Jump to topic:

WSA Explains Semi-Inactivity

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 10:03:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Running a business is ridick. Hired five guys, two from the Congo and one from Belgium. Bought a gas can, a pressure washer, a hatchet, mini rollers, 6-in-1s, paint, and caulk. I do marketing, estimates, sales, meet tons of people, budget time, prepare presentations, do paperwork, drive everywhere, eat on the go, and play loud music. I'm stressed out, but I'm definitely growing from this experience.

My three goals for the summer:
Make $10,000+ by providing services people value
Pack on 10+ pounds of muscle at the gym (M W F)
Meet 10+ people a day and make them smile (sub-goal of dating 10 girls)

K, I love you guys :)
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 11:00:27 PM
At 5/28/2013 10:03:50 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Running a business is ridick. Hired five guys, two from the Congo and one from Belgium. Bought a gas can, a pressure washer, a hatchet, mini rollers, 6-in-1s, paint, and caulk. I do marketing, estimates, sales, meet tons of people, budget time, prepare presentations, do paperwork, drive everywhere, eat on the go, and play loud music. I'm stressed out, but I'm definitely growing from this experience.

More power too you, man. I wish you the best in your entrepreneurial endeavors!
Tsar of DDO
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 11:12:13 PM

What does your business do?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:28:42 PM
Phantom explains semi-inactivity: Game of Thrones
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:41:13 PM
At 5/28/2013 11:12:13 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
What does your business do?

Exterior house painting. Stuff gets messy.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:42:16 PM
At 5/28/2013 11:00:27 PM, YYW wrote:

Love you, YYW :) I shall succeed and take you on a cruise.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:42:29 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:28:42 PM, phantom wrote:
Phantom explains semi-inactivity: Game of Thrones

It happens.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:43:22 PM
1. Marketing (lawn signs everywhere, door hangers, flyers, cold calling, networking, passing out business cards)
2. Estimates (meeting the clients, being friendly, calculating surface area, estimating labor hours and gallons of paint, getting a price with my profit and company profit, writing up a legal contract)
3. Sales (assumptive selling by presenting the contract, objection handling like a boss, getting the check or handling the rejection/postponement)
4. Scheduling (time management of estimates, marketing, production, appointments, presentations, training, etc)
5. Managing (advertising for interviews, interviewing--sizing people up, hiring, firing, leading people toward a common goal because they like, trust, and respect you, dealing with issues as they arise--putting out fires)
6. Production (briefing painters and production manager on the job at hand, getting the job done, dealing with issues, homeowner relations--being respectful)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:46:44 PM
Is that profit? Painting business must be booming? Are you qualified? Are you insured? Good luck bro. I could do with 10,000 bucks. :D

This is probably the easiest of your three goals. Eat, eat, eat then work out until you throw up. D: Then eat some more.

This sounds like one of the goals in the Lifestyle Challenge in 'Rules of the Game'. Is that what you're going for? Is it simply a confidence building exercise. It's a very, very useful exercise. I meet a fvckload of people doing my job and I try to make them smile, provided I get the sense they even want to smile.

xox
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:56:32 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:42:16 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I also wish you the best in your entrepreneurial endeavors. So, should I just send you a PM letting you know where to send my cruise ticket or something...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:59:17 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:46:44 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Is that profit? Painting business must be booming? Are you qualified? Are you insured? Good luck bro. I could do with 10,000 bucks. :D

Yessir, this is the biggest year for painting in American history. Also, it's been shitty since the Great Recession, so this is the year everyone waited until for painting. EPA certified (and got the ridiculous pictures to prove it), management, sales, marketing, leadership trained, $2,000,000 liability insurance, full workers compensation, licensed, and Sherwin-Williams trained painters.

This is probably the easiest of your three goals. Eat, eat, eat then work out until you throw up. D: Then eat some more.

Yes, papa bear!

