Jump to topic:

Your successful routines and habits

Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 11:44:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Research into various social sciences such as psychology and sub disciplines like memory retention, along with knowledge garnered through sheer experience have convinced me that the establishment of routines is beneficial. Good habits and routines make a powerful difference. One might be inspired to learn something; they might up and research for 3 hours if they really were into it. Yet then the inspiration fades, forgetfulness seeps in and they don't return to the area. Contrast this with 45 / day for a week. Aside from the number of ideas one can absorb at once, the second system disciplines somebody into spending more time on learning or something which is considered desirable.

Given the people on DDO, I suspect that there are some very useful routines and habits that people engage in - habits that we could learn from. What are some of the habits you're most grateful for? How do you spend your day? What routines do you follow? And finally, which routines are your most productive / carry the most benefit?

A few examples from my typical school day:

Going to and from school allows me to engage in an hour's reading on the train and bus, which can enable me to read at least 40 books a year. The time spent walking to and from school (after alighting from public transport) is nearly half an hour. These daily routines are things that I'm happy for - the force of necessity gives me a little bit of reading and a dash of exercise. On a weekly basis I choose to engage in an intense 2 hour fitness session (within school time) ; this is beneficial for a variety of reasons.

Outside of the school day is where establishing routines becomes more important as the day is otherwise not scheduled. Leisure time should be used productively; we ought to be active, not passive in our pursuits most of the time. I fill a typical school week with mock trial work, chess and debating (on a tri-weekly basis) outside school hours, yet school related. There's also work, and weekly habits like cooking a new meal each week that can make otherwise idle time more productive.

That's just a dash of my attempts to use my time well, but I'm not that capable. That's why this thread exists - the experience of peers can help in improving. I'm sure many of you are far more productive and capable than I, and often due to routines and habits.

So, how does your typical day go? What daily, weekly, quarterly and yearly goals, routines and habits do you engage in?
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 12:04:00 AM
I think more than anything else, showering every day is a good routine. I also eat every day. Beyond that, I have mostly bad habits.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 12:05:52 AM
I go hiking nearly every day. I'm out in the middle of nowhere. It's very good for clearing the mind. It's where I have most of my best ideas.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 12:47:52 AM
At 4/24/2013 12:05:52 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I go hiking nearly every day. I'm out in the middle of nowhere. It's very good for clearing the mind. It's where I have most of my best ideas.

That's pretty cool and a great idea.. Only if I lived near a open space land I'd walk through it everyday if I could. .. Open space with creation is very beautiful eye catching and yes a great way to just clear your mind.
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 12:51:43 AM
At 4/21/2013 11:44:52 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
Research into various social sciences such as psychology and sub disciplines like memory retention, along with knowledge garnered through sheer experience have convinced me that the establishment of routines is beneficial. Good habits and routines make a powerful difference. One might be inspired to learn something; they might up and research for 3 hours if they really were into it. Yet then the inspiration fades, forgetfulness seeps in and they don't return to the area. Contrast this with 45 / day for a week. Aside from the number of ideas one can absorb at once, the second system disciplines somebody into spending more time on learning or something which is considered desirable.

Given the people on DDO, I suspect that there are some very useful routines and habits that people engage in - habits that we could learn from. What are some of the habits you're most grateful for? How do you spend your day? What routines do you follow? And finally, which routines are your most productive / carry the most benefit?

A few examples from my typical school day:

Going to and from school allows me to engage in an hour's reading on the train and bus, which can enable me to read at least 40 books a year. The time spent walking to and from school (after alighting from public transport) is nearly half an hour. These daily routines are things that I'm happy for - the force of necessity gives me a little bit of reading and a dash of exercise. On a weekly basis I choose to engage in an intense 2 hour fitness session (within school time) ; this is beneficial for a variety of reasons.

Outside of the school day is where establishing routines becomes more important as the day is otherwise not scheduled. Leisure time should be used productively; we ought to be active, not passive in our pursuits most of the time. I fill a typical school week with mock trial work, chess and debating (on a tri-weekly basis) outside school hours, yet school related. There's also work, and weekly habits like cooking a new meal each week that can make otherwise idle time more productive.

That's just a dash of my attempts to use my time well, but I'm not that capable. That's why this thread exists - the experience of peers can help in improving. I'm sure many of you are far more productive and capable than I, and often due to routines and habits.

So, how does your typical day go? What daily, weekly, quarterly and yearly goals, routines and habits do you engage in?

Walks to and from school alone.. Help my parents take care of my 15 biological siblings.. That's daily weekly and yearly routine.. Habits Im not sure what habits I engage in most?..
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 1:01:42 AM
This pretty much sums up what I do in my day-to-day life.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 1:08:48 AM
Also, I physiologically cannot write without doing this.

I feel this habit has contributed immensely to my successes.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.