Jump to topic:

Internet fiction.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2013 10:20:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Post your favorite fiction you've found on the web, whether it be sci/fi, romance, tragedy, comedy, pure ridiculous escapism, or choose-your-own-adventure type interactive stories. I'm trying to find other stories people have found or written themselves. It's all good, as long as it isn't cliched, long-winded, has bad prose, or can't be read entirely on the internet.

Mine:

http://qntm.org...: The best science fiction I've ever read, without question. The story length varies, but you can't finish one of them without having your imagination completely taken off guard. The writer explores deep philosophical and scientific scenarios and has established a small cult following on his blog. It may be hard science fiction, but it's very easy to read and doesn't require anything but good logic skills to understand.

http://yudkowsky.net...: More hard science fiction. Yudkowsky is aiming for a wide audience, so the actual writing, like the previous entry, is easy to understand and follow for laymen. Some of these stories are quick bits of philosophical and/or funny material, but some of them are very long (his Harry Potter fanfic could have been published as an entire book and it is still in the process of being written). Three Worlds Collide, in which we meet aliens who have radically different values, is one of the classics, but Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality completely overturns your previous worldview of science and rationality, showing you what would have happened had Harry Potter been a genius. People have (without exaggeration), changed their lives and dedicated themselves to rationality after reading this. Just be careful- Yudkowsky has strong opinions about certain issues (e.g. transhumanism, Many-worlds interpretation) and some of his positions should be taken with a grain of salt.

Only two websites?! I seriously thought I had more. No wonder I'm desperate to find something else.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2013 9:57:16 PM
I thought this would have generated more interest than zero.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 10:35:12 PM
I wish I had something to add to this; instead, I'm just keeping tabs on this thread for others' submissions. Internet fiction conjures, at once, positive and negative emotions for me.

On the one hand, I'm always happy to see enthusiastic writers sharing their works. But on the other, it saddens me to think many of them couldn't get their works published any other way.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 10:37:51 PM
At 5/5/2013 10:35:12 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
I wish I had something to add to this; instead, I'm just keeping tabs on this thread for others' submissions. Internet fiction conjures, at once, positive and negative emotions for me.

On the one hand, I'm always happy to see enthusiastic writers sharing their works. But on the other, it saddens me to think many of them couldn't get their works published any other way.

That said, I know very little about publishing one's work online and it would amend any negative outlook I have on the subject to know the authors were receiving some recognition and royalties.