sort, for days, and I start going a little crazy, and get desperate. I've been taking Seroquel for a while now, and it seems to have solved the sleep issue incredibly well, but I it has a terrible side effect of weight gain. Honestly it was worth the trade to get a good nights sleep. I also have crazy hours where I go to bed incredibly early, then wake up around 3:30 AM and start working, then go to the gym etc. It seems to have worked.

Stay away from Ambien - horribly addictive, and the side effects is anxiety that's just awful.

9 nights out of 10 ambien works brilliantly for me. Last night was a different story, though.

That established, the side effects of any prescription medication, if they occur, are one of many reasons why use should be monitored by a general practitioner.
Tsar of DDO