Jump to topic:

How Do You Sleep?

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 1:05:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What position do you sleep in? What time do you usually fall asleep? Do you dream? Can you fall asleep in cars, trains, buses? Bathrooms?!
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 1:13:09 PM
Your preferred p.m. pose could be giving you back and neck pain, tummy troubles, even premature wrinkles. Here are the best positions for your body -- plus the one you may want to avoid.
Health.com: 7 tips for the best sleep ever

The Best: Back position
Good for: Preventing neck and back pain, reducing acid reflux, minimizing wrinkles, maintaining perky breasts.
Bad for: Snoring
The scoop: Sleeping on your back makes it easy for your head, neck, and spine to maintain a neutral position. You're not forcing any extra curves into your back, says Steven Diamant, a chiropractor in New York City. It's also ideal for fighting acid reflux, says Eric Olson, M.D., co-director of the Mayo Clinic Center for Sleep Medicine in Rochester, Minnesota: "If the head is elevated, your stomach will be below your esophagus so acid or food can't come back up."
Back-sleeping also helps prevent wrinkles, because nothing is pushing against your face, notes Dee Anna Glaser, M.D., a professor of dermatology at Saint Louis University. And the weight of your breasts is fully supported, reducing sagginess.
Consider this: "Snoring is usually most frequent and severe when sleeping on the back," Olson says.
Perfect pillow: One puffy one. The goal is to keep your head and neck supported without propping your head up too much.
Health.com: Celebrity sleep secrets, and what you can learn from them

Next Best: Side position
Good for: Preventing neck and back pain, reducing acid reflux, snoring less, sleeping during pregnancy
Bad for: Your skin and your breasts
The scoop: Side-sleeping is great for overall health -- it reduces snoring and keeps your spine elongated. If you suffer from acid reflux, this is the next best thing to sleeping on your back.
Now for the downside: "Sleeping on your side can cause you to get wrinkles," Glaser says. Blame all that smushing of one side of your face into the pillow. This pose also contributes to breast sag, since your girls are dangling downward, stretching the ligaments, says Health magazine's Medical Editor Roshini Rajapaksa, M.D.
Consider this: If you're pregnant, sleep on your left side. It's ideal for blood flow.
Perfect pillow: A thick one. "You need to fill the space above your shoulder so your head and neck are supported in a neutral position," says Ken Shannon, a physical therapist at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.
Health.com: 10 household tools for people in pain

Not Ideal: Fetal position
Good for: Snoring less, sleeping during pregnancy
Bad for: Preventing neck and back pain, minimizing wrinkles, maintaining perky breasts
The scoop: Outside of your mother's uterus, resting in a tight fetal pose isn't a great idea. When you snooze with your knees pulled up high and chin tucked into your chest, you may feel it in the morning, especially if you have an arthritic back or joints, Olson says.
"This curved position also restricts diaphragmatic breathing," adds Dody Chang, a licensed acupuncturist with the Center for Integrative Medicine at Greenwich Hospital in Connecticut. And if you make this your nightly pose, you may bring on premature facial wrinkles and breast sag.
Consider this: Just straighten out a bit -- try not to tuck your body into an extreme curl.
Perfect pillow: One plump pillow -- the same as side position, to give your head and neck support.

The Worst: Stomach position
Good for: Easing snoring
Bad for: Avoiding neck and back pain, minimizing wrinkles, maintaining perky breasts
The scoop: "Stomach-sleeping makes it difficult to maintain a neutral position with your spine," Shannon explains. What's more, the pose puts pressure on joints and muscles, which can irritate nerves and lead to pain, numbness, and tingling.
"Think about the soreness you'd feel if you kept your neck turned to one side for 15 minutes during the day," Diamant explains. In this position you have your head to one side for hours at a time. You won't necessarily feel it the next day, but you may soon start to ache.
Consider this: Do you snore? "Stomach-sleeping may even be good for you," Olson says. Facedown keeps your upper airways more open. So if you snore and aren't suffering from neck or back pain, it's fine to try sleeping on your belly.
Perfect pillow: Just one (and make it a thin one) or none at all.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 1:20:08 PM
I think it's specifically your left side you have to sleep on to reduce acid reflux due to some arrangement of the stomach. I think sleeping on the right side causes it.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 1:33:04 PM
At 6/11/2013 1:05:31 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
What position do you sleep in? What time do you usually fall asleep? Do you dream? Can you fall asleep in cars, trains, buses? Bathrooms?!

On my back always.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 1:35:46 PM
If you can't sleep, take melatonin. It's natural and over-the-counter. Good for long plane flights. However, a few people get wild dreams from melatonin, so try a small dose first.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 1:40:04 PM
Or perhaps the toilet will always increase in comfort as everything else decreases in comfort...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 2:16:05 PM

On my stomach or my left side. When working I usually go to sleep by 1:00 AM. Now, it's more like 4:00 AM.

I usually fall asleep in my bed or on the couch.

I do dream. Usually they're pleasant dreams, but that has not always been the case.

I can fall asleep anywhere with the proper medication, but without it, I just don't sleep.
Tsar of DDO
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 3:44:54 PM
I sleep on my right side.

Occasionally I remember my dreams. Sometimes they are brutal and disturbing.

I got around 4 hours a night during the school year, but need 9 hours to function well. I usually go to sleep around 1:30 A.M.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 4:36:44 PM
What position do you sleep in?

Usually on ma face.

What time do you usually fall asleep?

Very late usually, or some nights ill fall asleep early and sleep for like 15 hours.

Do you dream?

Sometimes.

Can you fall asleep in cars, trains, buses? Bathrooms?!

Depends on how much I've had to drink ;)
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 5:59:38 PM
On my stomach with one of my hands under the pillow.

Or whatever random position I find comfy at the time. Like hugging my pillow with both my arms and legs.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:19:13 PM
At 6/11/2013 5:59:38 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Or whatever random position I find comfy at the time. Like hugging my pillow with both my arms and legs.

This. For real is how I sleep.

Doggy style when I'm in the mood.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:19:43 PM
At 6/11/2013 6:19:13 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

The mood to sleep doggy style. Not, whatever perverted thing you were just thinking.
Nolite Timere
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:38:27 PM
At 6/11/2013 6:19:43 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

The mood to sleep doggy style. Not, whatever perverted thing you were just thinking.

Hugging the pillow or arm under it?
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:44:29 PM

Sides, sometimes front, rarely back. I don't really have a usual time, night time when I'm going to college. I do dream, but I don't remember as much in the days after as I used to. When I used to start falling to sleep, I used to get little flashbacks of the previous night's dreams every so often, hasn't happened in a while. I can't fall asleep in anything that moves because I fall and it wakes me up; I'm a very light sleeper. Bathrooms, I don't know, it'd be hard to, because they're uncomfortable.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:45:36 PM
At 6/11/2013 1:20:08 PM, PrivateEye wrote:
I think it's specifically your left side you have to sleep on to reduce acid reflux due to some arrangement of the stomach. I think sleeping on the right side causes it.

Dr. Oz says not to sleep on your left side. http://www.doctoroz.com...
yang.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:46:03 PM
At 6/11/2013 1:35:46 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
If you can't sleep, take melatonin. It's natural and over-the-counter. Good for long plane flights. However, a few people get wild dreams from melatonin, so try a small dose first.

Thanks for the advice.

May the best man win!
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:46:12 PM
What position do you sleep in?
Back or my right side, cocooned in all my blankets and comforters
What time do you usually fall asleep?
12:00-1:00 am
Do you dream?
Yes, they're often bizarre, and never really good or bad. Just like real life, only weird and surreal. I can remember certain incredibly vivid and strange ones perfectly, but they're pretty rare.
Can you fall asleep in cars, trains, buses? Bathrooms?!
Only if I'm exceptionally tired, sick, drugged, or drunk.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:49:29 PM
I read that the back's best for your neck and other things, but it can put your back in a bad position. I just find it hard to sleep on my back most the time though.

May the best man win!
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 6:49:41 PM
At 6/11/2013 6:38:27 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 6/11/2013 6:19:43 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Hugging the pillow or arm under it?

Most of the time with my arm under it. However, I do sleep completely hugging the pillow occasionally. It's just comfy man.
Nolite Timere
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 7:01:01 PM
At 6/11/2013 4:47:13 PM, Mirza wrote:
How I sleep is private, but I wonder how Danielle does it with ViVeri constantly shouting my name in her sleep?

You deserve a high-five.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 9:28:51 PM
At 6/11/2013 4:47:13 PM, Mirza wrote:
How I sleep is private, but I wonder how Danielle does it with ViVeri constantly shouting my name in her sleep?

LOL they haven't been together in years and since both of them rarely post it's odd that you'd randomly mention them.

Anyway, I sleep in the fetal position, or with one leg extended from it. My cat curls up behind my knees. I like to have sex before I go to bed, and being that it's been a very long time for me I must rely on habitual masturbation to get the job done. The cat waits by the door for me every night until I'm done, then I let him in and we get into position. My biggest issue sleeping is cutting off circulation to my arms, because I like to rest my head on my lower arm and if it's not correctly positioned I will wake up with no feeling in it. So yeah, picture the fetal position with the lower arm sticking straight up and the lower leg sticking straight down and that's me.

I dream in cycles of about a month; in the troughs I don't dream and in the crests I dream heavily. I used to have many bad dreams as a child, but now that I am older and more secure in my own skin my dreams are rarely stressful (or especially pleasurable, for that matter). There is no discernible pattern to what I dream about; I do tend to dream about relevant things in my life more often now than in the past. Dreams have little relevance or mystery to me, I consider them simply thoughts and I can usually tell why I had one. I have many nonsensical dreams but it seems to me that my mind is just being creative while I sleep.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 1:32:04 AM
Anyway, I actually have extremely vivid dreams very often. And very strange, at that.

Just a few nights ago, I dreamed I was looking at a cow. Suddenly, the cow turned purple and it's back legs turned into eels and floated away.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord