Jump to topic:

What's neat about DDO

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 1:06:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I know I post these "journal entry" type threads all the time, but I really am interested in what you all have to say about some of the interactions I have with others so I'll post another here. I might stop at some point, but who knows.

I was talking to a friend earlier today over coffee about DDO, and some of the cool things that have been taking place here lately. Imabench has started a trend with videos, and TUF, MassiveDump and ConservativePolitico have followed in kind and while this is just getting off the ground I'm really impressed with what I've seen. Making online videos is hard work, and I applaud all of you for doing that.

The friend (who is also a grad student) asked me how much time I spent on here and why I spent as much time as I do. It didn't really take long to come up with an answer either: I spend a hell of a lot of time on here, and I really enjoy it. The reason I enjoy posting on DDO, debating, etc. is because unlike the classroom -either one I'm leading or sitting in- there is a degree of freedom that is vastly more expansive than within the walls of the academy setting. For example, I don't have to worry about taking blow-back for arguing that Bush was a good president, I don't have to cover things I'm not interested in, and I only pay attention to the stuff that appeals to me in consequence. I can also deviate considerably from an "academic" writing style -which is refreshing.

I also like the people, who make this site interesting. Most of us are weird -how normal is it to argue about esoteric topics anyway? Think about it. Most of us have vastly diverse perspectives, and most of us come from pretty significantly different backgrounds -all while being willing to articulate our thoughts, beliefs and perspectives in the way we are best able. It's a truly public forum; an online marketplace of ideas if ever there was one.

On the subject of our willingness to voice our ideas, I want to talk about how significant that is. When I was an undergrad, in 4/5 classes the professor was generally the one doing the overwhelming majority of the talking. People are either too afraid or apathetic to speak up and challenge one another, to ask questions, to have a dialogue about concepts which are complex, ideas which are groundbreaking, beliefs that are controversial, etc. because either (a) people don't like conflict, (b) people just can't be bothered to care or (c) they're afraid of looking stupid. When I teach now, I find myself doing most of the talking. Personally, I find myself boring. Others are far more interesting -and that's what DDO's members offer.

Among the things that I value in people most are competence, accuracy/precision, and appeal (meaning one's capacity not to be boring) and it's rare that there is a range of people as genuinely interesting as those on DDO. I think the guy I was talking too might sign up, but he has comprehensive exams next fall so who knows. Time will tell, I guess.

Stay interesting, DDO.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 1:47:41 AM
I agree completely, being a slightly newer member on DDO puts me in the best seat to watch all the action while only being involved where I want to be involved. Back when I first started out, I had been putting of making a DDO account for at least 2 years. I actually used debates here as a reference for information that I would use for my college debates. The site made a good wikipedia of arguments that could be used as a starting point for more arguments.

Eventually I decided that joining the community here would be a good idea. I brought along a bunch of friends to debate with me, (Zacmoo0007, Jamie56, Several_Ingredients, Jinyongkim) we had a good time. Then they all quit simultaneously. But the reason I stayed was because I had become trapped in DDO. Other members experience the same thing and are aware of it, but are powerless to break free. I started joining a heap of debates and was having the time of my life arguing with random people for the sake of argument.

At this point in time, I had never debated anyone too experienced besides my friends. So when I moved my attention to people who were harder to beat, the enjoyment I got out of debating here only increased. The challenge of debating against people like Stephen_hawkins, Larztheloser and numerous others was exceptional. I would have to spend around 6 hours perfecting and researching each post to ensure victory. The same sort of thrill was present when I first decided to accept a debate that was out of my depth. I debated Muted, a biology genius who knew his way around a debate fairly well. The amount of work I had to do to understand the debate was enormous. I would never think I would say that I enjoyed hard work but I did. And this is what really got me into DDO.

The community in the forums was also a sight to see for the first time. I still remember looking at the different people on the leaders boards with mouth agape wondering how one could possibly do over 300 debates and win 90% of them. I also came to respect members whose debates really impressed me like Roylatham and got the impression that they were rarely wrong. After a few months of participation in the forums and debating, this view changed. I became more assertive of my own beliefs, and would not acknowledge someone's view just because they had a pretty record. Thus I am at present day, and DDO is as fun as ever, its the fun way of doing homework. When you want to learn something new, just make a debate about it and the motivation to learn about it will follow.

That's my journal entry with what I think about DDO.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Prodigenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 4:13:09 AM
I disagree this site accepts a vast variety of people. They will only accept your background as long as it hasn't led you to be aggressive to the majority.

Examples:
Izbo
Qopel
RationalMadman
Malcolmxy

You might think that you accept a wide range of people bot from what I saw on this site before creating my account, you only accept very impartial, logical styled debaters and none of other styles.
Live for the present, for it is a gift.

