Jump to topic:

Paper Due Tomorrow

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 2:58:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have a paper due tomorrow for Comp II that I haven't started. The subject of the paper is totally up to me here but I can't really think of anything to write about. Any interesting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:05:23 PM
At 5/19/2013 2:58:53 PM, Noumena wrote:
I have a paper due tomorrow for Comp II that I haven't started. The subject of the paper is totally up to me here but I can't really think of anything to write about. Any interesting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Composition II?

Post a PDF of the syllabus.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:07:38 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:05:23 PM, YYW wrote:

Composition II?

Harr harr. It's elementary but I still require a topic.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:09:35 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:07:38 PM, Noumena wrote:

Composition II?

I didn't mean that as a joke. I actually wanted to know the parameters of the class so that I could recommend a good topic.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:30:45 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:09:35 PM, YYW wrote:

Composition II?

I didn't mean that as a joke. I actually wanted to know the parameters of the class so that I could recommend a good topic.

I'm not sure how to post the syllabus online. I can only access through a file on my college e-mail.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:30:56 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:19:32 PM, darkkermit wrote:
if the topic is totally up to you, then why don't you just hand in one of the past papers you've written.

Professor counts it as plagiarism.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:36:50 PM
How long does it have to be? What type of paper is he looking for (are we talking persuasive essay, or what?)
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:37:01 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:30:45 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 5/19/2013 3:09:35 PM, YYW wrote:

Composition II?

I'm not sure how to post the syllabus online. I can only access through a file on my college e-mail.

Copy and paste?
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:41:42 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:37:01 PM, YYW wrote:

Copy and paste?

For this paper, you will be writing an argumentative essay on a topic of your choice. Please choose a topic which you are very interested in and passionate about, as you will be revisiting this topic many times over the course of the semester. Also, please make sure you are comfortable enough to share your opinions on this topic with both me and your peers. Finally, please make sure that your topic is one that has an ample amount of credible research to use for both sides of the issue, not just one.

In this paper, you MUST take up a position; do not "ride the fence" and try to argue for both sides. However, remember that the best arguments do consider the opposing viewpoint; you must address why the opposing side"s views may not be as valid as yours. Also, be sure to explain any technical terms, statistics, historical facts, etc. which the reader may be unfamiliar with. Most of all, be creative and have fun with it! You may consult Practical Argument for examples of persuasive essays.

You WILL be doing outside research for this paper. You must use at least three credible, peer-reviewed sources, such as library books, encyclopedias, journals and library databases. You may also consider personal interviews or personal testimonies with people familiar with your topic. You may use newspapers or other media sources; however, use caution, as these may "skew" information slightly in order to make the story more entertaining. You are not to use websites such as Wikipedia, Google (except for Google Scholar), or other general dot-com sites without my approval first. You must include a Works Cited page with your paper. All final drafts must be submitted to Turnitin.com by the due date. Papers not submitted may not be graded, resulting in a failing grade for this assignment. Remember, you may only submit once, so make sure you are done making changes before submitting!

Papers must be approximately 3-6 pages in length (note: this means at least three FULL pages, plus a Works Cited). All papers must be typed, using size 12 font, have one-inch margins, and be stapled in the left-hand corner. Please do not put your paper in a folder or report cover. All papers must also adhere to the standard MLA format guidelines (refer to your McGraw-Hill Handbook if you need help). Do not include a title page; simply put the proper heading on your first page.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:45:19 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:41:42 PM, Noumena wrote:
You are not to use websites such as ... Google

lol because Google's a website...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:45:38 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:41:42 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 5/19/2013 3:37:01 PM, YYW wrote:

Copy and paste?

For this paper, you will be writing an argumentative essay on a topic of your choice. Please choose a topic which you are very interested in and passionate about, as you will be revisiting this topic many times over the course of the semester. Also, please make sure you are comfortable enough to share your opinions on this topic with both me and your peers. Finally, please make sure that your topic is one that has an ample amount of credible research to use for both sides of the issue, not just one.

In this paper, you MUST take up a position; do not "ride the fence" and try to argue for both sides. However, remember that the best arguments do consider the opposing viewpoint; you must address why the opposing side"s views may not be as valid as yours. Also, be sure to explain any technical terms, statistics, historical facts, etc. which the reader may be unfamiliar with. Most of all, be creative and have fun with it! You may consult Practical Argument for examples of persuasive essays.

