Jump to topic:

Sex

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 8:05:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Personally, I view sex as a natural consequence of living a good life. I view it as a way to cement a moment and/or blow off some steam. It's important in my dating life, but I value adventurousness, trust, comfort, and connection similarly.

Ideas for your post:
1) What is the significance of sex in your life and in your relationships?
2) How do you view it?
3) Is sex something you save for marriage?
4) Is having a high-volume sex life morally permissible?
5) Does the conflict between social conditioning and biological drive produce cognitive dissonance in girls?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 8:12:57 PM
At 6/18/2013 8:07:20 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
If what you're blowing out is steam, you should see a doctor.

haha, I love you so big
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 9:24:26 PM
Blowing off steam and/or exploring/adventuring and having a good time has been my general attitude. That isn't to say that sex can't be used to connect with someone. I recognize and cherish that effect even if monogamy isn't something I'm currently interested in. Of course I'm young and open to the fact that that attitude is highly likely to change in the future.

I also love making TUF excited with the mere utterance of PRIMA FACiE if that's at all related.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 10:17:22 PM
Sex holds a lot of significance in my life. I have an overly romantic view when it comes down to it. I would only have sex with someone that I love and am in a serious relationship with. I cannot do casual, except maybe if I was intoxicated. And even then, I would feel guilty.

I don't have to wait until marriage, but it does have to be the right girl.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 9:23:14 AM
I would say there's a good deal of shame associated with sex for most men anyway. I'd say this is so for you too WSA, unless you're troll that is. Your arguments against wanking would definitely suggest so anyway :p

For me, I grew up in the traditional family setting, both parents, happy family. But then when it came to me finding my wife, my love, for my happy family, there was quite a lot of choice... and so was born a good deal of guilt and shame.

That didn't stop me having sex, however. That alcohol is a killer. But I've always been shy of starting anything very serious with anyone because of these feelings.

It's like the scene in Skyfall where the pretty girl gets shot and James Bond blames the whiskey ;__;

Everyone's not like me though of course. But we're all in and around the same as usual. You, WSA, might be filling your life with other people, don't you think? But if you go about it in a way that's good then fair play dude. It's definitely something you should be wary of though. It's not all roses.

Sex can obviously be a very damaging thing. I don't know what to say here really. It's very obviously tied to everything that is us. The idea of keeping it pure as seen in the religions isn't all that ridiculous.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 10:56:25 AM
it's also interesting how eastern religions are less tolerant of deviance than western ones. this is to do with that shame most likely, perhaps better managed in that sense, but also so very wrong i think.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 11:12:23 AM
At 6/19/2013 10:57:08 AM, PrivateEye wrote:
i think kids should be raised by the government :3

Arent they already essentially?
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 11:17:34 AM
At 6/19/2013 11:12:23 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

even more so.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 1:47:22 PM
At 6/19/2013 11:17:34 AM, PrivateEye wrote:

even more so.
Yes, so long as it's a fascist-right-wing government!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 1:48:40 PM
At 6/19/2013 1:47:22 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 6/19/2013 11:17:34 AM, PrivateEye wrote:

even more so.
Yes, so long as it's a fascist-right-wing government!

no, a left-wing opposite of fascist government!
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 2:36:42 PM
At 6/18/2013 8:05:56 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Personally, I view sex as a natural consequence of living a good life. I view it as a way to cement a moment and/or blow off some steam. It's important in my dating life, but I value adventurousness, trust, comfort, and connection similarly.

Ideas for your post:

I have a fairly high sex drive and so does my girlfriend, so sex is quite significant in our relationship.

2) How do you view it?

As a fun hobby shared with my girlfriend; sometimes it's very romantic, sometimes it's very aggressive.

No.

Of course.

5) Does the conflict between social conditioning and biological drive produce cognitive dissonance in girls?

Not all girls, no.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:06:28 PM

Although it depends on the relationship, sex tends to be of significant importance in all of them (and of paramount importance in some). There are a ton of health benefits to sex in addition to aspects that can strengthen a relationship from both a biological (neurological and emotional) as well as psychological standpoint.

2) How do you view it?

Sex is incredibly beneficial and minimally problematic. I personally don't have to worry about pregnancy scares, and my chances of getting STDs are probably lower than yours statistically speaking. I can't think of any negatives surrounding sex, unless one or both partners have (body/confidence) issues, lack of sex drive, or lack of chemistry. Jealousy over previous sexual partners can be an issue for some people I suppose, but that links back to confidence.

No. Especially since I can't get married.

Sure, why not? Consensual and responsible sex has no negative moral value that I can think of.

Absolutely. Here's a nice, short and to the point article on it.

http://nymag.com...
President of DDO
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:07:06 PM
At 6/18/2013 9:24:26 PM, Noumena wrote:
Blowing off steam and/or exploring/adventuring and having a good time has been my general attitude. That isn't to say that sex can't be used to connect with someone. I recognize and cherish that effect even if monogamy isn't something I'm currently interested in. Of course I'm young and open to the fact that that attitude is highly likely to change in the future.

I also love making TUF excited with the mere utterance of PRIMA FACiE if that's at all related.

