Abortion...

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:26:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
...of replies.

Does anyone do this? Many many times I will write a long reply to someone. Often in the pace of a heated argument. But after having written the response I'll just ... delete (abort) it. Sometimes I'll do a more succinct or level-headed reply, many times I won't reply at all.

Sometimes I think I just do it to get the words out of my system, or to create an emotional outlet. Others I realize that what I initially wrote isn't productive/worthwhile, or perhaps I was being overly insulting or belligerent. Sometimes I realize that the entire conversation is pointless or not constructive and cut my losses. In very few cases it's a sarcastic remark that is even over the top for me.

Thoughts? Does anyone else do this? Same reasons? Different?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:36:32 AM
No, once a post is written, it has the right to be seen. Besides, you've made the commitment once you pressed the "Add post" button, and should be held accountable for your responsibility.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:37:27 AM
Although in cases where your life might be threatened, I think it might be morally permissible to delete a post you've written.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:39:57 AM
At 5/23/2013 11:36:32 AM, darkkermit wrote:
No, once a post is written, it has the right to be seen. Besides, you've made the commitment once you pressed the "Add post" button, and should be held accountable for your responsibility.

I think you misunderstand. I'm talking about replies I've written, but I deleted instead of hitting "Add Post." I'm not talking about deleting existing posts. Hence "abortion." I'm aborting the post. It never sees the light of day.

It'd be odd to claim to have performed an activity that is not technically possible and ask if anyone else has performed this impossibility.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:43:33 AM
At 5/23/2013 11:37:27 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Although in cases where your life might be threatened, I think it might be morally permissible to delete a post you've written.

I don't think so. Your moral duty > the cost of your life.

Laying down your life fulfilling your duty for the site has to be the greatest death one can ever have.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 11:52:03 AM
I do that sometimes and generally for the same reasons; either my reply is overly sarcastic or, with a more level head, I realize the conversation isn't worth continuing at all.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 12:03:33 PM
At 5/23/2013 11:26:08 AM, drafterman wrote:
...of replies.

Does anyone do this? Many many times I will write a long reply to someone. Often in the pace of a heated argument. But after having written the response I'll just ... delete (abort) it. Sometimes I'll do a more succinct or level-headed reply, many times I won't reply at all.

Sometimes I think I just do it to get the words out of my system, or to create an emotional outlet. Others I realize that what I initially wrote isn't productive/worthwhile, or perhaps I was being overly insulting or belligerent. Sometimes I realize that the entire conversation is pointless or not constructive and cut my losses. In very few cases it's a sarcastic remark that is even over the top for me.

An officer had disobeyed, or failed to comprehend an order.

"I believe I'll sit down," said Secretary Stanton, "and give that man a piece of my mind."

"Do so," said Lincoln; "write him now while you have it on your mind. Make it sharp. Cut him all up."

Stanton did not need a second invitation. It was a "bone-crusher" that he read to the President.

"That's right," said Lincoln; "that's a good one."

"Whom can I send it by?" mused the Secretary.

"Send it!" replied Lincoln, "send it! Why, don't send it at all. Tear it up. You have freed your mind on the subject, and that is all that is necessary. Tear it up. You never want to send such letters. I never do."

http://www.coachwhipbooks.com...
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 1:37:25 PM
All the time.

Usually because 1. I figure this would be put to better use in an actual debate (then I challenge them) or 2. it's a joke that, after writing, I realize isn't actually very funny...
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 1:43:45 PM
Yes, sometimes. Mostly the same reasons. I write a rude reply and delete it to write a more mature one. Happens sometimes in mafia as well. I get excited and post in caps and put exclamation marks and then realize that I need to be more level headed for people to take me seriously and change the post.

In debates, I do this constantly to get under the character limit (although it would be editing rather than abortion).
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 1:44:41 PM
Have you heard of the story of some old president (Lincoln perhaps) who wrote a long, scathing reply to general and kept it in his drawer and never sent it?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 1:47:39 PM
I do this usually only when I'm angry. I'll type out a nasty message or reply to someone, read over it feel evil and gratified then delete it. However, on occasion, I let my emotions get the better of me and I click send or add or whatever and then deal with the repercussions of my temper.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 1:37:10 PM

I completely missed this as a joke. I'm a fvcking moron.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 2:17:56 PM
I was actually thinking of making a thread about this earlier today. I do this sometimes. usually, there isn't much of a reason. I just can't be bothered continuing the conversation. Sometimes I'll just leave the text there, and forget about it. Only to come back a few hours later, and decide whether I post it or not.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2013 10:17:51 PM
...of replies.

I do this, too, for all the reasons you described. Sometimes I feel I delete more of my replies than I post. In fact, I just did this in another thread before coming here, but when I had finished typing it out, I just stopped and though, "Wow. What a dick thing to say."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 3:05:00 PM
At 5/24/2013 1:37:10 PM, drafterman wrote:

... I still don't get it.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 3:09:19 PM
...of replies.

I've done that several times, but most of the time if I type up a response I post it for better or worse.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 3:11:06 PM
At 5/23/2013 1:44:41 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Have you heard of the story of some old president (Lincoln perhaps) who wrote a long, scathing reply to general and kept it in his drawer and never sent it?

I have. Dale Carnegie talks about that at some length in "How to Win Friends and Influence People." I think Dorris Kearns Goodwin also talks about it in Team of Rivals, but it's been a while since I've read either.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 3:12:36 PM
At 5/26/2013 3:05:00 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

*sigh*

It's a really clever joke!
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 3:14:58 PM
At 5/26/2013 3:05:00 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I missed it too initially. DK's comment is a parody of pro-life arguments.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 3:17:31 PM
...of replies.

Yeah, I do this constantly. I'd probably have a couple thousand more posts if I didn't.

I think my reasons are pretty much the same as yours.
Debate.org Moderator
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 3:00:47 AM
I always go ahead and post my thoughts straight down without backspacing ideas. I only ever made grammar corrections when in forums. Its to allow optimal honesty and transparency with my thoughts which is a personal obligation I make myself do. So I have never aborted a post, even if it isn't worth saying.

I also do it while in mafia, which makes it rather hard while scum and easier while town. Don't really mind though :)
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 3:10:33 AM
Lol.

Yes. I do this all the time. I recant many times where I wrote out several paragraphs and then decided that I didn't care, and erased it all.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 11:23:00 AM
I lol'd reading DK's reply
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 9:30:05 PM
At 5/24/2013 10:17:51 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
...of replies.

I do this, too, for all the reasons you described. Sometimes I feel I delete more of my replies than I post. In fact, I just did this in another thread before coming here, but when I had finished typing it out, I just stopped and though, "Wow. What a dick thing to say."

I'm with you on that. I sometimes post stuff then think to myself what the fvck did I post and why. Some times I'm just a total blond. :P
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 10:00:29 PM
At 5/26/2013 3:11:06 PM, YYW wrote:

I have. Dale Carnegie talks about that at some length in "How to Win Friends and Influence People." I think Dorris Kearns Goodwin also talks about it in Team of Rivals, but it's been a while since I've read either.

That was exactly where I found it. When I first read it, I assumed that it was common knowledge that I was unaware of. Interesting that you also found it in Dale Carnegie's book.

Btw, how did you like the book? I thought there were a few useful things but he never goes into enough depth. For instance, he suggests listening to people but in general, most people find it boring to talk with someone who listens most of the time. Someone's got to do the talking.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 10:57:20 PM
At 5/27/2013 10:00:29 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 5/26/2013 3:11:06 PM, YYW wrote:

That was exactly where I found it. When I first read it, I assumed that it was common knowledge that I was unaware of. Interesting that you also found it in Dale Carnegie's book.

Btw, how did you like the book? I thought there were a few useful things but he never goes into enough depth. For instance, he suggests listening to people but in general, most people find it boring to talk with someone who listens most of the time. Someone's got to do the talking.

I was just coming out of elementary school when my father made me read it... as best I can remember, I liked it and found it useful but I'd have to reread it to give a good review of it. Among the most useful bits that I do remember though: remembering names, being interested in other people and in the things that other people are interested in, being willing to let others take credit, inspiring competition to bring out the best in people, and holding unnecessarily harsh criticism are all good things to do. How to Win Friends and Influence People is a pretty seminal, albeit "happy go lucky" work in the cannon of self improvement though. Do I think most people should read it? Probably. Do I think it's the final word on the subject? Hardly. It's a bit dated too... and if one followed Carn.'s recommendations to the letter, people might like you -but think of you as pretty naive.

The one line that I still remind myself of though, and I think the most important piece of advice in the book is the quote that goes something to the effect of:

"I shall pass this way but once. Whatever good I may do here, let me do it now for I will never walk this path again."

Brilliant advice, if ever any was given.
Tsar of DDO