Jump to topic:

are people at work nuts?

Wtnjetro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 9:28:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
ok, so I go through a month of May that's horrible. my boss yells at me, tells me if I don't get something done by Friday I might as well not report to work. Then I can't get it done but I don't get fired. There's other things also and I lose sleep for 4 weeks straight and have a crying fit at work. boss talks to me and says I must have misunderstood him and says I'm a great worker and he hopes I'll stay there the rest of my life. are people nuts or what?

I obsess about things and that doesn't help? anybody else work with people who are nuts?
Author of the book The Vast Wastelands of Unbelief published by Tate Publishing, frequent author of articles at www.lutheranscience.org
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 9:58:53 PM
I worked at a bank where my tasks were freelance. I had no strict plan to follow, just sort out multiple tasks as I wish. One day this blonde took over as the head of the department, and everything she said was nuts. For example, she insisted I tell her exactly when to come -- I resisted a whole minute, telling her it is up to her. She insisted further, and I said, "Sure. Every day, 2pm." Immediate response from her, "THAT'S A BIT LATE ISN'T IT?!" Not the only example of her stupidity.

That's how work often is. You meet the same idiots. Similar to school.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:31:43 PM
Go to this link, I think it will help you immensly with your problem.

http://learn.latpro.com...
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:52:55 PM
At 6/4/2013 10:31:43 PM, sadolite wrote:

Ugh, I've had the autocrat and the the blame fixer. The autocrat was the worst, because he had no idea what he was doing. I proposed a solution which, when I pulled teeth to get it implemented, was sixty times cheaper, actually effective, and eliminated a persistent customer complaint. He tried to torpedo it every time I brought it up, because it wasn't his idea, and then tried to take credit when it went through. Infuriating...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 10:59:36 PM
P1. Most people are nuts

P2. Most people have jobs

C. Most people at work are nuts
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Wtnjetro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 5:10:32 PM
I've seen that it must be a hiring requirement at every location that they hire at least one rude evil person. never can everybody at the job be great. I sometimes think they ought to keep a pyschologist on staff where I work at all times :)
Author of the book The Vast Wastelands of Unbelief published by Tate Publishing, frequent author of articles at www.lutheranscience.org
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 8:03:33 PM
At 6/4/2013 10:52:55 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/4/2013 10:31:43 PM, sadolite wrote:

Ugh, I've had the autocrat and the the blame fixer. The autocrat was the worst, because he had no idea what he was doing. I proposed a solution which, when I pulled teeth to get it implemented, was sixty times cheaper, actually effective, and eliminated a persistent customer complaint. He tried to torpedo it every time I brought it up, because it wasn't his idea, and then tried to take credit when it went through. Infuriating...

Ya, the general manager where i work is an autocrat. But luckily I came across this link awhile back and learned to just circumvent him with anything that has to do with my job. I rarely have to deal with him because like you said, he has no idea whats going on so he doesn't even notice when I do things that I am supposed to go to him to get authorization to do. I just do it and if he finds out, which is rarely, I just say "oh I'm sorry, I'll get you authorization next time." "It's easier to say your sorry than ask permission"
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 8:17:18 PM
At 6/4/2013 9:28:55 PM, Wtnjetro wrote:
ok, so I go through a month of May that's horrible. my boss yells at me, tells me if I don't get something done by Friday I might as well not report to work. Then I can't get it done but I don't get fired. There's other things also and I lose sleep for 4 weeks straight and have a crying fit at work. boss talks to me and says I must have misunderstood him and says I'm a great worker and he hopes I'll stay there the rest of my life. are people nuts or what?

I obsess about things and that doesn't help? anybody else work with people who are nuts?

Absolutely. I feel like pulling all my hair out. Some people just drive me so crazy. It's like really...c'mon, don't you have something better to do than get me tick off.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 7:43:38 AM
At 6/4/2013 10:59:36 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
P1. Most people are nuts

P2. Most people have jobs

C. Most people at work are nuts

we are most people.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 1:46:16 PM
Yes, people are nuts. It's amazing how often nutcase authoritarians succeed. People seem to admire decisiveness over rational decision making.

Rule 1 is never lose your temper. Never. Stay calm and carry on. Focus on getting the job done and view the boss as one of the natural obstacles to that. It is ever thus.

Rule 2. If the boss is truly intolerable, bail out sooner rather than later. Switch jobs or switch departments. It never gets better.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 1:49:08 PM
Men are so necessarily mad, that not to be mad would amount to another form of madness - Pascal
gordonjames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 3:26:54 PM
At 6/11/2013 1:46:16 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yes, people are nuts. It's amazing how often nutcase authoritarians succeed. People seem to admire decisiveness over rational decision making.

Rule 1 is never lose your temper. Never. Stay calm and carry on. Focus on getting the job done and view the boss as one of the natural obstacles to that. It is ever thus.

Rule 2. If the boss is truly intolerable, bail out sooner rather than later. Switch jobs or switch departments. It never gets better.

These are both amazing insights.

ALSO
- think strategically
you will seldom win a fight with the boss, even if you are right.
He is there because he won more fights.
That is a primary skill of management.
Wtnjetro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 8:52:31 PM
yeah I've realized that when the boss frieks out, if you lose your mind you'll only make it worse and sometimes if you stay calm and talk to him or her in a calm voice, you can bring it back down to Earth. I think in some circumstances bosses are just looking for a reason to fire you (I think they kinda get a sick twisted joy out of it) but if you don't lose your mind you won't give them a reason to. and later they'll be happy that you didn't give them a reason to.

but some people are overly emotional and act on that tendency. I, on the other hand, are rational and logical and if you engage them on that level some of them freak out because you're not losing your mind like them. I think secretly they know they can't control their emotionalism and it makes them mad that some people can. think of the way Bones (Dr. mccoy) on Star Trek would get mad when Spock wouldn't get all emotional like him.