Jump to topic:

Invisible

TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 8:38:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do you ever feel that way sometimes? Like your there but no one acknowledges you unless it's for something they want from or use you for whatever reason?
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 8:46:16 PM
At 5/29/2013 8:38:00 PM, TULIP wrote:
Do you ever feel that way sometimes? Like your there but no one acknowledges you unless it's for something they want from or use you for whatever reason?

All the time. :P
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 8:50:35 PM
At 5/29/2013 8:46:16 PM, leojm wrote:

All the time. :P

I feel like that right now. Been feeling like that for a while.
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:15:16 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:03:49 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
I'm acknowledging you right now. =D

*gives Ryuu a cookie*
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:22:44 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:15:16 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

*gives Ryuu a cookie*

*gives Budda a cookie for giving Ryuu a cookie*
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:24:57 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:22:44 PM, ishallannoyyo wrote:

*gives Ryuu a cookie*

*Gives ishall the cookie I got from Budda for giving Budda a cookie*
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:30:02 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:24:57 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

*gives Ryuu a cookie*

*gives Ryuu the cookie i got from Ishall for giving Ishall the cookie I gave to him*
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:49:56 PM
Interesting that girls would feel that way, considering guys are constantly ogling you. You did put in the modifier "unless they need you for something" which seems to explain it, so perhaps you simply aren't being noticed by the people you wish to be noticed by. I tend to get noticed because I play guitar and have long hair... not that that necessarily gets me what I want, but I do tend to stick out of the crowd.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:55:31 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:30:02 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 5/29/2013 9:24:57 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

*gives Ryuu a cookie*

*gives Ryuu the cookie i got from Ishall for giving Ishall the cookie I gave to him*

*gives Budda milk*
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 9:59:49 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:49:56 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Interesting that girls would feel that way, considering guys are constantly ogling you. You did put in the modifier "unless they need you for something" which seems to explain it, so perhaps you simply aren't being noticed by the people you wish to be noticed by. I tend to get noticed because I play guitar and have long hair... not that that necessarily gets me what I want, but I do tend to stick out of the crowd.

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:01:05 PM
At 5/29/2013 9:55:31 PM, Maikuru wrote:

*gives Budda milk*

and with no cookie what good will this do me? Sheesh, always late Maikuru, always frackin late -_-
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:03:24 PM
The real question here Samantha is, who is it that you want to notice you? Because its not just in general, at least I'm sure it isnt, as nobody ever is completely and entirely ignored. But people are sometimes ignored by those that they want attention from, thus leaving them feeling invisible.

-Special Thanks to Rob1billion for pretty much saying this first
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:10:33 PM

That is a condition of the species, I'm afraid. Anyone you interact with has a vested interest in speaking to you, just as you have the same for anyone else, even if it's as ordinary as seeking the uplifted feeling of someone's company or the warm feeling of being benign or charitable. Helping others to Christ is even motivated by the pleasure of persuading someone successfully and doing what you think is your duty before God. I don't think it's such a terrible thing, wanting things from people. I also don't think it's so terrible to be invisible. You can learn a lot by remaining in the background, under the radar. People trust you more easily this way--and I have seen how many on this site have come to trust you. Estrangement can be strength as well as a weakness, depending on how you wield it.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:12:54 PM

I feel just the opposite most of them time when I'm in a social gathering. I feel like I"m noticed a little too much, and I'd like to be more invisible.

Funny you would bring this subject up today. Last night, I was reading a book called Physics of the Impossible, and there's a chapter in there on invisibility cloaks. Pretty cool stuff.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:24:15 PM

From time to time. I actually like not being acknowledged though. I literally am the guy who wears sunglasses inside of buildings just because I don't want people to stop and talk to me. I usually have earbuds in my ear whether they're playing music or not too. If the sunglasses don't discourage people, the earbuds usually do. Although if I see someone -like a friend or acquaintance- out, I'll waive -but I'll only waive, most of the time.
Tsar of DDO
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:25:22 PM

Maybe you feel that way because you have so many brothers and sisters.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:56:03 PM
At 5/29/2013 10:24:15 PM, YYW wrote:

From time to time. I actually like not being acknowledged though. I literally am the guy who wears sunglasses inside of buildings just because I don't want people to stop and talk to me. I usually have earbuds in my ear whether they're playing music or not too. If the sunglasses don't discourage people, the earbuds usually do. Although if I see someone -like a friend or acquaintance- out, I'll waive -but I'll only waive, most of the time.

You should just stay home, methinks. Then you can enjoy your senses of sight and hearing.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:59:06 PM
At 5/29/2013 10:56:03 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 5/29/2013 10:24:15 PM, YYW wrote:

You should just stay home, methinks. Then you can enjoy your senses of sight and hearing.

I like being one in a crowd, on a sidewalk, in airports, etc. I actually especially like airports, for that very reason. Detroit and Schiphol are probably my favs.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 11:06:03 PM

Sure. But really everyone has a vested interest. Some are just more pleasant (for you) than others. Someone just wants you to buy them cigarettes, that's annoying. Someone just wants to make the naughty with you, fun (this view apparently varies). It's not a matter of you disliking it when people just want something from you. It's that some things people want (attention) are more annoying than others (friendship).