You WILL be doing outside research for this paper. You must use at least three credible, peer-reviewed sources, such as library books, encyclopedias, journals and library databases. You may also consider personal interviews or personal testimonies with people familiar with your topic. You may use newspapers or other media sources; however, use caution, as these may "skew" information slightly in order to make the story more entertaining. You are not to use websites such as Wikipedia, Google (except for Google Scholar), or other general dot-com sites without my approval first. You must include a Works Cited page with your paper. All final drafts must be submitted to Turnitin.com by the due date. Papers not submitted may not be graded, resulting in a failing grade for this assignment. Remember, you may only submit once, so make sure you are done making changes before submitting!

Papers must be approximately 3-6 pages in length (note: this means at least three FULL pages, plus a Works Cited). All papers must be typed, using size 12 font, have one-inch margins, and be stapled in the left-hand corner. Please do not put your paper in a folder or report cover. All papers must also adhere to the standard MLA format guidelines (refer to your McGraw-Hill Handbook if you need help). Do not include a title page; simply put the proper heading on your first page.

Very cool. Go on JSTOR, type in the name of your favorite philosopher into the search bar along with a topic on which he/she is noted for writing, download six papers whose abstracts look related and synthesize a thesis out of the best three of them.

Oh, and fvck MLA. Chicago ftw.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:48:30 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:45:38 PM, YYW wrote:

Very cool. Go on JSTOR, type in the name of your favorite philosopher into the search bar along with a topic on which he/she is noted for writing, download six papers whose abstracts look related and synthesize a thesis out of the best three of them.

Baller.

Agreed. I prefer APA though just because I don't have to pull out a handbook or go to a citation website to do it (as I have to do with MLA).
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:52:12 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:48:30 PM, Noumena wrote:

Baller.

I've done that on numerous occasions when I was an undergrad. Works every time. When I tutored undergrads, they were always perplexed by the notion that they had to come up with a thesis and then prove it. It's a stupid method, when kids usually don't have a sufficient body of knowledge to come up with a good thesis statement. That's why I always recommend research first, drafting later.

Agreed. I prefer APA though just because I don't have to pull out a handbook or go to a citation website to do it (as I have to do with MLA).
Tsar of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 3:55:13 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:30:56 PM, Noumena wrote:
if the topic is totally up to you, then why don't you just hand in one of the past papers you've written.

how the fvck would he know anyhow.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:02:20 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:55:13 PM, darkkermit wrote:

There are several programs where professors can upload the content of papers (either with a digital copy of PDF images) that cross reference that paper against other papers which previous students have turned in. Some of these programs are more sophisticated than others, but essentially they use on algorithms to detect word patterns and speech commonalities. The one my institution uses gives a percentage mark of plagiarized content, and if you top more than 10% your paper will be submitted to the office of academic integrity. If you're found guilty, you'll be expelled (and usually blocked from entering another accredited institution). Even still though, the chances of getting caught are pretty low, but if you do get caught it can ruin your life. Even if you are the kind of person who sees no moral/ethical objection to plagiarism, it is never worth the risk to plagiarize if your reasoning goes no deeper than self interest alone.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:04:07 PM

A lot of professors at the school I go to require that we to turn in a hardcopy as well as an electronic form. They catalog the electronic form and set it against (a) other papers turned in electronically at the college and (b) a general database. At least that's what they tell us. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

I was actually a bit bummed about it because I was looking forward to the idea of generally revising/editing old papers that I enjoyed to turn in later. I thought it would be a good way to expand/evolve my knowledge of the topic at hand.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:04:55 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:02:20 PM, YYW wrote:

There are several programs where professors can upload the content of papers (either with a digital copy of PDF images) that cross reference that paper against other papers which previous students have turned in. Some of these programs are more sophisticated than others, but essentially they use on algorithms to detect word patterns and speech commonalities. The one my institution uses gives a percentage mark of plagiarized content, and if you top more than 10% your paper will be submitted to the office of academic integrity. If you're found guilty, you'll be expelled (and usually blocked from entering another accredited institution). Even still though, the chances of getting caught are pretty low, but if you do get caught it can ruin your life. Even if you are the kind of person who sees no moral/ethical objection to plagiarism, it is never worth the risk to plagiarize if your reasoning goes no deeper than self interest alone.

A bit off topic, but it's ludicrous to consider self-plagiarism to be equivalent to plagiarism in an academic context (not that you were doing it, as much as you're explaining how it's seen by the institution). When someone's being paid, there's an expectation they're creating new work...when they're in a class, there's only the expectation that they learn or know the dang material.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:06:48 PM
Why don't you write on the problem of induction?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:06:50 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:04:55 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

A bit off topic, but it's ludicrous to consider self-plagiarism to be equivalent to plagiarism in an academic context (not that you were doing it, as much as you're explaining how it's seen by the institution).

