Jump to topic:

Tired of Fakes?

CierraNicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 11:36:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am sooooo tired of people pretending to be who they're not! I mean, seriously, if you can't be who you really are, why even talk to people? If anyone here has gone through the same thing, let me know. I need advice. :P
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 11:46:28 AM
At 5/29/2013 11:36:24 AM, CierraNicole wrote:
I am sooooo tired of people pretending to be who they're not! I mean, seriously, if you can't be who you really are, why even talk to people? If anyone here has gone through the same thing, let me know. I need advice. :P

What do you mean "tired of people pretending to be who they are not?" Opinions wise or?
peterthepoledancingPANDA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:15:14 PM
Solution!
Dont believe everything you hear and if you cant accept someone for who they are, then dont bother them.
Poledancingpanda
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:18:47 PM
Fake people don't realize they're fake because they're lying to themselves too.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
CierraNicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:25:10 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:15:14 PM, peterthepoledancingPANDA wrote:
Solution!
Dont believe everything you hear and if you cant accept someone for who they are, then dont bother them.
Well, maybe I might be able to accept people for who they are if they were honest about their identity.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:26:31 PM

So... you don't like TV/Movies?
CierraNicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:28:19 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:26:31 PM, drafterman wrote:

So... you don't like TV/Movies?
It's not movies of TV that I have a problem with. I have a problem with real-life people meeting other real-life people and LYING right to them about their identity.
CierraNicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:38:37 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:33:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
If you know they're lying, doesn't that tell you something about their identity?
True, but if you started being friends with that person and actually liking them a little, and then you realized they might've been lying to you, wouldn't you be tired of it too?
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:40:41 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:38:37 PM, CierraNicole wrote:
If you know they're lying, doesn't that tell you something about their identity?
True, but if you started being friends with that person and actually liking them a little, and then you realized they might've been lying to you, wouldn't you be tired of it too?

That really depends on what they're lying about.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:44:10 PM

Everybody lies--it's part of the social protocol. Suspension of disbelief is as important for human relations as it is for movies or magic shows. People tell each other little white lies--"I love your dress!", "That's a great haircut."--to grease the wheels. And, certainly, when talking with a beautiful woman, our prefrontal cortices make sure that males substitute "You have really pretty eyes" for "MAN I'D REALLY LIKE TO FUCK YOU WITH WHIP CREAM AND CHOCOLATE SAUCE ON TOP". If everyone were indiscriminately honest all the time, I imagine our world would find itself ruined in hours.
CierraNicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:48:50 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:40:41 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Oh yeah? What if they're lying about their age? Say they said they're 16, and they turned out to be like...42?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 12:50:25 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:48:50 PM, CierraNicole wrote:

Oh yeah? What if they're lying about their age? Say they said they're 16, and they turned out to be like...42?

That would be most amusing.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 2:08:14 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:15:14 PM, peterthepoledancingPANDA wrote:
Solution!

Agreed 100%
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 2:11:35 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:44:10 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Everybody lies--it's part of the social protocol. Suspension of disbelief is as important for human relations as it is for movies or magic shows. People tell each other little white lies--"I love your dress!", "That's a great haircut."--to grease the wheels. And, certainly, when talking with a beautiful woman, our prefrontal cortices make sure that males substitute "You have really pretty eyes" for "MAN I'D REALLY LIKE TO FUCK YOU WITH WHIP CREAM AND CHOCOLATE SAUCE ON TOP". If everyone were indiscriminately honest all the time, I imagine our world would find itself ruined in hours.

Literary. I hate people who lie bout themselves. I think people lie bout themselves to others because they feel that it makes them important, and my attitude towards that is who cares. I don't care what you do or what not. Be yourself people will like you for you.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 2:21:36 PM
At 5/29/2013 2:11:35 PM, leojm wrote:

Literary. I hate people who lie bout themselves. I think people lie bout themselves to others because they feel that it makes them important, and my attitude towards that is who cares. I don't care what you do or what not. Be yourself people will like you for you.

Unlikely. If a husband tells his wife that she does look fat in those jeans, very few will thank him for his honesty and start going to the gym. If a guy tells his friend that he wants to screw his girlfriend, he'll probably get told off or punched in the face. If, during a date, a woman reveals that she prefers to be physically and emotionally intimate with multiple partners, only the polyamorous will appreciate her forthrightness. If you learn that your boyfriend has a shrine to you in his basement--the walls of which are completely covered with drawn or painted renderings of you--and ritualistically goes down there to masturbate after every conversation with you, I would be quite surprised to learn that you were completely alright with it.

Everybody lies. To others, about others, and to and about themselves.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 4:02:41 PM

Well, I would be unsure of their motives, and I would feel that is good reason to believe that their motives are untoward. As such, I would end the relationship, unless they can explain themselves reasonably, which I find unlikely.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 4:05:21 PM
what if you think that they're lying, but you're just being a paranoid jack@ss?
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
peterthepoledancingPANDA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 4:29:06 PM
At 5/29/2013 12:50:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

That would be most amusing.

See!?! someone gets the Joke:/
Poledancingpanda
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 6:16:26 PM

Fakes usually resort from seeking attention, desiring popularity or just out to get someone.
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 6:34:31 PM
At 5/29/2013 4:05:21 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

At 5/29/2013 12:42:43 PM, Cermank wrote:
Eat a snicker
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 6:37:08 PM
At 5/29/2013 6:34:31 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Eat a snicker

no i am absolutely serious
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 6:40:52 PM
At 5/29/2013 6:37:08 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 5/29/2013 6:34:31 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Eat a snicker

no i am absolutely serious

and I wasnt?
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 7:55:39 PM
At 5/29/2013 2:21:36 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/29/2013 2:11:35 PM, leojm wrote:

Unlikely. If a husband tells his wife that she does look fat in those jeans, very few will thank him for his honesty and start going to the gym. If a guy tells his friend that he wants to screw his girlfriend, he'll probably get told off or punched in the face. If, during a date, a woman reveals that she prefers to be physically and emotionally intimate with multiple partners, only the polyamorous will appreciate her forthrightness. If you learn that your boyfriend has a shrine to you in his basement--the walls of which are completely covered with drawn or painted renderings of you--and ritualistically goes down there to masturbate after every conversation with you, I would be quite surprised to learn that you were completely alright with it.

Everybody lies. To others, about others, and to and about themselves.

I would not be ok with that at all.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 8:13:21 PM
oh my god, just because my name is 'imabench' it doesnt mean im an actual park bench you sit on, JUST MOVE ON ALREADY
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 3:16:42 AM

Lying is part of what it means to be human; it is inseparable from what we are as people. We lie to others, by word, exaggeration or omission. We lie to our friends, our families and most of all to ourselves. Should we lie? No. If ever there was a universal ethical precept, it is that in the absence of honesty there is nothing, nor could there be anything -and so while we value the truth, we cannot help but dodge, circumvent, appropriate or bend it to our liking.

My advice is to accept that of all people, teenagers lie the most -to their parents, to their friends, etc. and those who lie often, with volition, do so because they want to be something other than what they are -usually greater. This fades with age. Teenagers, like southerners, "talk big" but that's it. Your friend, the fake, is growing up. Accept them for who they are, and hope that they will grow up. Usually they do, or they get throat punched in bar fights.
Tsar of DDO