But yeah, aside from that, I get it. Being instrumental to some end that yer not exactly in to is lame. Just know that it happens to everyone from time to time.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 12:24:22 AM
In all honesty, I feel like that because a lot of people know me as a Christian person even my family and most of them don't want anything to do with me including my family (besides the ones I live with). Sometimes it's nice to have someone to talk to from time to time outside of home to idk I guess relate to in a sense. But I guess being a Christian makes it hard for people to accept that about me. So Im just gonna be content with what I do have. God, my family, church, and all of you guys here on DDO (that do talk to me anyways).

Thank you everyone that commented and for your kind words of encouragement. God bless. :)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 12:29:05 AM

"Give all you can give, lest you regret not giving enough but never give too much, for nothing may remain for yourself."

As already stated by the wise-beyond-his-years, Cody-Mo'Fo'ing-Franklin, this is part of the human condition. I know absolutely nothing about you, but you yourself may actually be guilty of only acknowledging certain people when you want something. We're selfish little imps, we humans and that's not going to change.

I solved this issue by fire; when I was 22 I was so fvcking depressed. I had no job. I was in a sh!t relationship with a cvnt of a girl, I was being used up by a scum bag mother and my circle of friends consisted of a barrel of self-important, self-centered arseholes and jerks. But the biggest problem was me and my own insecurities. I lied to embellish myself. I felt bad all the time.
So dropped all of the above overnight and went and lived on a river under a tarp for a few months, reading and reflecting above who I actually wanted to be and who I wanted to have around me and I never looked back.
I don't recommend anything quite so drastic (what worked for me may not work for anyone else) but the problem is almost always internal. The external you almost can never change. People are always going to want something. People are always going to put their interests first. You either have to come to grips with the fact that you're not important or you have to make yourself important.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 12:59:43 AM
I think Tv is my new personal hero. I always wanted to be homeless.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 3:33:22 AM
At 5/30/2013 12:29:05 AM, tvellalott wrote:

"Give all you can give, lest you regret not giving enough but never give too much, for nothing may remain for yourself."

As already stated by the wise-beyond-his-years, Cody-Mo'Fo'ing-Franklin, this is part of the human condition. I know absolutely nothing about you, but you yourself may actually be guilty of only acknowledging certain people when you want something. We're selfish little imps, we humans and that's not going to change.

I solved this issue by fire; when I was 22 I was so fvcking depressed. I had no job. I was in a sh!t relationship with a cvnt of a girl, I was being used up by a scum bag mother and my circle of friends consisted of a barrel of self-important, self-centered arseholes and jerks. But the biggest problem was me and my own insecurities. I lied to embellish myself. I felt bad all the time.
So dropped all of the above overnight and went and lived on a river under a tarp for a few months, reading and reflecting above who I actually wanted to be and who I wanted to have around me and I never looked back.
I don't recommend anything quite so drastic (what worked for me may not work for anyone else) but the problem is almost always internal. The external you almost can never change. People are always going to want something. People are always going to put their interests first. You either have to come to grips with the fact that you're not important or you have to make yourself important.

I think I'm sticking with this, "You either have to come to grips with the fact that you're not important or you have to make yourself important." First part, "...come to grips that I'm not important...." Makes sense.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2013 7:10:19 AM

When my druggy brother wants money from me he calls. But any other time he could care less if I'm dead or alive. I never do give him money though cuze he would spend it all on drugs and alcohol. Plus I need to save up my money for college. It's bad enough I have to work double shifts now. But at school I 'm the center of attention constantly. So I guess maybe I don't relate to you :/
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:27:10 AM
At 5/30/2013 7:10:19 AM, leojm wrote:

When my druggy brother wants money from me he calls. But any other time he could care less if I'm dead or alive. I never do give him money though cuze he would spend it all on drugs and alcohol. Plus I need to save up my money for college. It's bad enough I have to work double shifts now. But at school I 'm the center of attention constantly. So I guess maybe I don't relate to you :/

It's all good :)
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:28:19 AM

Ogling me?? Who's ogling me?? And I understand what you mean though.
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:30:46 AM
At 5/29/2013 10:03:24 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
The real question here Samantha is, who is it that you want to notice you? Because its not just in general, at least I'm sure it isnt, as nobody ever is completely and entirely ignored. But people are sometimes ignored by those that they want attention from, thus leaving them feeling invisible.

-Special Thanks to Rob1billion for pretty much saying this first

Thanks.
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:31:36 AM
At 5/29/2013 10:12:54 PM, philochristos wrote:

I feel just the opposite most of them time when I'm in a social gathering. I feel like I"m noticed a little too much, and I'd like to be more invisible.

Funny you would bring this subject up today. Last night, I was reading a book called Physics of the Impossible, and there's a chapter in there on invisibility cloaks. Pretty cool stuff.

Who's the author?
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 2:33:09 AM
At 5/31/2013 2:28:19 AM, TULIP wrote:

Ogling me?? Who's ogling me?? And I understand what you mean though.

Checking you out, i.e. undressing you with their eyes
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion