Jump to topic:

I no longer believe in God

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 6:11:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Be careful of the choices you make. You seem to be pretty easy with this, but it could either mean something infinitely bad, or nothing at all.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 10:28:17 AM
At 5/12/2013 2:51:01 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Funny how thing turn out, right?

"I no longer believe in God' You never did.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 4:59:50 PM

May I ask why?
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 8:00:39 PM
At 5/12/2013 6:11:50 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Be careful of the choices you make. You seem to be pretty easy with this, but it could either mean something infinitely bad, or nothing at all.

It could mean that he now has 1 more hour on Sunday due to not attending a Church anymore, therefore making and extra $10 per week contribution to society when converting time*effort direct into money, assuming he has a near minimum wage job.

Or it could mean Hell just got a little more crowded and I don't like crowded places.
0x5f3759df
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 12:34:25 AM
At 5/12/2013 4:59:50 PM, Sola.Gratia wrote:

May I ask why?

I responded to this in your PM.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 9:28:05 PM
Wow. Never thought I'd see you become an atheist.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 9:55:00 PM
The Fool: You don't have to be anything, just be who you are.. Make your decisions to the best of what you could know.. Be Free. Flowing evolving and adapting.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2013 10:47:03 PM
You're only 19. I can't see anybody at your age having enough evidence to believe in God anyway. Someone probably told you to when you were little and you just went along with it, then realized you had no reason to. Those reasons will present themselves in the future. We find our spirituality from the inside as life hits us over the head with lessons over and over again. You have a long life ahead of you, don't worry about trying to assert your beliefs - just keep your eyes and your heart open.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 1:06:16 AM

Have you considered deism or Agnosticism?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 1:12:33 AM

That's actually not funny at all. I'm sorry to hear that, Garett.
Single_Cell_Pony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 1:49:08 AM

Personally, I've found that life is a process where beliefs can change many times.

I wish you the best in your search for what is true for you.
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 9:26:45 PM

Again, could you elaborate as to why you allegedly no longer believe in God?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 9:44:20 PM
How do you feel now? When my beliefs changed, I felt an interesting mixture of relief, disappointment, and anger.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 9:53:32 PM
At 5/13/2013 10:47:03 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
You're only 19. I can't see anybody at your age having enough evidence to believe in God anyway. Someone probably told you to when you were little and you just went along with it, then realized you had no reason to. Those reasons will present themselves in the future. We find our spirituality from the inside as life hits us over the head with lessons over and over again. You have a long life ahead of you, don't worry about trying to assert your beliefs - just keep your eyes and your heart open.

What does age have to do with anything? The classical arguments are out there and they've relatively remained the same for centuries (with slight modification). It doesn't matter if you're 15 or 50, the material is still out there.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 10:50:46 PM

One of us! One of us!
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 12:14:31 AM
At 5/14/2013 9:44:20 PM, Maikuru wrote:
How do you feel now? When my beliefs changed, I felt an interesting mixture of relief, disappointment, and anger.

Confused. Little relief. Some fear. I'm not even sure what I believe right now.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 12:16:34 AM
At 5/14/2013 9:26:45 PM, SovereignDream wrote:

I decided to quit my SSRI a year ago and was determined to stay off for good, come may. It was agony. I wanted to start again and cut down slower, but then I discovered that there is a chance that restarting makes it even worse. A year later, and I'm still withdrawing. Seems like God abandoned me or something.

At 5/14/2013 1:06:16 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Yea. Haven't settled for anything yet.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 1:11:47 AM
Nooooooooooooo
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 1:34:08 AM
At 5/15/2013 12:16:34 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

I decided to quit my SSRI a year ago and was determined to stay off for good, come may. It was agony. I wanted to start again and cut down slower, but then I discovered that there is a chance that restarting makes it even worse. A year later, and I'm still withdrawing. Seems like God abandoned me or something.

Such things are common to man, Job suffered his entire life before respite came. Consider it a test of faith. God is not someone who you discard when the going gets rough. And he isn't the sort of unfair being who would allow us to have an easy life just because we ask. If you are having trouble with drugs, it was due to your decision to start. But it isn't God's fault you have trouble ending. The perception of God abandoning you happens to all of us when we make a bad decision. Bad decisions have bad consequences. The main thing is to focus on the good side, addictions are not unbreakable, and when you finally overcome, it would be a good time to give thanks to God for the trouble and heartache. I'm quite confident that this will turn out ok, not because I like to be optimistic, but because your story is a common one that usually ends well, despite what people say about 'No happy ending.' I've studied the psychology behind addictions in the past, if you break it, your life practically turns into a blissful existence with the euphoria of achievement. If you don't break the addiction, you may become depressed and contemplate suicide. This is quite rare however. When this is all over, you can have a chuckle to yourself at the memories of the pain, and declare your bragging rights as a person who defeated an addiction. While I don't know of them first hand, we all know they are nasty things, so God bless you as you go about overcoming it.

At 5/14/2013 1:06:16 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Yea. Haven't settled for anything yet.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 8:20:14 AM
At 5/14/2013 9:53:32 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
At 5/13/2013 10:47:03 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

What does age have to do with anything? The classical arguments are out there and they've relatively remained the same for centuries (with slight modification). It doesn't matter if you're 15 or 50, the material is still out there.

At 15 I neither gave a sh!t about God nor did I have time to really consider both arguments pro and con. As time goes by, you see more patterns in life and you have more time to contemplate such things. There are inner workings inside your mind that take decades to unravel, and when people start to find themselves, they often find new meaning.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 8:48:11 AM
At 5/15/2013 12:16:34 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

That's pretty common, for people who are going through really bad times to question whether a moral being could possibly be in charge of this mess. I don't think that abandoning your faith is going to give you strength. It is going to do the opposite, actually. I am in good health and I feel naive giving you advice, but I can say that there are those worse-off than you are (there are always people in better and worse positions than all of us) and any one of us at any time can say "I should be better off, screw you and screw God." I just recently went through a break-up which was hard on me (not saying it's as bad as your situation by any means) and my faith is being tested because of it. It's easy to be good in good times. I use the break-up as an excuse to do whatever I want and not be a good person, which is essentially turning my back on God. When I feel miserable, I watch this video sometimes and I ask myself: "what would this guy say to me if I complained to him?"

http://www.wimp.com...

This guy has a great story, and I relate to it strongly because I have a little girl.
Beliefs in a nutshell: