Total Posts:102|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Give me an honest answer: Was I being a wuss?

Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 2:15:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
FYI: "wussy" was not actually the word wussy, I just decided to use that since it was easier than using the $'s and *'s everywhere.

So here's something that happened the other night. I had to pull an all-nighter because of an essay due the next day, but I was starting to get a little bit tired, so I decided to walk across campus to grab an energy drink from one of the vending machines.

Some background information: it's not uncommon to get e-mails about various crime things on or around campus. Forbes named the city the 8th most dangerous one in 2011. There was just an incident where someone had been held at gunpoint on campus not that long ago. Also, given that it's summer term, and that it's almost 3 a.m., it's a complete ghost town. It's not like it's next to a road or something and there are people driving by even. Just a completely dead spread out college campus.

Anyhow, I'm almost at the vending machine, and spot some guy walking in my direction. I had to cross a path at some point to get where I was going, so I decided to do it then (just subtly changing my angle, didn't make a right turn or anything). At that moment, that guy changes his angle too and starts walking up to me. He says, "Where you goin', bro?" and keeps walking directly towards me for no apparent reason. This is in an area that isn't lit up at night, too.

Here's where I was allegedly being a 'wussy'. At that point, I do this admittedly super awkward thing where I tell him that I was going to such and such place, but that I changed my mind and so I was going to go back to such and such now (I know, I'm cringing writing that). At that point it's too late to save myself- I realize he's just a drunk guy being an idiot in the middle of the week. Apparently he wanted a car ride at 3am from a random person walking around. He starts calling me a wussy and OBVIOUSLY wants me to retaliate. It's also very clear that he'll destroy me in a fight, so I mean, I don't have a whole lot of options. I start to walk away and so does he, but the whole time he's screaming "wussy" over and over at the top of his lungs. There was, like I said, nobody around, but it was really frustrating (and, in retrospect, funny).

But yeah, was I being a wussy? I mean, there's absolutely nobody around and this sketchy looking dude starts approaching me out of nowhere and asks me where I'm going. Does that not sound exactly like the way a late-night crime type thing would happen?
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 2:56:05 AM
At 6/6/2013 2:26:39 AM, Rusty wrote:
Actually, maybe the question should be this: I was being a wuss. In this context, was it smarter to be one though?

Definitely better safe than sorry. I personally would probably be too much of a wuss to go out and get the drink all together, in such a situation.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:26:45 AM
At 6/6/2013 2:15:18 AM, Rusty wrote:
FYI: "wussy" was not actually the word wussy, I just decided to use that since it was easier than using the $'s and *'s everywhere.

So here's something that happened the other night. I had to pull an all-nighter because of an essay due the next day, but I was starting to get a little bit tired, so I decided to walk across campus to grab an energy drink from one of the vending machines.

Some background information: it's not uncommon to get e-mails about various crime things on or around campus. Forbes named the city the 8th most dangerous one in 2011. There was just an incident where someone had been held at gunpoint on campus not that long ago. Also, given that it's summer term, and that it's almost 3 a.m., it's a complete ghost town. It's not like it's next to a road or something and there are people driving by even. Just a completely dead spread out college campus.

Anyhow, I'm almost at the vending machine, and spot some guy walking in my direction. I had to cross a path at some point to get where I was going, so I decided to do it then (just subtly changing my angle, didn't make a right turn or anything). At that moment, that guy changes his angle too and starts walking up to me. He says, "Where you goin', bro?" and keeps walking directly towards me for no apparent reason. This is in an area that isn't lit up at night, too.

Here's where I was allegedly being a 'wussy'. At that point, I do this admittedly super awkward thing where I tell him that I was going to such and such place, but that I changed my mind and so I was going to go back to such and such now (I know, I'm cringing writing that). At that point it's too late to save myself- I realize he's just a drunk guy being an idiot in the middle of the week. Apparently he wanted a car ride at 3am from a random person walking around. He starts calling me a wussy and OBVIOUSLY wants me to retaliate. It's also very clear that he'll destroy me in a fight, so I mean, I don't have a whole lot of options. I start to walk away and so does he, but the whole time he's screaming "wussy" over and over at the top of his lungs. There was, like I said, nobody around, but it was really frustrating (and, in retrospect, funny).

But yeah, was I being a wussy? I mean, there's absolutely nobody around and this sketchy looking dude starts approaching me out of nowhere and asks me where I'm going. Does that not sound exactly like the way a late-night crime type thing would happen?