Hmm, you're gay, right? So... what is it like (not graphic please)?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:08:45 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:06:28 PM, Danielle wrote:

Didn't you say that you were going to get married?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:14:44 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:07:06 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 6/18/2013 9:24:26 PM, Noumena wrote:

Hmm, you're gay, right? So... what is it like (not graphic please)?

I don't think one can describe having sex without putting some sort of visual image in someone's head.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:18:04 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:06:28 PM, Danielle wrote:

Although it depends on the relationship, sex tends to be of significant importance in all of them (and of paramount importance in some). There are a ton of health benefits to sex in addition to aspects that can strengthen a relationship from both a biological (neurological and emotional) as well as psychological standpoint.

2) How do you view it?

Sex is incredibly beneficial and minimally problematic. I personally don't have to worry about pregnancy scares, and my chances of getting STDs are probably lower than yours statistically speaking. I can't think of any negatives surrounding sex, unless one or both partners have (body/confidence) issues, lack of sex drive, or lack of chemistry. Jealousy over previous sexual partners can be an issue for some people I suppose, but that links back to confidence.

Sure, why not? Consensual and responsible sex has no negative moral value that I can think of.

Absolutely. Here's a nice, short and to the point article on it.

http://nymag.com...

Danielle. If you dont mind me asking you...........Why cant you get married.
PrivateEye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:22:13 PM
i like how my post runs "IF TIES" reading the capital letters of each paragraph down along then in the last paragraph posits that sex is obviously tied to everything we are and thus purity of sex isn't all that ridiculous an idea.. i didn't mean that to happen, eerie no?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:24:20 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:18:04 PM, inferno wrote:

Oh, okay. The semantics game. I'll clarify: The government does not legally recognize whatever long-term, committed, romantic relationship that I engage in.
President of DDO
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:26:25 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:24:20 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 6/19/2013 3:18:04 PM, inferno wrote:

Oh, okay. The semantics game. I'll clarify: The government does not legally recognize whatever long-term, committed, romantic relationship that I engage in.

You mean like gay marriage.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:26:44 PM
@Mouthwash, if you want to know how I (or people sharing my preferences) do the deed I'd be happy to link you to some top notch sites.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:31:45 PM
At 6/18/2013 8:05:56 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Ideas for your post:

A romantic relationship may or may not be necessary for sex, because sex can mean different things at different times -but that much is fairly obvious. There are passing or casual hook ups, "date sex" and the sex one has when one is in a relationship with someone else. I think that most go through a period of "sexual awakening" in which you realize both who you are attracted to, and then act on that attraction, which usually begins around early adolescence.

For me, from the time I was a senior in high school to when I was a sophomore in college, I tried to hook up as often as possible. I went out to bars, was very highly social and on more than a few occasions spent the night outside of my own bed. I guess one could say that I was trying to be a "Brian Kenny" type. At that time, a serious relationship never even crossed my mind -but casual dating was fun.

2) How do you view it?

Sex means different things in different circumstances.

No.

Yes.

I think it's the societal conditioning that pulls on one direction from the remnants of victorian sexual morality, and the incessant ubiquity of sex in the other direction. On the one hand, a girl who has a lot of sex is called a whore/slut/tramp, but on the other hand women are constantly sexualized by men in almost everything they do. It's perverse the "double" double standard (double, intentionally used twice) that men place on women regarding sexuality.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:36:34 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:31:45 PM, YYW wrote:

I think it's the societal conditioning that pulls on one direction from the remnants of victorian sexual morality, and the incessant ubiquity of sex in the other direction.

This seems as good a time as ever to catch yer thoughts on Foucault's treatment of the Victorian repression thesis in History of Sexuality.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:38:31 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:26:44 PM, Noumena wrote:
@Mouthwash, if you want to know how I (or people sharing my preferences) do the deed I'd be happy to link you to some top notch sites.

I wouldn't recommend it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:39:37 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:36:34 PM, Noumena wrote:

I think it's the societal conditioning that pulls on one direction from the remnants of victorian sexual morality, and the incessant ubiquity of sex in the other direction.

This seems as good a time as ever to catch yer thoughts on Foucault's treatment of the Victorian repression thesis in History of Sexuality.

To put it simply: I agree with what he's saying. I think as time goes on, we see more and more that Foucault was right.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:41:34 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:39:37 PM, YYW wrote:

To put it simply: I agree with what he's saying. I think as time goes on, we see more and more that Foucault was right.

That's an ambiguous response. Though I suppose it's warranted given the OP.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 3:42:56 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:38:31 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/19/2013 3:26:44 PM, Noumena wrote:

I wouldn't recommend it.

http://downloads.xdesktopwallpapers.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:17:17 PM
At 6/19/2013 3:41:34 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 6/19/2013 3:39:37 PM, YYW wrote:

That's an ambiguous response. Though I suppose it's warranted given the OP.

I woke up about twenty minutes ago, dude. It takes a while for the lights to come on. If you want to talk Foucault though, let's do it in the philosophy section. ;)
kyree_lover
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2013 3:19:42 PM
At 6/18/2013 8:07:20 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
If what you're blowing out is steam, you should see a doctor.

Not really. It does the same thing for me. I have sex and then all the stress just goes away. Maybe you need to go to a doctor. Js.