Jump to topic:

Poked myself in the eye

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 11:49:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Happened around 2pm today, 9.5 hours ago.

Yup, I feel stupid about it.

But after that it's just pain. Excruciating constant pain. It helps if I don't blink and let my right eye just fill with redness and tears (it's doing that anyway, and it looks like I've been crying for the passed 6 hours), but eventually I've got to blink, which feels like I'm poking myself in the eye again. Sometimes it just feels like an itch, an itch I can't scratch, right on my eye ball. Sometimes it feels OK for a moment, but then I blink and it hurts like heck again. On top of that I've got a headache, I'm now congested and my nose is running like I have a terrible cold. It even hurts when I close my eyes. I'm considering nuking the moon just so I can think about something else for a minute.

Anyways, I sought medical advice and I pretty much just have to deal with it for a couple days. I'm sure I'll survive and I'll probably be fine tomorrow but I thought I'd rant about it for a minute because I'm struggling to see and unable concentrate on much of anything else right now.

(Here's the story btw. I was doing some paperwork and holding a prescription label when I needed to adjust my glasses. So I lifted my right hand (The same hand holding the label I was checking against the paperwork) to push up the bottom of my glasses, and boom, corner of the label right into the eye ball. Yes, I feel stupid)

/rant
Debate.org Moderator
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 11:53:22 PM
*Has horrible sickness, right eye can't see at all with tears running down face, quickly typing in a rant, still has perfect grammar.*

Anyways, hope you feel better! :D
Nolite Timere
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 11:54:35 PM
At 5/20/2013 11:49:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

But after that it's just pain. Excruciating constant pain. It helps if I don't blink and let my right eye just fill with redness and tears (it's doing that anyway, and it looks like I've been crying for the passed 6 hours), but eventually I've got to blink, which feels like I'm poking myself in the eye again. Sometimes it just feels like an itch, an itch I can't scratch, right on my eye ball. Sometimes it feels OK for a moment, but then I blink and it hurts like heck again. On top of that I've got a headache, I'm now congested and my nose is running like I have a terrible cold. It even hurts when I close my eyes. I'm considering nuking the moon just so I can think about something else for a minute.

Anyways, I sought medical advice and I pretty much just have to deal with it for a couple days. I'm sure I'll survive and I'll probably be fine tomorrow but I thought I'd rant about it for a minute because I'm struggling to see and unable concentrate on much of anything else right now.

(Here's the story btw. I was doing some paperwork and holding a prescription label when I needed to adjust my glasses. So I lifted my right hand (The same hand holding the label I was checking against the paperwork) to push up the bottom of my glasses, and boom, corner of the label right into the eye ball. Yes, I feel stupid)

/rant

Did they not give you some topical lidocaine for the pain?
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 11:55:36 PM
At 5/20/2013 11:53:22 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
*Has horrible sickness, right eye can't see at all with tears running down face, quickly typing in a rant, still has perfect grammar.*

haha it was a struggle and I'm an obsessive proof-reader :p
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 11:55:48 PM
At 5/20/2013 11:55:36 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 5/20/2013 11:53:22 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

haha it was a struggle and I'm an obsessive proof-reader :p

and thanks
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 11:58:53 PM
At 5/20/2013 11:54:35 PM, YYW wrote:

/rant

Not something I'm inclined to do, and didn't have the option anyway... Ironically I'm generally against using drugs if I can avoid it. I'll walk it off (and rant it off I guess) and be fine tomorrow.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:01:39 AM
At 5/20/2013 11:58:53 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

/rant

Not something I'm inclined to do, and didn't have the option anyway... Ironically I'm generally against using drugs if I can avoid it. I'll walk it off (and rant it off I guess) and be fine tomorrow.

Ranting can be cathartic... lol. I'd at least take some ibuprofen or something...

Feel better, Airmax!
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:04:16 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:01:39 AM, YYW wrote:

/rant

Ranting can be cathartic... lol. I'd at least take some ibuprofen or something...

Feel better, Airmax!

A good rant tends to help. Yeah, I think I might take some ibuprofen before I go to sleep.

Thanks.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:14:28 AM
I suppose that does put it in perspective. Though he did feel just fine and a bit more free, 15 minutes later.

But it's a good point anyway, having reasonable control over my bowels is something I'm thankful for.
Debate.org Moderator
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 12:33:51 AM
I'm generally against using drugs if I can avoid it. I'll walk it off

You're a fvcking boss. Just wanted to say that. I wish I had that attitude a couple years ago, lol.

One of my biggest fears is poking my eyes and going blind. I would freak the f*ck out if that happened to me. I once got in a fight and surrendered the instant I got punched in the eye because everything went black for a second and I was scared to go blind. Lol.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:42:19 AM
At 5/21/2013 12:33:51 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
I'm generally against using drugs if I can avoid it. I'll walk it off

You're a fvcking boss. Just wanted to say that. I wish I had that attitude a couple years ago, lol.