This sounds like one of the goals in the Lifestyle Challenge in 'Rules of the Game'. Is that what you're going for? Is it simply a confidence building exercise. It's a very, very useful exercise. I meet a fvckload of people doing my job and I try to make them smile, provided I get the sense they even want to smile.

That's great! I'm doing the same thing you do, but I also go out to meet girls almost every day. I hate the pickup material from routines and sh!t. I love Real Social Dynamics (natural game), and material on happiness.

Whenever you feel blah just say this out loud enthusiastically: FEEL GOOD. BE HAPPY. BE PRESENT. TRUST (IN YOUR FACULTIES). WOOOOOO! *clap*
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:11:51 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:42:16 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I think you'll do well for yourself, WSA. I really do. But, I'd rather take you around Europe. We'd start in the Netherlands, go through Austria and end up in Bavaria. Europe is a place every American should see, and btw. it's fvcking awesome too.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:14:49 PM
Congratulations! I'm sure there's a good story behind the 'putting our fires' comment.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 1:12:03 PM
At 5/29/2013 10:14:49 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Congratulations! I'm sure there's a good story behind the 'putting our fires' comment.

The gas-powered pressured washer exploded, sending a large piece of metal from the engine out, nearly killing my production manager. The oil caught on fire and burned the grass. We replaced it at Lowes. It still sucks.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 2:17:37 PM
At 5/30/2013 1:12:03 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

The gas-powered pressured washer exploded, sending a large piece of metal from the engine out, nearly killing my production manager. The oil caught on fire and burned the grass. We replaced it at Lowes. It still sucks.

Ugh, I hate pressure washers. They will always suck, because they're pressure washers.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 8:47:46 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:59:17 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/29/2013 9:46:44 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Yessir, this is the biggest year for painting in American history. Also, it's been shitty since the Great Recession, so this is the year everyone waited until for painting. EPA certified (and got the ridiculous pictures to prove it), management, sales, marketing, leadership trained, $2,000,000 liability insurance, full workers compensation, licensed, and Sherwin-Williams trained painters.

Yes, papa bear!

That's great! I'm doing the same thing you do, but I also go out to meet girls almost every day. I hate the pickup material from routines and sh!t. I love Real Social Dynamics (natural game), and material on happiness.

Whenever you feel blah just say this out loud enthusiastically: FEEL GOOD. BE HAPPY. BE PRESENT. TRUST (IN YOUR FACULTIES). WOOOOOO! *clap*

How do you even go about even understanding what you need to get done to start a painting business? Like I didn't even realized you needed all those stuff such as liability insurance, EPA certification, and the sherwin-williams training.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:16:32 PM
At 5/30/2013 2:17:37 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Ugh, I hate pressure washers. They will always suck, because they're pressure washers.

Fvck 'em.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 9:19:18 PM
At 5/30/2013 8:47:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
How do you even go about even understanding what you need to get done to start a painting business? Like I didn't even realized you needed all those stuff such as liability insurance, EPA certification, and the sherwin-williams training.

I'm part of Student Painters, which is a larger organization. It's basically an entrepreneurship internship that has a franchise flavor. I make nearly all of the decisions for my business. I do the marketing, estimates, sales, scheduling, management, etc. It's really difficult and stressful, but it will become better as the summer progresses.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 11:25:30 PM
At 5/30/2013 9:19:18 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/30/2013 8:47:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I'm part of Student Painters, which is a larger organization. It's basically an entrepreneurship internship that has a franchise flavor. I make nearly all of the decisions for my business. I do the marketing, estimates, sales, scheduling, management, etc. It's really difficult and stressful, but it will become better as the summer progresses.

I seriously can't think of any crack to make about this right now. Maybe one will occur to me later.

Does it involve a lot of math?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 7:53:43 AM
At 5/30/2013 2:17:37 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 5/30/2013 1:12:03 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I think they are the coolest design of fast water out there. It's so awesome. I have a blast power washing our house. Yeah. :P