Jump to topic:

A Nobody...

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 5:51:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I feel depressed, because I try to impress my dad but no matter what I do doesn't make him proud. Not only that yesterday he shoved me around and told me that I'm a nobody and won't amount to anything.

Today he called me and said, "Hey, just to let you know we ate dinner at a descent time and that we ate dinner without you. There won't be any left overs."
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 5:59:01 PM
Your Dad sounds like a fcking @sshole. And I know how it feels. Wanting to impress your parents. Just to have them be proud of you. But man, sometimes it's not worth it.
#BlackLivesMatter
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 6:04:11 PM
At 5/22/2013 5:59:01 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Your Dad sounds like a fcking @sshole. And I know how it feels. Wanting to impress your parents. Just to have them be proud of you. But man, sometimes it's not worth it.

I know I try to impress the guy and I get the opposite.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 8:34:01 PM
At 5/22/2013 5:51:45 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I feel depressed, because I try to impress my dad but no matter what I do doesn't make him proud. Not only that yesterday he shoved me around and told me that I'm a nobody and won't amount to anything.

Today he called me and said, "Hey, just to let you know we ate dinner at a descent time and that we ate dinner without you. There won't be any left overs."

I think you should watch Kronk's New Groove.

http://www.amazon.com...
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2013 9:37:07 PM

I had issues with my dad too when I was about 14-15. I think it's pretty normal. By the time I was 16, we reached an understanding (I figured out I had to behave more maturely, he moderated his overreaching zealousness). He never respected me until I learned to respect myself though, which means I quit trying to please him. It was only when I started to do the best I could for myself that he saw me as something more than the child he had to "parent" -but as a human being.
Tsar of DDO
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 4:59:43 PM
Some people just cannot be impressed, because they hate themselves, and thus take it out on everyone else doing anything noteworthy.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 10:51:03 PM
Your father is not doing his job. He ought to function as a source of encouragement, but if you can't get that from him, then you need a different source.

I recommend making a recording of yourself saying "You are sexy, you are smart, you have everything you need to succeed". Put that on your MP3 player/phone/ipod/ whatever and play it on loop until your battery dies (or until after your battery dies 5 times if you're using an ipod) as often as you can manage it.

The danger here is that your brain will start to internalize what your dad is saying and play his comments on loop in your mind for you. You need to counter that and you need to do it now.

In fact, everyone should do this. You do this often enough and suddenly you'll find these are the messages playing on loop in your brain. If you're not getting esteem from an outside source, you're going to have to self-esteem (but I guess that's why they call it "self-esteem" in the first place ;)
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
jzonda415
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 9:42:40 AM

I had a similar situation with my dad. We constantly bickered and no matter how hard I worked, he put me down. They way I dealt with it was I sat him down every time I felt saddened by him and told him what he did and why I didn't like that. It worked pretty well and we aren't perfect but we are better now. Just an idea for you.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 12:40:25 PM

Does he drink?
If he was sober and did this, he is an @ss.
Unless, and you need to take an objective look at yourself, he is trying to give you tough love. Furthermore, you need to take an objective look at him, and figure out how he shows affection. My dad is egocentric, so it's always about him, but I know that he tried his best, and that should matter, IMO. My dad failed in many aspects of parenting, especially emotional support, but I do believe he tried.

If he was drunk, IMO, know that you will never impress him, and stop trying. Don't make any life decisions/serious sacrifices to please him at the expense of your happiness.

Here is an example of my tough love consideration.
Were you supposed to be home for dinner? Did you not call?
Were you out with your friends, instead of at home for dinner?
These would suggest tough love.

Were you at work or school? Did they eat earlier than normal?
If so, this is him being an @ss.
My work here is, finally, done.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 12:54:38 PM
I know you want your parents to be proud of you, but if he's an as$hole why does he deserve your respect and why would you want his praise?

You should be happy with who you are and justify your actions via your own feelings rather than those of others.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 7:56:08 AM
At 5/22/2013 6:04:11 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 5/22/2013 5:59:01 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:

I know I try to impress the guy and I get the opposite.

Same here with my dad. We barely get along. The only words that come out of our mouths is fvck you and get the fvck lost. We cuss constantly at each other, He tries to tell me what to do, I mean he is my father and everything but still he has no business controlling me and treating me like crap.