Jump to topic:

Any other ASMR freaks out there?

DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 8:15:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, I thought I was pretty much alone in this aspect, but then I discovered there's a whole friggin' community of other ASMR people (though I think we are still the minority). For those who don't know about this obscure, esoteric thing, ASMR is a pleasurable, tingly sensation you get in the head in response to some kind of visual or auditory stimuli.

What really triggers it for me is listening to people speak softly and/or watching people focus closely on a particular task (e.g. Bob Ross). It's a fantastic, calming feeling that helps anxiety (not that I have a frequent problem with anxiety) and helps me sleep.

At the risk of being judged as a strange, strange human being, I have converted several random soft-spoken youtube videos into AVI files so that I can watch them anytime to relax and/or sleep. Apparently, there are ASMR-specific videos on youtube but I find it more difficult for these to trigger my ASMR, though I'm not sure why; maybe it's simply knowing that they are trying to trigger it on purpose? Some do work, but many don't.

Anyway, anyone else get this?

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 8:19:04 PM
Is it something you would realize right away? I think Koopin brought it up a long time ago, and I remember being curious and listening to some of the videos... nothing happened. Is it something that's obvious right away, or?
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 8:28:23 PM
At 6/13/2013 8:19:04 PM, Rusty wrote:
Is it something you would realize right away? I think Koopin brought it up a long time ago, and I remember being curious and listening to some of the videos... nothing happened. Is it something that's obvious right away, or?

It might not happen for you right away, no. And it might happen for you in response to every video that aims to trigger it (as said, I have trouble with many of those).

Other than that, I don't want to say anything specific except for my own experiences, since this phenomena appears to be (not surprisingly) difficult to study and widely undocumented.

Since I just recently discovered ASMR was a thing, I've been using videos like this one that were intended for other random uses (skip the first 45 seconds): .

It's possible some are more prone to experience ASMR in response to female voices rather than male ones, or vice versa. Here's a good one (for me, anyway) that features a female and was made specifically to trigger to ASMR: .
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 8:29:37 PM
At 6/13/2013 8:28:23 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 6/13/2013 8:19:04 PM, Rusty wrote:

It might not happen for you right away, no. And it might not happen for you in response to every video that aims to trigger it (as said, I have trouble with many of those).

Other than that, I don't want to say anything specific except for my own experiences, since this phenomena appears to be (not surprisingly) difficult to study and widely undocumented.

Since I just recently discovered ASMR was a thing, I've been using videos like this one that were intended for other random uses (skip the first 45 seconds): .

It's possible some are more prone to experience ASMR in response to female voices rather than male ones, or vice versa. Here's a good one (for me, anyway) that features a female and was made specifically to trigger ASMR: .

Fix'd.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 8:33:41 PM
I'm afraid I haven't experienced that. It sounds very interesting, though.

On a somewhat related note, I too love Bob Ross. In college, I would legit skip classes to catch his show. Watching his show is about the closest thing to an unusual sensory relaxer as I've experienced.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 8:42:09 PM
At 6/13/2013 8:36:43 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
When I listen to music, I get a pleasured. Does that count?

I think if you have to ask whether or not you're feeling it, you're most likely not unfortunately.

"[ASMR is] a distinct, pleasurable tingling sensation in the head, scalp or peripheral regions of the body in response to visual, auditory, olfactory, and/or cognitive stimuli." It's like goosebumps, but on your head or in your mind. It's blissfully relaxing. Does that describe what you experience?
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2013 9:02:43 PM
Some pieces of music strongly induce this feeling in me, as does listening to skilled oratory. Sometimes reading gives me this feeling even more strongly. The most recent example was Milton's Paradise Lost.
I came upon this verse:

Abashed the Devil stood
And felt how awful Goodness is, and saw
Virtue in her shape how lovely
And pined his loss.

It tore through me aesthetically; my skin felt like it would rise off me, and I began breathing manually, if that makes any sense.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 11:45:00 AM
I get it when I hear the sound of and the smell of the fuel of a top fuel funny car making a pass at the drag strip. Sends shivers down my spine.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 11:57:45 AM
I can do it on command, but of course it's stronger when there's some sort of stimuli << I tend to avoid those kinds of stimuli though, because it can get real overbearing real quick, and me no likey.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:06:47 PM
I get it through my body, a bit. I can control it most of the time. I just recently heard about it too, through: >>>

I don't know if I qualify for it or not.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 6:03:29 PM
At 6/16/2013 2:06:47 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
I get it through my body, a bit. I can control it most of the time. I just recently heard about it too, through: >>>

I don't know if I qualify for it or not.

