Jump to topic:

Bad dreams

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 3:20:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For the past few weeks, I have been having bad dreams. Not nightmares but stuff that irritates me. For instance, I dreamed that I missed a flight and was rushing to the airport as fast as I can only to miss it. I dream that I am hiding something and that it was exposed. I don't really remember it in detail enough. I never really had a good dream for a while now. It is always something irritating and something I am relieved about when I wake up. I am unsure why this is the case. I don't know if dreams are co-incidental or based upon reality (I am not into psychology). I guess I'll research it sometime in the summer. I wanted to hear personal perspectives from DDO members though about your thoughts on the causes of dreams, theories on why I am having the dreams I do, and perhaps your own dreams.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 3:22:52 PM
On a superficial level, I can connect missing a flight with the fact that I was trying hard to meet deadlines for exams and projects and sometimes wasn't prepared enough. For hiding something, I had this dream a while ago when I was faking something. So, I can make superficial connections. I want to know the underlying causes and how to make them go away.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 4:24:53 PM
Stress.

I constantly have dreams about losing teeth. In fact, I had one such dream during my nap today. In fact, the dreams are so recurrent, the dream today was a dream about me having a dream about me losing my teeth. I've been fvcking incepted, apparently.

I used to have pretty disturbing dreams as a child, but not so much as an adult. However... during stressful periods of my life, I will have night terrors. I basically bolt from my bed and try to leave the house. Luckily I snap out of it before I make it outside. What's odd is that, normally, you don't remember night terrors. I remember most of mine and, basically the only way to describe them as abject irrational and complete dread. Like, you're in a room with a bomb that is about to explode and you absolutely must get out of there, that is essentially the feeling I have when I'm having them. Even after I snap out, the feeling lingers and it's hard to get out of bed.

I had a pretty serious bout of them prior to the birth of my first child, and have had a couple recently, probably as a result of graduating, buying a new house, long lost biological family in town, grandmother-in-law dieing, other grandmother-in-law having a stroke, grandmother having a stroke, and job contract being put up for recompete.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 4:25:46 PM
At 5/18/2013 4:24:53 PM, drafterman wrote:

I used to have pretty disturbing dreams as a child, but not so much as an adult. However... during stressful periods of my life, I will have night terrors. I basically bolt from my bed and try to leave the house. Luckily I snap out of it before I make it outside. What's odd is that, normally, you don't remember night terrors. I remember most of mine and, basically the only way to describe them as abject irrational and complete dread. Like, you're in a room with a bomb that is about to explode and you absolutely must get out of there, that is essentially the feeling I have when I'm having them. Even after I snap out, the feeling lingers and it's hard to get back to bed.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 5:55:47 PM
Stress.

I constantly have dreams about losing teeth. In fact, I had one such dream during my nap today. In fact, the dreams are so recurrent, the dream today was a dream about me having a dream about me losing my teeth.

That was one of the hallmark Freudian dreams, I think. It's been interpreted as meaning many things, ranging from the subconscious expression of repressed sexual urges (Freud, obviously) to a sense of powerlessness, and the loss of aggression and control in one's personal life. It's also one of those odd images that's common to all people; the dream occurs on a global scale. I personally think that it's more likely to related to be related to the universal human experience of loosing baby teeth. The theory (can't remember where I read it) is that it recurs in times of personal loss or other related trauma on any level due to association with that experience.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 6:02:35 PM
At 5/18/2013 5:55:47 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Stress.

I constantly have dreams about losing teeth. In fact, I had one such dream during my nap today. In fact, the dreams are so recurrent, the dream today was a dream about me having a dream about me losing my teeth.

That was one of the hallmark Freudian dreams, I think. It's been interpreted as meaning many things, ranging from the subconscious expression of repressed sexual urges (Freud, obviously) to a sense of powerlessness, and the loss of aggression and control in one's personal life. It's also one of those odd images that's common to all people; the dream occurs on a global scale. I personally think that it's more likely to related to be related to the universal human experience of loosing baby teeth. The theory (can't remember where I read it) is that it recurs in times of personal loss or other related trauma on any level due to association with that experience.

I thought it was because I don't like the dentist.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 9:04:27 PM
Stress.

I constantly have dreams about losing teeth. In fact, I had one such dream during my nap today. In fact, the dreams are so recurrent, the dream today was a dream about me having a dream about me losing my teeth. I've been fvcking incepted, apparently.

I used to have pretty disturbing dreams as a child, but not so much as an adult. However... during stressful periods of my life, I will have night terrors. I basically bolt from my bed and try to leave the house. Luckily I snap out of it before I make it outside. What's odd is that, normally, you don't remember night terrors. I remember most of mine and, basically the only way to describe them as abject irrational and complete dread. Like, you're in a room with a bomb that is about to explode and you absolutely must get out of there, that is essentially the feeling I have when I'm having them. Even after I snap out, the feeling lingers and it's hard to get out of bed.

I had a pretty serious bout of them prior to the birth of my first child, and have had a couple recently, probably as a result of graduating, buying a new house, long lost biological family in town, grandmother-in-law dieing, other grandmother-in-law having a stroke, grandmother having a stroke, and job contract being put up for recompete.

Sorry to hear about the night terrors. They seem much worse than anything I've ever experienced and hopefully they won't recur.

I guess the solution is to reduce stress then. For me, it would be easy to not stress out if I didn't procrastinate so much.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 1:04:12 AM
It could be that you have stressful things going on now, but from the sounds of it, you've been procrastinating for years, so I'm skeptical of that explanation because it doesn't account for why you're uniquely experiencing bad dreams now and didn't in previous stressful situations. Assuming that you actually didn't.

Its possible that the stress you have now is stronger than its ever been, and if thats true, then I would accept the explanation.

I'm personally skeptical of analyzing dream metaphors because you can interpret them in all kinds of ways. Sure, maybe your flight is a metaphor for trying to meet a deadline for a class, but it could also be a reference to your love of aircraft, a metaphor for trying to get away from something (leaving the country on a plane), or heck, maybe your brain just decided to have you dream about a plane, and there's no underlying reason behind it.

I don't think we can come to any ultimate conclusion as to whats causing your dreams, since (in my experience) stretches of good, rough, or nonexistent dreams happen at random times, meaning that the correspondence to your current situation could be coincidental. In contrast, Drafterman's post clearly establishes a trend between stressful parts of his life and night terrors, but considering that night terrors in and of themselves are uncommon, there's no reason to extrapolate his trend onto you. That said, trying to reduce the stress in your life obviously can't hurt.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 1:51:31 AM
I agree that your mind is probably exhibiting signs of stress.

The other night I had a dream that I was arriving at a college class, and I realized I had a presentation to give - but I had no idea on what! The class was being taught by an old supervisor of mine. It was quite stressful.

The old supervisor came from a job that was seriously stressful, and of course college has its obvious stresses. I've been away from that job for two years and about the same amount of time out of school, so even years later these stresses can manifest themselves in your dreams. It took about five years for my nightmares regarding waiting tables to end.

My dreams are straightforward. Yours may not be. Mine weren't always, but they became more straightforward as I learned more about myself. If you face your stresses dead-on, don't cloud your analyses of yourself with justifications and other confusing and conflicting reasoning, and take steps to remove these stressors from your life, then you will overcome these dreams. The process takes years however because, just like bending a piece of plastic creates that white area of weakness, your mind has stress damage that takes a long time to heal fully.

Losing your teeth is probably your minds' way of expressing its stress about something that you may be in denial about. If you can't admit to yourself (or just can't figure out) what it is that's causing the damage, then your mind isn't going to know how to manifest the stress at night when you sleep.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 1:53:47 AM
Sorry I sort of jumbled my responses to F-16 and Drafterman... I have been up 20 hours straight and are going to have bad dreams myself at this rate :P
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 2:35:49 AM
dreams occur when memories from the day are relocated and restored in your brain in different areas for different usages. You may notice that you memories of earlier today feel different from memories of last night. This is what has happened while you slept. During the restoring of this neural information, your brain tries to make sense of the surfacing memory. It does this by interpreting everything into a linear progression of events. What you dream about is largely determined by things that effect you. For example, perceptual set is where you are inclined to see something as something else for a variety of reasons, a shooting star might be seen as a missile in a war zone, a UFO in the desert, etc. This same phenomenon applies to what happens when someone dreams.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:40:43 AM
At 5/18/2013 3:20:33 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
For the past few weeks, I have been having bad dreams. Not nightmares but stuff that irritates me. For instance, I dreamed that I missed a flight and was rushing to the airport as fast as I can only to miss it. I dream that I am hiding something and that it was exposed. I don't really remember it in detail enough. I never really had a good dream for a while now. It is always something irritating and something I am relieved about when I wake up. I am unsure why this is the case. I don't know if dreams are co-incidental or based upon reality (I am not into psychology). I guess I'll research it sometime in the summer. I wanted to hear personal perspectives from DDO members though about your thoughts on the causes of dreams, theories on why I am having the dreams I do, and perhaps your own dreams.