I hate to say this but yes. You should have just kept going to your destination. Drunk people don't know what they are doing and are very slow at responding. So yeah you were. I'm sorry that I had to break it like this to you but I only say it how it is. :P
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:34:20 AM
Are you kidding? You were braver than I would have been. I would have ran. Not like increased my pace. Legit ran lol. I grew up in Camden; ducking and rolling was the name of the game. I've been chased and so has my brother by people wanting to do us harm and I don't give two sh!ts what I look like. Nobody should.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:38:25 AM
Did I mention I've also been mugged at gun point and robbed 5 times? Homie don't play that. If sh!t is going down and you see me running in the other direction, it's not to go change into my superhero costume lol.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:43:53 AM
At 6/6/2013 7:38:25 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Did I mention I've also been mugged at gun point and robbed 5 times? Homie don't play that. If sh!t is going down and you see me running in the other direction, it's not to go change into my superhero costume lol.

On the other hand, this is exactly what you'd expect a superhero to say if he's trying to throw off suspicion.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:47:40 AM
At 6/6/2013 7:38:25 AM, Maikuru wrote:

That's awful. =\ How were you approached? Were they just semi-relaxed about it because you were alone, or? I'm curious.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:51:02 AM
At 6/6/2013 7:26:45 AM, leojm wrote:

I hate to say this but yes. You should have just kept going to your destination. Drunk people don't know what they are doing and are very slow at responding. So yeah you were. I'm sorry that I had to break it like this to you but I only say it how it is. :P

What if the guy pulled out a weapon and executed him like a stray-dog?

There was nobody around to show off for; nobody around to look bad in front of either. Once you've decided it's a fight you can't win, that's all there is to it. There's no point in testing how badly you'd lose.

For that matter, nobody ever wins a fight -- somebody just loses a little less.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:56:52 AM
At 6/6/2013 7:51:02 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

There was nobody around to show off for; nobody around to look bad in front of either. Once you've decided it's a fight you can't win, that's all there is to it. There's no point in testing how badly you'd lose.

Well you run. Like I said people that are intoxicated have slow responses. And since Rusty is younger he can run faster. Now If he has a gun. That is a different story. Did he have any weapons on him Rusty?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 7:58:39 AM
At 6/6/2013 7:56:52 AM, leojm wrote:

Well you run. Like I said people that are intoxicated have slow responses. And since Rusty is younger he can run faster. Now If he has a gun. That is a different story. Did he have any weapons on him Rusty?

Run where? Straight to his destination? It seems to me that if the goal is to avoid the fight, he'd have to switch up his direction either way.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:04:47 AM
At 6/6/2013 7:58:39 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Run where? Straight to his destination? It seems to me that if the goal is to avoid the fight, he'd have to switch up his direction either way.

It's a full campus, it's not like he is surrounded by water on a little island. There is plenty places to run to. Unless if Rusty is unfit, than it's also a different story.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:05:34 AM

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but I don't think he did. My point was that I didn't know he was drunk at the time though. There was no reason to. Hell, it was the middle of the week and he wasn't even with friends. That's not the usual kind of college drinking you see here.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:06:45 AM
At 6/6/2013 8:04:47 AM, leojm wrote:

It's a full campus, it's not like he is surrounded by water on a little island. There is plenty places to run to. Unless if Rusty is unfit, than it's also a different story.

You've changed what you're position is here.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:10:51 AM
At 6/6/2013 8:06:45 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

How? I'm still saying he needs to run if the guy has a weapon, but not in the wrong direction. I'm not changing my position at all.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:17:45 AM
At 6/6/2013 8:10:51 AM, leojm wrote:

How? I'm still saying he needs to run if the guy has a weapon, but not in the wrong direction. I'm not changing my position at all.

You started out saying he should have kept kept going towards his destination, and just a minute ago you were talking about all the other places he could run away to. He can't run away and stay on-course at the same time, so either you're saying he should have stayed on-course, in which case refer to my original response to you, or your saying he should have switched directions, in which case we agree.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:21:03 AM
At 6/6/2013 8:17:45 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

You started out saying he should have kept kept going towards his destination, and just a minute ago you were talking about all the other places he could run away to. He can't run away and stay on-course at the same time, so either you're saying he should have stayed on-course, in which case refer to my original response to you, or your saying he should have switched directions, in which case we agree.