I surveyed 100 women and asked them what shampoo they used when showering, 98 of them said: How the hell did you get in here?
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 5:56:37 AM
At 5/18/2013 4:13:09 AM, Prodigenius wrote:
I disagree this site accepts a vast variety of people. They will only accept your background as long as it hasn't led you to be aggressive to the majority.

Examples:
Izbo
Qopel
RationalMadman
Malcolmxy

You might think that you accept a wide range of people bot from what I saw on this site before creating my account, you only accept very impartial, logical styled debaters and none of other styles.

Intolerance will not be tolerated.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Prodigenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 7:14:19 AM
At 5/18/2013 6:16:55 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Prodigenius, what was your previous account name?

I didn't have one.
Live for the present, for it is a gift.

I surveyed 100 women and asked them what shampoo they used when showering, 98 of them said: How the hell did you get in here?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 6:00:47 PM
At 5/18/2013 4:13:09 AM, Prodigenius wrote:

Examples:
Izbo
Qopel
RationalMadman
Malcolmxy

Since when was being "logical" a style of debating? It's a prerequisite for debating.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 1:32:22 PM
I like perverting the minds of young people. DDO members are generally very smart, so they are capable of understanding and learning. Most are also not so set in their thinking as to be immune to new ideas. What they lack is the body of relevant knowledge, and DDO can provide that.

There are always people who want to get attention by peeing in the punch bowl. It's not that they are challenging the majority. There is no dominant philosophy on DDO. It's that they don't know how to behave in society, and that doesn't work in any social setting. They intimidate and scare off new members who are not up for all the drama. Getting rid of them gains more than it loses.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 11:26:00 PM
I agree with the OP. I come here to experience intelligent and entertaining conversation with a steady group of interesting people. It's great fun. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I learn more on DDO than I do in school (usually) because the average intelligence level of DDO members is so much higher than the average person and the different perspectives are really great.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 11:38:14 PM
At 5/19/2013 11:36:29 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/19/2013 1:32:22 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I like perverting the minds of young people.

Sigged.

HAHAHAHAHAH. Great sig choice.

I approve.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 11:52:28 PM
At 5/19/2013 11:38:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/19/2013 11:36:29 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/19/2013 1:32:22 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I like perverting the minds of young people.

Sigged.

HAHAHAHAHAH. Great sig choice.

I approve.

It's not often that I see a gem like that on DDO. It was just begging to live on in sigdom.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 8:47:22 AM
The people here are really awesome. I have a blast with all my friends when I get a chance. What makes it even better is the person that I met on here. I'm so glad I joined this cite. My life has changed drastically. Ever since that person came into my life, I have been happier than I have ever been within my 21 years. I have said things I thought I would never have the guts to tell anyone. DDO is an awesome website to also practice debate. After I joined this I had a debate bout a week latter and I won. So I thank DDO for everything it has done in my life. :P
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 12:08:06 PM
DDO...I can't even begin to describe how drastically DDO has improved my life intellectually and made my Internet experience so much better.

It's going on two years now, I believe, and those two years flew by.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 12:09:22 PM
At 5/31/2013 12:08:06 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
DDO...I can't even begin to describe how drastically DDO has improved my life intellectually and made my Internet experience so much better.

It's going on two years now, I believe, and those two years flew by.

That is so cool. I used to be really bad with technology and internet and everything, i'm still am but I got better. Because of DDO
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:38:55 PM
The thing that I like about DDO is that people can feel completely free to talk about their ideas and views. I know no other place where we have that much freedom. Also, it has changed the way I spend my time. Now I spend my time researching and learning to defend my views, while also learning other people's views, the rationality behind those views, and how I can change my own, rather than watching TV. DDO is a beautiful website.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:58:48 PM
"They intimidate and scare off new members who are not up for all the drama. Getting rid of them gains more than it loses."

How is that supposed to be good?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 10:31:55 PM
DDO is special, I've never found anything else like it on the internet. In a certain sense I was meant to be here... I still remember back in 2007 when I was on some website and I saw the "Debate.com" advertisement. Over the next 0.1 seconds, I realized that this was where I wanted to be and I haven't really looked back since. I've spent a significant amount of time away in the past five years, and I complain about it probably more often then I should, but twenty years from now I will still be checking in to see what people are talking about here.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 10:51:37 PM
At 5/31/2013 10:31:55 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
DDO is special, I've never found anything else like it on the internet. In a certain sense I was meant to be here... I still remember back in 2007 when I was on some website and I saw the "Debate.com" advertisement. Over the next 0.1 seconds, I realized that this was where I wanted to be and I haven't really looked back since. I've spent a significant amount of time away in the past five years, and I complain about it probably more often then I should, but twenty years from now I will still be checking in to see what people are talking about here.

Me too. I can totally see my self when I'm 80 years old. sitting there going. ha I remember when I posted here and here. and laugh bout it. Oh wow it would be amazing.