Two questions:

Do you eat or smoke before you go to sleep?

Do you spend time outside during the day?
Tsar of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:37:52 AM
At 5/19/2013 3:40:43 AM, YYW wrote:

Two questions:

Eat yes. I don't smoke.

Yes.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 2:19:30 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:37:52 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 5/19/2013 3:40:43 AM, YYW wrote:

Two questions:

Eat yes. I don't smoke.

Eating before bed boosts your metabolic rate and in some may cause nightmares. That doesn't mean that you can't have dinner if you want a good night's rest, but it might be good to go about two or three hours before sleeping without food.

http://www.mayoclinic.com...

Yes.

That's good. Vitamin D deficiency shouldn't be an issue then.
Tsar of DDO
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 6:46:21 PM
There was only one time in my life I can remember consistently having bad dreams. In high school, I set the clock on my nightstand to a radio station that played light jazz/lounge music to fall asleep to. Little did I know, sometime in the night/early morning, it would switch from playing music to playing the news and I would have nightmares about those news stories.

Took me two weeks or so to figure it out (and, actually, I think it was my mom who figured it out). Afterwards, I played music off my ipod instead and no more bad dreams.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 1:42:02 AM
I once had a dream that I needed to go to a store. So I got up from my bed, starting to walk down the stairs. Well I fell down the stairs, I got up went outside, ran I walked into the door of my truck, I was knocked out cold. Woke up with a bloody nose and outside in 32 degree weather. A.K.A. I was sleep walking.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 12:47:14 PM
Here is a dream I had last night.

Someone in a building (a woman) told me to trust someone else (a man) to do something (perhaps lead me outside the building along with one of my friends who was with me). The building was like a university but also like a chemical experimental laboratory. The guy who was supposed to be leading us out got us to one of the doors and opened the door. There was a huge field in front of us and there were people playing ultimate frisbee a long way off from the entrance. The guy tells us that this is the exit and suddenly takes out a gun and kills my friend. He then shoots me but I put my hands in front of my face quickly enough and the bullet hits my hands. Strangely, I am unhurt. I start running - fast - towards the people playing ultimate frisbee hoping that they would help. The guy keeps shooting at me. Some of the bullets hit me, others miss. The odd thing is that I try to avoid the bullets as best I can despite nothing actually happening to me even when I am hit.

He runs out of bullets and takes out a bow and starts shooting arrows at me. (This is true, I am not kidding.) I dodge the first few but his next arrows are shot high into the air and one actually hits my foot right at the "achiles heel" point. However, the arrow suddenly disappears as if in a video game and for an odd reason that I don't know, I start running towards the shooter. The shooter starts shooting arrows to the side and to all sorts of odd directions but they all change direction in midair and hit the ground very close to me. I stand still waiting for him to shoot and only start moving after an arrow was shot.

I was still dodging arrows when I woke up and realized that it was all a dream. I just wanted to put this down as soon as I woke up because I always forget dreams.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:50:13 PM
At 5/23/2013 12:47:14 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Here is a dream I had last night.

Someone in a building (a woman) told me to trust someone else (a man) to do something (perhaps lead me outside the building along with one of my friends who was with me). The building was like a university but also like a chemical experimental laboratory. The guy who was supposed to be leading us out got us to one of the doors and opened the door. There was a huge field in front of us and there were people playing ultimate frisbee a long way off from the entrance. The guy tells us that this is the exit and suddenly takes out a gun and kills my friend. He then shoots me but I put my hands in front of my face quickly enough and the bullet hits my hands. Strangely, I am unhurt. I start running - fast - towards the people playing ultimate frisbee hoping that they would help. The guy keeps shooting at me. Some of the bullets hit me, others miss. The odd thing is that I try to avoid the bullets as best I can despite nothing actually happening to me even when I am hit.