No he needs to run to his destination, just not at a strait away. I think we are both right, it just depends on the situation.
MayorCheeseburger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:24:03 AM

Although my family moved around a lot as a kid, I have spent a considerable amount of time in Montreal. From going out quite a bit, I can tell you that there is nothing more dangerous than being out in the City in the wee hours of the morning. First people are pretty drunk at this point and the bars and clubs are emptying out pretty rapidly at this point. Also a lot of people are high on all sorts of weird sh@t and you'll find all of societies weirdos walking around. Just off the bat it's dangerous and when you compound that with the fact that a lot of people carry weapons when they go out, you have a volatile situation. A few months ago we got jumped when we were out drinking (cousins) by some Arab kids who we had "insulted". These @sshats thought there were two of us, and when we got outside they tried to surround us and these two started trying to punch us. Long story short we were holding our own when the rest of our group got there and then the cavalry came and scared them off. One of the kids dropped a bag and we found a Chef's knife inside and some other stuff. The good thing about this story is that I kept the Chef's knife since it was better than the one I owned before.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:27:28 AM
At 6/6/2013 8:24:03 AM, MayorCheeseburger wrote:

Although my family moved around a lot as a kid, I have spent a considerable amount of time in Montreal. From going out quite a bit, I can tell you that there is nothing more dangerous than being out in the City in the wee hours of the morning. First people are pretty drunk at this point and the bars and clubs are emptying out pretty rapidly at this point. Also a lot of people are high on all sorts of weird sh@t and you'll find all of societies weirdos walking around. Just off the bat it's dangerous and when you compound that with the fact that a lot of people carry weapons when they go out, you have a volatile situation. A few months ago we got jumped when we were out drinking (cousins) by some Arab kids who we had "insulted". These @sshats thought there were two of us, and when we got outside they tried to surround us and these two started trying to punch us. Long story short we were holding our own when the rest of our group got there and then the cavalry came and scared them off. One of the kids dropped a bag and we found a Chef's knife inside and some other stuff. The good thing about this story is that I kept the Chef's knife since it was better than the one I owned before.

wow, this is your first post? Congrats. :P
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:27:46 AM
At 6/6/2013 8:21:03 AM, leojm wrote:

No he needs to run to his destination, just not at a strait away. I think we are both right, it just depends on the situation.

I don't follow you. Once he's out of danger it doesn't really matter what pace he reaches his destination at. Also, you said he was being a wussy for changing his direction to avoid the fight. Are you saying it would be less-wussy for him to run away, even though that has the same outcome?
MayorCheeseburger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:31:31 AM
At 6/6/2013 8:27:28 AM, leojm wrote:

Well thank you
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:59:02 AM
At 6/6/2013 8:27:46 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 6/6/2013 8:21:03 AM, leojm wrote:

I don't follow you. Once he's out of danger it doesn't really matter what pace he reaches his destination at. Also, you said he was being a wussy for changing his direction to avoid the fight. Are you saying it would be less-wussy for him to run away, even though that has the same outcome?

What do you mean by the same outcome?
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 8:59:31 AM
At 6/6/2013 8:31:31 AM, MayorCheeseburger wrote:
At 6/6/2013 8:27:28 AM, leojm wrote:

Well thank you

No problemo. :P
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:07:01 PM
At 6/6/2013 12:05:40 PM, verrynice wrote:
You were only protecting yourself by walking away. I wouldn't call that being a wuss

You walk away once you will always walk away. You gata stand up and be a man. :P
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 12:23:27 PM
It's hard to gauge how much of a "wuss" you might have been. Florida, which is where I presume you're talking about, is a terrible, awful place. A wretched hive of scum and villainy.

However, you did make a mistake: You let him engage you. What business was it of his where you were going? That should have been your response; or something along the lines of "Out".

As a culture, we allow ourselves to be too polite; when someone stretches beyond the bounds of politeness, we often either hyper-over-react, or we try to be polite ourselves. It's what lets muggers and other unsavory characters take advantage of us.

The secret is to be on guard as soon as something's fishy, and to realize that he's the a-hole. He changed direction to intercept you in the middle of the night. He asked an invasive question.

I feel like you were less of a wuss for running away, than perhaps you were for being nervous about the confrontation in the first place. And I don't think that was a wussitide of character, but one of indecision, that fear of looking like the jerk, or the scared one, by responding before it's warranted. A lack of a prepared mind, perhaps.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!