I don't disagree, but zero tolerance policies are often decidedly irrational like that.

When someone's being paid, there's an expectation they're creating new work...when they're in a class, there's only the expectation that they learn or know the dang material.

The point is to maintain the highest possible standards. The rule is what it is to ensure that student's don't take the easy way out.
Tsar of DDO
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:07:29 PM
At 5/19/2013 3:37:09 PM, Raisor wrote:
Pick your best/favorite debate and make it into an essay.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:09:44 PM
Our program also checks content against text retrievable through a few major search engines. DDO is retrievable through search engines.
Tsar of DDO
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:13:12 PM

This is way smarter than my approach to writing philosophy papers was.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:22:50 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:13:12 PM, Raisor wrote:

What was yer approach?
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:23:28 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:06:48 PM, philochristos wrote:
Why don't you write on the problem of induction?

Dunno. It's been done to death. If I did I'd probs talk about it in reference to the cosmological argument like I did in our debate though.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:37:42 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:22:50 PM, Noumena wrote:

What was yer approach?

Raisor, did you have to turn in a thesis statement to your professors who would then review it before telling you to continue with the assignment?

The typical method is this:

(1) Students think long and hard about the paper.
(2) Students come up with a thesis statement.
(3) Students attempt to find research which proves their thesis statement.
(4) Students modify thesis statement based on research.
(5) Students turn in first draft.
(6) Paper is reviewed by professor with suggestions.
(7) Students make improvements.
(8) Students turn in final draft.

The typical method is stupid.

My method:

(1) Read a whole bunch of published papers within a given subject area.
(2) Connect the dots.
(3) Turn in a perfectly reasoned paper.
Tsar of DDO
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 8:06:55 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:37:42 PM, YYW wrote:

What was yer approach?

Raisor, did you have to turn in a thesis statement to your professors who would then review it before telling you to continue with the assignment?

My method:

(2) Connect the dots.

The first method was more or less what I did, except usually I didnt have to preview a thesis or go through a review/criticism.

The school I went to had a bunch of underachieving philosophy students so it was pretty easy to stay at the top of the curve.

My process was usually:

a) pick area/general topic I am interested in
b) do a bunch of reading on that topic
c) compile notes on readings
d) refine general topic into thesis
e) write 75% of paper
f) realize my thesis is BS and/or underdeveloped and iterate b-e
g) Come to terms with the fact the paper is due in 2 hours and/or I have spent too much time on a class that is functionally an elective and/or it's roof beer night
h) power through remainder of paper with whatever is currently in place

My papers were also generally written straight over period of 24-72 hours.

Clearly this is the correct method to uncovering the ultimate Truth and Beauty of the universe, amiright?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 8:15:59 PM
At 5/19/2013 8:06:55 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/19/2013 4:37:42 PM, YYW wrote:

What was yer approach?

My method:

(2) Connect the dots.

The first method was more or less what I did, except usually I didnt have to preview a thesis or go through a review/criticism.

The school I went to had a bunch of underachieving philosophy students so it was pretty easy to stay at the top of the curve.

My process was usually:

a) pick area/general topic I am interested in
b) do a bunch of reading on that topic
c) compile notes on readings
d) refine general topic into thesis
e) write 75% of paper
f) realize my thesis is BS and/or underdeveloped and iterate b-e
g) Come to terms with the fact the paper is due in 2 hours and/or I have spent too much time on a class that is functionally an elective and/or it's roof beer night
h) power through remainder of paper with whatever is currently in place

My papers were also generally written straight over period of 24-72 hours.

Clearly this is the correct method to uncovering the ultimate Truth and Beauty of the universe, amiright?

What you do is really common (especially among former debaters), but inefficient. If you've made it work though, more power to you.
Tsar of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 10:19:42 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:06:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/19/2013 4:04:55 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

A bit off topic, but it's ludicrous to consider self-plagiarism to be equivalent to plagiarism in an academic context (not that you were doing it, as much as you're explaining how it's seen by the institution).

I don't disagree, but zero tolerance policies are often decidedly irrational like that.

When someone's being paid, there's an expectation they're creating new work...when they're in a class, there's only the expectation that they learn or know the dang material.

The point is to maintain the highest possible standards. The rule is what it is to ensure that student's don't take the easy way out.

It's pretty rare to be expelled for plagerism. I mean you can look at it from a risk/reward analysis. The worst that can happen is that you get expelled from your university (the risk). The best that can happen is that your plagerized works becomes so famous that you become an international icon and get a national holiday named after you. The choice is yours.

Just remember, nobody became famous through taking no risk.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...