He runs out of bullets and takes out a bow and starts shooting arrows at me. (This is true, I am not kidding.) I dodge the first few but his next arrows are shot high into the air and one actually hits my foot right at the "achiles heel" point. However, the arrow suddenly disappears as if in a video game and for an odd reason that I don't know, I start running towards the shooter. The shooter starts shooting arrows to the side and to all sorts of odd directions but they all change direction in midair and hit the ground very close to me. I stand still waiting for him to shoot and only start moving after an arrow was shot.

I was still dodging arrows when I woke up and realized that it was all a dream. I just wanted to put this down as soon as I woke up because I always forget dreams.

What did you do before you went to bed? Read, watch TV, eat, etc.?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 12:01:50 AM
At 5/23/2013 11:54:43 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Watched Revolution, Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the Ring), and typed code in C and debugged it.

You might try to give yourself an hour or so away from media forms if you find yourself still having bad dreams. That may help.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 12:08:31 AM
At 5/24/2013 12:04:35 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I'll try it out. Might be worth it.

I hope it helps. I've had sleep troubles all of my life, though for me it was due to insomnia. When I used to take some OTC sleep aids, I'd have nightmares all night long. I eventually wound up at my GP with an Rx which resolved my chronic inability to sleep, and didn't give me nightmares.

But in any case, here's some more info:

http://www.webmd.com...
Tsar of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 12:22:50 AM
At 5/24/2013 12:08:31 AM, YYW wrote:
At 5/24/2013 12:04:35 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I'll try it out. Might be worth it.

I hope it helps. I've had sleep troubles all of my life, though for me it was due to insomnia. When I used to take some OTC sleep aids, I'd have nightmares all night long. I eventually wound up at my GP with an Rx which resolved my chronic inability to sleep, and didn't give me nightmares.

But in any case, here's some more info:

http://www.webmd.com...

I am sorry to hear that. Glad to see that you resolved it though.

I thought the article described the dreams I have in general fairly accurately. "Not being able to run fast enough" for instance. I am not sure I would call my dream a "nightmare" though. It wasn't that scary.

I don't take any medications, drugs, or drink at all (although I drink a lot of lemonade), neither did I have any serious accidents that could cause PTSD so I know it is not that. I am usually stressed about coursework so that could be it but the dreams should have stopped once the semester ended though (I was only reviewing work from my last exam, not actually studying). I generally eat before bed so that must be it. Hopefully, not doing so will yield results.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 10:13:02 AM
Can you lucid dream? I find that when I'm having a bad dream, it helps to realize I'm dreaming. I once had a dream that Voldemort was chasing me and I realized I was dreaming (and a wizard) and could apparate away.
yang.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 8:53:45 AM
A couple days ago I had a very bad dream. I was sitting in my car at work when this semi-truck was literary coming right at me. I saw the lights then boom it hit me. It went right over the car, totally crushing me under. I could breath but I couldn't move any part of my body. I was stuck. Then the ambulance and the Firefighters came. They tried to get me out but there was no use. I was to stuck and it was difficult to get me out. They just stood there looking and not doing anything. I woke up breathing really hard and making sure it wasn't real. That was the worst dream I have ever had in my whole life. I still feel that might happen to me someday at work.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:03:26 AM
At 5/24/2013 10:13:02 AM, tulle wrote:
Can you lucid dream? I find that when I'm having a bad dream, it helps to realize I'm dreaming. I once had a dream that Voldemort was chasing me and I realized I was dreaming (and a wizard) and could apparate away.

I actually used to be able to lucid dream quite often as a child. Not so much anymore.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:05:54 AM
At 5/31/2013 8:53:45 AM, leojm wrote:
A couple days ago I had a very bad dream. I was sitting in my car at work when this semi-truck was literary coming right at me. I saw the lights then boom it hit me. It went right over the car, totally crushing me under. I could breath but I couldn't move any part of my body. I was stuck.

That wasn't a bad dream, it's called MESCALINE. It's the only way to fly ;)
Beliefs in a nutshell:
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 9:09:18 AM
At 5/24/2013 10:13:02 AM, tulle wrote:

I usually never have a bad dream, but when I do, I usually et lucid and the dream collapses. Never had any luck with them lucids :/
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac