Jump to topic:

What?

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:14:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have this kind of lock on my door (for clarification).

My mother just came into my room to talk. When she left, I got up and discovered the door was locked. The problem is, if you lock it when it is open, it can't shut because the latch sticks out (it locks from the inside, obviously). How could have ended up locked?

Has anyone experienced this? I'm repeating Hume's principle about miracles to myself over and over to keep my universe from shaking at the edges.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:17:58 PM
At 6/3/2013 12:14:23 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

My mother just came into my room to talk. When she left, I got up and discovered the door was locked. The problem is, if you lock it when it is open, it can't shut because the latch sticks out (it locks from the inside, obviously). How could have ended up locked?

Has anyone experienced this? I'm repeating Hume's principle about miracles to myself over and over to keep my universe from shaking at the edges.

Oh all the time. I locked myself out of the house once, spend the whole night outside, till my parents came the next day and let me in. I was 17 years old when this happened.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:23:10 PM
At 6/3/2013 12:17:58 PM, leojm wrote:

Oh all the time. I locked myself out of the house once, spend the whole night outside, till my parents came the next day and let me in. I was 17 years old when this happened.

Wait wait wait. What lock do you have and how did this occur?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:24:44 PM
Some locks of that kind can be closed if the knob is turned on one side of the door or the another, withdrawing the bolt so that that the door can be closed, then releasing the knob so that it slides shut. Usually, in this case, the door is inoperable from the opposite side that it was turned to close it. In other words, only one side of the knob is inoperable while locked, the other works just fine.

Your mom also could have just locked it for some bizarre reason.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:27:29 PM
That's happened to me twice before. When I closed the door, it was partially locked (the latch was only somewhat extended). Someone then came into my room and, upon closing it again, accidentally extended the latch fully and locked me in.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:30:45 PM
At 6/3/2013 12:23:10 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 6/3/2013 12:17:58 PM, leojm wrote:

Wait wait wait. What lock do you have and how did this occur?

well i think it was like yours. I think if it's kind of half locked then when you shut the door, i think the vibration forces the lock to fully lock. That's what I think happened.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 2:20:44 PM
Very strange. You should seek help from qualified professionals to solve this mystery. So... Who ya gunna call?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 3:31:13 PM
At 6/3/2013 2:20:44 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Very strange. You should seek help from qualified professionals to solve this mystery. So... Who ya gunna call?

A locksmith?
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 4:15:18 PM
At 6/3/2013 3:31:13 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

A locksmith?

I'm reminded of the "Call a locksmith!" part of Robin Hood: Men in Tights. I couldn't find a good clip of it, though...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 4:29:49 PM
I guess this doesn't help?

"GARDNER: So what? The fact is, they were found in a locked room. It's not physically possible for someone to have gotten into the room to commit the murder.

JANE: Yes. There's the rub. The key was in the door. Watch closely.

JANE gets the key from the doorframe and unlocks and opens the door.

JANE: Rigsby, would you please go inside and lock the door?

RIGSBY hands JANE a newspaper he is holding and takes the key as Jane asked. Jane unfolds the newspaper)

JANE: Suppose Jared and Andine are inside sleeping.

JANE slides the newspaper under the door and uses a pen to knock the key out of the door and onto the newspaper, which he then slides back out through the gap under the door. He unlocks the door with a flourish, lets RIGSBY out and hands him back the newspaper)

BRECK: That's all very clever, but how do you get out again?

JANE locks the door from the outside, lays the key on the floor, gets some fishing line, which he twangs theatrically, before feeding it through the keyhole and back out under the door. He loops the end around the bottom of the key and pulls the other end so that they key is pulled up into the keyhole.

JANE: May I borrow your lighter, please?

GARDNER hands him his lighter.

JANE: Thank you.

JANE burns the fishing line where it disappeared into the keyhole and throws the lighter back to GARDNER. "
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 6:38:39 PM
At 6/3/2013 4:15:18 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/3/2013 3:31:13 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

A locksmith?

I'm reminded of the "Call a locksmith!" part of Robin Hood: Men in Tights. I couldn't find a good clip of it, though...

haha