Ah, I love the sound of typing.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 6:09:07 PM
I love rain, chalk on board and occasional cars too. :P

I don't know how to tell if I have ASMR though, I don't get tingles in my forehead. :P
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 6:48:58 PM
I like certain sounds, but it's nothing special. I like ambient sounds, like rain, especially if it's hitting a metal or rough ceiling, the sound of waves and so on. There are these iPad apps which let you combine all these sounds to make your perfect loop, which you can use when sleeping, if you want,
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 8:58:07 AM
I get these, but they're nothing to do with sound. I get one every time I watch the Charlie Chaplin Speaks video, at the ending of the Dark Knight and throughout Skyfall.

I think they're encouragement of some sort, like how your brain injects you with natural opiates when you understand something. Or they are for me anyway. Each person probably programs their own, or has their own programmed for them.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 8:59:53 AM
I have also perhaps been somewhat neglectful of my calling and so I still feel them. I'd imagine everyone gets them, just most are numbed to them by now.

Seems pretty reasonable.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 9:09:17 AM
At 6/17/2013 8:59:53 AM, PrivateEye wrote:
I have also perhaps been somewhat neglectful of my calling and so I still feel them. I'd imagine everyone gets them, just most are numbed to them by now.

Seems pretty reasonable.

Though I have taken a considerable amount of psychoactive drugs so maybe not...

They're actually very like the rushes you get off cocaine or speed
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 9:34:06 AM
I get in during movies, powerful video clips, music, nature, and after being on fire telling jokes or talking to people.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 9:44:45 AM
At 6/13/2013 8:15:00 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
So, I thought I was pretty much alone in this aspect, but then I discovered there's a whole friggin' community of other ASMR people (though I think we are still the minority). For those who don't know about this obscure, esoteric thing, ASMR is a pleasurable, tingly sensation you get in the head in response to some kind of visual or auditory stimuli.

Wait... what? This is esoteric? I thought everyone had this.

What really triggers it for me is listening to people speak softly and/or watching people focus closely on a particular task (e.g. Bob Ross). It's a fantastic, calming feeling that helps anxiety (not that I have a frequent problem with anxiety) and helps me sleep.

At the risk of being judged as a strange, strange human being, I have converted several random soft-spoken youtube videos into AVI files so that I can watch them anytime to relax and/or sleep. Apparently, there are ASMR-specific videos on youtube but I find it more difficult for these to trigger my ASMR, though I'm not sure why; maybe it's simply knowing that they are trying to trigger it on purpose? Some do work, but many don't.

Anyway, anyone else get this?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Uh, yeah. All the time. My primary trigger has been getting a hair cut, but I generally have to have my eyes closed and breath through my nose (being congested ruins it).

Also, having people trace letters or symbols on my back.

Certain voices do it, but I've noticed that I can develop a "tolerance" if you will, and certain voices won't do it anymore. Soft spoken voices work, as do certain accents.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 9:48:14 AM
At 6/13/2013 8:36:08 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
I guess you could consider me one too. Accents especially!

Yes. I also have notice that - for me - it is something that builds up in waves of intensity. It starts out small, almost niggling (like an on coming sneeze). Then fade, then comes back in greater intensity. I perceive it as starting in the back of my head and eventually spreading into my entire scalp is tingling.

It is pleasurable, but not sexual, though I would certainly rank it up there with orgasmic in terms of the magnitude of pleasure.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 9:52:29 AM
I find that I have to strike a balance between concentrating on the sensation and not. It is very easily disturbed and ruined by outside stimuli (I can't do it if I'm trying to focus on any task in particular, or even paying attention to anything else, hence having my eyes closed). However, I've noticed that I've I'm focusing too hard on trying to will the sensation, it doesn't work either, as if it was shy. Basically I just have to clear my mind and let it happen.

With the voice stimuli, it is simply the tone of the voice, even paying attention to what is being said can ruin it.
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 3:28:33 PM
I knew I wasn't crazy! I get this a lot when I walk into a unfamiliar room. It's the best when the room is fairly large and is kind of dark. Sometimes I can walk into closets that I haven't visited for a long time and get ASMR too. I have asked my doctors about it before and they just pretended they didn't hear me. :D Hehehe I knew it all alooonggg....