One of my biggest fears is poking my eyes and going blind. I would freak the f*ck out if that happened to me. I once got in a fight and surrendered the instant I got punched in the eye because everything went black for a second and I was scared to go blind. Lol.

haha thanks. I didn't really consider that I'd go blind though. Being in a medical field generally takes away a lot of the speculative fear. Losing my vision definitely does freak me out though, if I thought there was a chance of that I'd be much more worried. But the eye is resilient, you don't want to mess with it much, but it can handle a workplace injury like I have.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:43:16 AM
At 5/21/2013 1:14:29 AM, Smithereens wrote:
You should write a book about this.

I did. It's the OP. I don't think it can be extended much unless I dramatize a bit more and add a touching romance subplot to it.
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 1:44:47 AM
At 5/21/2013 1:43:16 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I did. It's the OP. I don't think it can be extended much unless I dramatize a bit more and add a touching romance subplot to it.

This is something you should pursue.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 2:03:35 AM
At 5/21/2013 1:44:47 AM, YYW wrote:
At 5/21/2013 1:43:16 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

This is something you should pursue.

In the setting of my workplace and the context of getting my eye poked? Nah. I'll add a touching romance subplot to a sci-fi novel about a universe at war over the last slice of cheese. Far more worth my time...

Unless there is popular demand on DDO for such a tale of one getting their eye poked. In which case I guess I wouldn't have any choice..
Debate.org Moderator
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 2:41:01 AM
Well, at least now you're in a position where when you say "X is better than a sharp poke in the eye", you're speaking with authority.

Glad you're okay...out of curiosity, why are you okay with ibuprofen, but not topical lido?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 2:47:20 AM
"And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire."
~Matthew 18:9
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 8:53:24 PM
At 5/21/2013 2:41:01 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Well, at least now you're in a position where when you say "X is better than a sharp poke in the eye", you're speaking with authority.

haha indeed.. I still maintain that most things are preferable to what I have experienced with this.

Glad you're okay...out of curiosity, why are you okay with ibuprofen, but not topical lido?

I'm more inclined to take an OTC than an RX med if I have to take anything.
Debate.org Moderator
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 12:17:11 AM
But I bought lidocaine at walmart the other day for a sunburn... it wasn't RX. I think it was called SolarCaine
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 12:53:31 AM
At 5/22/2013 12:17:11 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
But I bought lidocaine at walmart the other day for a sunburn... it wasn't RX. I think it was called SolarCaine

The only type of painkilling eye drop I'd trust is RX only. You can get all types of topical analgesics over the counter.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 1:00:17 AM
Meye advice is that you should be more careful in the future. Oh god, that joke was so cornea. Lens just forget that I posted this.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 1:05:26 AM
At 5/22/2013 1:00:17 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Meye advice is that you should be more careful in the future. Oh god, that joke was so cornea. Lens just forget that I posted this.

haha that's a conea-copia of puns.

Very Hum-iris jokes.

Sorry, I know this is getting cornea and cornea...

Ok I'll stop :P
Debate.org Moderator
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 4:01:32 AM
Dang airmax, that sucks. I'll have to admit that injuries to the eyes are the worst and the scariest. I've snapped a femur, both knees are shot, cracked half a dozen ribs and have three broken, three fingers on my right had crushed, broke just about every knuckle twice, dislocated shoulder, broke left radius and cracked right ulna. All that hurt but I didn't freak out like I did when I burnt both eyes.

I was doing a job in upstate NY that required about 4 hours of welding with a auto dimming hood with nearly dead battery so my eyes got flashed a bunch. It wouldn't have been as bad if I hadn't went out and got piss blackout drunk later that night. I woke up in the hotel literally blind and the worst pain I'd ever felt. I freaked out like a girl for nearly 20 minutes trying to find the phone and dial.

But you're right, the eye is very resilient. Good luck and I hope it gets better soon.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:48:28 PM
At 5/22/2013 4:01:32 AM, jharry wrote:
Dang airmax, that sucks. I'll have to admit that injuries to the eyes are the worst and the scariest. I've snapped a femur, both knees are shot, cracked half a dozen ribs and have three broken, three fingers on my right had crushed, broke just about every knuckle twice, dislocated shoulder, broke left radius and cracked right ulna. All that hurt but I didn't freak out like I did when I burnt both eyes.

I was doing a job in upstate NY that required about 4 hours of welding with a auto dimming hood with nearly dead battery so my eyes got flashed a bunch. It wouldn't have been as bad if I hadn't went out and got piss blackout drunk later that night. I woke up in the hotel literally blind and the worst pain I'd ever felt. I freaked out like a girl for nearly 20 minutes trying to find the phone and dial.

But you're right, the eye is very resilient. Good luck and I hope it gets better soon.

Your story sounds pretty scary. That would have definitely freaked me out.

Thanks. It got better after 2 days. I just had to wear sunglasses all day because of the light sensitivity. It hurt like hell for those two days and my vision was impaired, but I'm lucky to be around medical professionals all the time who gave me good advice.

So essentially this was a paper cut on my eye ball. I used basic artificial tears every hour to help the eye heal. After 48 hours I was perfectly fine. I'll be being more careful from now on.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:49:09 PM
At 5/22/2013 2:35:47 AM, Smithereens wrote:
How long is your beard?

I do not have a beard at the moment.
Debate.org Moderator
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:52:00 PM
if it makes you feel any better i've hit my funny bone with my other funny bone.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 10:25:08 AM

/rant

Really? Ouch :/